Rams Cuts Begin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DEFENSIVE LINE (7): A'Shawn Robinson, Aaron Donald, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines, Michael Hoecht, Jonah Wiliams, Bobby Brown III

It’s really cool to see Michael Hoecht and Jonah Williams make this team. Awesome.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm OK with the sarcasm.
The Rams have a questionable blocking ability at RB, although Sony may improve that situation somewhat, but I'm just as concerned about our IOL's blocking, and which TE steps-in to help, and how effective we can expect him to be. jmo.
I just get a kick out of it. Multiple people every year are dead set on us adding a FB. And every year, so far, we don't ever come close to doing it. One of these years we made add one. I just haven't seen anything in his offense or his play calling that would lead people to think he would use and take advantage of a FB.

TexasRam

Legend
This has been fun.

I just realized that I have been on the Forum much of the day following roster moves, and not once have I checked for up-dates on the Boobies and Booty threads in Off Topic.
Your well on your way from Perv to Poster. Look at you go!:laugh2:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I just get a kick out of it. Multiple people every year are dead set on us adding a FB. And every year, so far, we don't ever come close to doing it. One of these years we made add one. I just haven't seen anything in his offense or his play calling that would lead people to think he would use and take advantage of a FB.

A few teams use FB's quite effectively, seems McVay prefers to use a blocking TE as Fisher did before him, but McSnead did draft a FB during McVay's first season here, so I can't rule out his possibly showing interest in the position again one day. A big strong HB/FB would also help on those short yardage plays which can keep our RB's out of harms way, especially with all the concern over RB injury. jmo.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
I'm really happy with this roster.
Glad Williams and Hoecht made it. Perkins and AJ Jackson too.
Glad they kept (so far) both young safeties Juju Hughes and JR Reed.
CBs #5+ weren't that impressive.
So for Nickel we go Big Nickel with a 3rd Safety. Juju and Burgess can cover. JR looked good in coverage too tho' that's not his rep IIRC.
We will need a few more cuts for Hecker/Shelton/FA RB
Obo can go, Howard can go, BigSkow to IR.
Be interesting to see who passes waivers.
Good day so far.

BC

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Who's on your mind?
I'm looking for another young & hungry back who can take a beating and dish it out. Depth behind our one two punch of Hendo & Sony. I'm not very excited over The Funk. He deserves some time to develop but i just don't see anything special.

I like Gore but there's no way he's available when the Rams start looking around.

I'm interested in any big HB that can block extremely well and have success in short yardage situations, ... Henderson & Michel are our 1 - 2 punch, don't think we need another in the same mold imo. Funk is either a Special Teams guy for 2021 or emergency fill if Hendo or Sony go down to injury, although I don't expect to see a lot of him starting this next season. The Rams can add a 3'rd/4'th guy to the 53 AND find an additional practice squad RB if they believe it's necessary. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few teams use FB's quite effectively, seems McVay prefers to use a blocking TE as Fisher did before him, but McSnead did draft a FB during McVay's first season here, so I can't rule out his possibly showing interest in the position again one day. A big strong HB/FB would also help on those short yardage plays which can keep our RB's out of harms way, especially with all the concern over RB injury. jmo.
And he was the only guy in that class to not make the team and never played a down in the league. I'm not denying that a power RB like Malcolm Brown wouldn't be usefull, I had us mocked at least once to take a nice downhill runner like Chubba Hubbard and last year mocked a few similar guys to us. But McVay's one matra all off season was team speed. If he's really serious about that how is taking a WR off the field for a blocking FB going to increase team speed? The running back we drafted can't block to save his life but he's got some wiggle and some decent speed and at just under a 4.4 40 time adds to that team speed. His every move this year points away from a FB not towards one, I'm not denying you ideas on why one would be good. I'm pointing out that if FB's were on the compass McVay would be heading in the opposite direction. Keep hoping for one but his current message leads me to believe you're going to be hoping for a while before you see one.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Didn't he have a history of fumbling at Missou ?

He did, and that's what got him in the doghouse of our then-coach Barry Odom. But he's extremely talented, big, fast, catches well out of the backfield, blocks well enough (you had to catch the ball and protect the QB at Mizzou if you wanted playing time.)

Malibu

Pro Bowler
He's also the kind of player you can use in a Taysom Hill role, to offer a running threat every now and then, and give defenses something else to prepare for.
Agreed on his role but to me all he is doing is taking up space to be a gadget player.

Not accurate, run first QB, doesn't trust his reads, holds the ball waaaaay too long you all saw it. The difference between Perkins and Hill are miles. Hill is decisive, and much more accurate.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I highly doubt both Hughes and Reed are still in the safety room one week from today. Seems the prime spot to cut to add a RB
I think Reed sticks and we are short at cb so I think both have a good chance. I would cut Ankrum and Perkins

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And he was the only guy in that class to not make the team and never played a down in the league. I'm not denying that a power RB like Malcolm Brown wouldn't be usefull, I had us mocked at least once to take a nice downhill runner like Chubba Hubbard and last year mocked a few similar guys to us. But McVay's one matra all off season was team speed. If he's really serious about that how is taking a WR off the field for a blocking FB going to increase team speed? The running back we drafted can't block to save his life but he's got some wiggle and some decent speed and at just under a 4.4 40 time adds to that team speed. His every move this year points away from a FB not towards one, I'm not denying you ideas on why one would be good. I'm pointing out that if FB's were on the compass McVay would be heading in the opposite direction. Keep hoping for one but his current message leads me to believe you're going to be hoping for a while before you see one.

If the Rams are going to apply a more balanced offensive attack as McVay has implied, then taking a speedy WR off the field doesn't really enter the equation very often, a FB would more likely take the place of an ineffective blocking TE, although in a McVay offense, your HB/FB would come in only situationally, he's not there to replace a RB unless it's a short yardage, goal line play or to block for the RB. The Rams are going with 4 TE's, other than Mundt, what kind of blocking are we expecting out of Hopkins & Harris ? And how effective was Mundt's run blocking during the 2020 season ? Perhaps he's enough, I'm just not convinced. Until the Rams develop a TE like Gronkowski or Mercedes Lewis, I may be seeking my blocker elsewhere. jmo.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams are going to apply a more balanced offensive attack as McVay has implied, then taking a speedy WR off the field doesn't really enter the equation very often, a FB would more likely take the place of an ineffective blocking TE, although in a McVay offense, your HB/FB would come in only situationally, he's not there to replace a RB unless it's a short yardage, goal line play or to block for the RB. The Rams are going with 4 TE's, other than Mundt, what kind of blocking are we expecting out of Hopkins & Harris ? And how effective was Mundt's run blocking during the 2020 season ? Perhaps he's enough, I'm just not convinced. jmo.
If a FB were going to add balance to the offense like you're saying why wasn't one added? We added two fast WR's in the draft and FA. We added a fast WR converting him to TE. We added a fast RB not a plodder. Everything he's done and said leads to speed not a plodding RB.

He wanted to balance the offense because we were slow and pedestrian last year. We had one run over 40 yards and 2 at 40 (one was a WR). We added a fast RB. We were tied for 22nd in 40+ yard passes with 6. McVay adds Harris, TuTu and DJax.

I get it you want a FB and you think McVay said he wanted one but I've yet to see any moves from him indicating a FB is in his plans. You'd think he would have added one at some point but he keeps ignoring it. He let Brandin Cooks go and never replaced him, he slowed the offense down for 2020 and regretted it mightily to the tune of adding nothing but speed on both sides of the ball.