Rams cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
A little off topic but any chance the Rams start Reynolds @ rt and sit Hav against the seahags?
None at all, this guy isn't going to get any better sitting on the bench. He was drafted to be the future, you gotta let him play.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
@CoachO,

I think I speak for a lot of people that it is really good to have you back and posting. You have a unique ability to cut through the peripherals and get to the meat of the subject. I for one missed your daily updates from camp.

Just wanted to say thanks and let you know you're appreciated!!

:cheers:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
First of all, thank you for the kind words.

Secondly, the thing I think that happens with a lot of people, they tend to look at players and base their opinions on who said player "was". Fans look at Tim Barnes and see the same guy who was forced into starting those four games at the end of 2013. He wasn't ready then. He came to training camp last year and was noticeably bigger, stronger and much more "ready" to be an NFL lineman.

IMO, he epitomizes the term developmental player. Fans tend to use that term in a negative sense. But by definition, it means that player DEVELOPS and continues to improve year in and year out. Tim Barnes has gotten better as an NFL player every year he has been here.

Can the same be said of Barrett Jones? While most of his issues were beyond his control, with the injuries he suffered, he nonetheless just didn't improve. Now, I see Rhaney fitting into the same "developmental" role as Barnes. I will be the first to acknowledge his upside. But he just isn't there yet.

The other thing I want to discuss. When people refer to Barrett Jones, almost universally his intelligence is brought up as being one of the reasons people had as to why they felt Jones should be considered the front runner. I chuckle when I see that, because, indirectly, it infers that Barnes is not intelligent. I can tell you first hand, that couldn't be further than the truth.

Finally, to all those who continue to see this center position as the biggest issue on the offense going into the season..... I think you should will be pleasantly surprised. If you ask me, you might want to turn your attention to the left about two positions. Our future HOF to be LT better figure it out pretty soon that he can't just show up and be successful at his level. All the physical tools in the world don't mean a thing, if you don't know what you're supposed to do from one play to the next.
CoachO I was hoping you would let us know what you thought about our LT and I got to say I'm very worried about our tackles, I hope Foles doesn't get killed.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Rhaney isn't close to being ready to play. Neither from a physical standpoint but more importantly from the mental aspect.

He seems to have caught everyone's attention with his continued use of the "cut block". The biggest reason to use that "technique" is because he isn't physically strong enough to get the job done otherwise. What some call athleticism, I call a lack of strength.

He continually gets shoved back into the backfield. While it may not end up with his man making the tackle, it more than likely disrupts the play. Forced the RB to change direction or makes the QB bale on the pocket prematurely.

At this point if D. Rhaney sees the field this offense will be worse for it. He will be at best the 5th Guard. And let's hope he isn't forced into any prolonged aging time at Center.
When I refer to Rahneys' athleticism, I'm referring to his speed and quickness. The guy doesn't look like a statue in there. he looks surprisingly quick on his feet for a big guy.

Not surprised with Barnes at all BTW. I always thought it was Barnes job to lose, based on playing experience.
I do wonder if he has upside though.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO,

I think I speak for a lot of people that it is really good to have you back and posting. You have a unique ability to cut through the peripherals and get to the meat of the subject. I for one missed your daily updates from camp.

Just wanted to say thanks and let you know you're appreciated!!

:cheers:
Thank you. Don't get used to it. Making a special appearance because it was warranted. Tim Barnes deserves the job and I just think that the continued bashing is unfair and unwarranted.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
When I refer to Rahneys' athleticism, I'm referring to his speed and quickness. The guy doesn't look like a statue in there. he looks surprisingly quick on his feet for a big guy.
He is a good athlete. Nobody can take that away from Rhaney, nor can they take away his will, effort, or willingness to step in, at not a whole lot of notice, and play the Guard position, in which he improved, probably day to day, but certainly, game to game. We've been discussing this for weeks, if not months, 3 Centers were not going to make it. Pure and simple, now pick your poison. Would have liked to see more of Jones at Guard, didn't see it. We have seen seen Barnes play both, and in real games. He's not flashy, but he's smart, and he plays to the whistle.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
.......... Now Barnes has won the job, I'm rooting for him, but he always struck me as being "Just A Guy", so I'm hoping that he won the job because he improved and not because the other guys were worse.
I almost want "Just A Guy" at center....
I want to get through an entire game without noticing the center position at all.
Kind of like the referees in a basketball game. You don't notice them until they screw up.
I noticed Scott Wells last year a little too much.

A55VA6

Legend
Rams released QB Austin Davis and OT Isaiah Battle.

Mannion made the 53.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CoachO I was hoping you would let us know what you thought about our LT and I got to say I'm very worried about our tackles, I hope Foles doesn't get killed.
Havenstien will go thru some growing pains. But I think he's gonna be a very good player. He "gets it".

Put his heart and work ethic into our LT and they would be impressive. But until Robinso figures out how to PREPARE as a professional, he will continue to struggle.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
When you have so many guys who lack experience on the line, even Barnes' scant experience at center can help out tremendously.

He seems to understand the mental part of the game. I think the physical part will come to him.

A55VA6

Legend
S Christian Bryant, TE Justice Cunningham, CB Brandon McGee, DT Louis Trinca-Pasat cut, RB Trey Watts put on reserve/suspended list

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This just shows how far down the shitter our center position is.
Ill take Barnes over Wells at least.
Who says it was really that close? If you're going by everything you read in the media you'd get that impression. If you read what @CoachO says you'd know things were never really that close. Trust me @CoachO knows what he's talking about. A lot of people are making assertions that are simply inaccurate and flat not true.
Most of us only have a few preseason games to go by. I am one of those that doesn't belive Barnes did much to separate himself from Jones and Rahney. I don't think any of the 3 are terrible, but none of them look to be above average either.
Unless Barnes continues to develop this year, he clearly isn't the long term answer at the position from what I've seen.

However. I would still take a healthy Barnes playing with 2 arms than a one armed Wells.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
On the bright side, it shows how much progress we've made that we now have to cut these very talented players.