Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Again, why over Kyle Shanahan? What are you sold on?

Well, if we landed Shanny I would do backflips. My only reservation on him was that after him and his dad parted ways with the Skins there were rumors of players not getting along with him. Him and Matty ice disagreed on a lot of things at first before they ironed out their issues. Again, these could just be rumors, but I don't want a coach that's going to have issues with players.

I have not heard a single negative thing about McVay from anybody that has played for, or coached with him. Not a single rumor. Nothing. Every single person loves him.

Both certainly are capable of being great head coaches. Both may end up being great. At this point in time, I just learn towards McVay because of the things players say about him. It speaks volumes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't see things breaking that way Dieter... Way I see it:

1. Denver will go balls out for Shanahan. His complementary BS towards them seems to echo what we've heard in the press. If Rams wait for him they'll strike out on him. The Joseph stuff is fluffed by the media IMO, he does not compare to Shanny as a candidate, neither does Toub, and Elway knows it.

2. Rams will go McDaniels. I suspect there's something in play with him and Caserio, who passed on the whiners' job but did not list why, i.e. he was not blocked like KC's guy that I know of. Familiarity and all that with Stan will win out and Stan gets his second shot at implementing the Patriots' Way.

3. Forty weiners will take a flyer on McVay. Family connection, red hair, all that. He's also in his first job so will take an offer to work for a dip$#!t owner.

4. Chargers will hire Mike Smith. They need a defensive guy, and Patricia is an option sure but Smith is the seasoned option who will be able to build that staff around existing guys like Whisenhunt.

Odd men out are Toub and Patricia.

I'm thinking this could be right on point, with the exception of Vance Joseph, Elway really liked him last time and maybe just maybe, Elway feels he's Mike Tomlin 2.0. But with the interview of Mike Vrable I believe he will be the Ram DC under McDaniels if this comes to fruition. I also think Mike Smith would be a huge mistake, he could not fix the defense in Atlanta, but that does strike me as a San Diego hire.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
...maybe? I can neither confirm nor deny this.

I think he's just the most reliable reporter consistently offering information. So I'm for sure paying attention to what he's saying.
You're good people, man.

And great contributions by everyone in this thread! Nearly 30 pages strong and nary a shithead comment in the whole damn chain. (Knock on wood)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
[av]http://prod.video.redskins.clubs.nfl.com/WAS/audios/dct/video_audio/2016/08-August//08_03_16_Andy_Benoit-1470235680.mp3[/av]

Good interview from Andy Benoit on Sean McVay back in August. I assume most have read his accompanying piece but there were a few things in here I found interesting.

Particular around 7:15, on how he feels around him. Benoit mentions that he feels smarter around him, not afraid to make a mistake or say something incorrect, because McVay won't judge him. He'll lift him up and teach him. That's an important quality because that's how you learn, from your mistakes. Around him you can learn openly and freely and improve, and that was just from a limited time with him. Imagine how his players must feel. Benoit didn't get that impression from a lot of coaches he met with, and it's an important quality in a HC. He naturally makes everyone around him better.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The more I read about him and the more I see Skins fans and players talk about him the more I'm starting to want him.

See to me it is when he talks about the game and his approach to players. All the talk from players and coaches is just icing on the cake.

I have a lot of faith in the guys' ability however he really needs a veteran staff.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Former Eagles exec Joe Banner talks about what to look for when hiring an NFL coach.

At the 10:05 minute mark to 11:15, Banner talks about Andy Reid being a controversial hire for them because he had never even been a coordinator before. Insightful discussion points...

At the 12:10 to 12:50 mark "single most important decision for your franchise will effect them for the next 3-5 years etc.

At the 13:00 min to 14:45 mark, Banner discusses how they spent 8 or 9 hrs with Andy Reid.

Banner talks about how you might get 4 and at best 9 hours with the HC candidate face to face and mentioned how scary it is because of whats at stake in such a short time.

Also speaks about being on both sides of the fence with wanting to hire candidates with playoffs/bye weeks and how important the candidate's current coaching position is in that time frame making the interview process complicated for all involved etc..

Many of the talking points you may have already had a grasp of the concept but to hear it from someone that has actually went through the process in detail is very enlightening.
Click the link and have a listen.

http://www.clammr.com/app/clammr/cr...program/episode.jsp?programID=895&pid=1699762

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
I don't see things breaking that way Dieter... Way I see it:

1. Denver will go balls out for Shanahan. His complementary BS towards them seems to echo what we've heard in the press. If Rams wait for him they'll strike out on him. The Joseph stuff is fluffed by the media IMO, he does not compare to Shanny as a candidate, neither does Toub, and Elway knows it.

2. Rams will go McDaniels. I suspect there's something in play with him and Caserio, who passed on the whiners' job but did not list why, i.e. he was not blocked like KC's guy that I know of. Familiarity and all that with Stan will win out and Stan gets his second shot at implementing the Patriots' Way.

3. Forty weiners will take a flyer on McVay. Family connection, red hair, all that. He's also in his first job so will take an offer to work for a dip$#!t owner.

4. Chargers will hire Mike Smith. They need a defensive guy, and Patricia is an option sure but Smith is the seasoned option who will be able to build that staff around existing guys like Whisenhunt.

Odd men out are Toub and Patricia.

In your scenario, the Vrabel interview would be the clandestine DC interview, hmmm...this makes too much sense, think you're on to somethin.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

Don't get why Stan is so fixated on the "patriots way."

We'll see how well that works once Belichick/Brady are gone. That's all it is right now.

The Steelers are a much better example to follow. 3 HC's since 1969 or whatever it is and all have won a super bowl. That's how you do it!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Mack, do you really think in today's day and age anyone would say that somebody did not give a good interview? Reports were that Anthony Lynn gave an outstanding interview too.

It's more a matter of them not saying anything about an interview.

I mean, word has gotten out through multiple sources that McVay knocked it out of the park with the Rams (and the 9ers). However, we've heard very little about any of the other interviews. Moreover, we've heard that the Rams are delving deeper into McVay as well as interviewing Mike Vrabel who's likely attached to Patricia (I don't think he's a McDaniel guy, but I could be wrong).

If I had to wager, the two I would think would really impress in interviews would be McVay and Patricia. I think Shanahan...might...interview well. I dunno how he'd come across. That's just honest. An exacting person can either come across as a breath of fresh air or as chilling, depending on perspective.

I understood that Anthony Lynn gave a good interview as well, but I'd be SHOCKED if he got out of Buffalo. Just shocked.

I guess those involved see it as a non-negative affair. Those applying can only gain from the experience and the winner gets the job. There's nothing to be gained by bad-mouthing a candidate...it may turn off candidates and you'll alienate a potential future employee.

The only ones who see it as a bloodsport are the fans. Everyone else involved see the need to treat everyone involved with dignity and respect.

There has been the occasional report of someone really tanking an interview... either being grossly unprepared or simply not understanding what the interview required, but it's rare beyond saying a candidate did poorly during an interview that details emerge...and usually the candidate is pretty aware and forthright about it.

Lastly, with all the resources available to HC candidates now, it should be harder for them to be really terrible. Not that everyone nails it, but I think the floor has been raised if nothing else...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With the S.Payton dream all but faded this is my wish list:
1. Shanahan
2. Patricia
3. McVay
4. McDaniels
5. McDonald(Ronald)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Moreover, we've heard that the Rams are delving deeper into McVay as well as interviewing Mike Vrabel who's likely attached to Patricia (I don't think he's a McDaniel guy, but I could be wrong).

Interesting spin Vrable being attached to Patricia, my feeling was they would be more interested in Patricia's OC, then DC, so I naturally attached Vrable to McDaniels who seems to be the least popular on different boards for some reason. Anyway thanks great points as usual as all of us await the outcome.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the S.Payton dream all but faded this is my wish list:
1. Shanahan
2. Patricia
3. McVay
4. McDaniels
5. McDonald(Ronald)

I'm all in on number 5 as long as he brings Hamburglar with him as his Defensive coordinator. We'd get a few more steals then I reckon.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams have more interviews lined up as coaching search continues

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

[www.ocregister.com]

The window has opened for the Rams to hire a new coach, but the view remains a bit clouded.

One week into their search, the Rams are known to have interviewed eight candidates, including a couple top candidates, but there’s no indication that a hiring is imminent. The Rams tentatively have interviews lined up in the coming days, including a significant one after this coming weekend.

Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff indicated last month that Jan. 10-12 represented the ideal time to hire a new coach, but Demoff also said he wouldn’t impose an artificial deadline on the decision.

Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, considered a top candidate, won’t be able to speak with the Rams until after the Falcons’ playoff game Saturday against Seattle. Shanahan had been scheduled to meet with the Rams last week, but weather prevented Rams executives from making the trip.

The Rams also tentatively have interviews scheduled with Miami defensive coordinator Vance Joseph and (according to a report from Sports Illustrated) Houston linebackers coach Mike Vrabel.

The Rams also have interviewed New England coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia, Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay, Buffalo offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn, Arizona offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin and Carolina assistant head coach Steve Wilks, plus their own interim coach, John Fassel. It’s possible that some of these candidates could receive second interviews.

The first domino in the offseason coaching game fell Monday, when Jacksonville retained interim coach Doug Marrone as its permanent coach. Marrone interviewed with the Rams over the weekend.

The Rams, Buffalo, Denver, San Diego and San Francisco still have openings, and from now on, it’s something of a game of “musical chairs.” The Rams would like to complete their interviews, but if more hires take place this week, the process could become accelerated.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I'm all in on number 5 as long as he brings Hamburglar with him as his Defensive coordinator. We'd get a few more steals then I reckon.
I can imagine the crowd with the "rubble rubble" cheer after an interception.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

View: https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/818707119595814912

yikes, even the niners job is better than the rams job.

There's no way in hell the 49ers job is better than the Rams job. They have batsh!t crazy ownership that is approaching Cleveland levels of dysfunction (evidenced by looking for their 3rd HC in 3 years after running off a guy who had made them a winner). They have no prospective QB on their roster and have far more holes than the Rams do. They play in a stadium that is far from their home market and is mostly empty on game days. That job is sh!t.