Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Things can turn on a dime, however, I'm starting to concur with @Merlin breakdown that the plan is a Patriot West with McDaniels as Head Coach, Nick Caserio as General Manager and Mike Vrable as the new Defensive Coordinator, much to the chagrin of some, however, things change day to day.

IMO, Demoff only focused on Jeff Fisher last time and the only other interview was Ray Horton, so I feel they are doing their due diligence to ensure they interview many to ensure they make the right hire. Will they go with somebody they feel is the ultimate fit? I sure hope so, but all we can do now is speculate.
I would prefer: Patricia-Caserio and Vrable IF this where a Patriots West Move! JMO

Zero

Pro Bowler
Things can turn on a dime, however, I'm starting to concur with @Merlin breakdown that the plan is a Patriot West with McDaniels as Head Coach, Nick Caserio as General Manager and Mike Vrable as the new Defensive Coordinator, much to the chagrin of some, however, things change day to day.

IMO, Demoff only focused on Jeff Fisher last time and the only other interview was Ray Horton, so I feel they are doing their due diligence to ensure they interview many to ensure they make the right hire. Will they go with somebody they feel is the ultimate fit? I sure hope so, but all we can do now is speculate.

Here's hoping Kroenke's love fest with NE doesn't force Demoff
to hire the wrong coach.Not a Mcdaniels fan,but if he is the choice,
then we'll have to hope he learned from his mistakes in Denver.
Come on York.You know you want him!

Last edited:

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Why he doesn't: It might take a while to grasp Shanahan's offensive concepts, as evidenced by the Falcons' disappointing showing in 2015. There are also the usual questions about assembling a staff and leading a group that come with your typical rookie coach.

I think this last statement from the article is the laziest attempt to fill out his section. I am sure he has more connections than any other candidate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...el-interview-Rams-head-coach-job-10844631.php

Texans assistant Mike Vrabel to interview for Rams' head coaching job
By Aaron Wilson

Updated 3:54 pm, Monday, January 9, 2017

920x920.jpg

Texans assistant Mike Vrabel to interview for Rams' head coaching job

Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel is scheduled to interview for the Los Angeles Rams' head coaching vacancy next week following an AFC divisional-round playoff game against the New England Patriots, according to sources not authorized to speak publicly.

The Texans granted permission to the Rams to interview Vrabel.

A former New England Patriots All-Pro outside linebacker, Vrabel is highly regarded in NFL circles and regarded as a rising star in the coaching industry. One of the most pivotal moves of the Texans' offseason by general manager Rick Smith and coach Bill O'Brien was collaborating with owner Bob McNair to convince Vrabel to stay with the AFC South champions after he was offered the San Francisco 49ers' defensive coordinator job.

Vrabel declined an offer from a since-fired Chip Kelly to become the 49ers' defensive coordinator after interviewing for the job last year, landing a hefty raise from the Texans for resisting the overture. The 49ers pursued Texans secondary coach John Butler after Vrabel turned them down, but he opted to remain with the Texans' staff.

"Great football coach," O'Brien said when asked about the Rams' interest in Vrabel on Monday. "Communicates well, very knowledgeable of the game. Beyond football, great family guy, father, husband. We have a lot of guys like that on our staff. Very proud of this staff. The staff has done a nice job this year of preparing the players and being in the position we're in. Mike's a big part of that. He does a great job for us."

Vrabel is regarded as a tough, passionate coach who relates well to his players. The former Patriots standout has a demanding style, but also communicates well. He's been instrumental in the development of Jadeveon Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, John Simon and Benardrick McKinney with veteran Brian Cushing remaining productive under his coaching tenure.

"The sky's the limit for Mike, he's a natural," said University of Texas coach Tom Herman last summer of his friend and former Ohio State colleague. "We're watching the career of a head coach in the NFL unfold right before our eyes. When that happens and when the right time is, nobody knows. If I was a betting man, I would surely bet he will be a head coach in that league before too long."

Herman is admittedly not impartial when it comes to Vrabel, but what he's saying carries legitimacy and is being echoed in NFL circles.

"Vrabel has that 'it' factor you can't teach," an NFL executive told the Chronicle on condition of anonymity. "You can see that what he was like as a player - a tough, smart, determined guy - translates very well to what he does now as a coach. He's a huge part of what the Texans are doing on defense. I can tell you that he's on a short list with a bunch of teams as a defensive coordinator candidate.

"He's such a good leader that I could also see him skipping a step and being a head coach without going the coordinator route. You can see why the Texans stepped up to keep him."

Although the 49ers made Vrabel their first choice and offered him the job, he felt his top option was staying in place with the Texans.

"Being a young coach in this profession and in this league, it's always great to have people want to interview you for opportunities," Vrabel said before this season. "In the end, what's best for us and me is being here."

Vrabel earned three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots.

The hard-nosed Akron, Ohio, native recorded 704 career tackles, 57 sacks, 11 interceptions and forced 17 fumbles. He doubled as a red-zone target for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady as a tight end, catching 10 touchdowns on 10 career receptions.

Now, Vrabel is imparting his knowledge and passion from his 14 years playing in the league in his third year coaching for the Texans and his sixth year coaching since retiring following the 2010 season with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I think you're always learning and trying to study the game and trying to understand schemes and concepts," Vrabel said. "The biggest thing in coaching is being able to reach your players. The schemes can be great. The concepts can be great, but until you make that connection with your players and get them to believe they're getting better and they can see they're getting better and you're giving them ownership of the room and having conversations and dialogues. That's been the biggest thing for me as a coach is trying to make a connection with the players. Once you can set the hook, you got their attention."

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I've accepted that Callahan won't come with him. But he might bring the Asst OL coach with him, who was with Callahan in Dallas and this past season in Washington. I'm not averse to a hungry young OL coach who's had a couple seasons under Callahan's wing, provided he has performed well enough for them to consider him.

Admittedly, Callahan is a pipe dream, and I don't expect we'll see him wearing anything with a Rams logo on it next year even if McVay is the guy. However, I do like your idea ... anyone that can competently coach this OL would be awesome.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Riddick is feeding that BS. ESPN analyst who is on the 9er's list as a prospective GM. But none of that matters because these coaches aren't like fans, they have their own take based on extensive film work and league connections. So I agree with you, it's not close. Rams' job is second only to the Broncos, and I personally think that one is personal opinion as I like the Rams' QB situation and external elements far more.

I might add that Elway is probably an overbearing presence in Denver, and is probably not the easiest guy to work for. He seemed to get more credit for the Broncos Super Bowl win than Kubiak did. In LA, the new coach is going to get every chance to be The Man.

It will be telling to see in the next year or two if Kubiak's health makes a "miraculous" recovery and he goes back to coaching, a la Urban Meyer.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Charley Casserly Says He’d Be Surprised If Sean McVay Was Hired This Year

Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay has interviewed for the head coaching jobs with the Rams and the 49ers, and he’s reportedly “crushed them both.” Therefore, it would appear that despite his age and lack of experience with overseeing a full team, he’s a serious candidate for the two openings. Charley Casserly talks about McVay and the other head coaching candidates.

Listen to Casserly Talk Head Coach Candidates
I find it hard to believe that Casserly is able to accurately assess that without
being in a single interview room.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...aching-tracker-the-latest-on-interviews-moves

Coaching tracker

Los Angeles Rams

» Los Angeles is planning to interview Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, per Rapoport.

» Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel is set to interview after the Texans-Patriots Divisional Round playoff game if Houston loses, per Rapoport.

» Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will interview after Atlanta's playoff game against the Seahawks, Rapoport reported.

» Jaguars interim head coach Doug Marrone interviewed with the team Sunday, per Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager.

» Bills interim coach Anthony Lynn interviewed with the team Sunday, Schrager reported.

» Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay interviewed Thursday, Rapoport reported.

» Patriots OC Josh McDaniels interviewed with the team over the weekend.

» Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia interviewed with the team last week.

» Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin interviewed Thursday.

» Panthers secondary coach and assistant coach Steve Wilks interviewed on Jan. 3.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Charley Casserly Says He’d Be Surprised If Sean McVay Was Hired This Year

Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay has interviewed for the head coaching jobs with the Rams and the 49ers, and he’s reportedly “crushed them both.” Therefore, it would appear that despite his age and lack of experience with overseeing a full team, he’s a serious candidate for the two openings. Charley Casserly talks about McVay and the other head coaching candidates.

Listen to Casserly Talk Head Coach Candidates

La la la I can't hear you

lalalala.gif

Ram65

Legend
I mean, word has gotten out through multiple sources that McVay knocked it out of the park with the Rams (and the 9ers). However, we've heard very little about any of the other interviews. Moreover, we've heard that the Rams are delving deeper into McVay as well as interviewing Mike Vrabel who's likely attached to Patricia (I don't think he's a McDaniel guy, but I could be wrong).

That makes sense. I would imagine Patricia and Vrabel would easily be on the same page. Patricia would be able to coordinate the entire team and not overly focus on the defense. I don't know what kind of relationship he has with McDaniel.

Vrabel is regarded as a tough, passionate coach who relates well to his players. The former Patriots standout has a demanding style, but also communicates well. He's been instrumental in the development of Jadeveon Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, John Simon and Benardrick McKinney with veteran Brian Cushing remaining productive under his coaching tenure.

"The sky's the limit for Mike, he's a natural," said University of Texas coach Tom Herman last summer of his friend and former Ohio State colleague. "We're watching the career of a head coach in the NFL unfold right before our eyes. When that happens and when the right time is, nobody knows. If I was a betting man, I would surely bet he will be a head coach in that league before too long."

Vrabel gets me excited. He is the type of former player and coach that can change the Rams culture. I would like to see him become the Rams DC. Shoot he could be the next great HC.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That makes sense. I would imagine Patricia and Vrabel would easily be on the same page. Patricia would be able to coordinate the entire team and not overly focus on the defense. I don't know what kind of relationship he has with McDaniel.

Vrabel gets me excited. He is the type of former player and coach that can change the Rams culture. I would like to see him become the Rams DC. Shoot he could be the next great HC.

Vrabel is a bit of a dark horse, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got the job.

He's another "leader" who may have done really well.

Honestly, if the Rams go Patricia and Vrabel, our D will be substantially better.

Substantially.

The $2.6B question will be who's gonna run the offense?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

IMO it's ok to be influenced by the Pats, but don't try to be them. Countless coaches have failed trying to recreate Belichick McDaniels included. Be yourself and craft your own leadership style.

With that said I really liked Vrabel on Hard Knocks hard nosed no nonsense coach, but players clearly respected him. I would take him over McDaniels every day. He has the confidence to be himself and a long resume as a player to back it up.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Vrabel is a bit of a dark horse, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got the job.

He's another "leader" who may have done really well.

Honestly, if the Rams go Patricia and Vrabel, our D will be substantially better.

Substantially.

The $2.6B question will be who's gonna run the offense?

The #1 thing both players and guys like Demoff and Fassel have stressed need to be improved is CULTURE. Hard to imagine anybody doing that better than Vrabel. As a leader, not many can match him. Surround him with a strong staff and I could see it working.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's what puts McVay and Vrabel over wunderkind coordinators like Shanahan imho.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hard nosed no nonsense coach, but players clearly respected him.
I like that about him as well... but the lack of experience at even a Coordinator position rules him out for me.

Let another team see if he can even handle DC before bringing him onto the Rams as HC.

Love the guy, just needs a promotion and a few years of showing he can master that job.

JRobinson

MiLB
There is no doubt in my mind that I want the young gun Redskin man or one of the Patriot boys. For me the reasoning is quite simple: Winning. I realize that McVay does not have much of a track record in proving his worth as a HC or a "leader" per say, but I like the youth movement.... plus some dudes just have the "it" factor and he may have "it". However, I honestly believe that I'd really like one of the Patriot guys first. I don't have any resentment or hard feelings towards the Patriots or Mr. Bill due to the fact that I became a fan in 2006 and no earlier. I want anyone under the Patriot tree of coaching.... period. I want to win, and I truly believe that the move to LA will force the hand of Kronke to put a winning team together to continue to bring in revenue for himself (all he cares about it seems). Regardless, I want to win and be consistent like the Steelers, Patriots, Packers... even the Ravens weren't down and out very long and competitive. These franchises do it right from the top down, and to me, that is the building block of success. If Kronke wants to win, which I feel he does for money, then he will do what is in the best interest for HIM and then the Rammers. I may catch heat for thi,s but damnit, go the PATRIOT WAY!