Rams ban Dickerson from sideline privileges

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
If fisher doesn't want criticism from the public and NFL greats he either needs to do a better job, or find one that is not in the public eye. NFL greats have lots of influence on how teams and the NFL operate, in fact many of them get paid millions of dollars per year to announce and give their opinions on these matters to the public. NFL greats are in the locker rooms with the teams, and in the film rooms and in the team meetings, Fisher said so when he invited Eric, and also stated that Eddie George has been doing that. It's ultimately the fans that allow the NFL to exist, so by saying what you did is the same as fans having no say so in the product that they freely chose to pay for. Ultimately the fans have ALL of the POWER of the purse. No fans, no money, NO Rams.

So you're ok with someone talking shit behind your back only to act like you are best buds and wanting favors from you when they see you. Got it.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and just talking shit outright. Calling the team an embarrassment, calling coaches unqualified for the job, calling a rookie who hadn't stepped on the field a bust is not constructive criticism. You don't see Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, Jack Youngblood etc. talking like Eric. They are professionals. Eric acts and talks like a diva.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This whole thing has the feeling of a reality show were the audience is being played.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
why was Eric right? he bitched about everything then asks for favors. gtfoh Eric is a Drama queen always has been if he doesn't get his way he always cries to the public about it. it had nothing to do with his access Eric lied its all in Black and White. he wanted his friends to get on the sideline and fisher said no.

iABp8IH.jpg

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Yeah. Dickerson is a diva. But he might help get Fisher fired soooooo.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
One of the big things left off is what is standard procedure for the Rams for such requests? I realize that Ed is a X-ram but he also is a member of the "press" (he has a radio show/podcast). What do they do for requests from media for extra passes? Was he bypassing standard practices?

Was it what he had said previously or the fact the ED said it and was he actually asking for special privilege or is this a standard request they commonly get?

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I think if ED gets to stand on the sidelines, that is an Honor! To criticize the very team that shows you that honor week in and week out is a betrayal of trust. His legend status aside, he isn't excused from the rules of common courtesy. Plus, he doesn't seem level headed anyways.

Bruce2980

Starter
So you're ok with someone talking crap behind your back only to act like you are best buds and wanting favors from you when they see you. Got it.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and just talking crap outright. Calling the team an embarrassment, calling coaches unqualified for the job, calling a rookie who hadn't stepped on the field a bust is not constructive criticism. You don't see Marshall Faulk, Kurt Warner, Jack Youngblood etc. talking like Eric. They are professionals. Eric acts and talks like a diva.
Are you actually trying to say that this team is not an embarrassment? You were not embarrassed for this team on Monday night opener? Ronde Barber was embarrassed about the Rams Defensive performance last week, he even said "this is getting embarrassing." Kurt Warner has been critical of the Rams organization on Phoenix radio saying (in regards to starting Goff) something the the effect that he doesn't think any QB could perform well in the current Rams offense. Warner is more PC than Eric, but Eric doesn't get paid to be PC like Warner does.

Eric is a fan of the LA Rams, and as a Rams fan he has every right to be critical, even Fisher acknowledges that. And as a HOFer he has every right to go to the game and ask favors, he gets to have his cake and eat it to. Fisher was dumb for calling ED and saying what he said. He should have kept his mouth shut, given ED the extra tickets and sent a limo to pick up ED's friends. Fisher would have been a lot better off had he done that than to face the shit storm he created. The LA Rams are the ones that can't have it both ways, (right or wrong that is the way it is) "hey Eric promote our tam and their return to LA but don't talk shit about our embarrassing on field performance or our lack of offensive competence, otherwise don't ask for favors. Screw you, ED isn't getting paid to promote the Rams.

And what if ED is just doing this to get Fisher fired? Isn't that what most Rams fans are in favor of. Does anyone want to watch another potentially great Rams RB end up like S Jackson? Do we really want to see Tavon used the way he is? Do we really want Fisher's QB record, with his history of lack luster QB stats and performances, to be handed off to Goff? At the end of the day, the team and the coaches shouldn't care about criticism. They want ED to promote the team, yet they embarrass him with their on field performance, so he criticizes that and now they won't get him passes for his friends, Fisher chose a fight, right or wrong that he can't win. Kinda like his coaching style. He can't win.

And we can certainly agree to disagree, I'm' not trying to convince you that I am right, obviously there are different opinions, just stating mine.

Bruce2980

Starter
I think if ED gets to stand on the sidelines, that is an Honor! To criticize the very team that shows you that honor week in and week out is a betrayal of trust. His legend status aside, he isn't excused from the rules of common courtesy. Plus, he doesn't seem level headed anyways.
The Rams want ED to promote the team, and he did until two weeks ago.

He earned the right to stand on the sidelines in his gold jacket. It is an honor for the LA Rams to have him and his gold jacket on the sidelines with them. And common courtesy should be extended to him, he helped promote the team along with other former great LA Rams. It isn't like his asking for extra sideline tickets cost anyone any money.

If Fisher doesn't want fans, ED included, to criticize, then they need to put a quality product on the field in all three phases of the game, not just two, week in and week out. Time to resign Fisher, time to resign.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Are you actually trying to say that this team is not an embarrassment? You were not embarrassed for this team on Monday night opener? Ronde Barber was embarrassed about the Rams Defensive performance last week, he even said "this is getting embarrassing." Kurt Warner has been critical of the Rams organization on Phoenix radio saying (in regards to starting Goff) something the the effect that he doesn't think any QB could perform well in the current Rams offense. Warner is more PC than Eric, but Eric doesn't get paid to be PC like Warner does.

Eric is a fan of the LA Rams, and as a Rams fan he has every right to be critical, even Fisher acknowledges that. And as a HOFer he has every right to go to the game and ask favors, he gets to have his cake and eat it to. Fisher was dumb for calling ED and saying what he said. He should have kept his mouth shut, given ED the extra tickets and sent a limo to pick up ED's friends. Fisher would have been a lot better off had he done that than to face the crap storm he created. The LA Rams are the ones that can't have it both ways, (right or wrong that is the way it is) "hey Eric promote our tam and their return to LA but don't talk crap about our embarrassing on field performance or our lack of offensive competence, otherwise don't ask for favors. Screw you, ED isn't getting paid to promote the Rams.

And what if ED is just doing this to get Fisher fired? Isn't that what most Rams fans are in favor of. Does anyone want to watch another potentially great Rams RB end up like S Jackson? Do we really want to see Tavon used the way he is? Do we really want Fisher's QB record, with his history of lack luster QB stats and performances, to be handed off to Goff? At the end of the day, the team and the coaches shouldn't care about criticism. They want ED to promote the team, yet they embarrass him with their on field performance, so he criticizes that and now they won't get him passes for his friends, Fisher chose a fight, right or wrong that he can't win. Kinda like his coaching style. He can't win.

And we can certainly agree to disagree, I'm' not trying to convince you that I am right, obviously there are different opinions, just stating mine.

There's nothing wrong with criticism but when you act like a dick about it, it changes how people view your opinion. It this case Eric was being a dick about it and trashing the organization yet he wanted extra privileges in return. Don't see how that constitutes as a fair gesture.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/s...ay-hell-no-longer-attend-games-165750011.html

It’s been a dozen years since the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams have been to the playoffs, and 13 years since they had a winning record.

But one of the links to the team’s glory years, one of its most iconic players, says he’s done with the team until the Rams part ways with head coach Jeff Fisher.

Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson, who averaged over 111 yards per game in four-plus seasons with the Rams, told The Los Angeles Times that Fisher, now in his fifth season coaching the team, called him and told him he was no longer welcome on the team’s sideline during games.

Dickerson had initially made comments on his L.A.-based radio show, but expanded on the spat with The Times.

31d128adb07af5cdf97b408dbc37a134

One of the Rams’ most popular former players, Dickerson told The Times he requested multiple sideline passes for friends for Los Angeles’ home game against the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 20 and was later told the team was uncomfortable with his public criticism of the team. Further, general manager Les Snead or Fisher would be calling him to discuss the matter.

It was Fisher who called. Here’s how Dickerson says the conversation went down:

“I see a 314 number calling in. So I get on the phone and say hello. He says, ‘Hey, Eric, this is Jeff Fisher.’ I said, ‘How you doing, Jeff?’ He said, ‘I just wanted to call you. I want to tell you a few things here. I don’t have time for this, but I’m going to tell you. You’re not going to be talking about the football team, talking about our team, talking about my coaches, expecting to get things from this football team. We’re not going to give you anything. We’re not going to support you in anything. As long as I’m here as coach, we feel uncomfortable with you coming on the sideline. The players are uncomfortable with that. So as long as I’m head coach here, I’m just going to let you know it’s not going to happen.

“So I didn’t say one word. That’s how I was taught. If somebody’s talking, you listen. Because two people can’t talk. So I sat there and listened to what he had to say. I said, ‘Jeff, are you finished?’ He said, ‘I’m finished.’

“I said, ‘Jeff, thank you for the call. I appreciate it. I heard somebody might call me. But, Jeff, I want to say this to you: I am a grown … man. I am not a little kid. I do not work for the Los Angeles Rams.’ I said, ‘I don’t give a damn what you think. My thing is, I want my football team to win. That’s all I care about. I don’t care whose feelings I hurt.’ I said, ‘Jeff, I’m all about the Los Angeles Rams. I want to win.’ I said, ‘You think I’ve been sitting around waiting for the Rams to come back? Jeff, anybody who knows me knows about Eric Dickerson. I don’t have my hand out. If y’all feel like I owe you something, send me a bill in the mail. Send me something and I will pay it. I don’t want nothing from you guys.’ My mother taught me this: When you go to somebody’s house, don’t you go eating up everything. You come home and eat.

“I said, ‘Jeff, and by the way, you can coach the Rams, you can go back to the Titans, you might coach the Browns, you can go to (USC)… I will always be Eric Dickerson of the Los Angeles Rams. That’s why I have that gold jacket. I’m a player first, and I will always be a player. Always. I’m always for the players. Know that.

[Join the $100K Baller for Week 13 | Tips for your Daily lineup]

“So he said, ‘Eric, man, that’s not what we want. We want you to come around. Jackie Slater comes over. Jack Youngblood. … Then he goes on and says, ‘I want you to be around. I want you to be part of the team.’ I didn’t say nothing. I just listened. I said, ‘Jeff, I’m going to say this much to you. It’s my last thing. First of all, I like [former Titans running back] Eddie George. Eddie George speaks very highly of you. I give you a pass because of Eddie. But I’m going to say this to you, Jeff: You never ever have to worry about me at a game again at the Coliseum as long as you’re coaching. I’m not coming ever again. I don’t want nobody to feel uncomfortable. Most definitely I don’t want the players to feel uncomfortable. I don’t care about your coaches feeling uncomfortable. I’m all about the players. You never have to worry about ever seeing me again.

“He said, ‘Eric, that’s not what we want.’ I said, ‘As long as you’re coaching, you won’t have to worry about ever seeing me again.’ I said, ‘Jeff, I want to thank you for having the [guts] to call me. … You have a good night.’ And that was it.

“That was two weeks ago Thursday, right before the Dolphins game. They haven’t reached out to me until [Monday].”

It was on Monday that Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ chief operating officer and vice president of football operations, reached out to Dickerson. Demoff tweeted that he wanted to clear up any confusion with Dickerson:

Demoff followed up with a tweet saying that Dickerson is a “valued member of the (Rams) family.”

During his Monday press conference, Fisher said he “had a really good conversation” with Dickerson and the former running back is always welcome around the team, even into the meeting rooms. But later in the day, after seeing the comments Dickerson made to the Los Angeles Times, Fisher said Dickerson can’t expect to criticize the team and then ask for favors.

“I had a discussion with Eric and it was brought to my attention Eric wanted some things from the organization and it was shortly after he had been critical of us, of me, of the players and of our quarterback coach,” Fisher said. “And there’s a natural conflict there.

“He has every right to be critical because we’re all frustrated with the respect to the season and he has every right to comment and to be critical. But there’s a line that has to be respected, when you on one side criticize the organization and come back and ask the organization for something.

“And so we had a conversation about it and I wanted Eric to understand that this organization wants him to be part of our future, no differently than Jackie Slater or Jack Youngblood, who came out to practice. We want Eric to be part of our future and that’s how we left it.

“The conversation was good and that’s how we left it. I offered him whatever he needed, no different than any of our alums. But there’s an understanding, and I think it’s a logical understanding, that if you’re going to go over here, which you have every right to do, and then come back and ask for this — it doesn’t work that way.

“When the conversation was over, I wanted on behalf of the organization to afford him every opportunity to become part of what we’re doing…. There was no way, on behalf of the organization, that we wanted to alienate E.D. We want him to be a part of this organization.”

Fisher told Shutdown Corner’s Eric Edholm during the summer that reaching out to the Rams’ alumni would be one of his priorities with the team moving back to Los Angeles:

“We’ll do what we did when I first got to St. Louis, which is bring those guys back for games and pregame and halftime events and other things in the area,” Fisher said. “We want that connection. There are three groups of [Rams] fans — the ones from L.A. back in the day, the ones from St. Louis and the new fans I think we’ll have. We’re going to try to merge all those things together and make it one big family going forward.”

And in fact, in September Dickerson was supportive of Fisher in an interview with Edholm. But after an early-season three-game win streak, the Rams have lost six of seven and are 4-7 and in third place in the NFC West, which is having a down year after several seasons with some of the best teams in the NFC.

The Rams are 31-43-1 under Fisher, never winning more than seven games in a season.

Bruce2980

Starter
There's nothing wrong with criticism but when you act like a dick about it, it changes how people view your opinion. It this case Eric was being a dick about it and trashing the organization yet he wanted extra privileges in return. Don't see how that constitutes as a fair gesture.
I don't think that what he said and how he said it was any worse than Chris Carter and other HOFers trashing Fisher and the coaches and saying Goff is a bust. And they get paid to be PC Eric doesn't. I can see that it can cause tension, but if it were handled differently it wouldn't have caused any. The team could have reached out to him two weeks ago, after his comments or request for extra tickets and requested his presence at practice and in the meetings etc. as Fisher has done so now. The organization screwed the pooch on this one, and again Fisher took the lead.
I get what you are saying to a certain extent, but ED has a radio show and calls it the way he sees it out of his frustration for the players. He sees bad coaching and he called it out for what it is. ED can obviously separate his comments on the radio from his desire to be on the sidelines. Criticism is going to come, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Communication is key and it was mishandled by an inept organization.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1] The team isn't performing up to expectations.

2] A famous ex-player is being critical about that.

Is 1 false?

If not, then 2 is pretty logical.

So, it's not about criticizing, it's about the delivery.

By trying to dictate how ED can be critical, it makes the Rams (Fisher, really) look bad.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
The Rams want ED to promote the team, and he did until two weeks ago.

He earned the right to stand on the sidelines in his gold jacket. It is an honor for the LA Rams to have him and his gold jacket on the sidelines with them. And common courtesy should be extended to him, he helped promote the team along with other former great LA Rams. It isn't like his asking for extra sideline tickets cost anyone any money.

If Fisher doesn't want fans, ED included, to criticize, then they need to put a quality product on the field in all three phases of the game, not just two, week in and week out. Time to resign Fisher, time to resign.
I agree, yet disagree. It is an honor to be inducted into the hall of fame, and a privilege to play football. That doesn't change once your 50+ and dementia has set it. Who even cares about ED anyways? He's just another punk running his mouth :p

Fisher does need to go though :)

Bruce2980

Starter
I agree, yet disagree. It is an honor to be inducted into the hall of fame, and a privilege to play football. That doesn't change once your 50+ and dementia has set it. Who even cares about ED anyways? He's just another punk running his mouth :p

Fisher does need to go though :)
ED sells a lot of Jerseys and was asked to promote the team, so a lot of people care, especially those making money off of him. If the NFL would sell copies of his games I'd but them, much more interesting to watch him, than our current offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing some of you are missing here is the team cannot withhold favors based on whether they like the public comments of the luminaries, and trying to gag order them in order to provide favors is petty and stupid.

The RAMS, and specifically Jeff Fisher, need thicker skin here. Period. They're the ones fielding the losing team. STFU and give these guys the access you would if they were drinkin the Kool-Aid. Quit being petty, what you're reading and hearing is BS caused by the losing team you are putting on the field.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I watched the Fisher press conference just now and it appears Dickerson has his panties in a bunch. The drama in most of the posts here is laughable and obviously without giving Fisher the benefit of hearing his side. Who the freak is the bozo tweeting this crap? Any one see anything directly from Dickerson?

The press was not giving Fisher any softballs and he handled it. From the Dickerson nonsense to Grob and the flare up on the sideline with Williams. He also said the fans have a right to be upset and that the record falls on him and he's still not looking over his shoulder.

Still our coach and our team and trying to work through the crap storm they are in, he like the rest of the Rams deserve our support on this website.
Did you notice the sarcastic look, and response he gave the female reporter after she asked him to clarify his earlier statement about how most don't know/understand what the team has had to go through? I've said it in many posts, this team has had to endure plenty due to the move, etc., and it's the one thing, in the back of my mind, convincing Kroenke to give Fisher an extension. We may not agree it should even be considered because most, including myself, are more consumed about wins/losses, handling the team, etc, but I'm not ruling it out. If we go based purely on the his wins/losses, he should not return after the season. But there is a bunch more we have no clue about, with what's happening behind the scenes, and it could be the determining factor for Fisher returning next season. Does it mean he can't/won't make staffing changes, especially on the offensive side of the ball? I would totally expect something to happen if he is back next year. But then again, I also said, "Mark my words, he won't be back." I seem to waffle from one day to the next.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've said it in many posts, this team has had to endure plenty due to the move, etc., and it's the one thing, in the back of my mind, convincing Kroenke to give Fisher an extension.

The decision making process is not going to center around the move and what Fisher has had to go through with this team in the relocation. It will be considered, sure, but much more important is the fact that this organization needs to instill hope in the fan base and rebuild bridges they burned when they moved to STL.

Butts in seats. That is the number one element in who will coach this team next year. And from that perspective, no matter how you spin it, Fisher doesn't come out of it looking like a good or even solid option. This is why I said before the only thing that could save him if I am the owner is him coming to me and telling me he has a plan to hire a true offensive mind like Martz and open up this POS offense around the QB he convinced me to sign off on trading up for.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I
ED sells a lot of Jerseys and was asked to promote the team, so a lot of people care, especially those making money off of him. If the NFL would sell copies of his games I'd but them, much more interesting to watch him, than our current offense.
I'll leave this conversation with this point. To digress a bit, I can see both sides of this argument, I just semse that ED seems butthurt and he brought it on himself...
If I have a broken leg and invite you to my surgery and subsequent rehabilitation, and all you are able to do is point out that I have a broken leg, then you sure are an asshat. That's how I feel about ED right now. He is a butthurt asshat. Career stats and gold jacket aside. Thanks for telling us what we already know ED, now shove a sock in it because if you can't at least offer CONSTRUCTIVE (don't know how to color font) criticism, when you are on OUR sideline, then keep your negativity to yourself.