Rams Backup QB Situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be fine with that, then the Giants can trade Danny Dimes to the Los Angeles Rams. Always thought Jones would be the perfect backup QB and I would like to see what McVay could do with him.
If they waive him and Rams can pick him up for vet minimum? Sure. But trading for a backup qb that will cost 4 mill? Heck no....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If they waive him and Rams can pick him up for vet minimum? Sure. But trading for a backup qb that will cost 4 mill? Heck no....
Agreed, what I would really like is the Rams to draft someone that showcases the ability to be a viable backup at a valuable price.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
The only time recently I've felt good about the backup QB is when Green backed up Warner for a season. I'd say Wolford is a bottom 10 backup in the league. Having said that I think McVay is comfortable with Wolford as the backup.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wolford miss time last camp and didn’t get any pre-season games. That might be te only reason they kept Perkins last year.

I read that Wolford looks decent with the 1s this year in camp and also does a good job running the scout team.

I doubt Perkins is more important than a punt returner, for instance. And, I don’t see teams clamoring to snatch him off the practice squad. Hell, Perez might be a better candidate for the 3rd QB.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Perkins is not helping himself by throwing picks,(two today) airballs and just plain sloppy throws. I know its just TC, but we'll see more in pre-season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Perkins should be at his sharpest now with another full season and OTA. Him playing poorly is a bad sign. He's in trouble, and probably will need strong preseason games to make that final cut on this year's roster.

Good thing is he's probably gonna play for most of all three games. So enormous opportunity still ahead for him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If we for him for nothing, and San Fran had to eat all the money ... I'm just saying I wouldn't be upset.

Just a comment by the way.
If he is cut, SF is on the hook for his contract if he is picked up. Like Bortles a few yrs ago.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Perkins should be at his sharpest now with another full season and OTA. Him playing poorly is a bad sign. He's in trouble, and probably will need strong preseason games to make that final cut on this year's roster.

Good thing is he's probably gonna play for most of all three games. So enormous opportunity still ahead for him.
He doesn't fit this offense. Should be a back up for a team with a running QB and dominant rushing attack.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Speaking of backup QB's....

Rams have had TWO backup QB's lead them to a Super Bowl.

Kurt in 99, obviously.

But, as a reminder, Vince Ferragamo was a backup in 1979. Pat Haden was the starter until he broke his pinky.

I "vaguely" remember the 1979 Rams, but a question for those who might remember it better: I looked it up, and saw that Haden started the first 10 games. Then Jeff Rutledge started game 11, and Ferragamo started the last five games of the season (and then led them to wins over Dallas and TB before the Pitt SB). Anyway, my question is-- anyone know why Jeff Rutledge started game 11? Was Ferragamo the backup, or actually the 3rd string guy?

EDIT: found a video about the Rams 1979 season, and it sounds like Ferragamo suffered a broken hand in the middle of the season. So I think it's the case that Ferragamo wasn't fully healed by week 11, so he had to wait until week 12 for his first start. If anyone can confirm this, feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Nope
Salary isnt guaranteed which is why he will be cut before opening day
You're right... they only eat $1.4M if they release before final cut down. Was thinking of in season releases in the past or if they already had guaranteed him salary for this yr.

If I were them I would cut him now just to make sure there os no last minute screw up when they release him. Save $25M with a release.

Screenshot_20220809-125439_Chrome.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're right... they only eat $1.4M if they release before final cut down. Was thinking of in season releases in the past or if they already had guaranteed him salary for this yr.
yeah, they have 1.4 mill of dead cap for the signing bonus. Thats why nobody wants to trade for him, because he brings that big number with him, and teams know that ultimately the 49ers will have to cut him. At this point, San Fran is just hoping that a team's starter goes down and they can pull off a deal. I also dont think they can cut him just yet because he is returning from surgery and need him to be ready to play to avoid injury settlement

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
When I watch the number 2 and 3 QBs throw the ball it looks like the ball weighs a 20 lbs they need a big backup that can move in the pocket. Wolford looked bad last season so I agree the Rams must keep Matt upright.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I keep waiting for the 9ers to change tact and decide to keep Jimmy. If Lance is struggling as badly as the reviews say how do you think you're better off without Garoppolo.

Things would look different if you had another option. But this entire move Garoppolo thing reeks of "let's eliminate that other QB the players will get behind when Lance sucks." And if that's the case here the Shanny regime might be in trouble because this league is hard on non-ready QBs.

Even with all his dumb shit he does it's hard to imagine that JG is not the best option for them this year. So hopefully he finds a spot and a deal gets done quick, because I don't want SF to have a fallback option. I want them to suffer.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Wolford vs Perkins will likely come down to who knows the offense better between the ears. Perez is a camp arm Im sure.
I’m not so sure about this. Perkins looks awful. Perez hasn’t been given much opportunity but if I were the brain trust of the Rams, I’d put Perez on PS (he won’t want to stay there) and release Perkins.