Rams Backup QB Situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I think Wolford is a decent backup. He isnt gonna win you games, but he does have some playing time and he works under some of the best in the business.

Perkins....im super intrigues about. His athleticism is just something we havent had in....idk...forever... So i will enjoy watching him in preseason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its a mesage board. Where people post their thoughts. There are a million post on this board. How many do you feel were insightful? Im gonna say less than 10%.
Some of us spew pure gold when we speak….It’s hard being this damn good

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Wolford is a decent backup. He isnt gonna win you games, but he does have some playing time and he works under some of the best in the business.

Perkins....im super intrigues about. His athleticism is just something we havent had in....idk...forever... So i will enjoy watching him in preseason.
Me too. Wolford has his moments, but then the reasons why he is a back up, become clear Over time, like almost all back ups….

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the question with a backup QB isn't can you win with him if you lose the starter for the season (almost no team can), it's can you win a handful of games with him if your QB is out for a bit.

I think the answer's yes with Wolford and this defense. Are there better backup QBs, sure, but I'm happy with Wolford and the opportunity cost of trying to improve at that spot is too great.

With such limited resources (considering what he'll cost on the open market) and so little time, Garappolo may be available but don't see that it's worth it to bring him on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Stafford goes down for a long period the Rams are screwed. Period.
Thread winner
Wolford will be the backup who the Rams hope never has to play a meaningful snap, just like he was as Goff's backup and how Mannion/Bortles were prior.
Wolford is the backup because his contract is cheap AF, and if they can somehow justify keeping a 3rd QB on the 53 this year, Perkins would become the cheap AF backup next year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If San Fran were to release Garopollo, he would in turn be on a plane to Seattle within minutes, unless the Giants got him first

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just to throw my 2 cents in, from what I've seen at TC, probably 100+ snaps from both Wolford and Perkins, Wolford has been better than last TC and is way better than Perkins in running the offense. Perkins can;t get past his 1st read, has thrown stupid picks, sloppy passes and can;t throw a ball 25+ yds with any arcuracy. Just my humble opinion.,

God forbid Stafford goes down for any length of time, I do think the Rams can win some games with Wolford.

We still have 3 pre-season games to make some evaluations vs other teams.

LA1980

UDFA
Then STATE that it's obvious when you say it. Example: "Obviously, if Stafford goes down we're screwed." Dont say it as a knock on Wolford, Perkins or the Organization is general.

Okay, okay, I'll stop being a dick.
This dude is a psychopath, no joke.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let’s get this thread back on track.

There are enough “chills” and “in-appropriates” sent to illustrate what is acceptable here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think McVay is set on Wolford.

On the proven player side…

I was reading on Joe Flacco this past weekend. He’s backing up on the Jets.

The Bears have Nick Foles and Andy Dalton behind Fields.

All of these guys are <$4M if I am seeing it right.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Does Sean McVay think the Rams can win a Super Bowl with John Wolford? Yes, he does.

Did Dick Vermeil think the Rams could win with Trent Green's backup in 1999? Yes.

Eight times a backup QB has won a Super Bowl. Eight, that's a lot.

Just sayin.

Likely? No. Possible? Definitely.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If San Fran were to release Garopollo, he would in turn be on a plane to Seattle within minutes, unless the Giants got him first
I would be fine with that, then the Giants can trade Danny Dimes to the Los Angeles Rams. Always thought Jones would be the perfect backup QB and I would like to see what McVay could do with him.