PREGAME Rams at Colts Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Josh Allen >> Hold my beer

Let me know if you'd like to make a wager on Richardson having NFL passing stats that are equal to, or very close to Allen's. I'm betting he doesn't.

Last year at UF he ranked #13 out of the 14 SEC QBs. Florida is historically a high flying offense that throws the ball a lot. Florida's offense (especially the passing offense) sucked ass last year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You gonna let him back inside the house to watch this one? :laugh4:

LOLOLOLOL.

Oh... I will roll out the red carpet for him to come inside and watch it with me!

I told his girlfriend last night to make sure that he is here to watch it with me on Sunday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Richardson will be a pain in the ass with our contain though.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
starting left tackle Alaric Jackson is dealing with a hamstring issue. Jackson left Monday night’s game after the injury and did not return, and McVay said Jackson is “day by day” and “feeling good” but his status for Sunday’s game in Indianapolis is yet to be determined.theathletic.com

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He'll be a pain in the ass because Hoecht is an EDGE starter for us.
Yes and he'll be a problem for our ILBs too. The guy is an elite runner no doubt about it.

In that way this is a good game for us. See whether our defensive front can fix some of their issues. Before the season I felt like 2-2 would be incredible to achieve with this roster, given the schedule, and still do. And if they can do that they might be able to stay around .500 ball until that latter season stretch where things ease up a bit. Here's our sched through October:

Eagles
Cards
@Packers
Seahawks
Steelers
@Cowboys

I think 3 wins out of that run should be doable assuming business is taken care of vs Indy and our OL isn't running on depth.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
According to my colt loving son... yes... he will be playing.

That's good news to me because that gator can't accurately throw anything... especially a football. He can run and jump like a freak of nature... but it's been clear as day going back to last year when he was at UF... he cannot throw with any kind of accuracy whatsoever. And that shit cannot be fixed.

COLT LOVING SON !!!

How did you let this happen?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
COLT LOVING SON !!!

How did you let this happen?

I know.

I've told this story before. The short version is that I let him sleep inside when the temp drops below freezing. Which hardly ever happens in Central FL. LOL

I have 3 sons.

The oldest posts here and is an obvious Die-Hard Ram.

And... I have identical twin sons. The oldest twin is also a Die-Hard Ram... but the other twin is a colt lover.

I know how it happened. My twins tried hard to be different from each other. While the Rams in our house suffered through some seriously tough years... the younger twin decided to pick a team with a HOF QB. The twins are 25 yrs old now. So... the colt lover had Manning and Luck basically his whole life. Now... he's paying the price. He's not a bandwagoner though... he's staying completely loyal to the dolts. Hell, he just bought an expensive dolt jacket made by Kith that a bunch of the dolt players are also sporting around now too. Hopefully we have a cold winter... he can wear that disgusting jacket while he sleeps outside.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me know if you'd like to make a wager on Richardson having NFL passing stats that are equal to, or very close to Allen's. I'm betting he doesn't.

Last year at UF he ranked #13 out of the 14 SEC QBs. Florida is historically a high flying offense that throws the ball a lot. Florida's offense (especially the passing offense) sucked ass last year.
Richardson had and has some major flaws as a passer. We'll see if they get fixed. That said, Napier is not a high-flying offense sort of guy. His offense is similar to the old Nick Saban Bama offense. He tries to grind out wins with a pro style offense that leans on the running game and game manager QBs. He didn't use Richardson particularly well.

The big issue with Richardson, beyond his flaws as a passer, is that while he's a freakishly gifted athlete and massive (6'4" 245), he gets hurt often. As a passer, Richardson struggles with his touch and his accuracy on short routes. He does throw deep well, though. And he has an absolute cannon for an arm. One of the issues he had at UF is that he didn't like to scramble to the left. So when you pressured him, you were confident that he would flush to the right. It was a huge tell for him. I don't know if he has fixed that issue.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I know.

I've told this story before. The short version is that I let him sleep inside when the temp drops below freezing. Which hardly ever happens in Central FL. LOL

I have 3 sons.

The oldest posts here and is an obvious Die-Hard Ram.

And... I have identical twin sons. The oldest twin is also a Die-Hard Ram... but the other twin is a colt lover.

I know how it happened. My twins tried hard to be different from each other. While the Rams in our house suffered through some seriously tough years... the younger twin decided to pick a team with a HOF QB. The twins are 25 yrs old now. So... the colt lover had Manning and Luck basically his whole life. Now... he's paying the price. He's not a bandwagoner though... he's staying completely loyal to the dolts. Hell, he just bought an expensive dolt jacket made by Kith that a bunch of the dolt players are also sporting around now too. Hopefully we have a cold winter... he can wear that disgusting jacket while he sleeps outside.

I have identical twin sons too ! :wow2:

They're 17 - not huge NFL fans, more into soccer .... however they do support the Rams and check the scores - as they know that when we lose I get sad and don't speak much !! :laugh4:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I have identical twin sons too ! :wow2:

They're 17 - not huge NFL fans, more into soccer .... however they do support the Rams and check the scores - as they know that when we lose I get sad and don't speak much !! :laugh4:

Mine are 25... FSU undergrads. They're both working in their fields now, but are still also working on more school to get where they want to be. They went opposite there too... one is in the medical field and the other in law.

Awesome sons! Well, except for the dolt part. LOL

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. Richardson contained as a passer… this is the recipe.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Richardson had and has some major flaws as a passer. We'll see if they get fixed. That said, Napier is not a high-flying offense sort of guy. His offense is similar to the old Nick Saban Bama offense. He tries to grind out wins with a pro style offense that leans on the running game and game manager QBs. He didn't use Richardson particularly well.

The big issue with Richardson, beyond his flaws as a passer, is that while he's a freakishly gifted athlete and massive (6'4" 245), he gets hurt often. As a passer, Richardson struggles with his touch and his accuracy on short routes. He does throw deep well, though. And he has an absolute cannon for an arm. One of the issues he had at UF is that he didn't like to scramble to the left. So when you pressured him, you were confident that he would flush to the right. It was a huge tell for him. I don't know if he has fixed that issue.

No doubt. Not as high flying as a Spurrier offense for sure... still a pro style though.

But trying to run a pro style offense with a QB who struggles mightily with accuracy on short to medium passes results in a mess. I see this continuing on this level too.

Maybe I'll be wrong on AR and he'll develop into a force on this level. People getting paid big bucks get this kind of thing wrong all the time. I wouldn't bet on him becoming a very successful QB on this level though. We'll have to watch it unfold.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
starting left tackle Alaric Jackson is dealing with a hamstring issue. Jackson left Monday night’s game after the injury and did not return, and McVay said Jackson is “day by day” and “feeling good” but his status for Sunday’s game in Indianapolis is yet to be determined.theathletic.com
Good news is noteboom isn't on the injury report

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. Not as high flying as a Spurrier offense for sure... still a pro style though.

But trying to run a pro style offense with a QB who struggles mightily with accuracy on short to medium passes results in a mess. I see this continuing on this level too.

Maybe I'll be wrong on AR and he'll develop into a force on this level. People getting paid big bucks get this kind of thing wrong all the time. I wouldn't bet on him becoming a very successful QB on this level though. We'll have to watch it unfold.
Like Josh Allen, Richardson will have to work hard to fix his flaws. We'll see if he can. Additionally, Indy will have to develop their system around him. And he'll have to stay healthy. The good news for us is if we contain him, our defense is the type that should defend him well. We are good about not giving deep shots. We'll force Richardson to beat us with short, precision passes. That's not his strength.

oldnotdead

Legend
Time for Royce Freeman to be signed to the active roster. Royce is bigger and faster than Williams, he's shown he can catch passes, and also pass block. Time to say enough of the small RB with average speed. Yeah, he runs tough but not tough enough that McVay actually trusts him to be the bell cow RB actually carrying the ball.

Both Evans and Freeman are bigger faster RBs. Freeman has the ability to be a 3 down RB. Why did they sign him if they weren't going to use him? McVay chose Williams because he looked more versatile. But Williams' lousy hands as a receiver already contributed to one loss and definitely almost cost a second INT on Monday. Anyone else that would get them benched. Next man up!

McVay needs to see what he has in Freeman and Evans before the end or the trade deadline. Freeman has 85 receptions for over 500 yds in his career. Not eye popping numbers but it shows he can catch the damn ball. But IMO the bottom line is that the Rams really need a RB that threatens a defense by being able to take it to the house from anywhere on the field. That guy isn't on the roster. But Freeman and perhaps Evans can at least give the Rams an efficient and credible running game.

Freeman could give the Rams Akers type production while being able to play 3 downs. Time to sit Williams and tell him to hit the jug machine. You have to know Stafford doesn't trust Williams as a receiver anymore. Time to move on and improve offensive efficiency. Noteboom back to LT, and Dotson to RG. That should stabilize the OL. If Higbee is gimpy it's time for Hopkins to step up.

The Colt's best DL player is Buckner who will be over Avila who played well against Hargrave, a similar talent. I think the OL will hold up well in this game. I don't see Dotson out matched if he plays RG. The Colts play a base 4-3 Tampa Two favored by Gus Bradley. Stafford and McVay should cut it up. The Rams need to just be efficient in their run game. They just need to move the chains when they need to with their run game. McVay can layer his WRs and should be able to pick up 15-25 yard chunks against this zone scheme.

Richardson or Minshew, the key to beating the Colts is to make them one dimensional by building a lead. The Ravens allowed the Colts to hang around and lost in OT. Moss had over 120 yds on the ground and Minshew was efficient. The Rams have to keep Moss from controlling the game. The best way is to score early and not let up.