PREGAME Rams at 49’ers - Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Monday Night? 49ers? I don't know what you guys are talking about!

The Rams are playing right now ... in London; and are wearing their new alternate purple uniforms.

Seriously, many of Minnesota's pass-play-concepts look extremely familiar.

Personally, I am not a fan of these alternate unis. Those Horns look nothing like rams-horns.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Monday Night? 49ers? I don't know what you guys are talking about!

The Rams are playing right now ... in London; and are wearing their new alternate purple uniforms.

Seriously, many of Minnesota's pass-play-concepts look extremely familiar.

Personally, I am not a fan of these alternate unis. Those Horns look nothing like rams-horns.
They just need a real QB to execute things.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
9ers had 20 carries for 50 yards in the NFC Championship and we beat them. So stopping the run is definitely a requirement to get this win.

The season ending win by the 9ers btw featured 31 rushes for 135 yards. And the ass kicking we received earlier in the season had over 150 allowed.

And even then we still have to deal with Jimmy playing his best ball vs us which is very irritating. He's ten times better vs us then he is vs anyone else.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The way Edwards has been playing I have to say this is a big opportunity for Evans. If he can play well he will undoubtedly get another game. I am terrified for the QB, but hope Evans can take advantage.
Yes, very big opportunity for Bobby Evans .....however, Evans has an extremely long history in four seasons with bungled opportunities to earn a starting position. I do not see any changes in the outcome this time.

I strongly suggest that McVay/Carberry utilize Oday Aboushi, Jeremiah Kolone, or Chandler Brewer in place of Evans. I prefer the veteran Oday Aboushi. Chandler Brewer has primarily been Carberry's preferred reserve to Edwards @ LG in TC & preseason & has the most time in this Rams offense.

BE's past performances at playing OG are grievous whereas his snaps @ OT are not. BE did not play any OG this preseason. If they start BE's @ LG Monday Night against this outstanding 9ers DL it will be a guaranteed loss for the Rams that will haunt them for this entire season.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
have to deal with Jimmy playing his best ball vs us....
He's ten times better vs us then he is vs anyone else.

It's a perfect storm I think.

Jimmy G is a limited QB who is essentially a QB2 talent in every meaningful way except one - he is very effective and consistent at one specific thing: quick passes against soft coverage. Most guys will eventually fuck up if you make them move the ball like that... but he really doesn't, not often enough anyways.

All that cushion our DBs give up isn't about Morris, it's about McVay and it's a window into the very heart of McVay’s own personal philosophy about football. Morris is here to run McVay’s Defense. Raheem's fingerprints are all over it of course and he's calling the plays but the D works the way McVay wants it to. If McVay didnt want his DBs lining up 12 yards off the WRs, they wouldn't.

McVay believes in ripping off big plays. Explosive plays. Plays for 20yds or more. He believes that you score through big plays and that you limit the score by not allowing big plays.
It's a simple philosophy but McVay lives and dies by it.

It is the fact that Shanahan knows how McVay views the game - specifically this particular idea - that has allowed Jimmy G and the 49ers to have undeniably consistent success against us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the Rams missing cornerbacks Troy Hill IR, David Long, Decobie Durant & Derion Kendrick (just returning from concussion protocol) in practice leaving DC Morris only Grant Haley who started @ the Nickle slot coverage last week & 2nd yr Robert Rochell as the starting corners with Ramsey. DC Morris does have two undrafted rookies T.J. Carter & newly acquired Shaun Jolly.

CB Haley's coverage is okay but his tackling is poor. I am sure that 9ers DC DeMeco Ryans will have the over 6ft 215lbs WR Deebo Samuel lined up against small-sized under 5-9 corner whenever he is on the field. This match-up is a sure disaster in the making.

The best I would hope for is that Derion Kendrick can start. This would let DC Morris play Jalen Ramsey over Deebo Samuel with Rochell & Kendrick playing the outside & Haley playing the Dime.

One positive is that 3rd safety Jordan Fuller is available to join Nick Scott & Taylor Rapp Monday Evening.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I don't have a problem giving Jimmy some cred in how he's played vs our defense. But Shanny has beaten us with other subpar QBs so I can't argue the idea that it's more Shanny than anything else.

Bottom line is that they couldn't run the ball for shit against us in the playoffs last year but still we barely beat them. So no matter how we slice this one there seem to be some universal truths vs the 9ers in this era...

Like the fact our offense is going to play like shit. Seems like it always leaves points on the field and our OL springs leaks in protections and the run game. Will that change on Monday night? I doubt it. 9ers are going to be camping out in our offensive backfield. Which means the game is automatically up for grabs for them because now they can balance up their attack and run the ball the way they want to. Generally you can't run the ball with dedication unless your defense can keep points off the scoreboard. All our offense has to do to upset the apple cart vs Shanny is play well and put those fuckers down large.

Or the fact that our defense is going to leave the middle of the field open for Jimmy to pick at us all fucking day. Jimmy's one strength as a QB is his boldness over the middle. Hurts him at times too, but vs the Rams it seems like there's always some asshole running completely uncovered while the Rams secondary is baffled. Probably Shanny doing his thing but it's irritating as fuck because that's an element the 9ers offense always seems to have vs our boys.

So basically it feels like even if we end up winning it's going to be a monumental struggle where the Rams quality at QB doesn't matter. It's like that situation where the idiot drags the other person down into a bullshit argument and beats him with experience. So frustrating. Sure would be nice to see our offense show up and change that equation wouldn't it. Maybe this will be the game.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd like to think that McVay has grown as a coach a lot over the past year and that the NFCC marked the end of the "Shanahan owns McVay" Era and that there's no going back now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us come out looking our best yet this season.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the opposite was true. Just one of many reasons I fucking hate the 49ers.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'd like to think that McVay has grown as a coach a lot over the past year and that the NFCC marked the end of the "Shanahan owns McVay" Era and that there's no going back now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us come out looking our best yet this season.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the opposite was true. Just one of many reasons I fucking hate the 49ers.
I think there are personnel limitations this time on defense that could impact the game.
Floyd is definitely one.. but no one is close to Darious Williams YET.. that's the biggest reason I don't think we can count on playing them as tight this time around.
On the other hand.. I don't think they'll necessarily have to play the "bear front" stuff they did in the NFC championship game to stop the run... Wagner and Jones should allow them to stay in more of a true base D.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last edited:

jacktheripper85

Starter

Jimmy G is a limited QB who is essentially a QB2 talent in every meaningful way except one - he is very effective and consistent at one specific thing: quick passes against soft coverage. Most guys will eventually fuck up if you make them move the ball like that... but he really doesn't, not often enough anyways.

All that cushion our DBs give up isn't about Morris, it's about McVay and it's a window into the very heart of McVay’s own personal philosophy about football. Morris is here to run McVay’s Defense. Raheem's fingerprints are all over it of course and he's calling the plays but the D works the way McVay wants it to. If McVay didnt want his DBs lining up 12 yards off the WRs, they wouldn't.

McVay believes in ripping off big plays. Explosive plays. Plays for 20yds or more. He believes that you score through big plays and that you limit the score by not allowing big plays.

It is the fact that Shanahan knows how McVay views the game - specifically this particular idea - that has allowed Jimmy G and the 49ers to have undeniably consistent success against us.

Agree with most of your post except the explosive offense part. This offense hasn’t been explosive since Gurley left. Methodical and precise maybe but not explosive. Everyone talked about what McVay would do with DeSean Jackson, TuTu, Everett, Henderson and Robinson-still waiting. I’d argue that if it wasn’t for Kupp this offense would be in deep shit. Hoping we get O’Dell back at some point.

Love McVay, great motivator, great eye for talent and keeps the team/talent focused, resilient and playing unselfishly. But from an X and O’s standpoint he’s pretty average. This team excels because of our stars.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I guess I don't have a problem giving Jimmy some cred in how he's played vs our defense. But Shanny has beaten us with other subpar QBs so I can't argue the idea that it's more Shanny than anything else.

Bottom line is that they couldn't run the ball for shit against us in the playoffs last year but still we barely beat them. So no matter how we slice this one there seem to be some universal truths vs the 9ers in this era...

Like the fact our offense is going to play like shit. Seems like it always leaves points on the field and our OL springs leaks in protections and the run game. Will that change on Monday night? I doubt it. 9ers are going to be camping out in our offensive backfield. Which means the game is automatically up for grabs for them because now they can balance up their attack and run the ball the way they want to. Generally you can't run the ball with dedication unless your defense can keep points off the scoreboard. All our offense has to do to upset the apple cart vs Shanny is play well and put those fuckers down large.

Or the fact that our defense is going to leave the middle of the field open for Jimmy to pick at us all fucking day. Jimmy's one strength as a QB is his boldness over the middle. Hurts him at times too, but vs the Rams it seems like there's always some asshole running completely uncovered while the Rams secondary is baffled. Probably Shanny doing his thing but it's irritating as fuck because that's an element the 9ers offense always seems to have vs our boys.

So basically it feels like even if we end up winning it's going to be a monumental struggle where the Rams quality at QB doesn't matter. It's like that situation where the idiot drags the other person down into a bullshit argument and beats him with experience. So frustrating. Sure would be nice to see our offense show up and change that equation wouldn't it. Maybe this will be the game.

If Stafford didn't get picked in the first quarter of the NFCCG, we may have had them on their backs early. But yeah, we need to start faster so we don't have to claw our way back. Garapollo plays better when they can run and he can dink and dunk for short first downs.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Agree with most of your post except the explosive offense part. This offense hasn’t been explosive since Gurley left. Methodical and precise maybe but not explosive. Everyone talked about what McVay would do with DeSean Jackson, TuTu, Everett, Henderson and Robinson-still waiting. I’d argue that if it wasn’t for Kupp this offense would be in deep shit. Hoping we get O’Dell back at some point.

Love McVay, great motivator, great eye for talent and keeps the team/talent focused, resilient and playing unselfishly. But from an X and O’s standpoint he’s pretty average. This team excels because of our stars.
The Rams were #2 in explosive pass play rate in the NFL last season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

A big difference with the middle of the field being so open could be Jones and Wagner. Playing Reeder in the middle was like a gimme for Shanahan.

To me this game is Wagner’s Rams debut. He has potential to take away all that the Niners have lived off of against the Rams the last few years.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
A big difference with the middle of the field being so open could be Jones and Wagner. Playing Reeder in the middle was like a gimme for Shanahan.

To me this game is Wagner’s Rams debut. He has potential to take away all that the Niners have lived off of against the Rams the last few years.
Yep, this game is why we got him. EJ should be better this year too.

This game might be why we're unleashing Skow too.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
I have a good feeling about this game. What a statement we could make to v the c test of the league, superbowl winner that still has it. Or........ same old rams, loose on the biggest stage to their biggest rival, again. Not this year! Go rams

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

His drops are better and more instinctive than what Reeder gave us but I don't think current day Wags is a big factor in the pass game. He's a big run game boost for sure though which does help a lot.

Our secondary has to show up tonight. They gotta tighten shit up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
His drops are better and more instinctive than what Reeder gave us but I don't think current day Wags is a big factor in the pass game. He's a big run game boost for sure though which does help a lot.

Our secondary has to show up tonight. They gotta tighten shit up.
Maybe they can drop Jones and blitz Wagner. Even if Wagner isn’t great in coverage his instibcts could help tighten windows and make Garapolo more hesitant to throw it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Just wanted to add that my thoughts in this post above are just sort of my best guess and not anything I think I know. It probably should have been an "IMO" heavy post.
I don't want to come off like someone who claims to know what makes Sean McVay tick or why Shananananansnahan and Jimmy G-wad have been a problem....

I don't know anything, I just bullshit about Rams football and I drink and I..... I have ideas. I realize nobody cares but me, it was opinion and it goes without saying, but I feel better clearing it up lol
5sqmzv.jpg