CELEBRATE !! Rams agree to terms with Donte Whitner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
From his Twitter comments, it seems clear a deal is going to get done. It's more a matter of when, not if.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams lost their starting deep safety for the last 48 games to free agency since 2013 (Rod McLeod). Fisher has drafted 3 strong safeties in the draft 2013/2014 drafts. All 3 SS's remain on the Rams roster. Fisher has not drafted a legit deep safety since he arrived, unless you want to count our starting Nickle corner the last two years. Fisher has gone solid down the UDFA route with Cody Davis, Rodney Mcleod, Jordan lomax, Rohan Gaines & Brian Randolf. Is there a trend here?

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
So, if they sign Whitner - would he be the only player on the team with any play-off experience?

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
This has to be one of the longest threads I've ever seen where nothing has actually happened

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe you are right.

I wonder if they wanted to take a look at the safeties they got in UDFA, before signing Hitner. The guy from Tennessee looks like he could takeover McLeod's job tomorrow.

Don't under estimate McLeods value.He got paid, what ,$35 million ?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I wonder if they were waiting until after the draft so they knew for a fact the size of the rookie pool...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wonder if they were waiting until after the draft so they knew for a fact the size of the rookie pool...
I don't think they where waiting to see the size of the pool. But probably the "Quality" of the pool!:D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...los-angeles-rams-signing-donte-whitner-safety

Donte Whitner Tells Twitter He’s Signing With the Los Angeles Rams
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB_ on May 4, 2016

GettyImages-460103694.0.jpg

Jason Miller/Getty Images

Free agent safety Donte Whitner is telling folks he’s going to be a member of the Los Angeles Rams. But he’s the only one saying it...

For the last three weeks, "Hitner" has simply, and randomly, been tweeting out the word "patience" using the high five (or prayer hands, for some) emoji, or "310," which is the area code in Los Angeles. Fans were left to speculate, but it appeared he was hinting at a new landing spot in the NFL.

A week ago, we covered how Whitner had just followed seven Rams’ players on Twitter, and what that meant for his potential to join the team. It appears now he’s confirming that he'll join his new twitter follows on the football field in 2016.

It’s somewhat trivial as to why it hasn’t already happened, or that no one else is reporting it. Initially, one could’ve believed his signing was being kept under wraps in an effort to not tip their hand about their draft priorities. But that waved bye bye when the Rams traded up to land the No. 1 overall spot.

So at this point, you'd have to believe it’s either a) the price tag he’s seeking (as ESPN’s Nick Wagoner states here), or b) the length of contract he’s hoping to get. Hitner, who will be 31 years old when the season kicks off, could be hoping for a longer deal than the Rams are looking to give him.

We’ll continue to monitor the situation, as well as his potential fit with the team. Throughout his career, Whitner has primarily served the role of a hard-hitting strong safety; which doesn't make him a logical replacement for former free safety Rodney McLeod. It could be that they’re looking to add some veteran leadership to a young secondary that just lost a pair of key starters, and are uncertain how inexperienced corners/safeties might fair in the early stages of the season. It could simply be a move to add depth.

Or maybe Gregg Williams, who’s getting great production out of Mark Barron, truly believes a teamcan never have too many box safeties. We’ll know for sure if, and when, the Rams and Whitner finalize a deal.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I can't wait until he's rumored to hit a guy over the middle. I'm rumored to think he's rumored to be One of the best DBs we've ever been rumored to have.

(n)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So.................................................??????????? Did we sign him? Has any Ram rep uttered even a maybe?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think as a WR i'd rather go across the middle vs the 2002 Bucs than these Rams.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who was released!?

Eric Patterson - he was a late season pickup after the Colts cut him. He played in one game, had one tackle, no passes defended according to the stats on NFL.com. Basically, filler.