Ram Attack - Jenkins a Liability?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
I was going by this:
I think you're wrong about him being a FA. He became a FA after we cut him. He was a Ram for 6 years which means he was on his second contract.
In the case of O.J. Atogwe, who has yet to make a Pro Bowl team but would command top safety money, is he really worth it? For a guy who just missed out on $8 million by being cut, he might want significantly more than the Bills could or even should pay.
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/616797-safety-first-2011-free-agency-bob-sanders-or-oj-atogwe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6167 ... -oj-atogwe</a>

Throwing my own bible in my face (PFF) is a low blow. :lol:

I remember it differently but I do remember the horrible LBs and D-line players. Atogwe was making 8 million per year and we cut him because he wasn't worth the money.
He was cut. :owned:

jk

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
A turnover machine whose play otherwise sucked.

Most of the plays on this video aren't turnovers. The kid has athleticism that can't be taught, but the mental errors CAN be. There are some great plays he made on this video besides the picks & fumble recovery

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47PfbcbOWcA[/youtube]

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
As I've already stated, I agree that he has an abundance of talent but I never put all my eggs in the turnover basket. I already got burned doing that with Atogwe. 22 career interceptions in only 6 years and we just cut him. Lasted one year with the Redskins.

To be fair, injuries derailed the end of Atogwe's career, and he was more than just a ball hawk.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
Throwing my own bible in my face (PFF) is a low blow. :lol:
I play for keeps. :hehe:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rams24/7 added:
To be fair, injuries derailed the end of Atogwe's career, and he was more than just a ball hawk. Btw we didn't cut him, he was franchised for several years before we finally let him hit FA in 2011

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e97e8a/article/redskins-sign-exrams-safety-atogwe-to-fiveyear-26m-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... r-26m-deal</a>
ASHBURN, Va. - Free-agent safety O.J. Atogwe has signed a five-year, $26 million contract with the Washington Redskins, upgrading a vital position on a defense that ranked 31st in the NFL last season.

The Redskins moved quickly to upgrade their defense by signing O.J. Atogwe, who figures to only help what Brian Baldinger calls "the worst tackling secondary" in the NFL. More ...

Atogwe signed the deal Thursday, two weeks after he was cut by the St. Louis Rams following six seasons.

Kareem Moore started 11 games at free safety for the Redskins last season, but he was inconsistent and finished the season on injured reserve. He is recovering from right knee surgery.

The signing reunites Atogwe with Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. Atogwe spent three of his seasons in St. Louis playing for Haslett, who was the Rams' defensive coordinator and later interim head coach.

Atogwe has 22 career interceptions, including three last season.
:razzed: :ww:

<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/626068-washington-redskins-sign-atogwe-to-a-5-yr26m-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6260 ... yr26m-deal</a>
Washington Redskins Sign Oshiomogho Atogwe to 5-Year, $26 Million Deal

The Redskins didn't sign an injured player.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
albefree69 said:
rams24/7 added:
To be fair, injuries derailed the end of Atogwe's career, and he was more than just a ball hawk. Btw we didn't cut him, he was franchised for several years before we finally let him hit FA in 2011

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e97e8a/article/redskins-sign-exrams-safety-atogwe-to-fiveyear-26m-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... r-26m-deal</a>
ASHBURN, Va. - Free-agent safety O.J. Atogwe has signed a five-year, $26 million contract with the Washington Redskins, upgrading a vital position on a defense that ranked 31st in the NFL last season.

The Redskins moved quickly to upgrade their defense by signing O.J. Atogwe, who figures to only help what Brian Baldinger calls "the worst tackling secondary" in the NFL. More ...

Atogwe signed the deal Thursday, two weeks after he was cut by the St. Louis Rams following six seasons.

Kareem Moore started 11 games at free safety for the Redskins last season, but he was inconsistent and finished the season on injured reserve. He is recovering from right knee surgery.

The signing reunites Atogwe with Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. Atogwe spent three of his seasons in St. Louis playing for Haslett, who was the Rams' defensive coordinator and later interim head coach.

Atogwe has 22 career interceptions, including three last season.
:razzed:

Yep

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's right. I was thinking of 2009 when they let him test the free agent waters after refusing to tender him at 110% of his salary. He didn't get any better offers and signed a one-year deal, then was on IR in 2010 after signing a 5-year deal. It was after that season that they released him (2/11).

I forgot why he even came up now. :lol:

had

Rookie
Maybe the OP has let his dislike for Jenkins' personality color his assessment of the kid's abilities. Not sure.

Some players can seem obnoxious, or like a diva.

This kid Jenkins has all the tools to be elite. He's a freaking miracle vs what the Rams have had the last 5+ years.

As a rookie.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
had said:
Maybe the OP has let his dislike for Jenkins' personality color his assessment of the kid's abilities. Not sure.

Some players can seem obnoxious, or like a diva.

This kid Jenkins has all the tools to be elite. He's a freaking miracle vs what the Rams have had the last 5+ years.

As a rookie.

OP here, personally I think Janoris is the best player on the team...that being said I slightly nervous one wrong aggressive step could cost us a season....but I don't think he's a diva lol

Just trying to draw in some lively discussion via YouTube and Facebook my dood. Controversial topics always do the trick :cool:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Remember last year when he kept looking into the backfield at the QB and let his man just run by him uncovered for a TD? Then you have him fooling around with how he looks instead of doing his job. Those two things are of the same vein to me. It's all about him and not the team. His priorities are all wrong IMO. Maybe that's not the right definition of a Diva but by what ever name I don't like it. I also don't think it's good for the team.

I wonder how many of those 4 TDs he scored were negated by his selfish actions? One at the very least.

Just saying.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:
Remember last year when he kept looking into the backfield at the QB and let his man just run by him uncovered for a TD? Then you have him fooling around with how he looks instead of doing his job. Those two things are of the same vein to me. It's all about him and not the team. His priorities are all wrong IMO. Maybe that's not the right definition of a Diva but by what ever name I don't like it. I also don't think it's good for the team.

I wonder how many of those 4 TDs he scored were negated by his selfish actions? One at the very least.

Just saying.

Was that selfishness or a rookie making a rookie mistake? Did Quick drop passes last year due to his selfishness?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jrry32 adding:
Was that selfishness or a rookie making a rookie mistake? Did Quick drop passes last year due to his selfishness?
I think it would be a mistake to compare one player to another. Every player is an individual case.

So you're thinking it was just a rookie mistake? Well that's always possible but I wouldn't agree with that view. I can't ever remember seeing anything like that before. It's not like he didn't know he was supposed to cover him. He didn't move a muscle because he was staring down the QB and hoping to jump someone's route and get an interception. That's how I see it anyway. What do you think about what happened at the Bronco game?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
He's a ball hawk, That's what they do. He just needs to master when and when not to.

Yea I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't happen(Eyeballing those QBs), it does. But when receivers like Calvin Johnson comment on how JJ is a Ninja, He handles Larry Fitzgerald and other great receivers as a rookie? I'm not ready to give up on him. Little mistakes can be corrected with time and good coaches, the natural talent to make big plays like this kid has, cant be taught.

Good video, keep up the great work! :plus1:

A55VA6

Legend
LosAngelesRams said:
He's a ball hawk, That's what they do. He just needs to master when and when not to.
Exactly.

Sometimes Janoris makes the wrong decision, but sometimes it pays off big time. If he just gets better at when to and not to jump the route, he'll be a great corner. Shutdown ability.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
albefree69 said:

Just saying.
If you're talking about the play that Manning caught the Rams with 12 men on the field by snapping the ball early, first there was this:
DR RAM said:
Let me say this, and i don't excuse him for it, but he wasn't the only player "not ready" on that play and a few others. Manning is a crafty SOB.
Then there was this:
Dr.RamsFanCK said:
X said:
Yeah, after 16 (17?) years, you'd think Manning would see the entire field, all the players, the hot dog vendor, and everything else happening in the stadium and take advantage of any weakness or momentary lapse of "readiness" that's taking place. Also, "shyte happens." Jenkins' good by far outweighs any bad he's exhibited thus far in his 'career.'

Manning killed the D on that play...heck the wrist band hand nothin to do with being a diva...JL had called an audible or play and Jenks was checking his list....he wasn't the only one with his eyes on his wrist.
IMO, you might be reading too much into one play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:
jrry32 adding:
I think it would be a mistake to compare one player to another. Every player is an individual case.

So you're thinking it was just a rookie mistake? Well that's always possible but I wouldn't agree with that view. I can't ever remember seeing anything like that before. It's not like he didn't know he was supposed to cover him. He didn't move a muscle because he was staring down the QB and hoping to jump someone's route and get an interception. That's how I see it anyway. What do you think about what happened at the Bronco game?

As I recall on the play against the Dolphins, Jenkins thought he had it read and jumped the fake while staring down the QB. The WR carried out the double move and was wide open when Jenkins jumped the inside route immediately.

He didn't just stand there and act like there wasn't a play. Just made a poor read and a bad decision.

As far as the Broncos game, I saw him get beat on the play but I wasn't watching him at the start so I have no idea if he was or wasn't messing with his wristband or other accessories.

bskrilla

Starter
I'm sort of confused as to why it's selfish to want to make a big play that either puts points on the board or gives your team the ball? Those are the kind of plays that win games. I think it's silly to call that selfish.

I would find it hard to believe if you told me that JJ was actively making the decision to go for a pick so it would make him look better. I think the kid jumps routes because he thinks he has a chance to make a play, and he wants to win. I just don't see the selfish angle.

Of course, INT's and TD's make for a bigger spotlight on the individual player, but they also help the team win.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jrry32 remembering it differently than me:
As I recall on the play against the Dolphins, Jenkins thought he had it read and jumped the fake while staring down the QB. The WR carried out the double move and was wide open when Jenkins jumped the inside route immediately.

He didn't just stand there and act like there wasn't a play. Just made a poor read and a bad decision.

As far as the Broncos game, I saw him get beat on the play but I wasn't watching him at the start so I have no idea if he was or wasn't messing with his wristband or other accessories.

I remember it as I described it. I think someone posted a video with that play but I think it was at the Huddle.

As for the Bronco game, it was mentioned by two different people. One of them talked about a wrist strap and the other said he was fooling with something at belt level.