Ram Attack - Jenkins a Liability?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LesBaker said:
Well myself not only do I see no diva ion the kid when I've heard/seen interviews with him he actually seems like a fairly humble dude to me.

I'm not saying he's a 4 pillar type though LOL.

No. Not at all. In fact, he may even be somewhat of a punk. But if so, he is an uber talented punk and I don't think he's stupid either. I think he wants to be an all pro and have a long career. He has pretty good people around him. He'll be just fine and a thorn in the side for every #1 WR and QB in the league.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LosAngelesRams looking for proof:
I haven't seen a diva in JJ. Link me the article were hes being a diva.

It's just my own opinion and you can read this thread from the beginning to find out why if you're interested. Or you can just dismiss it out of hand but as I've said before, what's the title of this thread? If there were no issues why would anybody ask that question? Where's the thread titled "Ram Attack - Quinn a Liability?" :ww:

Obviously you don't agree with my view but I'm afraid you'll have to get in line with all the others who share your view. It's a very long line though so bring some snacks. :lol:

RamFan503 rejoining the fray after a good nights sleep:
So you're boiling down one play his rookie season and one play this preseason to him being a diva? He plays tight coverage in practice AND during most other plays in games. He shut down a lot of receivers last season. And how do you know that he hasn't jumped any routes in practice? I thought I had heard about a couple of his interceptions in practice coming from him jumping routes. Freakin' practice diva. :hmph:

I don't see that line in blue (check out his ratings at PFF) and I saw many receivers having their way with him last season. I'm sure he has jumped some routes in practice but he's done it judiciously (which again is all I'm asking). How do I know this? By reading the camp write ups.

Think about it. How could he shut down Givens the whole practice without one of two things happening.
1) He gets about 20 INTs per practice because he's always successfully jumping routes and never unsuccessful at it or Givens would have won some of the encounters.

or

2) he blankets him with tight coverage, jumping routes when there's a high probability of success.

You see a third possibility that would match many write ups that say he shut down Givens the whole practice?

I get the fact that you think the evidence I'm presenting is pretty slim. It is pretty slim. I'm not saying he is egregious in his conduct. I'm saying that he is showing me tendencies that are troublesome and need to be addressed and soon. Relatively speaking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
Think about it. How could he shut down Givens the whole practice without one of two things happening.
I didn't hear it that way. I heard it was a good battle with both getting the better of each other on occasion. Maybe CoachO could elaborate. Sounds like mostly man coverage given the description though, which would be different than the soft zone coverage you're seeing in preseason.

The diva label I just don't get, but it doesn't bother me either. As long as he continues to improve, I really don't care how he carries himself. I do know there's no evidence to suggest he's selfish in that regard. Outside of antecdotal.

sent via Tapatalk.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
X said:
albefree69 said:
I didn't hear it that way. I heard it was a good battle with both getting the better of each other on occasion. Maybe CoachO could elaborate. Sounds like mostly man coverage given the description though, which would be different than the soft zone coverage you're seeing in preseason.

The diva label I just don't get, but it doesn't bother me either. As long as he continues to improve, I really don't care how he carries himself. I do know there's no evidence to suggest he's selfish in that regard. Outside of antecdotal.

sent via Tapatalk.

I would love to elaborate. Yes the camp battles between Jenkins and Givens were ongoing and a daily highlight of many of the practices over the 4 weeks. Yes, Givens won his share of them. But it was obvious to me, and a few others I watched practices with, that the intensity of the matchup was ratcheted up more so that any other matchup on the field.

Jenkins most certainly got the best of these battles on a consistent basis. Again, that isn't to say that Givens didn't catch any passes. but even when he did, they were tough CONTESTED completions.

Jenkins just looked like the most gifted athlete on the field on either side of the ball. I don't get the "diva" tag either, unless his definition and mine differ.

What I see is a gifted player, who plays with a certain flair, and makes plays all over the field. Not sure how you can watch him play, and not see a whole lot of Deion Sanders, both in style and substance. If that is being a diva, I'm all for it. Because IF Jenkins sustains it over the course of a 14 year career like Deion, I would expect him to be fitted for his gold jacket.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:

It's just my own opinion and you can read this thread from the beginning to find out why if you're interested. Or you can just dismiss it out of hand but as I've said before, what's the title of this thread? If there were no issues why would anybody ask that question? Where's the thread titled "Ram Attack - Quinn a Liability?" :ww:

Obviously you don't agree with my view but I'm afraid you'll have to get in line with all the others who share your view. It's a very long line though so bring some snacks. :lol:

Yea, I did read back yesterday I was just wondering if there was an incident I didn't know about. Yea, I don't really agree with the diva part but we're all entitled to our opinions so gotta respect you there.

Is there a fast pass I can purchase to skip the lines? :sly:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:

DISMISSED!!! :7up:

Ooh look. Snacks! :popcorn:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO elaborating:
I would love to elaborate. Yes the camp battles between Jenkins and Givens were ongoing and a daily highlight of many of the practices over the 4 weeks. Yes, Givens won his share of them. But it was obvious to me, and a few others I watched practices with, that the intensity of the matchup was ratcheted up more so that any other matchup on the field.

Jenkins most certainly got the best of these battles on a consistent basis. Again, that isn't to say that Givens didn't catch any passes. but even when he did, they were tough CONTESTED completions.

Jenkins just looked like the most gifted athlete on the field on either side of the ball.
:zomg:
Thanks CoachO! Exactly what I'm talking about! I want him to play in the games the same way he does in practice against Givens and he doesn't. I attribute that to the reasons I've already talked about. The rest of you don't but then what do you attribute it too? Being tentative? In his second year?

Lets not lose site of the fact that I wanted to trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick if he doesn't get his head straight. Whose going to pay that price unless they think the player is very good? Which means I think he's good too doesn't it?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
LosAngelesRams wanting to take the fast lane:
Sorry but I can't play favorites and obviously you're going to have to bring extra snacks for all the mooches. :lol:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Sorry but I can't play favorites and obviously you're going to have to bring extra snacks for all the mooches. :lol:

I like Doritos BTW.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:

I like Doritos BTW.

Note to self - Hide all snacks while in line.

ranch doritos right? lol

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO elaborating:

Jenkins just looked like the most gifted athlete on the field on either side of the ball.
:zomg:
Thanks CoachO! Exactly what I'm talking about! I want him to play in the games the same way he does in practice against Givens and he doesn't. I attribute that to the reasons I've already talked about. The rest of you don't but then what do you attribute it too? Being tentative? In his second year?

Lets not lose site of the fact that I wanted to trade him for a 1st or 2nd round pick if he doesn't get his head straight. Whose going to pay that price unless they think the player is very good? Which means I think he's good too doesn't it?

I guess the part where you and I aren't connecting, is I don't know what you mean by him not playing that way.... or what did he do LAST YEAR that makes you think he played selfishly?

Did he give up some easy TDs, (Miami) for example. Of course. But I think we view that differently. That play, IMO, was an inexperienced CB, getting caught "peeking" in ZONE coverage, which is not all that uncommon. That same "technique" seemed to turn out well enough in the Cardinal game with the "pick 6's".

I also think, you seem to have an issue with all the balls that were caught in front of him, due to the "off coverage" that was deployed so often last year. Again, IMO, more of a scheme issue than anything he did or didn't do because of his "style" of play.

After seeing the entire scheme of the defense geared to more MAN coverage in training camp (notice I did NOT say in Preseason GAMES), I think you will be pleasantly surprised by his cover skills.

Again, I am basing this opinion more on the type of defense they were forced to play LAST YEAR due to the coverage shortcomings of their safeties, than it being a statement of their CBs.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO with a loose connection:
I guess the part where you and I aren't connecting, is I don't know what you mean by him not playing that way.... or what did he do LAST YEAR that makes you think he played selfishly?

Did he give up some easy TDs, (Miami) for example. Of course. But I think we view that differently. That play, IMO, was an inexperienced CB, getting caught "peeking" in ZONE coverage, which is not all that uncommon. That same "technique" seemed to turn out well enough in the Cardinal game with the "pick 6's".

That's part of what I have a problem with. Just because "bad technique" turned out well occasionally doesn't make it "good technique" in my mind. I agree that peeking into the the backfield is common but he wasn't just peeking he was making a documentary film. :lol:

I also think, you seem to have an issue with all the balls that were caught in front of him, due to the "off coverage" that was deployed so often last year. Again, IMO, more of a scheme issue than anything he did or didn't do because of his "style" of play.

That wouldn't be correct. I have no problem with that at all because that's a pure Fisher thing. He was targeted 7 times and allowed 6 receptions and you don't hear me complaining about the other 5. Even the one I'm talking about didn't have anything to do with his coverage. It had to do with his priorities.

After seeing the entire scheme of the defense geared to more MAN coverage in training camp (notice I did NOT say in Preseason GAMES), I think you will be pleasantly surprised by his cover skills.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Again, I am basing this opinion more on the type of defense they were forced to play LAST YEAR due to the coverage shortcomings of their safeties, than it being a statement of their CBs.

Yeah I heard that all last year and I blame that on Fisher too. But that doesn't change the fact that his play could best be termed as average at best. Other than the turnovers of course. I fully understand it's like saying "Hank Aaron didn't have a good career if you don't count his home runs" but you can't count on getting turnovers . I don't want him to be thinking about getting picks at the cost of good coverage and I think that's what he's doing. I can't read his mind so I could easily be wrong but it's my impression. I haven't given up on him yet so if he turns it around I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
I don't want him to be thinking about getting picks at the cost of good coverage and I think that's what he's doing. I can't read his mind so I could easily be wrong but it's my impression. I haven't given up on him yet so if he turns it around I'll be more than happy.
I think that sums up what you're trying to convey, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think he's doing that, but even if he was, that doesn't make him unique. As a former safety I can tell you that all DBs are thinking about getting a turnover on every single snap. Even in run support, they're thinking about knocking the ball loose or getting the strip. It's the defensive secondary's primary objective to turn the ball back over to the offense and get off the field, just like it's the offense's primary objective to score and get off the field. Of course, you probably know that already. All I'm saying is, he'll never stop thinking about getting a turnover because that's what they do. He might try to gain an advantage by playing the odds more than other corners, but truthfully ... I'm glad he does. As others have pointed out, he'll soon get more help over the top and can afford to take those chances without fear of giving up a TD. And in press man coverage, he's all about blanketing the receiver from what I remember. The instances where he tries to anticipate the throw and jump the route are fairly few and far between anyway.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
CoachO with a loose connection:

That's part of what I have a problem with. Just because "bad technique" turned out well occasionally doesn't make it "good technique" in my mind. I agree that peeking into the the backfield is common but he wasn't just peeking he was making a documentary film. :lol:

That wouldn't be correct. I have no problem with that at all because that's a pure Fisher thing. He was targeted 7 times and allowed 6 receptions and you don't hear me complaining about the other 5. Even the one I'm talking about didn't have anything to do with his coverage. It had to do with his priorities.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Yeah I heard that all last year and I blame that on Fisher too. But that doesn't change the fact that his play could best be termed as average at best. Other than the turnovers of course. I fully understand it's like saying "Hank Aaron didn't have a good career if you don't count his home runs" but you can't count on getting turnovers . I don't want him to be thinking about getting picks at the cost of good coverage and I think that's what he's doing. I can't read his mind so I could easily be wrong but it's my impression. I haven't given up on him yet so if he turns it around I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong.

Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion. But I think you are playing "mind reader" in your assessment. I am not that good, to KNOW what a player is thinking by the way he plays. Especially when we are not privy to the scheme.

I understand all the hype, which naturally comes from the 4 TDs. But I think you are forming an opinion based on variables none of us are aware of.

All I have said, was based on what I see from the guy in practice, there is NOT one shred of evidence of him being a "diva". He seems to be genuinely liked by his teammates. He is continually part of the mix of players when he is on the sidelines during drills.

One of the things I pay attention to, and firmly believe. In sports, and in life, people gravitate to others they perceive to be their peers. On a football team, one notices that the "starters" all tend to group together. Regardless of position.

When they come out before practice, you will find guys like Conrath, Brodine, and Cudjo all hangin out together. Find Brandon Washington, and you're likely to see Ty Nsekhe close by. You see Cody Davis and Rashard Hall, walking together or tossing the ball around. You see Courtland, Trumaine and Janoris.

The only reason I mention this, is it tells me, he is very TEAM oriented, and hangs with the "guys" and they with him.

One other observation about the Givens rivalry in practice. I have heard from more than one source, they are very close friends. I think that drives them both to compete against one another. Again, I mention this, as further indication of how he interacts with is teammates.

Just don't see the diva that you see.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X nailing it:

All I'm saying is, he'll never stop thinking about getting a turnover because that's what they do. He might try to gain an advantage by playing the odds more than other corners, but truthfully ... I'm glad he does. As others have pointed out, he'll soon get more help over the top and can afford to take those chances without fear of giving up a TD. And in press man coverage, he's all about blanketing the receiver from what I remember. The instances where he tries to anticipate the throw and jump the route are fairly few and far between anyway.

It sums it up perfectly. :yeh:

I'm not sure it's playing the percentages if you think that (probably) two rookies will be able to cover for him.

I've watched Champ Bailey many many times and he plays the type of game I really like. Tight coverage and when the opportunity comes he's there for the interception. I think he's thinking about INTs too but more concerned about shutting down the WR. As a former safety you know a lot more about this than I do but why don't I see this same type of behavior from our other DBs? Are they just less sure of their talent and thus more unwilling to take the chance? I don't know the answer but I do know that I like Champ bailey. :lol:

CoachO added:
Obviously, you are entitled to your opinion. But I think you are playing "mind reader" in your assessment. I am not that good, to KNOW what a player is thinking by the way he plays. Especially when we are not privy to the scheme.

I understand all the hype, which naturally comes from the 4 TDs. But I think you are forming an opinion based on variables none of us are aware of.

All I have said, was based on what I see from the guy in practice, there is NOT one shred of evidence of him being a "diva". He seems to be genuinely liked by his teammates. He is continually part of the mix of players when he is on the sidelines during drills.

One of the things I pay attention to, and firmly believe. In sports, and in life, people gravitate to others they perceive to be their peers. On a football team, one notices that the "starters" all tend to group together. Regardless of position.

When they come out before practice, you will find guys like Conrath, Brodine, and Cudjo all hangin out together. Find Brandon Washington, and you're likely to see Ty Nsekhe close by. You see Cody Davis and Rashard Hall, walking together or tossing the ball around. You see Courtland, Trumaine and Janoris.

The only reason I mention this, is it tells me, he is very TEAM oriented, and hangs with the "guys" and they with him.

One other observation about the Givens rivalry in practice. I have heard from more than one source, they are very close friends. I think that drives them both to compete against one another. Again, I mention this, as further indication of how he interacts with is teammates.

Well the Mentalist is one of my favorite programs.

I can't argue about me not knowing the whole story but like everyone, you eventually have to base your opinion, subject to change, on what you do know.

Mine is subject to change.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Coach I think the AZ INTs were from film study too, at least that's what I thought when I watched them on instant replay and on YouTube. He seemed to jump as soon as the WR went into his break. He may have been peeking though of course, it just seemed to me that he knew the play as it was unfolding. The other one I can't recall well enough to comment on.

He is going to be a risk taker and like I said before he is dangerous with the ball in his hands so if he isn't trying to get it IMO it diminishes his value as a player a tiny bit. I want him to go for it if he feels like he can get the ball. Coaches will wise him up and so will game experience and film study and he will make fewer mistakes as he learns the craft.

I'm glad they got him.......he is a big asset to the defense.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
albefree69 said:
X nailing it:

All I'm saying is, he'll never stop thinking about getting a turnover because that's what they do. He might try to gain an advantage by playing the odds more than other corners, but truthfully ... I'm glad he does. As others have pointed out, he'll soon get more help over the top and can afford to take those chances without fear of giving up a TD. And in press man coverage, he's all about blanketing the receiver from what I remember. The instances where he tries to anticipate the throw and jump the route are fairly few and far between anyway.

It sums it up perfectly. :yeh:

I'm not sure it's playing the percentages if you think that (probably) two rookies will be able to cover for him.

I've watched Champ Bailey many many times and he plays the type of game I really like. Tight coverage and when the opportunity comes he's there for the interception. I think he's thinking about INTs too but more concerned about shutting down the WR. As a former safety you know a lot more about this than I do but why don't I see this same type of behavior from our other DBs? Are they just less sure of their talent and thus more unwilling to take the chance? I don't know the answer but I do know that I like Champ bailey. :lol:

CoachO added:

Well the Mentalist is one of my favorite programs.

I can't argue about me not knowing the whole story but like everyone, you eventually have to base your opinion, subject to change, on what you do know.

Mine is subject to change.

Fair enough,,,

......and have you ever figured out who Red John is? LMAO!!!!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CoachO making me want to pull my hair out:
......and have you ever figured out who Red John is? LMAO!!!!

No damn it! Don't tell me if you know.

I just hope it's not Cho cause he's my favorite. I love his dry wit. :bg:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_mentalist/red-john/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_mentalist/red-john/</a>

On a more ego building note, I did figure out who Moriarty was on Elementary.