Raiders break ground on Vegas Stadium / Spanos bashing on Twitter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No surprise SJ39 was there, he grew up in Vegas. Happy he's enjoying life after football

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Why is a MaGoof invited? He has done nothing, but turn everything he touches to crap:

The Palms
The Sacramento Kings

I feel bad for these Raiders fans.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After watching it, I don’t think that is SJ. It just doesn’t look like his face. I also hadn’t heard that he cut off his dreds so I’m going to say no.
He cut off his dreads a long time ago while he was still playing

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
SJ definitely cut those a while back... but I never really considered them dreads because they were extensions. Not sure if they always were, but it kind of weirded me out when I read about his extensions at some point near the end of his time with the Rams.

Now... that's not as bad as frosted tips... but it's still just doesn't seem right to me.

Glad he finally nixed them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Oh and almost forgot... Another thing is the Vegas home field advantage, i.e. the other team's players wanting to enjoy the fruits of what it has to offer and being flat on gameday. I have a feeling the city itself will be worth another point or so in terms of home field advantage over time.

I think there is some real truth to that and it'll take some planning to avoid. Like staying somewhere else and bussing in on game day. I wouldn't want a team of young millionaires in Vegas the night before a 1 pm kickoff.

fearsomefour

Legend
Oakland leaving Oakland for Vegas sad

Two teams in LA a mistake.

Keep the Chargers in SD.

The commish does a bad job but at least he is way overpaid for it.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think there is some real truth to that and it'll take some planning to avoid. Like staying somewhere else and bussing in on game day. I wouldn't want a team of young millionaires in Vegas the night before a 1 pm kickoff.
Haha.
Alright guys enjoy the bus trip to Pahrump.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Two teams in LA a mistake.

Keep the Chargers in SD.

I'm really surprised that the NFL gave the green light for 2 teams in LA this time around, when all evidence from the 80's & early 90's amply proved that was a bad idea.

NFL HQ thinks it's an oversimplified numbers game: 10 million+ citizens in the LA Metro Area, Coliseum has a sellout capacity for 65000 (with expandability, if necessary), StubHub has a capacity of 27000 = BUMS IN SEATS EVERY HOME GAME!

I put it down to a combination of hubris and greed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why is a MaGoof invited? He has done nothing, but turn everything he touches to crap:

The Palms
The Sacramento Kings

I feel bad for these Raiders fans.

The Maloofs are minority owners of the Knights, who are a model expac franchise and basically in the NHL the best ever to date. So yeah I agree those two are idiots and all, but their stock has risen with their role with the hockey club.

Guy I really love is Bill Foley. He's a great owner man, it's too bad he isn't going to buy the Raiduhs, he'd be an immense upgrade over Davis' brood.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm really surprised that the NFL gave the green light for 2 teams in LA this time around, when all evidence from the 80's & early 90's amply proved that was a bad idea.

NFL HQ thinks it's an oversimplified numbers game: 10 million+ citizens in the LA Metro Area, Coliseum has a sellout capacity for 65000 (with expandability, if necessary), StubHub has a capacity of 27000 = BUMS IN SEATS EVERY HOME GAME!

I put it down to a combination of hubris and greed.
And much more important than butts in seats is viewers across all pay platforms. That is what it's really about for the NFL.
For the owners net worth of their franchise.

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg

Thing that irks me is we told anyone who'd listen that we didn't want the Chargers. Those of us without drooling problems wanted the Rams, and those of us with wanted the Raiders. Drool/no drool, nobody wanted the Chargers.

I knew the Rams were going to in be in for a rough second season after the honeymoon was Fishered away, so to add another team to it just makes us look worse.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After watching it, I don’t think that is SJ. It just doesn’t look like his face. I also hadn’t heard that he cut off his dreds so I’m going to say no.
Yeah, there was a tv show recently showing SJ with his dreads cut off. I couldn’t even recognize him, lol.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/27/nfl-owners-approve-raiders-stadium-plan/

NFL owners approve Raiders’ stadium plan
Posted by Charean Williams on March 27, 2018

gettyimages-675859286-e1522182004636.jpg

Getty Images

The Las Vegas Raiders moved a step closer to fruition Tuesday.

NFL owners voted to approve the Raiders’ $1.8 billion stadium plan, Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports.

The Las Vegas Stadium Authority will review the project’s final details and vote on the plan Wednesday. Construction currently is scheduled for completion August 1, 2020. The Raiders received approval for relocation last March.

The Raiders will play this season in Oakland and hope to remain there in 2019, but the team’s lease with the Oakland-Alameda County Stadium expires after 2018. So it will need to work out an extension to stay in Oakland an extra season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Raiders moving to Vegas will make the Chargers even less viable in LA than they were. I truly cannot see any part of the LA fan base becoming Chargers fans with the Rams and the Raiders so close. The Chargers have an older QB and are not a good team anyway...What a dumpster fire...

fUR0Vxq.jpg

Meanwhile, after handily outdrawing the Chargers in a season that the Rams won their division and made the playoffs - the Rams developed what was on paper the most fearsome defense in the league. Not sure if the Chargers have really done anything this offseason. But maybe if the Chargers block out more seats, they can fill their high school stadium with mostly their own fans.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.reviewjournal.com/busin...approve-raiders-stadium-project-in-las-vegas/

NFL owners approve Raiders stadium project in Las Vegas
10321433_web1_stadium-advance_032318ev_004_4618536.jpg

Kaipo Dean, from left, his sister Chianti Lloyd, mother Roxy Dean, and brother-in-law, Dewan Lloyd, view a Raiders stadium model on display at the Las Vegas stadium preview center at Town Square, Friday, March 23, 2018. Erik Verduzco Las Vegas Review-Journal @Erik_Verduzco
10321433_web1_stadium-advance_032318ev_001_4618532.jpg

A Raiders stadium model on display at the Las Vegas stadium preview center at Town Square, Friday, March 23, 2018. Erik Verduzco Las Vegas Review-Journal @Erik_Verduzco
10321433_web1_stadium-advance_032318ev_005_4618538.jpg

A Raiders stadium model on display at the Las Vegas stadium preview center at Town Square, Friday, March 23, 2018. Erik Verduzco Las Vegas Review-Journal @Erik_Verduzco
10321433_web1_stadium-advance_032318ev_003_4618534.jpg

10321433_web1_9061835_web1_las-vegas-stadium-04067.jpg

A rendering of the Las Vegas Raiders stadium project. (MANICA Architecture)
10321433_web1_web9055311_web1_las-vegas-stadium-07042.jpg

A rendering of the Las Vegas Raiders stadium project. (MANICA Architecture)
Related Stories

Stadium Authority readies final push for development agreement

Features of Las Vegas Raiders stadium revealed at meeting

65,000-seat Las Vegas Raiders stadium will cost $1.8B to build

Use of luxury suite on agenda for Las Vegas Stadium Authority

By Michael Gehlken / Las Vegas Review-Journal
March 27, 2018 - 12:59 pm

Updated March 27, 2018 - 5:43 pm
ORLANDO, Fla. — The Raiders took an expected but significant step Tuesday in their effort to build a state-of-the-art stadium in Las Vegas when NFL owners voted almost unanimously to approve a $200 million loan for the $1.8 billion project.

The vote was 31-1 in favor of the Raiders’ stadium plan during the league’s annual meeting, a source said. The person did not disclose which owner dissented, though the Cincinnati Bengals’ Mike Brown is known to vote against lines on such issues.

The loan is part of the NFL’s G-4 program, reserved for stadium construction projects. Certain aspects of the Raiders’ PSL program also were approved as part of Tuesday’s voting, team president Marc Badain said.

“It’s a big day,” owner Mark Davis said. “We’ve got a few more things to do … but it’s exciting again to see a public-private partnership that has just gone so well and so smoothly. You’ve got to give Gov. (Brian) Sandoval, (Clark County Commissioner) Steve Sisolak and even Tommy White with (Local) 872 so much credit for bringing this project together. The jobs they’re creating for Las Vegas and the benefits they’re bringing to that community, it’s just extraordinary.”

Attention now reshifts to Southern Nevada.

At 9 a.m. Wednesday, the Las Vegas Stadium Authority will review the project’s final details. There, the plan can receive a final green light. Construction is scheduled to be completed on Aug. 1, 2020, a couple of weeks before the Raiders would host their first exhibition game there; the season will begin in September.

To appear in Las Vegas, Badain made a fairly quick exit Tuesday from the hotel at which NFL owners met this week. The vote occurred about 4 p.m. EST, roughly three hours before his scheduled flight to Southern Nevada.

Still, he had time to reflect.

Tuesday’s vote occurred on the one-year anniversary of when, at a league meeting in Phoenix, 31 of 32 owners approved the Raiders to relocate from Oakland to Las Vegas. Significant progress since has been made, progress reflected in the activity at the Russell Road construction site, marketing and community relations efforts outside it and more behind-the-scenes workings.

By approving that loan, owners effectively recognized that progress.

“It’s pretty remarkable, isn’t it?” Badain said. “It says a lot about that community — it really does — what they’re capable of. The support that we, as an organization, have received from everybody there, from Sisolak on down. And everyone in the county, and everyone in the stadium authority board, and the governor and the Adelson family. Everyone that had a part in this.

“It’s amazing that it was a year ago we got approval. We got a big hole in the ground, the steel being ordered, the concrete being poured. The Preview Center opened. It’s happening fast. Imagine a year from now. Imagine 850 days from now.”

The authority board is expected to review and sign a number of documents Wednesday.

Many pertain not only to the Raiders’ relocation but also to UNLV’s use of the stadium for Rebels football and the Raiders’ oversight of stadium construction and event management. Agreements also prevent the team from leaving Las Vegas during the 30-year term of the deal and provide findings of the Raiders’ financial status to satisfy requirements listed in Senate Bill 1. The legislation provides $750 million in public money toward construction.

The authority purposely set its final approval meeting Wednesday, giving the owners one more chance to offer amendments to agreements.

While Davis and Badain expressed satisfaction and pride with the progress in the past year, they acknowledged the work that remains.

Davis said, now that the season is over and coach Jon Gruden has been hired, he plans to visit Las Vegas more in the coming months as part of his involvement. He also acknowledged the luxury of having core staffers, such as Badain, in place to continue to spearhead those efforts.

Amid the relocation, the owner seemed hopeful Las Vegas could host the NFL draft in spring 2020. He called the city a “slam dunk” to host a Super Bowl sometime thereafter.

Draft and Super Bowl location bids will be determined at the May owner meetings in Atlanta. Davis serves on the Super Bowl and Major Events Advisory Committee and hinted that Las Vegas might not be on the shortlist for the Super Bowl 57 and 58 bids. The next four Super Bowls, 53 to 56, already are determined. Phoenix could receive a game in May, Davis said.

The Raiders have substantial stadium work ahead, and that is without mentioning their ongoing efforts to extend their lease at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. It expires after this season, and the franchise hopes to play there through 2019.

Hence, Tuesday was only one step.

“We have to keep the project on time and on budget,” Badain said. “We have to sell it. We have to build a practice facility. There’s going to be a million things to do. This, I think, closes the chapter on a lot of the documentation and all the legal framework, everything related to the transfer of the land. There’s just a lot that goes into a deal that’s this complex and has this many elements to a public-private sponsorship.”

More Raiders: Follow all of our Raiders coverage online at reviewjournal.com/Raiders and @NFLinVegas on Twitter.

Review-Journal staff writer Richard N. Velotta contributed to this report. Contact reporter Michael Gehlken at mgehlken@reviewjournal.com. Follow @GehlkenNFL on Twitter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta admit the images of the stadium are damn nice. The location will be across the 15 from the strip, so I've heard they're going to have under-the-freeway stuff going on for transiting to/from.

Moving out of Vegas probably end of the year, but projects like this are why I'm going to clear a lot of diniero when I sell my house. Californians are pushing up the price of houses at an insane rate right now. :D