Raiders at Rams - Preseason Game 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
Usually, you move the HB there if you think the blitz is coming through the A or B gap. But Funk didn't seem to be keying on the right guy. Either that or the rest of the OL was screwing up the protection. (Or both.)

Either ways, on both plays, there was a free rusher coming whom Funk could have blocked. In both cases, he keyed in on somebody else, resulting in the other guys coming through unblocked.
He was way too close to the LOS, or they planned it that way for some reason. Being that close reduced his flexibilty to choose who to block, and on one of those, he ended up blocking a guy that was already double teamed. So we had three blocking one. But hey, that defender went nowhere lol

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Perkin's passes were consistently late not just to Tutu but others as well. He was late like Goff often was because he's taking longer to make his reads. The difference between Perkins and Goff is that Perkins can escape times when Goff could not. Perkin's timing will improve with experience and coaching.

Perkin's deeper throws must improve upon his inconsistent accuracy. That should come with experience (i.e. improved timing, and faster reads) and improved mechanics.

Garrett is showing why the Rams took him. He is going to probably bump Okoronkwo off the roster. Garrett lacks long speed but has shown a good first step something lacking in Okoronkwo on a consistent basis. In two years Garrett could be a very good rotational edge. If Garrett continues to impress it gives Morris the option to play Lewis in rotation with Floyd to keep both fresh. This would give them Hollins, J. Williams, and Garrett.

Jonah Williams has shown versatility playing both on the edge and inside. His speed and strength are apparent and he's only going to get better. His problems right now are technique related so those are correctable issues.

Alaric Jackson continues to impress and he's going to make this roster. Anchrum needs to improve his run blocking. But blocking from the RT position is different if he were move inside to RG. It's clear the Rams have their swing OT in Jackson for next year so I would love to see them move Anchrum inside which would give them a true rotational player at both RT and OG.

Carberry's influence is showing as the second unit OL is playing better as they get positions ironed out. Shelton has looked better than he ever had under Kromer. Evan's is a work in progress but he's worth the effort. Brewer continues to struggle but all his missed time is showing. Brewer looks like a PS candidate right now. It looks like 9 on the OL right now with Meredith, Evans, and maybe Brewer going to the PS. With the emergence of Jackson and Antrum the need depth-wise is at OG and Meredith is probably a better OG right now than Brewer simply because he's built like a C/OG and it's his normal position.

LT Whitworth
LG Edwards
C Allen
RG Corbett
RT Havenstein
Swing OT Noteboom *
C/OG backup Shelton *
Backup OT A. Jackson
Backup OT/OG Anchrum *

* Gameday active
Great analysis overall and I totally agree with the Offensive Line breakdown. Jackson played well last night, improved in the run game from the last game, plus Shelton did have a strong game.

dang

Legend
With Calais out, they got to get a Rb now.
150% lock and load. I think they keep 4 RBs on the roster for insurance due to the 17 game season. Pick up and/or trade for 2 that fit the bill schematically/ financially and let them battle it out for a roster spot. If they are both better then Funk or Jones then Funk/Jones may have to start on the PS.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Perkins was a lot of fun. That being said, he's, clearly, a #3 QB right now who may develop into a solid backup. He's no threat to Wolford.
Xavier Jones is a decent little RB, imo. With Calais out, I'd like to see them bring in some size to the position.
Anchrum keeps developing nicely, and am I crazy or did it look like Alaric Jackson took a step from last week? He's got the size and athleticism.
I really hope the Tavon comparisons for Tutu are over now. Tutu is, very clearly, a WR, not a gadget player. Yes, he's small and fast, but he runs real routes and really, really catches the ball with his hands. Durability concerns are completely legitimate and he needs to get better on his routes, but he's fun. The argument over whether he's worth a 2nd rounder is one that will take a while to sort out, though.
Reports of Brycen Hopkins' demise have been greatly overrated.
How many teams have a #5 safety as good as JR Reed. A real nice find there. Looks like a solid player to me.
Tavin Howard, welcome back. We'll see plenty of him in the regular season.
I think Kiser is on the bubble and may not make the final roster.
Chris Garrett... yes, YES! Finding an edge with some real potential like this in the 7th will take some of the sting off of the inevitable release of Terrell Lewis. He may make some plays this season, and I think after a full off season with NFL nutrition and weightlifting as well as experience, Garrett is going to be a solid player and potential starter. Love his traits and he seems like he's locked in.
Bobby Brown III has the potential to be a force inside. He's playing one-handed and absolutely blew up a run play in the first half. I hope he has the intensity and drive to match his physical traits. What a friggen beast.
Earnest Brown is a big, big edge. He's interesting to watch.
The battle between Williams and Banks for a position on the 53 is a great one. Both guys with potential. I think Banks has the slight edge.
Ernest Jones has potential, but he's not big enough for that primary run stuffer and not a blazing speed guy for the off-ball stuff. We'll see.

I don't want to be worried about the kicking game.. but a blocked FG? Come on!

dang

Legend
Xavier Jones, JAG
Calais, JAG
Anderson, JAG
Funk, JAG

I do think Funk is worth developing. I'm not knocking the Rams or these players either. Akers/Henderson is a solid pair so expecting these depth kids to be special is unrealistic.
For now I disagree on Jones. I haven’t seen enough of him but what I have gives me some Hope. I see him as a solid RB 3. I think Funk could fill RB4 and provide some ST juice but he is at least a year away from shaking the RB JAG tag.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I thought tutu has been actually impressive. Routes werent bad he gets separation pretty easy. He keeps taking a licking and keeps on ticking. Since first hit by Samuel last week and he just springs right back up with those skinny legs. He reminds me of Tigger!!! I see him only improving when surrounded by more talent as well as when he gets some experience.
They are testing him and I think he is showing he can do this. They just have to be more selective in the plays they use him. He definitely is not an every down player. Getting him beat up with horrible play calling or bad execution, is not sustainable.

dang

Legend
Man Tutu going to be hard to keep on the field. As with the midget at QB for the Dead Birds I foresee a short banged up future for the little guy.
Because I’m too lazy to look up. Exactly how much time has Russell Wilson lost due to injury?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well, he likely won’t be on the field a ton this year. Haha.
His 1st year I think if he wins the returner job and is active, you will see him get a couple of touches a game. At least his name will be called a couple of times a game. He will be a decoy deep more than anything. He will be able to last with that type of usage. He only has to get a couple deep completions early to keep the D honest. Jackson will be on the field more but will need breathers running deep all the time. Atwell will be useful.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
It always surprises me how much it’s called down there.
Always a decent shot of a PI on a fade but outside of that it’s a low % play unless you have a complete physical mismatch.
I think it is one of the safest pass plays inside the 10, but you have to have a QB that can throw it and a big strong receiver who can block out. It's virtually unstoppable when done right. The pass can be thrown early cause it's a lob so pass rush is mitigated. The fade for 2 points was there, but the receiver and QB were not on the same page. Stafford would not have missed that pass.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Given Evans trouble pass blocking last year when I saw him starting last week I had the same thought.
That said, I am looking forward to see if Allen progressed.
I also expect him to be a whipping boy on the board if he is anything short of Tom Mack.
Nah. He just needs to be above league average for RoD fans not to rag on him. That would be a big upgrade over what Blythe provided

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Perkins was impressive with his poise and processing, especially being so inexperienced at this level.

I know Talib was trying to talk the kid up but really he might not have the arm to make it at the NFL level.

Many of his passes were too soft. Starting NFL DB's would have picked several balls off tonight because they were late, just as some have pointed out on this thread. It's not that he is late to the throw, its the throw is too slow.

If Perkins can be taught to throw with more zip then he might have a chance.

You can't be so careful with each throw.
My thoughts as well. He does not have the velocity to be able to hit smaller windows regularly IMO. I like him, and maybe that can be developed, but it may be more if an arm strength issue.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I’d like to see Funk snd Jones with the ones before saying they can’t get it done. Playing with the group they have been in the last two weeks makes it hard to evaluate.

Better last night after the first quarter but still too many whiffs and no second level blocking most plays.

I’ll have to look at blitz situations I saw Funk pick up a couple of guys. I don’t expect rookies to be great at that.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Why did they audible him so close to the line of scrimmage? It was a pretty obvious call to just blitz on the opposite side of the line where it was impossible for him to reach the free rusher. I can't say that's his fault, the schematics just looked strange on those plays imo
I didn't understand that either. They brought him all the way up, so I am not sure he could have even made those pickups from where he was.... Strange.

Psycho_X

Legend
Isn't the address on your credit card a giveaway? I've had game pass for two or three years. Now its not working on my tv. If I cancel it then get it again that does t tip them off?
Yeah I was afraid of that too but there isn't much they can do about it because someone who studies abroad or is in the service stationed internationally could be using it to watch NFL games and using their home address or their parents, etc. So they don't bother. Honestly, the NFL is probably happy they are getting money instead of watching it on an illegal stream so they just don't care since its basically money out of directv's pocket and not theirs

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I like Perkins. His arm strength is fine. His accuracy is good. He can run, is tough and is tough to bring down in the pocket. Imagine the fun McVay could have using him like Payton uses Hill. I wouldn't throw something at the TV when they come out in wildcat. He's much more dynamic than Wolford.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My thoughts on the game.

Perkins has to be the clear guy for the #3 QB job, assuming he didn't play his way onto another roster. I agree, a lot of his throws were slightly late or behind, with better anticipation/ball placement I think the offense really could have been humming. That makes me really excited to see what someone like Stafford will do, with his ability to make reads quicker and place the ball in spots where the receiver can get that YAC.

I like the separation TuTu can get, I think he could have had a lot more with a few better balls, he could potentially see more success than I anticipated this season if he gets more playing time. He does seem to get banged up a bit, skinny little kid getting thrown around out there, it'll happen, but he's tough since he kept coming back. As he ages he'll thicken up a bit, especially in the legs, I think that will help a little.

I like what I see from Funk, I think he could move his way up the depth chart. Jones seems to be who they want as a tough yard guy, checking in for a few short yardage situations, so I can see Henderson and Funk getting a good chunk of carries, and Jones being that Malcom Brown type short yard TD guy for this offense next year.

Defense is hard to really evaluate, but again, I liked what I saw from some of the young guys, lots of potential.

Penalties... Yuck, that better get cleaned up.

Bobby Evans... I was rooting for him, but it feels like he's playing his way off the roster. I don't know if it's just bias or what, but I felt like I heard his name more than I care to.

Finally, Talib... Someone get this man a full time booth job, I absolutely love his insight, more than I was expecting when I first heard he was going to be doing it, he's been a treat to listen to.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anybody else notice Talib make the comment I think in the 3rd quarter that "Burgess is fighting for a job". A lot around here have assumed he's starting with Fuller and Rapp is the 3rd but here Talib makes it sound like Burgess is just trying to maintain the #3 spot ahead of Reed and Scott before he got hurt but he'll be back soon.