Quinton Coples signs with the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Do you think that Coples was rebranded more than once to get his scars as big as they are? That does not look like a normal scar, even for a guy that has abnormally thick scarring.

Overall I don't think it looks good and can't imagine that a chick would be digging it.

No. I don't think he was branded multiple times per scar. I think the bigger the scar, the longer the brand was applied. And it has to do with him, personally. Also means he's generates a ton of scar tissue. That can be informative because that may also be reflected in other soft-tissue areas where scar tissue growth is a negative and can require subsequent arthroscopic "cleanups" following surgeries. Some guys' injuries require more attention than others because they generate more scar tissue.

I'm actually surprised with all of the Analytics going on that teams haven't started to look at that.

I'm not a huge fan of it, myself. I had a shipmate in the Navy who had one and, honestly, it used to freak me out a little.

They say "chicks dig scars", but... I think that's more when they come with a story... like "see this? I got this surfing off the coast of Patagonia. This shark musta thought I was a seal and breached right up under me. Knocked me off my board and nearly took my leg off..." or "see this one? I was just buying a Yoohoo at the 7-11 when this guy holds up the place with a knife. A pregnant lady walks in and he goes to grab her. I jumped in and grabbed his arm and he stabbed me. Thankfully, he only knicked my kidney right there..."

I think chicks dig THOSE kinds of scars.

I think most chicks see the Frat scars and either a) don't know what the hell (most of A will think it's gross), b) don't like it because for better or worse, Greek stuff is just too rapey these days or c) they're down with Greeks and they appreciate the dedication.

I don't think outside of the Frat/Sorority system that the scars are exactly a chick magnet. Sorta like HUUGE muscles. A few chicks like that, but most...really don't. They like fit, but they think YUGE muscles are disgusting.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams 2016 probable starters in their four player Defensive line should be:
#1-Aaron Donald- DT
#2-Micheal Brockers- Nose Tackle
#3-Robert Quinn- RDE
#4-William Hayes- LDE/DT

Besides the listed above 4, Snead has under contract:
#5- Eugene Sims> RDE/DT- 7th season has finished 11 games @ RDE & started 2 games @ DT.
#6- Ethan Westbrooks> DT/LDE/RDE- 3rd season has played in 19 games.
#7- Louis Tricant-Pasat> DT-2nd season has zero NFL games experience.
#8- John Longacre> LDE- 2nd season has 5 NFL games experience.
#9- Zack Hodges> RDE/SSLB'er-2nd season has zero NFL experience.
#10- Quinton Cople> RDE/DT/LDE- Has a ton of experience on the outside edge.

Fisher appears to have FIVE DL'ers who could play the 3 technique DT post. He looks to have FOUR DL'ers who could play Left DE post. He appears to have FIVE Dl'ers who have played Right DE post. Fisher seems to be lacking any DL other than Brockers of the listed 10 who could start & hold the Nose Tackle post if Brockers were out or IR'd. Reserves behind Michael Brockers @ Nose Tackle ????V A C A N C Y :notsure:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/3/18/11260990/2016-nfl-free-agency-new-york-jets-quinton-coples

2016 NFL Free Agency: Q&A With Jets Writer On DE Quinton Coples
By 3k@3k_

GettyImages-150133599.0.jpg

Joe Robbins/Getty Images

Getting the inside info from Scott Salmon of Gang Green Nation, the SB Nation community for New York Jets fans.

On Wednesday, the Los Angeles Rams signed DE Quinton Coples. Coples flamed out after three and a half seasons with the New York Jets; a short stint with the Dolphins last year wasn't enough to get his career turned around. So to get a better sense of Coples' all around game, I linked up with Scott Salmon of Gang Green Nation, the SB Nation community for Jets fans, to see what he and they thought of the 16th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

How would you define his play at the NFL level? What kind of DE is he supposed to be?

Coples was often talked about as an outside guy and was used a lot as an OLB. However, he was at his best when used as a down lineman, particularly from the interior.

Obviously, he just didn't pan out with you guys. What was the central issue? Was it a lack of athleticism? Size/strength? Was it more off-field/professionalism issues like work ethic?

Coples always had more than enough athleticism, but the common saying was, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane." While he was capable of big plays, like stuffing Josh Hill on fourth down or nearly decapitating Maurice Jones-Drew, they were infrequent. So he had his moments, but he just couldn't be consistent enough to hack it.

The Jets and Rams both have two of the best defensive fronts in the league, so it's not as if surroundings alone are going to fix Coples' trajectory. Could a switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense be enough to reignite Coples NFL career? If you were charting a course to a successful 2016 for Coples, what would it look like?

I think it should help him. If he's allowed to stick his hand in the dirt and just go after the QB, that may be enough to ignite him. However, he'll need more motivation than that to try and make him consistent, but it should help.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's just hard for me to see a young DL'er who was a star in college playing in a 43 and playing the RDE post recently listed as 6-6 295 plus pounder playing in a 34 defenses as one of the outside LB'ers & enjoying it in a pass happy league.

Now having been reunited with former friend Robert Quinn (who played in front of Quinton earlier North Carolina) might just do the trick here in new surroundings. The 2012 draft rumor was Quinton was one of the 2012 draft's true boom-or-bust prospects. It was said @ that time....." mailing in his senior year at North Carolina". They said at that time "At 6-foot-6, 284 pounds, Coples is ideally suited to end in a 3-4 scheme". Funny thing was Quinton saw ZERO action as a stand-up outside linebacker:thinking:. The Jets spent most all their time trying to mold & count on Quinton to transform himself from a left end in a 34 into a rush linebacker in the 34 defense....it was a total fail job & currently. I did read where Quinton was as light as 265 back in mid August in 2014 after losing nearly 30 pounds so he can get lighter if he wants to be Rob Quinn like. The last significant injury to him was back in Aug/2013 with a fractured ankle.

In summary I have no ideal where Gregg/Waufle/Simmons will want to insert him at on this DL but if it were me I would certainly hope it would be in that Right DE with the surgically repaired Rob Quinn. But it would not surprise me if Quinton is back up close to 300 pounds muscled up the way he prefers ....that he will see a ton of action behind DT Aarond Donald & that just fine too.

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I love love LOVE his size. Kind of gives us the "Calais Campbell" type guy on the edge, yet he also will be good at getting his nads up pushing up the middle. Greg Williams has to be salivating at the possibilities.