Quick didnt drop the that was just good defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
i dont think quick has had a fair chance. hes always open yet clemens doesnt even look his way. yes he had bad drops vs carolina and the ball hit him in the head vsi forgot theteam but he also caught the 70 yarder and 20 yarder vs panthers to. all the other games hes made plays when his numberwas called. were not going to the playoffs they should be trying to get him involved more. thats what i dont get. fisher said hes making plays in practice. if thats true why isnt he in the game plan more. he cant get better if you dont throw him the ball. thats why i think he would be better off on another team. just doesnt seem right to me

I agree in the philosophy you let the best players play. Right now I think Stedman, CG, Pettis, & Tavon are better. Quick gets his fair share of snaps, but imo its up to him to get open. I will admit having KC as QB hurts the whole O, as far as accuracy of balls & deep opportunities, but WRs still can work on making themselves better to improve their oppurtunities to make grabs. Quick still has a ways to go as far as routes, and imo he isn't a guy like TA or Stedman that can get open quickly. His inconsistency catching the easier balls & using his size is what frustrates me and others. I honestly remember more miscues from Quick this year than big plays, that needs to change.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And the younger players that have consistently performed are? Which one has more snaps than Quick? I'd love to have seen more from Quick by now. But then I'd have loved to see more from (insert name here) by now. I'm also not saying he is devoid of responsibility. We've seen a good game or two by virtually everyone on our roster charged with catching a ball. BTW - Quick has the third most starts on the team at WR. The 2nd? Pettis with 5 whole starts. The only regular starting WR on this team is Givens. I can only guess why that really is but it's part of why I haven't given up on Quick. I'm not convinced BS knows where this offense is going or how to use the pieces he's got.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree in the philosophy you let the best players play. Right now I think Stedman, CG, Pettis, & Tavon are better. Quick gets his fair share of snaps, but imo its up to him to get open. I will admit having KC as QB hurts the whole O, as far as accuracy of balls & deep opportunities, but WRs still can work on making themselves better to improve their oppurtunities to make grabs. Quick still has a ways to go as far as routes, and imo he isn't a guy like TA or Stedman that can get open quickly. His inconsistency catching the easier balls & using his size is what frustrates me and others. I honestly remember more miscues from Quick this year than big plays, that needs to change.

from what i see he gets open kc doesnt look his way though. what has givens done this year but drop balls and cause interceptions everybody you named except stedman has more drops then quick. right now i feel pettis is our best receiver. tavon gets all his big plays off gadget plays dump offs. all im saying is give him some targetsthe last 2 games if he fails then hey move on the seasons lost anyway. its not like he doesnt get playing time last 3 or 4 weeks hes been 2nd in snaps but last in targets. why is he even playing for. i know its getting frustrating for him it has to. then when he does get a target znd the defender plays good defense and he doesnt make the catch then everybody wants to go at his kneck like he does that all the time when thats the first time hes got the ball in weeks everybody preaches consistency but doesnt he need to get the ball thrown to him to build on his consistency?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i dont think quick has had a fair chance. hes always open yet clemens doesnt even look his way. yes he had bad drops vs carolina and the ball hit him in the head vsi forgot theteam but he also caught the 70 yarder and 20 yarder vs panthers to. all the other games hes made plays when his numberwas called. were not going to the playoffs they should be trying to get him involved more. thats what i dont get. fisher said hes making plays in practice. if thats true why isnt he in the game plan more. he cant get better if you dont throw him the ball. thats why i think he would be better off on another team. just doesnt seem right to me

He is playing. Nothing Fisher can do to make Clemens throw him the ball. But Clemens did give him a shot yesterday and Quick didn't make the play. It wasn't a "drop" but as I said before, it was a play that I was disappointed he didn't make.

lockdnram21

Legend
He is playing. Nothing Fisher can do to make Clemens throw him the ball. But Clemens did give him a shot yesterday and Quick didn't make the play. It wasn't a "drop" but as I said before, it was a play that I was disappointed he didn't make.

i hear ya bu i still feel it wasnt Quicks fault just good defense. prime example when janoris intercepted the ball from marshall that was called ack because of tru just good defense

duckhunter

Starter
When determining people's Efficiency and Effectiveness, I look at two things: What are their abilities? What is their willingness level? If they are idgets, they probably can't do the job without a lot of help or training. If they don't have the desire to do the job, then it ain't gonna happen to your satisfaction.

Quick has a ton of potential if you project his physical tools: size/speed ratio, athleticism measurements. Using my trusty WR litmus test and inputting those 'givens', he reads very high quality but it hasn't transferred to the field for whatever reason on game day. His potential simply hasn't been realized and still in question. Gotta be something else such as poor QB play/bad coaching/whatever. Maybe/maybe not.

In big Tehas bidness, he'd be called: All hat, no ranch. When someone uses the word skilled, it usually infers 'accomplished' and can be measured on a scale often relating to production and used against a benchmark for comparison purposes. Production, we haven't seen much of for whatever reason. No consistency to determine much of anything-he scores a TD, yeah, he gets hit in the back of the head with a pass-boo, drops an easy pass- boo. I'd add a few other things but emotions are too high in this thread.

Now going to my trusty WR slide ruler, what do we get when inputting in addition to his physical tools other 'givens' such as marginal experience/competition at the collegiate level, maybe no prior coaching or training and ?????? intelligence/?????learning acuity. I could add to this but no use pissing people off any more than necessary. So we got some questions concerning 'abilities' to reach a high level of proficiency.

What about the second half on rating E and E: his willingness/desire? I say good luck with that. I won't get into it.

My trusty WR slide ruler reads "boom or bust, yet to be determined." All I can say is just keep working with him and marching him out there until something clicks, or not. Put a smile on da face, pump him up and that is what da Fishman is doing.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I guess it depends on what you mean by skilled. What type of skills are we discussing? When I think of skills, I think of technical skills. And imo, Pettis is a more technically skilled player.

When I refer to "skilled", I'm talking about physical skillset. Quick is bigger, faster, stronger, can high point balls like no one else, including Pettis. I did say that does NOT mean he is the "best" WR at this point. But IMO, his ceiling light years beyond what Pettis or anyone else on this roster is.

Pettis is much more polished and much more experienced in every way. That is not debatable. He was groomed in a program that was very advanced in the passing game in Boise St. His athleticism is under rated. I get all that. But Quick, IMO, will eventually, and IMO, sooner than later surpass Pettis and if he continues to develop. Anyone who fails to see the progress that he has made THIS YEAR vs. last, either doesn't want to, or is blinded by their own unrealistic expectations.

Will it ever come to fruition? None of us really know. But at this PRESENT day and time, my biggest issue is that so many seem to completely disregard his progress because they ONLY look at the stat sheet. And under the current situation, failing to acknowledge the Rams overall philosophy has more to do with Quick's lack of "production" on the stat sheet. Quick', or ANY other WR at this point.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He didn't drop the ball. It was a good play on defense. Both statements are true but the fact is that he could and should have made a better play on that particular ball. Still, I think Quick has improved and will continue to do so. As fast as we all would have liked? No.

But I have to say - Coach is right in that I watch Quick run a route and Clemens doesn't even PRETEND to look his way. It absolutely has to be frustrating if you are Quick. When you do get open, the QB is not even paying any attention to you. Then, you are not even really open and you are expected to play like you get targeted all the time. Maybe you put that on Quick and the rapport he has or has not built with the QB. I dunno. But I have seen him make difficult catches and I can guarantee you that if you watch some games like the AZ game, you will see him get open and watch Clemens COMPLETELY ignore him. And I mean COMPLETELY ignore. Watch as Quick goes sprinting down the left side with about 10 feet of separation and KC follows two receivers on the right. He doesn't even turn like he wants to see him.

It's not really a mystery if you watch the plays. We average about 17 completions a game with KC in there. Our TEs take most of those receptions. Put two or three of those catches in the RBs hands, and you are left with about 8 total passes to WRs. If you are running down the sideline and your QB is not even looking in your direction, after you have played the most snaps (IIRR) of any receiver on the field, how much work do you get in on your ball skills? He's been more of a blocker than a receiver. I don't know that I put this all on Quick. In fact, I would suggest that other teams WOULD have made him more of the offense.

So what you're saying is; It's KC fault that Quick slowed up on that ball.

What happened to individual responsibility?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The Quick bashing gets old. He has the second fewest drops on the team.

Bailey has the fewest, right?

The golden child is the one who was prioritized for targets and consequently leads the team in drops.

I'll let you all figure out who that is.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
When I refer to "skilled", I'm talking about physical skillset. Quick is bigger, faster, stronger, can high point balls like no one else, including Pettis. I did say that does NOT mean he is the "best" WR at this point. But IMO, his ceiling light years beyond what Pettis or anyone else on this roster is.

Pettis is much more polished and much more experienced in every way. That is not debatable. He was groomed in a program that was very advanced in the passing game in Boise St. His athleticism is under rated. I get all that. But Quick, IMO, will eventually, and IMO, sooner than later surpass Pettis and if he continues to develop. Anyone who fails to see the progress that he has made THIS YEAR vs. last, either doesn't want to, or is blinded by their own unrealistic expectations.

Will it ever come to fruition? None of us really know. But at this PRESENT day and time, my biggest issue is that so many seem to completely disregard his progress because they ONLY look at the stat sheet. And under the current situation, failing to acknowledge the Rams overall philosophy has more to do with Quick's lack of "production" on the stat sheet. Quick', or ANY other WR at this point.

Coach, I think people are responding to his lack of playmaking ability. We all get that he's not going to get a ton of balls. And to say he's better than last year isn't saying a whole bunch.

I don't want to go into next year with him as our number 1 or 2 receiver. And I think that's also why people are critical of him - the expectations. Sure he didn't ask to be drafted in the second round. But the fact remains, he was drafted in the second round.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The Quick bashing gets old. He has the second fewest drops on the team.

Bailey has the fewest, right?

The golden child is the one who was prioritized for targets and consequently leads the team in drops.

I'll let you all figure out who that is.

Please only one WR can be bashed per thread. ;)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach, I think people are responding to his lack of playmaking ability. We all get that he's not going to get a ton of balls. And to say he's better than last year isn't saying a whole bunch.

I don't want to go into next year with him as our number 1 or 2 receiver. And I think that's also why people are critical of him - the expectations. Sure he didn't ask to be drafted in the second round. But the fact remains, he was drafted in the second round.

See, that's where we disagree. I do NOT question his playmaking ability. I have seen it firsthand. I have watched him run the intermediate (15-18 yard) dig routes that Torry Holt made a living on, and be virtually unstoppable. I realize that much of my opinion is based on what I see throughout training camp. and it tends to give me a broader perspective on what certain players are capable of, over someone who only has Sundays to judge. Not saying one is better than the other. Just stating that I have the luxury of seeing them in a capacity that many do not.

I watch him run that same route every week, and not have the ball thrown to him. Whether its by design or not, who knows, but Clemens does NOT appear to have the confidence to throw THAT PASS. They continue to try to force the slant to Givens, who wants NO PART of it. Unless he has a 8 yard cushion, he will not make a play on the ball in traffic. Quick and more recently Bailey, continue to excel on that route. You tell me why they don't use Quick in that fashion.

Like I said, for me anyway, the one thing I don't question is his playmaking ability. The thing I question is WHY he isn't being given more opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:

nighttrain

Legend

well said Coach
train

ausmurp

Starter
He didn't drop the ball. It was a good play on defense. Both statements are true but the fact is that he could and should have made a better play on that particular ball. Still, I think Quick has improved and will continue to do so. As fast as we all would have liked? No.

But I have to say - Coach is right in that I watch Quick run a route and Clemens doesn't even PRETEND to look his way. It absolutely has to be frustrating if you are Quick. When you do get open, the QB is not even paying any attention to you. Then, you are not even really open and you are expected to play like you get targeted all the time. Maybe you put that on Quick and the rapport he has or has not built with the QB. I dunno. But I have seen him make difficult catches and I can guarantee you that if you watch some games like the AZ game, you will see him get open and watch Clemens COMPLETELY ignore him. And I mean COMPLETELY ignore. Watch as Quick goes sprinting down the left side with about 10 feet of separation and KC follows two receivers on the right. He doesn't even turn like he wants to see him.

It's not really a mystery if you watch the plays. We average about 17 completions a game with KC in there. Our TEs take most of those receptions. Put two or three of those catches in the RBs hands, and you are left with about 8 total passes to WRs. If you are running down the sideline and your QB is not even looking in your direction, after you have played the most snaps (IIRR) of any receiver on the field, how much work do you get in on your ball skills? He's been more of a blocker than a receiver. I don't know that I put this all on Quick. In fact, I would suggest that other teams WOULD have made him more of the offense.

I just don't see where you are getting this. I've watched the play over and over in slow motion, the defender NEVER touched the ball. It wen't right off of BOTH of Quick's fingertips. The defender had his hand in and on Quicks chest. Again, it went right off of both of Quicks finger tips. Defender DID NOT hit the ball or make contact with the ball at all. It was not a good defensive play, it was a drop by Quick.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
See, that's where we disagree. I do NOT question his playmaking ability. I have seen it firsthand. I have watched him run the intermediate (15-18 yard) dig routes that Torry Holt made a living on, and be virtually unstoppable. I realize that much of my opinion is based on what I see throughout training camp. and it tends to give me a broader perspective on what certain players are capable of, over someone who only has Sundays to judge. Not saying one is better than the other. Just stating that I have the luxury of seeing them in a capacity that many do not.

I watch him run that some route every week, and not have the ball thrown to him. Whether its by design or not, who knows, but Clemens does NOT appear to have the confidence to throw THAT PASS. They continue to try to force the slant to Givens, who wants NO PART of it. Unless he has a 8 yard cushion, he will not make a play on the ball in traffic. Quick and more recently Bailey, continue to excel on that route. You tell me why they don't use Quick in that fashion.

Like I said, for me anyway, the one thing I don't question is his playmaking ability. The thing I question is WHY he isn't being given more opportunities.

You're right Coach. I don't get to see him practice or play outside of the occasional Sunday game. So on the plays where I do see him the experience is magnified 10x. And really when I close my eyes and think about his play I can only see two; the drop in the endzone from Bradford against Carolina and the mis-play down the sideline last week.

It would save a heck of a lot of draft capital if we didn't need to take a WR in round 1, that's for sure. So who knows.

The Givens observation is troubling... And we know why KC isn't throwing the deep dig; his arm. It's too bad we can't see Bradford make that throw. Then again Bradford didn't seem to want to throw it down field. But maybe Quick wasn't playing then? I don't know.... That's a good question actually.

Where was Quick when Bradford was playing QB? Was he still getting open on deep digs, etc?

(P.S., I'm sure its a well deserved privilege that you get to see them play up front and personal.)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just don't see where you are getting this. I've watched the play over and over in slow motion, the defender NEVER touched the ball. It wen't right off of BOTH of Quick's fingertips. The defender had his hand in and on Quicks chest. Again, it went right off of both of Quicks finger tips. Defender DID NOT hit the ball or make contact with the ball at all. It was not a good defensive play, it was a drop by Quick.

So did I. The defender has Quick's arms. As I said before. I agree that Quick could have made a better play on the ball if we are isolating that one play.
the fact is that he could and should have made a better play on that particular ball.
But I'm not going to take that play and make it a microcosm of what I've seen both by him and by the way our offense has been run.

lockdnram21

Legend

I don't know what to tell you I watched it to a bunch and I seen clearly it hit the defenders hand first. Even the announcers. Said it was good defense you might want to take another look. At first I thought it was a drop to by I seen it clearly and not just me on another forum over 10 people said the same thing

V3

Hall of Fame
When determining people's Efficiency and Effectiveness, I look at two things: What are their abilities? What is their willingness level? If they are idgets, they probably can't do the job without a lot of help or training. If they don't have the desire to do the job, then it ain't gonna happen to your satisfaction.

Quick has a ton of potential if you project his physical tools: size/speed ratio, athleticism measurements. Using my trusty WR litmus test and inputting those 'givens', he reads very high quality but it hasn't transferred to the field for whatever reason on game day. His potential simply hasn't been realized and still in question. Gotta be something else such as poor QB play/bad coaching/whatever. Maybe/maybe not.

In big Tehas bidness, he'd be called: All hat, no ranch. When someone uses the word skilled, it usually infers 'accomplished' and can be measured on a scale often relating to production and used against a benchmark for comparison purposes. Production, we haven't seen much of for whatever reason. No consistency to determine much of anything-he scores a TD, yeah, he gets hit in the back of the head with a pass-boo, drops an easy pass- boo. I'd add a few other things but emotions are too high in this thread.

Now going to my trusty WR slide ruler, what do we get when inputting in addition to his physical tools other 'givens' such as marginal experience/competition at the collegiate level, maybe no prior coaching or training and ?????? intelligence/?????learning acuity. I could add to this but no use pissing people off any more than necessary. So we got some questions concerning 'abilities' to reach a high level of proficiency.

What about the second half on rating E and E: his willingness/desire? I say good luck with that. I won't get into it.

My trusty WR slide ruler reads "boom or bust, yet to be determined." All I can say is just keep working with him and marching him out there until something clicks, or not. Put a smile on da face, pump him up and that is what da Fishman is doing.

If you're wondering about his intelligence, he reportedly got an 8 on the wonderlic. Tavon reportedly got a 7. Both have had issues understanding the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence.