Quick didnt drop the that was just good defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Quick bashing gets old. He has the second fewest drops on the team.

Bailey has the fewest, right?

The golden child is the one who was prioritized for targets and consequently leads the team in drops.

I'll let you all figure out who that is.

The Golden Child was thrust into the starting lineup before he knew the offense and had all his drops occur in the first 5 weeks. Since then...zilch.

The Golden Child...as a rookie...got into the end-zone 8 times for the Rams thus far. The Golden Child also had 6 plays of 55+ yards.

I think I can forgive a few drops for a guy who was forced to play because we needed him when he clearly wasn't ready especially since he has clearly improved and progressed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you're wondering about his intelligence, he reportedly got an 8 on the wonderlic. Tavon reportedly got a 7. Both have had issues understanding the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Neither do I. Schotty has one of the most complex offenses in the NFL from what I've heard. It's also likely why Stedman Bailey didn't get onto the field until just a few weeks ago.

I knew an intelligent WR that barely did anything his rookie year for the same reason. I mean an intelligent, well spoken kid. People underestimate how complex it is to learn the pro game. It's not just knowing the playbook. You have know everything the QB is calling at the LOS. You have to know how to read the defense and understand your options on the play. You have to remember all these options and know exactly where you have to make the break based on the defense's alignment and the DB's positioning. And you have to be able to do all this without thinking about it...it has to be instinct.

duckhunter

Starter
If you're wondering about his intelligence, he reportedly got an 8 on the wonderlic. Tavon reportedly got a 7. Both have had issues understanding the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Thank you for the info. You've got tell me things more than once so that gives you an idea of my intelligence.

I'm not for sure whether we discussed learning disabilities or not on this board but it can be pertinent to the overall discussion of any player.

That's why I love to hear how smart a prospect is. Long, dedicated and hard work can remedy that but the desire has to be banging the upper limit. We seldom get a glimpse of this side of the pro game.

And we all would eat it up, if given the opportunity.

duckhunter

Starter
Neither do I. Schotty has one of the most complex offenses in the NFL from what I've heard. It's also likely why Stedman Bailey didn't get onto the field until just a few weeks ago.

I knew an intelligent WR that barely did anything his rookie year for the same reason. I mean an intelligent, well spoken kid. People underestimate how complex it is to learn the pro game. It's not just knowing the playbook. You have know everything the QB is calling at the LOS. You have to know how to read the defense and understand your options on the play. You have to remember all these options and know exactly where you have to make the break based on the defense's alignment and the DB's positioning. And you have to be able to do all this without thinking about it...it has to be instinct.

As I watch rookies move during a game, I can see them think, particularly, the slow thinkers. Chip this DE, stumble out to the flat, turn to see what is happening with the QB, Oh Shit-catch the friggin ball, now what, run but where.

DBs not wanting to tackle this guy. Oh hell, that goon actually caught the ball and is roaring right for me, where is a blocker so I don't have to tackle him, Ah safe, grab this blocker, LBs not wanting to wade through the trash and tackle, let's get caught in the wash. Woo, thought I was going to have tackle that goon. It will look ok on film.

I can read minds of posters as they post also. I was reading CGI's mind the other day and he was thinking of pies and cakes. He took a bite and swallowed my thought. Swear to God.

quebecramfan

Rookie
You can excuse drops when the guy is as good as AJ Green. If Quick ever becomes as good as Green, I'll happily hold my tongue if he drops 7-10 passes a year.

And to be as good as AJ Green you need to have the ball thrown at you much more than they have been throwing it to Quick. The guy really hasn't had the chance yet we are debating whether he is a bust or not because he "dropped" the only deep ball that was thrown his way the whole game. Does AJ Green catch every deep ball thrown his way?... I'm not so sure... but I'm pretty sure he gets many more chances to catch some than Quick does.

Give Quick the same amount of chances than we can compare.... until then... I find that ram fans have been very unfair towards this kid.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And to be as good as AJ Green you need to have the ball thrown at you much more than they have been throwing it to Quick. The guy really hasn't had the chance yet we are debating whether he is a bust or not because he "dropped" the only deep ball that was thrown his way the whole game. Does AJ Green catch every deep ball thrown his way?... I'm not so sure... but I'm pretty sure he gets many more chances to catch some than Quick does.

Give Quick the same amount of chances than we can compare.... until then... I find that ram fans have been very unfair towards this kid.

First of all, lets not even try to imply that Quick not being AJ Green is because of his lack of targets. That's frankly out there. Second of all, I haven't called Quick a bust. Not once in this thread. So the debate has never been about whether he is a bust or not.

And no, I don't think Quick needs the same amount of chances to be comparable. Do you think the Jaguars should give Blaine Gabbert the same amount of attempts as Peyton Manning to be able to compare the two?(and no, I'm not saying Quick is Gabbert because Gabbert actually is a proven bust at this point)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
First of all, lets not even try to imply that Quick not being AJ Green is because of his lack of targets. That's frankly out there. Second of all, I haven't called Quick a bust. Not once in this thread. So the debate has never been about whether he is a bust or not.

And no, I don't think Quick needs the same amount of chances to be comparable. Do you think the Jaguars should give Blaine Gabbert the same amount of attempts as Peyton Manning to be able to compare the two?(and no, I'm not saying Quick is Gabbert because Gabbert actually is a proven bust at this point)
Nah - I think you're right. And we also didn't take Quick in the top ten of the draft. He's not getting the targets for potentially a myriad of reasons. Maybe we passed on better receivers. THAT would be a first -eh? I may not agree with the idea that Quick should have the targets directed at the likes of Green but I also cut him a little slack because he was NEVER touted as that sure fire top five or ten pick and if anyone thought that they were fooling themselves. He was a risk and still may prove to be a good risk given what was available and what we had/have. It's really that simple for me. I see a receiver that could possibly be HUGE for us and just hope he pans out. I also don't believe for one second that it is all on him that he hasn't surpassed his status - especially in this offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah - I think you're right. And we also didn't take Quick in the top ten of the draft. He's not getting the targets for potentially a myriad of reasons. Maybe we passed on better receivers. THAT would be a first -eh? I may not agree with the idea that Quick should have the targets directed at the likes of Green but I also cut him a little slack because he was NEVER touted as that sure fire top five or ten pick and if anyone thought that they were fooling themselves. He was a risk and still may prove to be a good risk given what was available and what we had/have. It's really that simple for me. I see a receiver that could possibly be HUGE for us and just hope he pans out. I also don't believe for one second that it is all on him that he hasn't surpassed his status - especially in this offense.

As I've said, I am not ready to give up on him. Too many WRs have broken out in their 3rd or 4th years. I am just disappointed with some of the issues he's had this year.

quebecramfan

Rookie

I'm just saying give the guy a chance... Not all the greats were the best in the first few years of their career... What if Kurt Warner never had the chance to start and get some reps because Trent Green never got injured??.. Or how about Tom Brady for that matter....

Once these players were exposed to more playing time and repetitions... they performed..... No one ever knows until a player has a real chance to shine...

quebecramfan

Rookie
As I've said, I am not ready to give up on him. Too many WRs have broken out in their 3rd or 4th years. I am just disappointed with some of the issues he's had this year.
I believe we will have a beast of a WR in 2 years..... Patience is a bitch we gotta live with... but I think this guy will be a major weapon down the road...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Agreed. I know as we all do that your priority would be that he DOES succeed. Not a given but sure hope he proves all the nay sayers wrong.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
When I see the video of the catch Quick made against Baltimore it makes me think he has major skills and makes me wonder why it isn't in the game plan more. 1 or 2 targets a game just are not enough. Fisher needs to tell Schotty to throw him the damn ball 8 or 10 times a game over the next two weeks.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The Golden Child was thrust into the starting lineup before he knew the offense and had all his drops occur in the first 5 weeks. Since then...zilch.

The Golden Child...as a rookie...got into the end-zone 8 times for the Rams thus far. The Golden Child also had 6 plays of 55+ yards.

I think I can forgive a few drops for a guy who was forced to play because we needed him when he clearly wasn't ready especially since he has clearly improved and progressed.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I believe we will have a beast of a WR in 2 years..... Patience is a bitch we gotta live with... but I think this guy will be a major weapon down the road...
I like that he is working out there! Blocking well for his teammates! Hoping for a top player soon!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When I see the video of the catch Quick made against Baltimore it makes me think he has major skills and makes me wonder why it isn't in the game plan more. 1 or 2 targets a game just are not enough. Fisher needs to tell Schotty to throw him the damn ball 8 or 10 times a game over the next two weeks.

But wait... BQ doesn't fight for the ball - nor high point it - nor have any ball skills. Easy guys.... just making light.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I know. And none have come recently. Which tells you that they weren't because he can't catch the ball. Want to blame anyone? Blame the coaching staff for throwing a guy on the field that didn't fully know the offense yet and wasn't ready to play. But then again, that's what all the fans want to happen...so you have to accept the drops because rookie WRs have them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I agree, brother.

Don't force it... But use the man!