QB options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bring Mannion in. Let's see what he can do. And then cut Foles after the season. I don't want to see another snap from Foles.
jrry - is that you?

Funny. I was going to bring it up in another thread. You and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of players it seems at times. But I remember you and I being a bit lonely in not being on the Foles band wagon going back to before he became a Ram. I was going to poke fun at you that even you would admit that Mannion couldn't be any worse.

I know you probably still don't think that much of Mannion and even I didn't want to see him behind center this season but I have to say that I'm ready after what I saw today. That was inaccuracy, the consistency of which, I can't recall.

I'm not one for benching a player because he had a bad game or two but this is something that is hard to ignore. I was at the Seattle game and though Foles had some good passes, he was off most of the game in that one too. The pass to Kendricks was like a slow motion play. If Kendricks isn't open by 15 yards on that play, that pass would be easily defensed. In fact, if the DB doesn't fall down, there is no chance it is a completion.

Foles had 200 yards (exactly) for the first time since week one. There is no way in hell our receivers are that bad.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
The last couple of times Fisher gave his unconditional support... guys disappeared...

l.jpg

I want that pic for my office!

fearsomefour

Legend
Fitzpatrick is a FA after this season.
If the D can play up to its potential, which it does more often than not, and the O line grows a QB of just his quality could win a lot of games here.
A top level QB is not going to come free in FA and drafting one is a three year fix at the soonest.
Bringing in a veteran QB that has more experience than Keenum and have a real open QB competition next offseason. Foles/FA/rookie or Mannion.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Gawd, I just want an average QB ... at least average. Middle of the road.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Most, if not everyone, on this and all Rams forums will disagree with this player as an option for 2016, but I'll throw him out there anyway......Colin Kaepernick. Just let him play his game and don't try to make a traditional QB out of him.

Most will scoff, but Cam Newton is doing the same thing Kaepernick was doing before they tried to make a traditional passer out of him and the Panthers are 9-0. Newton's not completing 60% of his passes either. His best WR Benjamin is on IR. He's keeping drives going with his feet as the second leading carrier for Carolina.

And, IMO, his presence as a running threat alone would make Gurley and Austin even more deadly. Plus, his arm strength could do wonders for when they took shots down the field.

Fisher's built his team. He just doesn't have his McNair and IMO, Kaepernick could be that guy.

Jon%20Stewart%20Hiding%20Gif.gif

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry - is that you?

Funny. I was going to bring it up in another thread. You and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of players it seems at times. But I remember you and I being a bit lonely in not being on the Foles band wagon going back to before he became a Ram. I was going to poke fun at you that even you would admit that Mannion couldn't be any worse.

I know you probably still don't think that much of Mannion and even I didn't want to see him behind center this season but I have to say that I'm ready after what I saw today. That was inaccuracy, the consistency of which, I can't recall.

I'm not one for benching a player because he had a bad game or two but this is something that is hard to ignore. I was at the Seattle game and though Foles had some good passes, he was off most of the game in that one too. The pass to Kendricks was like a slow motion play. If Kendricks isn't open by 15 yards on that play, that pass would be easily defensed. In fact, if the DB doesn't fall down, there is no chance it is a completion.

Foles had 200 yards (exactly) for the first time since week one. There is no way in hell our receivers are that bad.

I'm with you completely. You're right, I don't have high hopes for Mannion. But I'd rather see if he can prove me wrong than stick with Foles. It's just painful to watch at this point. Mannion might be bad. But I don't think he can be much worse than Foles was today. Foles is just getting worse as the year goes on and I'm tired of watching it.

Hell, if Mannion is competent, we may actually learn if our WRs are worth anything. It would be nice to know. But it's hard to figure out when the QB can't put the ball in the same zip code.

fearsomefour

Legend
Fisher's built his team. He just doesn't have his McNair and IMO, Kaepernick could be that guy.
That could be because McNair was not very good most of his career in my book.
He was good at short stuff and could huck it deep, but, for years he was not good at anything thing intermediate or that required touch. At this point I would take Kap over Foles because he could at least get a first down with legs every now and then.

fearsomefour

Legend
God watching Palmer handle a pass rush....step up in the pocket, sliding and keeping his eyes downfield....Ive almost forgotten what that looks like.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most, if not everyone, on this and all Rams forums will disagree with this player as an option for 2016, but I'll throw him out there anyway......Colin Kaepernick. Just let him play his game and don't try to make a traditional QB out of him.

Most will scoff, but Cam Newton is doing the same thing Kaepernick was doing before they tried to make a traditional passer out of him and the Panthers are 9-0. Newton's not completing 60% of his passes either. His best WR Benjamin is on IR. He's keeping drives going with his feet as the second leading carrier for Carolina.

And, IMO, his presence as a running threat alone would make Gurley and Austin even more deadly. Plus, his arm strength could do wonders for when they took shots down the field.

Oh well............................:whistle:

12_funny%2Bpictures.jpg

I'd absolutely take Kaepernick and pair him with Gurley as a bridge QB. I don't want him as the QB of the future but I do prefer him to Foles. Kaepernick isn't a good QB but he's at least capable of hurting you with his legs. Foles isn't capable of hurting anyone with anything right now...except for the one drive per game where he resembles a NFL QB.(you guys know what I'm talking about...that one drive where he hits a big throw or two down the field before he plays like a bum for the rest of the game)

fearsomefour

Legend
God watching Palmer handle a pass rush....step up in the pocket, sliding and keeping his eyes downfield....Ive almost forgotten what that looks like.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'd be all for Kaep or even RG3 next year. Develop a deadly rushing attack with the QB involved and just be competent in the passing game and play good D. Foles is playing so bad I can't evaluate any of the WR's. Welker and Quick appeared to be open multiple times and he just kept missing wide to Welker and high to Quick. Also his last 4th down throw told me all I ever need to know. In short, Foles is a bum. He's our bum so I'll root for him just as hard as anyone. Playoffs will not happen with Foles at QB though. Kaep is treated like trash and he was close to a SB a couple of times. I'll take a shot with that if SF shakes him loose.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd absolutely take Kaepernick and pair him with Gurley as a bridge QB. I don't want him as the QB of the future but I do prefer him to Foles. Kaepernick isn't a good QB but he's at least capable of hurting you with his legs. Foles isn't capable of hurting anyone with anything right now...except for the one drive per game where he resembles a NFL QB.(you guys know what I'm talking about...that one drive where he hits a big throw or two down the field before he plays like a bum for the rest of the game)

Check that...I made an error. Foles isn't capable of hurting the opposition with anything. He's certainly capable of hurting the Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hell, if Mannion is competent, we may actually learn if our WRs are worth anything. It would be nice to know. But it's hard to figure out when the QB can't put the ball in the same zip code.
This is one of my biggest problems with keeping Foles in there. That and having to watch that mess. But I'd like to see if another QB can get the ball in the vicinity of our receivers and see if they can catch it. If it's Keenum - fine. But please Fish, quit trotting Foles out there. Give us at least a look at someone else. ANYONE else.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I just couldn't get over how many throws Foles made that the WR couldn't even get a finger on. It was some TJ Rubley type trash. How bad must Keenum look in practice??!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is one of my biggest problems with keeping Foles in there. That and having to watch that mess. But I'd like to see if another QB can get the ball in the vicinity of our receivers and see if they can catch it. If it's Keenum - fine. But please Fish, quit trotting Foles out there. Give us at least a look at someone else. ANYONE else.

Yep. The fact that I'm begging for Mannion should tell you how desperate I am. ;)