Props to the "Golden Assassin"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hopefully we can put the Wentz vs Goff crap to bed.
They're both going to be good in this league.

..we just happen to draft the better of the two

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Thought we and the draftniks were in agreement, Goff's ceiling was high and Wentz was a little lower. Why all the surprise?

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Evans is such a damn schadenfreude, always looking for a new addition to the failed QB club. That dude can suck it too.
He also made a bold prediction that the 9ners would beat the panthers this week. lolll

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

bnw

Pro Bowler
Very grateful for the convincing win but wonder how much was due to Luck not playing and Colts crappy defense? The Rams WRs look legit. It has been so long to be able to mean it. Goff needs more work but some of his passes were Warner/Bulgeresque which was fun to watch. Big improvement from last season.

A HAPPY MONDAY!

Ants

Starter
It matters to me in shutting up loud mouths, especially in Philly.....We have been portrayed as the chumps who picked the wrong guy, and I want it shoved up their @ss.

I live near Philly and I haven't heard any of that.
Not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't experienced it. I still like Wentz, but I'm glad that Goff is showing a lot of improvement, obviously.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thank god Fisher didn't ruin the kid .

My question to Ram fans is what is the difference if any with Jared Goff's passing ? I know the weapons & line play is there.

My point is with Olsen,Lefleur, & McVay being all QB guys is didnthey change anything??

I think they have him hold the ball when dropping back more firm & a little higher.

Anyone else see a difference from last season ?

Psycho_X

Legend
Goff looked really good. But lets also give props to that o-line. That was an impressive.... IMPRESSIVE pocket all day long. The Colts have no pass rush sure but that pocket was as clean as I've seen it since GSOT days. I don't think I saw a single guy even challenge Whitworth at all. Was like a man against boys out there. I hope he stays healthy for at least 2 more seasons after this one because he is a rock.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Very grateful for the convincing win but wonder how much was due to Luck not playing and Colts crappy defense? The Rams WRs look legit. It has been so long to be able to mean it. Goff needs more work but some of his passes were Warner/Bulgeresque which was fun to watch. Big improvement from last season.

A HAPPY MONDAY!

Not sure how much Luck could have done to change the outcome. The colts are a bad team that had been beating up on a weak division. I am stoked about the win, but I dont think the colts offer much as far as being a measuring stick to guage how good the Rams really are.

bdfitz

UDFA
Sando predicts Ram win 3 games this year and he included the Colts as a W. In his pathetic "things that surprised me" article he only cites how terrible the Colts are, worse than he thought. Can't bear to admit he misjudged Goff.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kid looked good....of course...I want more....Skins game should be like this one...their defense looked horrible yesterday.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I live near Philly and I haven't heard any of that.
Not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't experienced it. I still like Wentz, but I'm glad that Goff is showing a lot of improvement, obviously.
ffhji

Anthony Gargano and the morning crew at the Fanatic...do everytime they mention the Rams on-air

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx170911/nfl-week-1-qb-performances-continue-end

Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams[/paste:font]

After a horrifically bad rookie season, there was nowhere for Goff to go but up in 2017. The Rams doubled down with infrastructure to support their struggling 2016 first overall pick this offseason, trading for Sammy Watkins, signing Robert Woods and the aforementioned Whitworth in free agency, and hiring Washington wunderkind Sean McVay to take over as head coach.

The early returns are shockingly good. Goff had his best performance as a pro by a comfortable margin on Sunday, throwing for 306 yards and a touchdown as the Rams cruised to a 46-9 victory over a scarily hapless Indianapolis Coltsteam in the opener. The Los Angeles defense chipped in with 16 points and limited the Colts to just one drive lasting longer than five plays all game, and Goff held up his end of the bargain, posting a 61.6 Total QBR.

Even before the Rams were comfortably in front, it was clear that McVay's game plan was to make life easy for Goff. His very first pass attempt was a straightforward run-pass option (RPO), with Goff reading a linebacker and dropping in a simple slant to Watkins for 13 yards. Given that Goff's confidence appeared to be completely sapped by the end of last season, it's not a surprise that McVay started him off with a quick pass.

As the game went on, McVay's playcalling created easy completions for Goff. An end-around to Tavon Austin yielded a first down early, so the Rams faked the end-around later in the first half and Goff threw a screen to Todd Gurley for 23 yards.

Play-action was a huge differentiator for this Rams team. The running game wasn't particularly effective, even during Los Angeles's lightning-quick sprint to the lead in the first half, but that didn't matter. In 2016, Goff posted a 65.0 passer rating and a 30.3 QBR on play-action passes, which was 41st in the league. On Sunday, though, Goff was 6-of-8 for 127 yards after those same play-fakes, producing a 95.2 QBR. McVay used the play-fakes to free up the intermediate level for Goff, who found comfortable throwing lanes and looked both comfortable in the pocket and decisive in where he wanted to put the football.

Naturally, Goff wasn't perfect. Several times he dropped back on third-and-long and threw a pass to a covered, contested receiver nowhere near the sticks, although I wonder if that might have been McVay insisting that the league's most-sacked quarterback get the ball out to avoid strip sacks. He whiffed on a third-and-3 throw to an open Cooper Kupp that ended the opening drive and forced the Rams to settle for a 49-yard field goal. Kupp would later be forced to make a circus catch on a Goff overthrow despite being wide-open on a corner route, although Goff would make up for it by throwing his prettiest pass of the day to a streaking Kupp for an 18-yard score.

It's virtually impossible to evaluate Goff outside of the context in which he played. The Rams led the entire way. They faced a lethargic, self-destructive Colts team missing its best players on offense (Andrew Luck) and defense (Vontae Davis). Indy's offense went 0-for-11 on third and fourth downs. Coach Chuck Pagano couldn't even get the opponent's name right after the game. Adam Vinatieri missed an extra point. Adam Vinatieri!

At the same time, though, Goff faced a similarly-dreadful 49ers team in Week 16 last season, and he didn't look competent then. In a winnable game at home against the league's 28th-ranked defense by DVOA, Goff went 11-of-24 for just 90 yards with a touchdown off a short field, two picks and four sacks.

This Goff is unquestionably better, even allowing for how awful the Colts looked. He also gets a relatively easy slate of defenses to start the year, given that the Rams will face Washington, the 49ers and the Cowboys during the first quarter of the season. It's too early to say that Goff has turned things around and will deliver on the promise he held coming out of college, but this was the first time Goff's looked like a viable professional quarterback in the NFL. That alone is progress.