Preseason Game #1 Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pace Murray played the whole game basically, & got his butt kicked .

Well, Murphy got more playing time because of the injury to Andrew Donnal, who is number 6 offensive linemen at this juncture, but Darryl Williams played very well against the 2nd's & 3rd's and hopefully Donnal will be back next week so he can get some reps and if Jamon does not showcase any improvement, Donnal is next man up.

The second unit of the offensive line last night was:

LT...Murphy
LG...Eldrenkamp
C...Blythe
RG...Wichmann
RT....Williams

Then after Murphy had issues, they flipflopped Williams & Murphy and moved Eldrenkamp to Center and finished the game with:

LT...Williams
LG...Wichmann
C...Eldrenkamp
RG...Kozan
RT...Murphy/Dunn

Dunn not only got beat on the play, but held as well and needs to stay on the bench, Kozan did not showcase much, however, Williams is far more athletic than Murphy and Eldrenkamp, IMO, was better than Blythe and I would like to see him against the number two's next week at Center.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My buddy said the same. They touch him and he goes down. But the back ups were doing better.
It's preseason Gurley gets hurt by trying to gain an extra 2 yards is it really worth it. Gurley is a back that builds momentum the more he carries the ball you can't expect much when he only have 4 carries and 2 of them got blown up before he even got the snap

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We're doomed. :baghead:

We'll see? I was not impressed after the Rams drafted Donnal, thought it was a reach and when he played his first game at LG, it was a disaster. However, later in 2015, he started against the Ravens at RT and was having a good game before his injury and last season surprised especially when he was called upon to play LT against the Saints.

Overall, I understand they wanted Havenstein at RG because they thought he got a better push in the run game, but in the Charger scrimmage, Brown struggled protecting the Quarterback in pass protection and that is why they went back to Havenstein at RT and thought having Brown play guard in what he was more familiar with, he would play well, but Brown did fine in pass protection against the Cowboys, but was an epic fail with his run blocking.

Again, I'm not sure about Donnal's injury, but I like to see him get some reps on the right side teamed with Havenstein before I jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Our first-unit run blocking is still bad. I hope we see improvement. Brown needs to improve at RG.
Brown looks useless...Maybe the switching has him confused.

Pace Murphy had a really rough day.
He looked worse than Brown...thought that was impossible.

I don't see Nelson Spruce making the team. He's just too limited of an athlete. I love his toughness and reliability, but he just isn't getting much separation or creating after the catch.
Looked like a smaller, slower TE in the offense. Looks like it would take him half a day to get 14 yards downfield on plays...man he's slow.
Jamon Brown is a dumpsterfire in the run game. Kromer may have made a mistake not urging McVay to KEEP Greg Robinson
fixed it for ya Loyal!

Offensive Line, well, first unit Jamon Brown is very slow off the ball and needs to get better because Havenstein should stay at RT for pass protection. The ability to run the ball to the right was non existent with the first unit. Darryl Williams looked like the 2015 version and outplayed Pace Murphy, who looked liked his feet were in cement...Jake Eldrenkamp over Austin Blythe by leaps in bounds in this first contest and please send Michael Dunn back to Maryland.
I need to watch the game again...too much chatter last night. I don't remember Williams playing...only remember Blythe from...was he the one that snapped the ball over Mannion's head?

RB Justin Williams
Justin DAVIS....he did look kinda explosive...Cowboys didn't wanna tackle him.....

Offense: Brown looked terrible at RG. Murphy had a bad game too. OL depth issues were very apparent.
You saw it too??? LOL

You guys may be right about Spruce. He did not show any athleticism in this game
Just too slow...

Havenstein's pass blocking was text book solid if anyone cares to go back and watch him play by play.
I will...I think we do need to try him at guard....and can we see if we can grab that dude the Jags just cut? Move him to RT...Move Havenstein to RG

Can someone please explain to me how Woods fumbles on the 3 yd line into the end zone and Kupp falls on it for a TD. Isn't that the Stabler rule??????
only in the last 2 minutes of each half...

I wanna watch it again...but Defense looked dominant. Offense still has a lot of work...The offensive rookies looked pretty good. Hemingway looked better that Higbee....Woods looked nervous and like cut bait...Jamon Brown...see, this is why you need PADS on LINEMEN before you make rash decisions like cutting players or trading them for 7th rounders. Geez! Feel me @OldSchool ?????

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll see? I was not impressed after the Rams drafted Donnal, thought it was a reach and when he played his first game at LG, it was a disaster. However, later in 2015, he started against the Ravens at RT and was having a good game before his injury and last season surprised especially when he was called upon to play LT against the Saints.

Overall, I understand they wanted Havenstein at RG because they thought he got a better push in the run game, but in the Charger scrimmage, Brown struggled protecting the Quarterback in pass protection and that is why they went back to Havenstein at RT and thought having Brown play guard in what he was more familiar with, he would play well, but Brown did fine in pass protection against the Cowboys, but was an epic fail with his run blocking.

Again, I'm not sure about Donnal's injury, but I like to see him get some reps on the right side teamed with Havenstein before I jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge.
I have never been impressed with Donnal. He has always seemed weak and ineffectual against NFL competition and I would have cut him LAST year, let alone starting him now. Hope he proves me wrong.

nighttrain

Legend
It's a small sample size, but Gurley looked like last season. You'd think he'd come out with some fire in his belly and truck someone (bad blocking or not) ... but... nope.

I really hope Hollywood/ L.A. hasn't got to his head. Hopefully next game we get to see things open up a bit more.
Gurley was disappointing in this game, kid from SC, Justin Smith, was ballin. has to clean up his protection of football and did . Saw him working with Gurley on sidelines
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brown looks useless...Maybe the switching has him confused.

He looked worse than Brown...thought that was impossible.

Looked like a smaller, slower TE in the offense. Looks like it would take him half a day to get 14 yards downfield on plays...man he's slow.
fixed it for ya Loyal!

I need to watch the game again...too much chatter last night. I don't remember Williams playing...only remember Blythe from...was he the one that snapped the ball over Mannion's head?

Justin DAVIS....he did look kinda explosive...Cowboys didn't wanna tackle him.....

You saw it too??? LOL

Just too slow...

I will...I think we do need to try him at guard....and can we see if we can grab that dude the Jags just cut? Move him to RT...Move Havenstein to RG

only in the last 2 minutes of each half...

I wanna watch it again...but Defense looked dominant. Offense still has a lot of work...The offensive rookies looked pretty good. Hemingway looked better that Higbee....Woods looked nervous and like cut bait...Jamon Brown...see, this is why you need PADS on LINEMEN before you make rash decisions like cutting players or trading them for 7th rounders. Geez! Feel me @OldSchool ?????
you dirty rotten stinkin bastid! :coach:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just had a thought. What if Austin Blythe was inserted at RG? He looked great in the run game and opened up holes all day.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why am I feeling you? That's rude and inconsiderate to put my hands on you and feel anything! If you're referring to whether we should have traded GRob or not the true test will be over the next few weeks. Detroit plays in a couple hours for the first time this fall.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Kupp does look great. I'm excited to see all of the starters on O. It's going to be a major change from last season, scheme and talent wise.

yea I remember fishers preseasons everyone would say it's preseason vanilla we will open it up in the real season but all fisher had was vanilla. it seems like last night was very vanilla (not one deep pass ) but i'm sure mcvay has some chocolate and strawberry in his cooler. can't wait

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If you're referring to whether we should have traded GRob or not the true test will be over the next few weeks. Detroit plays in a couple hours for the first time this fall.
No way he looks worse than Brown....and Pace Murphy....dudes are about to get someone killed out there.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Too many balls on the ground. Dropped passes and fumbles. Woods was disappointing. Did I mention fumbles? Davis can run but can't hold onto the ball. Not sure he can fix that as he now has film putting the ball on the ground. His ball security, or lack thereof, will be targeted heavily. Did I mention fumbles? McRoberts did nothing to help himself. Spruce just catches the ball, period. A couple of the 3rd down routes we're too short but I don't know if that's on Spruce or the play's design. Have I mentioned fumbles? The O-line needs a lot of work. At times it looked as if they only had four guys on the line. Brown is going to play himself out of a job. There's a lot to be excited about on the defensive side. I'd like to have seen some sacks but they were getting some heat on the QBs. They drew more holding flags than the Cowboys D-line. I guess that's a compliment towards the Rams' O-line... The areas of concern are still on offense. Catching the ball. Holding on to the ball. O-line... Did I mention the FREAKIN' fumbles???

TexasRam

Legend
Well, here are your PFF takes.

Interesting tweet about Kupp's ability to line up everywhere.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/896565923917725697

And they quickly put up their "Re-Focused" article, where they list their top 5 players from each team. Biggest shock is Austin Blythe, who was praised for his run blocking in this game. Perhaps a player to watch for those who re-watch this game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-los-angeles-rams-13-dallas-cowboys-10

I'll have to go back and watch Blythe if this is the case.

If Blythe had a solid game then maybe he needs to get a look at first team RG.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way he looks worse than Brown....and Pace Murphy....dudes are about to get someone killed out there.
I'll tell you one area where we know they already looked better than GRob. How many penalties did those two have? Oh zero? Huh imagine that.

No way he looks worse than Brown....and Pace Murphy.

GRob just posted "Hold my beer" on twitter not sure what that means :D

nighttrain

Legend
I'll have to go back and watch Blythe if this is the case.

If Blythe had a solid game then maybe he needs to get a look at first team RG.
Blythe could be our savior at right guard, Brown needs to pick it up, or be gone.
train

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You seem pretty critical. I did not see the game, but checked in and at one point he was 11/13 which to me is pretty impressive regardless of the mitigating factors. Are you determined to be unhappy with Mannion or are you judging him in this game accurately and fairly?
To me he is the same Mannion he's always been. He's just so slow and plodding in everything he does. His release is awkward and typical, he checks down more often then not and ends up with a woeful ypc. 18 comp for only 144 yards. Sure there were a couple of drops but I'm just tired of trying to come up with excuses for the guy.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I gotta say that I would like to see Gurley dole out more punishment. I kind of agree that he's not running with the same violence right now. Hopefully, that changes come regular season.

It does seem that way a bit. But I will say the first run Brown got blown up and his man was 3 yards in the backfield before Gurley had a chance. Second run Higbee wiffs his block and Havenstein doesn't hold his. Both times Gurley had no chance. The only other one he gained about 5 to the right side.
I mean if you look at the holes Justin Davis had it's not even the same conversation.
Now if Gurley continues this the rest of the preseason we might have a concern.
I do remember the Charger scrimmage and McVay said he was running with violence so we'll see..