Preseason Game #1 Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just my two cents:
  • Our defense looks amazing. Wade is incredible at what he does. Our first two units were playing fast and loose. They tackled well and suffocated Dallas's offense. Additionally, our DL and LBs were giving Dallas's OL problems. Dallas was missing Tyron Smith, but they had the rest of their top OLs out there IIRC. It's very promising to see our DL and LBs do that without Donald and Quinn.(and very little Barwin and Brockers)
  • The offense is a work in progress. Our starting offense looked bad on the first drive and great on the second-chance opportunity. There's not a lot we can evaluate of Goff because he threw so few passes. I liked what I saw in the little we had.
  • Our first-unit run blocking is still bad. I hope we see improvement. Brown needs to improve at RG.
  • Our first-unit OL did pass protect well. Whitworth is a rock.
  • Gerald Everett and Cooper Kupp both were excellent. Everett is the YAC threat that he was billed as in the draft. Kupp is polished and a great football player. He'll have some inconsistencies as a rookie, but he's going to make an impact this year.
  • Pharoh Cooper also had himself a nice day.
  • We gotta work with our HBs, WRs, and TEs on protecting the ball. There were way too many balls coughed up today.
  • Justin Davis ran the ball well (although, he received quality blocking). However, he coughed the ball up twice and was a disaster in pass protection. He has talent, but he's gotta get those issues figured out quickly.
  • Pace Murphy had a really rough day.
  • Sean Mannion played well after a rocky start.
  • I don't see Nelson Spruce making the team. He's just too limited of an athlete. I love his toughness and reliability, but he just isn't getting much separation or creating after the catch.
That's all I got. I didn't watch the defense as close as the offense, so I can't speak as much to how individual defenders did. I can say that I liked what I saw from NRC and Morgan Fox. Feel free to add your own observations as I'm sure I missed something.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I understand the kudos on Mannion
Against Dallas back ups he could barely get the team inside the red zone once. And Justin Davis 32 yard run got the first fg
I can't be enthusiastic for a guy who can only muster 140 yards in 3+quarters of play

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll add one observation and that's our defensive rookies, those on the front 7, Price, Smart and Bryant all showed very well.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I understand the kudos on Mannion
Against Dallas back ups he could barely get the team inside the red zone once. And Justin Davis 32 yard run got the first fg
I can't be enthusiastic for a guy who can only muster 140 yards in 3+quarters of play

What was the offensive line Mannion played with. He also had a couple drives stalled by drops and fumbles. I was watching how the ball came out of his hand and how he handled pressure. This was the most Mannion has ever played and this is the cowboys 2nd preseason game which means their backups actually have game time experience

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What was the offensive line Mannion played with. He also had a couple drives stalled by drops and fumbles. I was watching how the ball came out of his hand and how he handled pressure. This was the most Mannion has ever played and this is the cowboys 3md preseason game which means their backups actually have game time experience
6 points in 3+ quarter. He was slow and couldn't get out of the way on a sack. I guess our qb play has been so poor for the last decade that we've lowered the bar.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
6 points in 3+ quarter. He was slow and couldn't get out of the way on a sack. I guess our qb play has been so poor for the last decade that we've lowered the bar.
He dodged more sacks then he took, no matter what he does though I understand it will never be good enough

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The game looked a lot like one of the Rams' practices tbh. Defense looks legit. Offense is hit and miss.

I'll take it though. Anyone notice just how open Kupp was on that first catch? I am confident this offense will build and build as the preseason and season progresses, and get better and better.

One down with good health and 3 to go.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate to not be totally logical, but this Ram's team is different, even with all of the mistakes. I am almost blown away about how poised Cooper Kupp was in his first NFL experience. Although he fumbled once and missed one pass, he is every bit of the route runner he was billed as. He played better than Robert Wood today (small sample size). Everett is a playmaker and may be the best TE on the team right now.

Jamon Brown is a dumpsterfire in the run game. Kromer may have made a mistake not urging McVay to pick an Olineman in this last Draft. It's hard to judge Havenstein as easily, because it seemed like Brown was getting owned at all times. Goff was accurate, but there were drops and he wasn't given an opportunity to get into any sort of rhythm.....

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Kupp, whitworth, smart, Eldrenkamp, wichmann, price and Jordan had good games.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

It wasnt all on Mannion, and I dont think anyone said he had a great game. But he did show improvement and IMO, and Marshalls, he earned an opportunity to get some reps with more of the 1s next week just to see what we have in him. Can he be a dependable #2 QB or do they need to think about keeping Orlovsky on the 53.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It wasnt all on Mannion, and I dont think anyone said he had a great game. But he did show improvement and IMO, and Marshalls, he earned an opportunity to get some reps with more of the 1s next week just to see what we have in him. Can he be a dependable #2 QB or do they need to think about keeping Orlovsky on the 53.
Mannion is our #2 he's in no danger from Safety Dan. He's not spectacular but he's a viable backup.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Minimal penalties, no injuries. Good defense. Gotta work on ball security and OL stuff.
Justin Davis could be a potential gem. Joyner and Longacre had nice plays.
I understand why the staff decided to trade EJ. We seemed to hold up there. At least in the pre-season.
We beat the cowboys. Always nice.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I enjoyed seeing the defense get pressure without risky blitz schemes. We'll see how it develops further in the preseason.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper Kupp was by far the best offensive player on the team tonight.
Looks like we really may have found something

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
And back on topic lol, the biggest improvement I saw was the reduction in penalties.

Goff and Mannion both showed improvement from last year.

The D was impressive and showed good depth especially the front 7.

No more letting the other team move the ball up and down the field, WP uses the preseason to practice what will be done in the regular season. Not to see how well guys chase the ball carrier after letting them catch uncontested balls.

Kupp, cannot say enough about this kid. Just a baller!

Cant wait to see how they do after giving coach McVay plenty of film to teach better ball security and to see if Kroemer can get JB to be the mauling run blocker he was supposed to be when drafted. This D is gonna be fun to watch and in time the O will be also.

Rambo

UDFA
TOP TEN, preseason game 1
10. Watkins-I liked his interview.
9. Shakier Ryan- solid, looks like he could break one any moment.
8. Pharoh Cooper- some good catches
7. Mannion
6. Kupp
5. McVay- I like that he took Goff out early.
4. Whole Defense (standouts: Smart, Longacre)
3. Goff
2. Justin Davis-but needs to hold onto the ball.
1. Everett