Preseason Game #1 Observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
You guys may be right about Spruce. He did not show any athleticism in this game and Cooper definitely did. Cooper probably is locking himself a spot.

Looks like:
Kupp
Woods
Watkins
Austin
Cooper
Reynolds

Another observation. Does Gurley lack vision or confidence in his burst? It seemed like he had a play on the second series when we were around the 10 yard line where he had a 1 on 1 to the outside if he wanted to race to the sideline on the right side. Instead Gurley cuts it inside and gets crunched between two guys for no gain. Either he didn't have confidence in his speed or he didn't see the angle. It is concerning to me. Though the Brown and Higbee blocking issue are bigger at the moment.

Also:

Robey-Coleman got abused by old man McFaddens straight arm for a huge gain. I hope that was an anomaly, it is preseason.

Michael Jordan was in great position the whole night, even before the great interception grab that was called back.

Havenstein's pass blocking was text book solid if anyone cares to go back and watch him play by play.

Pace Murphy- looks like he spent the offseason at the Grob school of pass blocking.

Mcvay and co. May have just nailed the Kupp and Everett picks. Those dudes play so fast, aware and athletic.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
QB
J. Goff:
Looked good but only had 4 throws so it's impossible to evaluate him.

S. Mannion: He proved we have a very solid backup.

D. Orlovsky: This guy has no place in the NFL.

RB
T. Gurley:
He made a nice play in the passing game but his running was reminiscent of last season (largely because our O-line couldn't block)

J. Davis: He ran like our best RB aside from the fumbling and fumbling gets you cut.

M. Brown: Quitely averaged 5 yards per carry.

OL
A. Whitworth: The bright spot on the O-line for sure.

J. Brown: Trash! He got beat more times than I could count.

R. Havenstein: Faired ok in pass protection but wasn't getting push in the running game.

A. Blythe: Had trouble finding someone to block multiple times and had that horrible high snap.

WR
C. Kupp:
Seemed like a veteran WR. He had a drop but made a few quality plays including diving on the ball for a TD.

N. Spruce: He caught absolutely everything but it was all short yardage and did very little after the catch.

P. Cooper: Made some catches down the field and got open. He looks like he is getting it.

P. McRoberts: Had a drop, slipped in a route, and didn't separate much. His best play was the tackle on the called back fumble from Hemingway.

R. Woods: Ugly debute. He dropped Goff's catchable first pass and then fumbled the slant route pass that luckily Kupp was able to dive on.

TE
G. Everett:
He impressed. He had one drop but made people miss on a couple of nice grabs.

T. Higbee: Most of his work came as a blocker. He struggled to get open and will probably fall behind Everett on the depth chart if Everett can show he can block.

T. Hemingway: He definitely has the tools to get separation but didn't hold his blocks. Great route runner though. Had the one third down drop but it was a tough catch.

DL
E. Westbrooks:
He was getting some good penetration. He probably should have had at least one sack.

T. Smart: Played excellent. He had a motor! He held his own on the interior, deflected a pass, and made the play on the fumble recovery late in the game.

L. Trinca-Pasat: Not bad. The QB knew he was there.

M. Longacre: He made some lineman look like silly tonight. Showed great pass rush ability and tackled well.

M. Fox: Bullied the blockers and got pressure. Played well against the run too.

M. Purcell: Clogged the middle pretty well. He even chased down a receiver to the sideline.

LB
C.Thompson:
What a pleasant surprise! He was all over the field! He was involved in several tackles, forced a fumble and even got a sack! Wow!

J. Forrest: No mistakes. He made a great play on ST.

F. Orimolade: Yikes. The most memorable play he had was when he got absolutely toasted by the TE up the seam for a TD.

B. Hager: Not physically imposing but technically sound. Made some good tackles and assisted in a pass block.

A. Ogletree: Made one tackle and forced a 3 & out for Dallas on their first possession.

C. Littleton: He was eager to hit in run support. Not so quick in coverage.

E. Price: He spent a lot of time chasing plays but never seemed to be where he should have been.

DB
M. Christian:
Heavy hitter and flies to the ball. Just needs to learn to wrap up on tackles.

K. Peterson: He got picked on a lot. He can tackle but he can't cover well at all.

C. Davis: Very quick tonight. Didn't let anyone behind him and even got involved at SS.

T. Hill: He was hit and miss. He slipped on one play and gave up a 1st down. He probably showed enough to deserve more attention though.

L. Joyner: Limited action but looked like he has embraced his new role. He made the exceptional tackle to prevent the 1st down on the Cowboy's first drive.

B. Countess: Meh. He was involved. That's all I can say.

J.Johnson: Hardly knew he was there. He made one tackle.

N. Rodney-Coleman: He did well in coverage but had questionable tackling. He is undersized and got man-handled by McFadden. I saw him reluctant to make a hit on a couple occasions.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
For me I thought Longacre and Fox played great on the defense. At times I would say they dominated.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I'm not gonna go too in depth with what I saw. Looks like we all saw the same thing tonight.

All I can say is I'm mostly pleased with how the first game went. There weren't any injuries tonight and there's a lot of stuff that can easily be fixed before the season starts. I'm interested to see what changes and improvements McVay will make for our game at Oakland.

It was an ugly but nice win tonight for the new coaching staff. Just starting the year off with a meaningless "W" feels like a step in the right direction.

Go Rams!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QB
J. Goff:
Looked good but only had 4 throws so it's impossible to evaluate him.

S. Mannion: He proved we have a very solid backup.

D. Orlovsky: This guy has no place in the NFL.

RB
T. Gurley:
He made a nice play in the passing game but his running was reminiscent of last season (largely because our O-line couldn't block)

J. Davis: He ran like our best RB aside from the fumbling and fumbling gets you cut.

M. Brown: Quitely averaged 5 yards per carry.

OL
A. Whitworth: The bright spot on the O-line for sure.

J. Brown: Trash! He got beat more times than I could count.

R. Havenstein: Faired ok in pass protection but wasn't getting push in the running game.

A. Blythe: Had trouble finding someone to block multiple times and had that horrible high snap.

WR
C. Kupp:
Seemed like a veteran WR. He had a drop but made a few quality plays including diving on the ball for a TD.

N. Spruce: He caught absolutely everything but it was all short yardage and did very little after the catch.

P. Cooper: Made some catches down the field and got open. He looks like he is getting it.

P. McRoberts: Had a drop, slipped in a route, and didn't separate much. His best play was the tackle on the called back fumble from Hemingway.

R. Woods: Ugly debute. He dropped Goff's catchable first pass and then fumbled the slant route pass that luckily Kupp was able to dive on.

TE
G. Everett:
He impressed. He had one drop but made people miss on a couple of nice grabs.

T. Higbee: Most of his work came as a blocker. He struggled to get open and will probably fall behind Everett on the depth chart if Everett can show he can block.

T. Hemingway: He definitely has the tools to get separation but didn't hold his blocks. Great route runner though. Had the one third down drop but it was a tough catch.

DL
E. Westbrooks:
He was getting some good penetration. He probably should have had at least one sack.

T. Smart: Played excellent. He had a motor! He held his own on the interior, deflected a pass, and made the play on the fumble recovery late in the game.

L. Trinca-Pasat: Not bad. The QB knew he was there.

M. Longacre: He made some lineman look like silly tonight. Showed great pass rush ability and tackled well.

M. Fox: Bullied the blockers and got pressure. Played well against the run too.

M. Purcell: Clogged the middle pretty well. He even chased down a receiver to the sideline.

LB
C.Thompson:
What a pleasant surprise! He was all over the field! He was involved in several tackles, forced a fumble and even got a sack! Wow!

J. Forrest: No mistakes. He made a great play on ST.

F. Orimolade: Yikes. The most memorable play he had was when he got absolutely toasted by the TE up the seam for a TD.

B. Hager: Not physically imposing but technically sound. Made some good tackles and assisted in a pass block.

A. Ogletree: Made one tackle and forced a 3 & out for Dallas on their first possession.

C. Littleton: He was eager to hit in run support. Not so quick in coverage.

E. Price: He spent a lot of time chasing plays but never seemed to be where he should have been.

DB
M. Christian:
Heavy hitter and flies to the ball. Just needs to learn to wrap up on tackles.

K. Peterson: He got picked on a lot. He can tackle but he can't cover well at all.

C. Davis: Very quick tonight. Didn't let anyone behind him and even got involved at SS.

T. Hill: He was hit and miss. He slipped on one play and gave up a 1st down. He probably showed enough to deserve more attention though.

L. Joyner: Limited action but looked like he has embraced his new role. He made the exceptional tackle to prevent the 1st down on the Cowboy's first drive.

B. Countess: Meh. He was involved. That's all I can say.

J.Johnson: Hardly knew he was there. He made one tackle.

N. Rodney-Coleman: He did well in coverage but had questionable tackling. He is undersized and got man-handled by McFadden. I saw him reluctant to make a hit on a couple occasions.
Good write up I agree about Countess didn't even know he was playing but I guess that's a good thing. I like him though

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also:

Robey-Coleman got abused by old man McFaddens straight arm for a huge gain. I hope that was an anomaly, it is preseason.

It was a 180 pound CB having to take a tough angle against a 215 pound HB. That's pretty difficult in a 1-on-1 situation.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Just got back from the game. Can someone please explain to me how Woods fumbles on the 3 yd line into the end zone and Kupp falls on it for a TD. Isn't that the Stabler rule??????

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just got back from the game. Can someone please explain to me how Woods fumbles on the 3 yd line into the end zone and Kupp falls on it for a TD. Isn't that the Stabler rule??????
The defender hit the ball with his helmet and it popped out into the end zone.

TexasRam

Legend
It was a 180 pound CB having to take a tough angle against a 215 pound HB. That's pretty difficult in a 1-on-1 situation.

I've seen the midget Joyner make that play, you have to sell out on the legs and go real hard and low. Even if you don't make the tackle your force the adjustment so other defenders
Have time to help.

I'm probably spoiled by Jenkins who mastered the technique
Vs bigger players.

If Coleman provides solid coverage I'm not going to knock it as long as it's not too common.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
It's a small sample size, but Gurley looked like last season. You'd think he'd come out with some fire in his belly and truck someone (bad blocking or not) ... but... nope.

I really hope Hollywood/ L.A. hasn't got to his head. Hopefully next game we get to see things open up a bit more.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
It's a small sample size, but Gurley looked like last season. You'd think he'd come out with some fire in his belly and truck someone (bad blocking or not) ... but... nope.

I really hope Hollywood/ L.A. hasn't got to his head. Hopefully next game we get to see things open up a bit more.

My buddy said the same. They touch him and he goes down. But the back ups were doing better.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
This game was much better than the showing from last year's Cowboys preseason match-up.

Offense:
Goff looked good in VERY limited time. That said, it was still nice to see. Mannion handled the game well and even hung in under pressure on and delivered (the Hemmingway drop). He had a similar stat line to Hackenburg for the Jets. Unlike Hack, he was actually able to lead his team to some scores. That said, the delay of game he had was inexcusable. Orlovsky was as expected.

Kupp showed up and made plays. Spruce had 6 for 30, but they were like empty calories. Maybe he shows some more in the future, but the talent on the corps may have passed him. Pharoh Cooper rose from the grave some prematurely dug for him and made some impressive plays. I was sad to see Shakeir Ryan not get more involved in the passing game, because when he had space to return, he looked incredibly shifty and had a good burst to him. Would love to see more out of him.

Everett looked as elusive as advertised and impressed me. Higbee was non-existent in the passing game, and Hemmingway flashed despite that drop/fumble. In his defense, it was a bit tipped, but still should have been caught.

Liked what I saw out of Whitworth, and Big Rob at the tackle spots, but Jamon Brown being abused in the run game hurt. This team is gonna need to prowl waivers come cut downs. Pace had a rough outing as well and that Blythe high snap shouldn't happen. Would like to re-watch and focus more on some of the guys, especially Eldernkamp.

Defense:

Wade Phillips and his defense were impressive through out. There were a couple glitches with DBs tackling and our UDFA Ivy League backer getting beat by a 6ft 8in freak of nature, but outside of that, the discipline they showed was a breath of fresh air compared to GW's defenses. No more blowing 3rd and long situations. This defense knows where the sticks are, and they are not letting you convert easily.

On the line, I thought there was a great showing of depth that some may have been worried about after the Hayes trade, the Easely injury, and having no AD. I thought Longacre and Westbrook really brought it tonight on a consistent basis. Would like to re-watch and focus more on Fox as well. Smart had some nice plays for a rookie filling in and Omarius Bryant looked like he could be a competent back up for Brockers. He made flashes that Purcell just didn't.

The linebackers were pretty good for the most part from what I can remember. Ejuan Price brought consistent pressure when he got to pin his ears back. He was really the big factor on that Carlos Thompson sack and fumble. Orimolade got beat on the TD, but he really drew a tough assignment on that one, and just needed to make a better play on the ball. There were a lot of small contributions from a lot of different guys here, like Forrest covering on ST and getting a fumble recovery, or Kevin Davis making the final tackle in front of the sticks, or Bryce Hager just being around the ball a lot. It took a village today and the LB corps played it's part.

The secondary did its part. There wasn't much the Cowboys could complete or even attempt down field. Granted McCown and Kellen Moore don't make you fear the deep ball, but still. I thought Robey-Coleman was all over his man in coverage. I will forgive the stiff arm by DMC on him due to the shear size difference. At least he gave it an attempt. Need to just sweep the leg little man. Troy Hill was up and down from what I could tell. The big standout here is Michael Jordan. He was in good position most of the day and that near interception was a fantastic play on the ball. Of course it was a terrible decision by Luke McCown, but still, a great effort on that play and a near pick that would have sealed the game on a very sweet note.

Special Teams:

Not much to say about the starting kicker and punter here. We know what we have.

The coverage was quite good. I think the Cowboys got one decent punt return all game. The penalties are a bit worrying. There were a couple of holding calls on the Rams that need to be cleaned up. Then of course there was an obscene illegal formation call on that punt near the 2 min warning in the 4th quarter. The Cowboys offense and Rams defense were both on the field and almost lined up when the refs call an illegal formation that they should have called as soon as the ball was snapped. It takes away a fantastic roll on a Coons punt that would have pinned the Cowboys just inside their own 10. Instead, five yards back and a re-kick. The Cowboys end up getting about 12-15 extra yards by the end of this. I just found it ridiculous that it took that long for that call to come in, but I guess it didn't matter much in the end and the refs are still just in preseason form as well.

I mentioned Shakeir Ryan earlier and I want to reiterate here how impressed I was with him in the punt return game. Maybe I'm just hyped too much on him and someone can cross check me on this, but I thought he was excellent. Good instincts when it came to if he should call for a fair catch or not, no bobbling of the ball, and when he did get a chance to return, it felt electric, for lack of a better term. Maybe it felt like static electricity given that he didn't break a huge one, but I felt despite not going all the way on any of his chances, he really seemed to maximize what he could have gotten. He didn't back pedal and over do it on going side to side. He wasn't trying too hard like some guys, especially in preseason, do. It just seemed natural to him. He was decisive and made very quick movements. It felt like his ability to quickly change direction, coupled with his speed, could really be something if he gets a good lane.

Also, I want to give a shout out to Travis Coons. This may be the best "Camp Leg" this team has brought on in recent memory. I think he deserves a starting job in this league and hopefully a kicker needy team might trade some late draft capital for him. The issue with him has always been his power, but his kickoffs were deep this game so maybe that's past him. I would like the Rams to show case him on a longer (50+) FG attempt in a later preseason game. I thought it was weird he was asked to punt, but I thought he did admirably. No he won't have any GMs knocking on his door asking him to do it, but I have seen much worse out of place kickers. I think back to a semi-recent Bengals and Steelers game, and Kevin Huber of the Bengals got knocked out of the game so their kicker had to take over. It cost the Bengals field position big time as their kicker consistently hit sub 40 yard kicks. Coons was at least able to put the ball in a decent spot and get friendly bounces to help him out. Even without the bounces, most of his punts were at least 40 yards. Not bad given the circumstances.

Anyway, I came away from this game mostly satisfied and glad that there didn't seem to be any major injuries. On to the next one.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My buddy said the same. They touch him and he goes down. But the back ups were doing better.
Don't think so. Gurley faced a couple of possessions where he was hit almost as soon as he touched the ball. On one or two others he faced DE's and LBErs that had tracked him and met himsimulateously at the LOS. He caught a pass fo 9 yards, and had a run for 4 yards. Dallas' main gameplay was to stop him, and McVay did not help his cause because most if not all of the run attempts were on the weak right side of the Oline. Your buddy is oversimplifying the situation.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Don't think so. Gurley faced a couple of possessions where he was hit almost as soon as he touched the ball. On one or two others he faced DE's and LBErs that had tracked him and met himsimulateously at the LOS. He caught a pass fo 9 yards, and had a run for 4 yards. Dallas' main gameplay was to stop him, and McVay did not help his cause because most if not all of the run attempts were on the weak right side of the Oline. Your buddy is oversimplifying the situation.

Gurleys first year he ran with conviction. He was ruthless with his power. Not so much. I may be wrong but something is off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen the midget Joyner make that play, you have to sell out on the legs and go real hard and low. Even if you don't make the tackle your force the adjustment so other defenders
Have time to help.

I'm probably spoiled by Jenkins who mastered the technique
Vs bigger players.

If Coleman provides solid coverage I'm not going to knock it as long as it's not too common.

Joyner is a rare specimen. I've seen him pick up a 260 pound TE and body-slam him into the turf. Joyner is scary strong and physical for any DB (much less someone his size). That's why he can play safety at 5'8" 185.

NRC was coming in to go low, but McFadden caught him with a stiff-arm before he could. He also couldn't force an adjustment because he was the only guy on that side of the field who could get to McFadden before the first down. It's why he took an angle to pin McFadden against the sideline, but that made it difficult for him to make the tackle. It did allow the next guy to push McFadden out shortly afterwards. He seemed to do it everything right. He just got manhandled by a bigger, stronger man.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurleys first year he ran with conviction. He was ruthless with his power. Not so much. I may be wrong but something is off.
The box wasn't stacked against him the first year, which you remember that he didn't do that well at the end of 2015 because DC's started game planning him/stacking the box. Our offense still hasn't struck fear into defenses with a passing game, which when we do willfree Gurley.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta say that I would like to see Gurley dole out more punishment. I kind of agree that he's not running with the same violence right now. Hopefully, that changes come regular season.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Oh man, I forgot about Justin Davis somehow.

Sure it has been said a lot before, but while his running ability is impressive, everything else seems like it needs work.

He absolutely can not block at this point in time and that ball security was just stupid bad.

That said, he could be a strong contender for a PS spot.

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I am SLIGHTLY (note the bold before people jump on me) concerned about Gurley based on more than this preseason game. What worries me is if there isn't a clear cut crease where he can use his unreal athleticism to get out in the open field he isn't going to make alot happen by running through people or making them miss. I would like to see more one on one wins against LBs and especially DBs and hopefully we will see that over the course of full games when gets more touches