Predictions for 2nd half of the season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You have to remember though - we only struggle against elite defenses. Niners and Dolphins are really the only two that made Goff look this way.

Cards have some good defensive numbers, but not elite and they don't have the personnel to stop us. Same for Seattle

The question in those games will be how good does our defense play, but we should be able to at least win 3/5 division games remaining

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Really tough to predict due to the offense. Will McVay finally take a look at what Flores has done to him for the 2nd time in two years and come up with a solution? Because you know more teams are going to do that. Please, no more empty sets ... and please add a draw play or two.

On D I have plenty of confidence, even against the good offenses the Rams will face. Coming out of the bye we get back Fuller, Jalen should be ready to go, and now we'll have A'Shawn Robinson on the DL helping to firm up the run game. They've been playing at a very high level lately, and they are just now getting used to the new scheme.

If McVay can get some consistency out of the offense, we'll be fine. If not, it's going to be a roller coaster with a lot of ups and downs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We're 21st in scoring. 16th in passer rating. 13th in passing yards. 14th in yards per rush (though in DVoA and SR Hendy is top 5). 10th in third down conversion rate. So we are quite mediocre on offense sadly and that may not change even if they do what some of us want (for myself I want more of Akers and Jefferson).

So in spite of an improved line why are we here? Is it the loss of Cooks? The fact we keep needing to rotate backs? The QB? Our pass catchers overall not playing up to snuff? Mix of all the above?

Secondly McVay may need to accept that we're a defensive team now. He may need to modify his aggression and do what so many here want him to do which is mash and play field position more. But if he goes that route will the special teams allow for it? We have the punter but lack the kicker and our teams overall have been sad (FO doesn't have their rankings up for this past week yet but we were 25th going into that game and I'm sure we're lower now).

And I hate to bring this up but I feel like our offense has not been the same since the Super Bowl. The entirety of 2019 was some hot garbage and we're still struggling in many ways to include shit now like guys lining up wrong and basic mistakes.

I consider myself to lean on the optimistic side as a fan but there are a lot of indicators to be concerned with. That said, November's sched is going to clear some shit up so I'm actually looking forward to how the Rams respond.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're 21st in scoring. 16th in passer rating. 13th in passing yards. 14th in yards per rush (though in DVoA and SR Hendy is top 5). 10th in third down conversion rate. So we are quite mediocre on offense sadly and that may not change even if they do what some of us want (for myself I want more of Akers and Jefferson).

So in spite of an improved line why are we here? Is it the loss of Cooks? The fact we keep needing to rotate backs? The QB? Our pass catchers overall not playing up to snuff? Mix of all the above?

Secondly McVay may need to accept that we're a defensive team now. He may need to modify his aggression and do what so many here want him to do which is mash and play field position more. But if he goes that route will the special teams allow for it? We have the punter but lack the kicker and our teams overall have been sad (FO doesn't have their rankings up for this past week yet but we were 25th going into that game and I'm sure we're lower now).

And I hate to bring this up but I feel like our offense has not been the same since the Super Bowl. The entirety of 2019 was some hot garbage and we're still struggling in many ways to include shit now like guys lining up wrong and basic mistakes.

I consider myself to lean on the optimistic side as a fan but there are a lot of indicators to be concerned with. That said, November's sched is going to clear some shit up so I'm actually looking forward to how the Rams respond.
Th line wasn't improved yesterday, there was a lot of bad play from all of them. I’m about done with Hav as well.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Th line want improved yesterday, there was a lot of bad play from all of them. I’m about done with Hav as well.
I am going to wait for all 22 but yeah I suspect we had a lot of pass pro breakdowns. That said I am sure a lot of it was schematic, which is why McVay was so hellbent on taking all the blame (yes he always does but sometimes he'll allude to more than that). When you have 7 on 5 with rushers someone's gonna get through. There was a ton of that.

And I fear that Goff--who is usually quite careful with the ball that wasn't him yesterday--might be a bit gunshy following that outing. I hope not. Just go back to the protections and those basics and ensure he's not rushing through that stuff pre-snap in that push to go high tempo tempo tempo.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Unfortunately, I am not processing the agony well with the Rams anymore.
Family can't stand being around me after a loss.
I need to take this shit a lot less seriously, or the 2nd half of the season will result in me not watching it for health and safety.

Open to good advice.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Yes, he does. He needs to adapt to that reality. Doesn't mean we can't throw the ball some, we certainly have some talented receivers and a QB that can get them the ball when protected. But we are not the same team as 2017 and 2018, which was a much more high-flying offensive team.

The point about ST's is a good one, particularly at kicker. I think Kai Forbathwaterwhateverthehellhisnameis probably has two more weeks with the Rams before he's sent packing and we'll go with our third kicker of the year. Whatever they do, they need to prioritize that position in the offseason. I can accept letting GZ go given the health and consistency issued he'd had for the past few seasons vs. the salary he would have commanded, but they didn't do a good enough job at looking at the 'after GZ' part.

It hasn't, but some of that is beyond anyone's control. Nobody knew that Gurley's knee would turn to spaghetti or Cooks would get his bell rung multiple times last year and have such a dramatic dropoff. But we still have a lot of talented players on offense and should rank higher than we do. As far as players lining up wrong, that's a coaching issue, and if they continue to line up wrong, they should line up on the bench while others take their place.

I would like to see more of Jefferson and less of Reynolds, and probably more of Mundt than Everett at this point given the mental lapses of the latter and the fact that he will almost certainly be gone after this season. As far as the RB rotation, I'd rather rely mostly on Akers and Hendo (if he can quit getting dinged up) and save Brown for the short, tough yardage situations.

And more 12 personnel too. It's been the best antidote to the kind of stuff we saw yesterday. The offense would be less exciting going forward, but it might actually be more effective and less mistake prone. This offense still has better talent overall than the 49ers had last year, and Goff's struggles yesterday notwithstanding, we are in much better shape at the position than they are. They were able to ride that all the way to the Super Bowl. We should at least be able to ride the talent we have to the playoffs.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Th line wasn't improved yesterday, there was a lot of bad play from all of them. I’m about done with Hav as well.

OK. I'll let Havenstein know.
He'll probably be kinda sad.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Problem is we believed our OL hype that we are so much improved and as a run team we are, but not as a pass team in protection.

The reason why Miami did so much zero blitzing is because they have great corners and can play man. But McVay should have instantly recognized this and kept more in to block gone max protect it's mostly on McVay imo.

My pov about the OL bears out with the stats stated we are a middle of the pack team. What's the difference it can't be running the ball/Gurley because we are doing good there. Is it our Wrs well they are the same minus Cooks but our TEs, Reynolds have emerged so I don't get it. All I remember in "17 & '18 our OL created a really strong pocket for Goff.

I still think we can go 11-5. Neither Seattle nor AZ have a good Defense both have good Oofenses though. SF has Garapolo and Kittle out for possibly the season. We will get Fuller and A'Shawn back so our D will be fine. So how do we fix the Offense? Trade for a WR or OL? I have no idea.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately, I am not processing the agony well with the Rams anymore.
Family can't stand being around me after a loss.
I need to take this shit a lot less seriously, or the 2nd half of the season will result in me not watching it for health and safety.

Open to good advice.

This is something I've struggled with as well. For me it helped to look at the big picture and peg some games as probable losses mentally - the Bills game was a surefire loss in my book, the only reason the loss bothered me was because of how close we were to winning. But I am much improved this year over last.

Expecting losses, which I had for all three losses plus the Philly game, helps me because I realized how I felt correlated with what I expected to happen - if those expectations weren't met, it was tough for me to recover.

This little trick helped me to realize football is just a game and the main reason I love it is because it's important to my family as a whole - so I make a point to enjoy myself even when were losing 28-10 in the fourth quarter

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
As we sit right now, I see us as a 9-7 team. Self inflicted wounds on the offensive side of the ball are starting to pile up. It still seems that the Rams make the same mistakes when defenses are exploiting a weakness. McVay and crew take too long to adjust to what they're doing, or they plain and simple are not ready for it. Example the Dolphins Zero blitzing the hell out of our team. I'm pretty sure some quick slants, screens, WR Bubble screens, and short crossing routes are in the playbook. And if they're not, Mcvay has a long way to go as a play caller.

Much like last year, one week we look like like a playoff team and then the next we look like Fisher's rams. I just don't get it.

yep, inconsistent young team.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

this thread is filled with so much rainbows and sunshine.

snap out of it sad sacks.

it's unbelievable how many chicken littles infest this board after a loss.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Miami is proof; you can win or lose any game.

The Rams are capable of going on a streak, stacking quality wins over good opponents in the weeks ahead would change the outlook real quick.

The good news; we are mostly healthy, McVay is bright, and just 3 pages back we had Jared Goff appreciation threads. So, we got more than Ronald McDonald working on this.

One loss sucks. So... let’s go grab a win against Seattle. We have a character building opportunity... something a team needs for playoff run.

(y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh and...

I was loading our Pick‘em games for week 10 last night...

Just a few months ago... I wasn’t sure we would have week 1 in 2020.

I dunno... Loading those games it really hit me; This is awesome! We needed football in 2020 and we got it.

We’re 5-3. Just need a playoff ticket.... home field less important in 2020.

Go Rams!

@Alaskan Ram @FrantikRam

Tano

Legend
Lots of Debbie Downers in these posts

I am still going 12 wins as well.

I think we beat Tampon

We are going to be fired up to beat Brady

Only game we lose is Seattle at Seattle

Put pressure on the midget 2 at Arizona and he sucks

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I think the Rams will be fine.

They'll continue to be good, bad, and ugly- all three of which could produce a W or an L.

But I can't be throwing full open beer cans at the wall in front of my children when the game starts getting less fun than a root canal minus the local anesthetic.

I'll watch future games and cut out the alcohol. Bummer for me.

Go Rams.

fearsomefour

Legend
Beginning of the year I had the Rams as an 8-8 or 9-7 team.
Hard to not stick with that now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Robinson & Fuller are active after the bye, that's a major jolt to the defense, hopefully, both McVay and Goff have learnerd their lesson and McVay will lean more heavily on the run game.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Many here know me, I'm a pretty big homer. That being said, after watching who and how we've beaten them I think things look grim. Unless something radically changes with our offense I don't think we stand a chance against the remaining schedule. I honestly think we will be fortunate to end this season with a winning record. Man... I HOPE I'm wrong. PLEASE let me be wrong!!!