Position Battles: Third OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Washington was another not to dress last night. He has missed almost the last 10 days, and I still maintain, his days are numbered. I would also like to see Bond at LG some, before Barnes.

By the 3rd preseason game, I would expect to see Wells and Long, if not before. This entire unit takes on a whole different feel when those guys get back on the field. Saffold too. I think until that happens, the likelihood of people over reacting to what they see out of the 8th, 9th and 10th guys in the pecking order is pretty good.

Yep when you take last night's main starters OLT Person, OC Barnes & ORG Joseph (all of whom played very good IMO) & replace them with Long-Wells & Saffold....those three former starters become excellent talented reserves that were not there as a trio in the OL last season! Think now........that's an outstanding 8 player OL! All Boudreau needs to do is add in some of that latent future potential Ram OL'ers & things could really change in Sam Bradford's life.......yes CoachO the pecking has improved greatly over last season.

fearsomefour

Legend
Last night I saw Person-Robinson & Hooey play OLT and Barksdale-Hooey & Dill play ORT.

I zero'd in on Person early....he did not disappoint at all very smooth....but the Rams ran primarily to the right behind Barksdale & Joseph much of the time. Person played much better than I expected does nothing all that great but generally does everything well enough! Robinson had some slip ups in pass protection but as expected run blocks like a rolling cement truck @ 65 mph. GR did not see much plays @ OLT. Hooey replaced him later and held up OK.

We know JB so lets go to Sean Hooey.....he did very well from his ORT post especially in run blocking he cleared out many outside runs for Mason. Dill did well in pass blocking @ ORT but he is Undisciplined. I felt bad for the UDFA RJ Dill who plays much like Harvey Dahl he had four flags called on him.

Bottom line after just our first pre season game I am feeling much better after watching OLT Person & ORT Hooey...Boudreau's hard work was evidenced by what I saw on those two.;)
Person was solid at T and G....although the third T being the concern. Hooey had a few of his moments but overall was improved from last year.
I was a bit disappointed in Joseph as he looked a step slow on many plays.
Rhaney had a few nice plays run blocking.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Not at liberty to say, but I'm fairly confident in saying he won't be on the 53 man come Sept 7th.
I'm pretty confident I know what you know about Jones. I have a procedural question for you. If a player is put on IR as designated return, as Jones could be, is that a one shot deal with that designation? Meaning say should a more valuable player go down after Jones, could Jones be moved to regular IR, and the newly injured player replace him as the Designated Return?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty confident I know what you know about Jones. I have a procedural question for you. If a player is put on IR as designated return, as Jones could be, is that a one shot deal with that designation? Meaning say should a more valuable player go down after Jones, could Jones be moved to regular IR, and the newly injured player replace him as the Designated Return?
nope,, its a one time thing... one they designate THAT guy, they lose it

PolarBear

Rookie
Not at liberty to say, but I'm fairly confident in saying he won't be on the 53 man come Sept 7th.
Just wondering Coach, how did you get connections within the Rams organizations? Did you meet them in training camp? Are You friends with anyone who got a job there?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just wondering Coach, how did you get connections within the Rams organizations? Did you meet them in training camp? Are You friends with anyone who got a job there?

I have a very good friend who is closely connected to the organization. While he is not a member of the organization directly, he works closely with them. And has direct access to the team, both the players and the coaching staff.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I thought that Hooey played like well, hooey! If he can't do better than that he is gone.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Last night I saw Person-Robinson & Hooey play OLT and Barksdale-Hooey & Dill play ORT.

I zero'd in on Person early....he did not disappoint at all very smooth....but the Rams ran primarily to the right behind Barksdale & Joseph much of the time. Person played much better than I expected does nothing all that great but generally does everything well enough! Robinson had some slip ups in pass protection but as expected run blocks like a rolling cement truck @ 65 mph. GR did not see much plays @ OLT. Hooey replaced him later and held up OK.

We know JB so lets go to Sean Hooey.....he did very well from his ORT post especially in run blocking he cleared out many outside runs for Mason. Dill did well in pass blocking @ ORT but he is Undisciplined. I felt bad for the UDFA RJ Dill who plays much like Harvey Dahl he had four flags called on him.

Bottom line after just our first pre season game I am feeling much better after watching OLT Person & ORT Hooey...Boudreau's hard work was evidenced by what I saw on those two.;)
Person was a surprise, and G. Robinson just trucked some people. He also held up OK in pass pro if you disregard, what was a very tough, quick decision on that one play. I thought Barnes should have handed him off rather than just barely chip him. There didn't seem to be communication on that play, We also didn't see anyone try to speed rush him. If we run a designed cutback, we may see a lot of yards, because Robinson sealed the whole left side a couple of times.

Joseph looked great too. I think our OL is going to be very good when all are healthy.

The LB's and backup DL didn't look very good, and I don't want to pile on the safeties, but E.J. is definitely a player, and a couple other DB's had their moments.

Donald is going to be VERY good, but he needs to learn/play with gap integrity. If he gets too much penetration on running plays, it could leave gaping holes.

Sam showed that he's a football players, and caused a few hurries. He looks leaner, more cut than at the combine. It will be hard to cut him if he keeps playing this way.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Dick84 with this thought:
I thought Saffold was our third tackle? And Robinson our 4th?
Saffold should only play T in a dire emergency and Robinson should only play LT ( :eek: ) if Saffold is dead. Just my opinion LOL!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Saffold should only play T in a dire emergency and Robinson should only play LT :)eek:) if Saffold is dead. Just my opinion LOL!
I disagree with you here...I'd sacrifice Saff, for Bradford.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM forgetting a key ingredient:
I disagree with you here...I'd sacrifice Saff, for Bradford.
I'm thinking you'd have to add a lot of chicken blood to make that work.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm thinking you'd have to add a lot of chicken blood to make that work.
With Joseph, I think that is a feasible sacrifice/risk/reward option, and I love Saffold, but we need QB1 to go to the playoffs this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You're saying you'd take Person over Saffold or GRob at LT?
I'm saying that Saffold is less important than Bradford, but I hope/pray that it doesn't come to that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought that Hooey played like well, hooey! If he can't do better than that he is gone.

His play @ ORT was better than his play @ OLT. It has been said here @ ROD that if Hooey was to make this team it would be @ ORT not OLT

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
His play @ ORT was better than his play @ OLT. It has been said here @ ROD that if Hooey was to make this team it would be @ ORT not OLT
If he makes the team, I'd be surprised.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM all in:
With Joseph, I think that is a feasible sacrifice/risk/reward option, and I love Saffold, but we need QB1 to go to the playoffs this year.
I understand your point but isn't Saffold injured even as we speak? I'm not sure you're talking about even a medium term solution with Saffold at LT. Over/under on him getting a season ending injury playing LT is 3 games (lying through my teeth there :LOL: ).

Dick84 with his jaw hanging down to his belt:
You're saying you'd take Person over Saffold or GRob at LT?
No doubt in my mind. We can always give him some help if it turns out he needs it. If it turns out to be disastrous then we get to that "dire emergency" I talked about.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I understand your point but isn't Saffold injured even as we speak? I'm not sure you're talking about even a medium term solution with Saffold at LT. Over/under on him getting a season ending injury playing LT is 3 games (lying through my teeth there :LOL: ).

No doubt in my mind. We can always give him some help if it turns out he needs it. If it turns out to be disastrous then we get to that "dire emergency" I talked about.
A stinger is being hurt..not injured. He would play if the football game was real. Just saying.