Position Battles: Third OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last night I saw Person-Robinson & Hooey play OLT and Barksdale-Hooey & Dill play ORT.

I zero'd in on Person early....he did not disappoint at all very smooth....but the Rams ran primarily to the right behind Barksdale & Joseph much of the time. Person played much better than I expected does nothing all that great but generally does everything well enough! Robinson had some slip ups in pass protection but as expected run blocks like a rolling cement truck @ 65 mph. GR did not see much plays @ OLT. Hooey replaced him later and held up OK.

We know JB so lets go to Sean Hooey.....he did very well from his ORT post especially in run blocking he cleared out many outside runs for Mason. Dill did well in pass blocking @ ORT but he is Undisciplined. I felt bad for the UDFA RJ Dill who plays much like Harvey Dahl he had four flags called on him.

Bottom line after just our first pre season game I am feeling much better after watching OLT Person & ORT Hooey...Boudreau's hard work was evidenced by what I saw on those two.;)

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought Peirson did play well. Seem to know what his assignment was. Hooey looked lost, out-quicked..just really a disappointment....Dill too. I wasn't overly impressed with the line play in general.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought Peirson did play well. Seem to know what his assignment was. Hooey looked lost, out-quicked..just really a disappointment....Dill too. I wasn't overly impressed with the line play in general.

When Greg Robinson departed the OLG post.....Boudreau sent in Van Dyk @ OLG.....it was very rough for Van Dyk he was ate alive by those large DT's (n). Rhaney replaced Barnes @ OC and that was a instant hole too (n). Bond took over for Davin Joseph .....Bond had his issues in pass protection more than I was expecting :oops:.

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
I went back and slow motioned all the replays that focused on where the 2nd unit O-Line got beat and was surprised by their lack of athletic movement to get in front of D-linemen shooting the gaps. Hooey barely could move his feet IMO, Dill was lost out there and agree with the assessments of the others pointed out in previous posts. They should have plenty of tape to watch to work on things. To the upside, the RB's all pass protected better than anticipated and appeared to locate the LB's pretty well.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
When Greg Robinson departed the OLG post.....Boudreau sent in Van Dyk @ OLG.....it was very rough for Van Dyk he was ate alive by those large DT's (n). Rhaney replaced Barnes @ OC and that was a instant hole too (n). Bond took over for Davin Joseph .....Bond had his issues in pass protection more than I was expecting :oops:.

Part of the issues that unit had with pass protection, IMO, is Rhaney just doesn't know what he is doing yet, in making all the calls at the LOS. There were many instances where he would make a line call, only to have the QB change it up. I had heard prior to the game, that the plan for the "2nd unit" was to be very run heavy, because of this, very thing, and the game situation sort of dictated they throw it more than they wanted.

Travis Bond has looked a whole lot better in training camp in pass protection than he did last night.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We allowed 4 sacks and averaged 4.7yds per carry.

I saw some good pockets at times, but very much a "C" grade.

FRO

Legend
Jake Long
Roger Saffold
Greg Robinson
Joe Barksdale
Scott Wells
Davin Joseph
Tim Barnes
Barrett Jones
Mike Person

I think those 9 make the team. Question is how many do we keep in total?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We allowed 4 sacks and averaged 4.7yds per carry.

I saw some good pockets at times, but very much a "C" grade.
sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story...It may be only 4 sacks, but the amount of pressure, when they were obviously blitzing, was frightening. Any time they wanted they could hit the QB. I'd like to see the ypc average before the 4th quarter & Masons & Chase's runs....

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Jake Long
Roger Saffold
Greg Robinson
Joe Barksdale
Scott Wells
Davin Joseph
Tim Barnes
Barrett Jones
Mike Person

Pre game I had Person swapped out with Bond - but at this point, I agree with these 9.

FRO

Legend
Pre game I had Person swapped out with Bond - but at this point, I agree with these 9.
Person has very good versatility. Maybe Bond is the number 10 guy. I hope we keep adding linemen through the draft we need to be constantly developing guys.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
This game did underscore the importance of having Robinson between a veteran LT and a veteran C. Miscommunications with Barnes were an issue. Well, once or twice, at least. You really see the value of savvy in the middle.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Jake Long
Roger Saffold
Greg Robinson
Joe Barksdale
Scott Wells
Davin Joseph
Tim Barnes
Barrett Jones
Mike Person

I would venture a guess and say they keep 10. And Barrett Jones will NOT be one of them. So by subtracting him for your list, add Hooey and Bond and you have the 10.

Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Barnes, Joseph, Person, Hooey, Bond.

Jones to IR.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I would venture a guess and say they keep 10. And Barrett Jones will NOT be one of them. So by subtracting him for your list, add Hooey and Bond and you have the 10.

Jones to IR.
Have we ever figured out what, exactly, is wrong with Jones? Continuation of the Lisfranc?

FRO

Legend

Jones to IR.
I thought you were going to say Jones would be cut. Those Bama boys are sure beat up once they reach the NFL. I may be tempted to kick the tires on Harvey Dahl.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I thought you were going to say Jones would be cut. Those Bama boys are sure beat up once they reach the NFL. I may be tempted to kick the tires on Harvey Dahl.
Why Dahl? He is now a RG only, and hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy either. Guard isn't a position of concern. No thanks!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Have we ever figured out what, exactly, is wrong with Jones? Continuation of the Lisfranc?

Not at liberty to say, but I'm fairly confident in saying he won't be on the 53 man come Sept 7th.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If in fact the Rams loose Center Barrett Jones to IR for the first part or all of this 2014 season then OLT Person's ability in an emergency to play center ups his value;). Left side OL'er Person, like I lightly touched on above was the best surprise of last night of the reserves playing:love:. When we see vet center Wells finally join in with the starters then Barnes will be able to finally get some OG time later in the pre season game(y). Maybe Boudreau could get 2nd team OC Tim Barnes in @ OLG @ the same time 3rd team center Demetrius Rhaney to assist the rookie with line calls:cautious:. Rookie Van Dyk OLG & 1st yr player Travis Bond @ ORG could do very little to assist Demetrius Rhaney:eek:. With Jones gone Demetrius Rhaney's value is upped. What we did not see much of last night was Brandon Washington:whistle: maybe Boudreau is saving him up. When Saffold returns to heath:D it will be interesting to see where they play him? OLT or ORG or OLG? but it sure will bump a few of the reserve starters in last night game down to secure that middle of the OL later in the game. In conclusion the interior OL reserves IMO need to step up their game however I'd guess we saw what you would expect from UDFA's/WWC's & late third day draft picks! I need to remind myself that Saint DC :censored: was rushing 5 & 6 defenders in that 2nd half.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If in fact the Rams loose Center Barrett Jones to IR for the first part or all of this 2014 season then OLT Person's ability in an emergency to play center ups his value;). Left side OL'er Person, like I lightly touched on above was the best surprise of last night of the reserves playing:love:. When we see vet center Wells finally join in with the starters then Barnes will be able to finally get some OG time later in the pre season game(y). Maybe Boudreau could get 2nd team OC Tim Barnes in @ OLG @ the same time 3rd team center Demetrius Rhaney to assist the rookie with line calls:cautious:. Rookie Van Dyk OLG & 1st yr player Travis Bond @ ORG could do very little to assist Demetrius Rhaney:eek:. With Jones gone Demetrius Rhaney's value is upped. What we did not see much of last night was Brandon Washington:whistle: maybe Boudreau is saving him up. When Saffold returns to heath:D it will be interesting to see where they play him? OLT or ORG or OLG? but it sure will bump a few of the reserve starters in last night game down to secure that middle of the OL later in the game. In conclusion the interior OL reserves IMO need to step up their game however I'd guess we saw what you would expect from UDFA's/WWC's & late third day draft picks! I need to remind myself that Saint DC :censored: was rushing 5 & 6 defenders in that 2nd half.

Washington was another not to dress last night. He has missed almost the last 10 days, and I still maintain, his days are numbered. I would also like to see Bond at LG some, before Barnes.

By the 3rd preseason game, I would expect to see Wells and Long, if not before. This entire unit takes on a whole different feel when those guys get back on the field. Saffold too. I think until that happens, the likelihood of people over reacting to what they see out of the 8th, 9th and 10th guys in the pecking order is pretty good.