(Poll) What do you think about the Rams BIG draft move?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

How do you feel about the Rams moving up to #1 in the draft?

• I'm ecstatic!!!

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • I'm cautiously optimistic

Votes: 67 43.2%
  • I have a bad feeling about this

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • I hate it!!!

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-up-a-lot-less-than-they-got-four-years-ago/

Rams gave up a lot less than they got four years ago
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2016

zz01nwi1m2mzzdq2zdi2mdezy2qzymjlnwflmtu3y2mwoa-e1460643661771.jpeg
AP

It would be fitting for Titans G.M. Jon Robinson to now scrawl on a whiteboard, “Build to dominate using Ram picks!” After all, that’s what Rams G.M. Les Snead did after fleecing Washington out of the No. 6 pick, two first-round picks, and a second-round selection in exchange for the deal that allowed Washington to draft its supposed franchise quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick.

But the Rams had not moved much farther — from No. 15 to No. 1 — to grab the team’s supposed franchise quarterback. And, relatively speaking, they gave up a lot less.

In addition to the 15th pick, the Rams gave up two second-round picks, a 2017 first-round pick, and a 2017 third-round pick. They also are receiving a fourth-round pick and a sixth-round pick from the Titans this year.

So the Rams got two first-rounders and a second-round pick to drop down four spots for Griffin, and they’re giving up a first-rounder, two second-rounders, a third-rounder — and getting back a four and a six — to move up from No. 15 to No. 1.

That’s a jump of 15 spots, from the middle of round one to the very top. For a package of picks that isn’t nearly as potent as what the Rams got for giving up the No. 2 pick in 2012, especially since the 2012 first-rounder they was nine spots higher than the pick the Titans will get.

The move underscores the importance of having a franchise quarterback, and the difficulty of finding one. The best way to even have a chance at getting one comes from picking at the top of the draft, and the Rams now have that power — courtesy of the franchise that Rams coach Jeff Fisher led for a generation.

Still, if quarterback Carson Wentz fails to pan out for Fisher, chances are he’ll be coaching the Rams for a lot less than a generation. If Wentz flat-out busts, Fisher may not be coaching the Rams by the time the last of the picks sent to Tennessee are even used.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/rams-could-sign-top-pick-right-now/

Rams could sign top pick right now
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2016

zz03yju4yzu0mzvmnwq0ymi2mjmxntcwnje1nmy2nwrizq-e1460644435547.jpeg
AP

The new labor deal makes it much easier to negotiate rookie contracts. And the first pick in the draft can still be signed to a contract before the draft.

So the Rams, who now have the first overall pick in the draft and reportedly want quarterback Carson Wentz, can eliminate any and all confusion and uncertainty by signing Wentz to a contract right now.

The NFL probably would not be thrilled by the move, even though the league office has confirmed that the rule remains in place. It would remove any and all uncertainty from the process, and it would undermine the ultimate reality show’s ultimate offseason reality show.

Maybe the Rams will decide not to sign Wentz for that reason alone. Maybe the decision will be made as part of a wink-nod deal with the league to secure some other benefit for the Rams. While the official position is that no deal like that happened two years ago when the Rams drafted Michael Sam and avoided Hard Knocks, the Rams could surely extract something from the league for keeping its plans close to the vest on Wentz.

And, frankly, if I were calling the shots in L.A. (Rams fans everywhere should thank the angels that I’m not), that’s exactly what I would do.

But if the Rams decide to sign Wentz, the baton would then pass to the Browns, who could likewise select and sign someone with the second overall pick before the draft even begins. And so on, in theory, until the entire first round has been selected, signed, sealed, and delivered.

Which would never happen, but which would be hilarious if it did.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/14/rams-appeared-to-be-poised-to-do-the-nfl-a-solid/

Rams appeared to be poised to do the NFL a solid
Posted by Mike Florio on April 14, 2016, 10:47 AM EDT

zz0xmzy5zdi1mtc5mzywn2y4n2e4mzuzytcyyjfhogezmw-e1460645222631.jpeg
AP

The NFL allowed Rams owner Stan Kroenke to take the team back to L.A. And Rams owner Stan Kroenke now seems to be willing to do the NFL a favor in return, by not screwing up the ultimate reality show’s ultimate offseason reality show.

Amid a report from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times that the Rams traded up from No. 15 to No. 1 to get quarterback Carson Wentz, Peter King of the MMQB.com reports that the Rams “have not decided with certainty” who they will select.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how an NFL team holding the first pick in the draft refrains from undermining the drama of the draft. Given that the NFL has squeezed its broadcast partners to not tip the picks after the picks have been communicated to the league but before the Commissioner has announced them, it’s fair to conclude that the NFL also has squeezed teams not to make their intentions known prematurely, either.

So unofficially it’s Wentz. Officially, the Rams have leaked to King that they don’t know “with certainty” who they’ll pick. And they’ll apparently adhere to that approach until they are on the clock two weeks from tonight, in order to ensure that the top of the draft will preserve some amount of intrigue.

Indeed, it’s likely that the entire trade would have remained under wraps until then, but for the apparently desire of Tennessee to use the L.A. picks for even more trades.

Meanwhile, there is at least a little potential value in waiting. If Carson Wentz were to suffer a fluke injury or worse in the next two weeks, the Rams would surely change their minds about drafting him.

The greater value flows to the NFL, which wants to ensure that the draft will draw maximum interest and ratings and revenue. Which is precisely why the Rams have leaked to King the notion that it’s not a done deal that they’ll take Wentz.

Even though the application of any amount of common sense suggests that they didn’t move to the top of the draft simply for the privilege of having the dibs on the field.

Isiah58

UDFA
I think this is brilliance on the Rams part. In 2004, the Giants, Chargers, and Steelers picked QBs at the top of the first round. The Giants had to give up picks to get to No. 1. Each of those teams have not had to worry about the QB position for the last 12 years (and all are under contract for a couple of more years). If the Rams solved their QB problem, no one will care two years from now what we had to give up, just like no one remembers what the Giants gave up to draft Eli.

This move was surprisingly cheap. The pain is over by day 2 of next year's draft. As to this year's third, we got the Titans' pick at the top of the 4th round so it is basically a drop of 15 picks. Comparatively, the Redskins paid WAY more to go up four spots and they didn't even get the No. 1 pick. This is a great move by the Rams, and one that will set them up for success and be able to go toe to toe with Russell Wilson and the Seahawks for the next ten years. Without this move, we are adrift for the foreseeable future.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm disappointed that they gave up so much for an unproven prospect. No player is worth two first round picks, especially in this draft class.

QBs do not win championships, the team does and this team is not a Wentz or Goff away from a championship.

With so many high profile players coming up for contracts they will have to sign them all because they won't have the draft picks to re-fill.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I'm disappointed that they gave up so much for an unproven prospect. No player is worth two first round picks, especially in this draft class.

QBs do not win championships, the team does and this team is not a Wentz or Goff away from a championship.

With so many high profile players coming up for contracts they will have to sign them all because they won't have the draft picks to re-fill.

I'm sorry but if you don't think guys like Brady and Rodgers are worth 2 first round picks then you are crazy. I would gladly pay four 1st round picks for a QB like that. Brady doesn't even have good receivers and he still dominates games. Guys like that are worth their weight in gold.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm cautiously optimistic.

Let's say we go Wentz. If he turns out to be a great QB - it's a great trade. If he turns out to be shit, well.... we're screwed. It's risky, but I think it's worth the risk. Do you blame them? We had to jump ahead of the Browns.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think they gave up too much, but hey, its a game, and Rams needed a QB and to build a fan base in LA. This move does both.

I'm wondering how much Kroenke had to do with Rams moving up.

With the Rams moving to LA, being showcased on "Hard Knocks", and now moving up to get the #1 pick, sure looks like they've done everything they can to be the new "America's Team".

baconandbread

Let's get the Karty party starty
I'm very cautiously optimistic... I really hope Wentz (or possibly Goff) is the franchise guy they gave up multiple good players for...not so sure myself. Kudos for Snisher being gamblers though and hope for some late round luck on the wide receiver front.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
When people say it isn't worth it to move up to get someone, they are getting ahead of themselves. I'm going cautiously optimistic because we'll see what this kid can do. If he wins games and gets the Rams to the playoffs, then it's absolutely worth it.

It's obvious what the Rams want to do now. Turtle behind Gurley and let the new QB manage the offense. I'm fine with this for this year.

Edit: couple more thoughts.

This solidifies Ogletree as the starting MLB. There's no chance we're targeting Ragland, now.

I've liked Wentz all year, he just passes the eye test. Call it a gut feeling that he will be very good.

We're going to need to hit on a few 3rd day picks to get over the hump.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
I'm optimistic because we will finally get a quarterback who will start for the next 2(+) seasons.
THE QUARTERBACK CAROUSEL IS OVER!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In the future, when you see a list of worst draft trades ever, this one will be on the list. Count on it. A total disaster for the Rams.

OMG can you be any more negative? Where is the optimism? Don't go through life fearing the worst. Look to the possibilities.........and if they are not realized then move on to the next set of possibilities. This can be also be one of the greatest trades of all time.

The Rams got the Redskins picks and what did they do with them all? They got Grob, JJ left. I guess Ogletree. I would trade Grob and Ogletree for a chance at a top QB because without one your team is going nowhere.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
In my opinion we gave up way too much to gamble on one player that may or may not work out. The draft is a crapshoot and I don't think any of the top QB's are worth it. On the other hand, that position is our biggest weakness and something major had to be done about it sooner or later. Vote and tell us why you voted that way.
I'm with you here. It's an awful lot to give up for maybe.

I wonder how Keenum feels about it after the landslide of votes of confidence. If the Rams told him the truth from the beginning, and all the press BS was just that, then it shouldn't be a problem for him. He knew there would be some competition in camp despite being king of the hill to start off.

Snead really doesn't have much to lose with this move. If the Rams keep losing, he's not going to be around for too many more drafts, if any.

I voted cautiously optimistic. Why? Because years and years of being a Rams fan has made it impossible for me to go beyond that level. :deadhorse:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Cautiously optimistic: We'll all know soon enough if it was WR routes and dropping passes or if Wentz can make those all disappear. Hence, it was QB problems for us the last few years. I'm excited but also wanted to watch the draft, too. My plans just changed. I have Thurs thru Saturday off.

Also would be cool to see Bailey return!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I feel like all my dogs were poisoned and skinned.

In a year or so this forum will be empty & abandoned.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm optimistic. I'll feel a whole lot better about it if we can somehow get a 2 or 3rd rounder back this year by trading one of our other QBs.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what the Rams can get for Foles and/or Mannion.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-at-no--1--here-s-who-we-think-143135610.html

Should the Rams draft Wentz or Goff at No. 1? Here's who we think
Eric Edholm

Will the Carson project finally get a chance in Los Angeles? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yes, Rams fans, your new Death Star of a stadium is still being built in Inglewood. But with the Rams' bold, stunning trade for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft, all signs point to the Rams drafting North Dakota State's Carson Wentz over Cal's Jared Goff at 1.

Amazing. A player with 23 starts on the FCS level likely will be the first pick in the draft if the information we've received is solid. This has shades of the Houston Oilers taking Steve McNair with the No. 3 pick in the 1995 draft. The coach of that team of course: Jeff Fisher.

Fisher is in a far different situation now than he was then, a second-year coach with security and a quarterback whom he could nurture and grow with at a reasonable pace. How confident was he back then? Not only did he and general manager Floyd Reese call the bluff of the Jacksonville Jaguars, picking at No. 2 overall and threatening to trade it to the Minnesota Vikings, but Fisher also put his faith in McNair when there were plenty who doubted if the Alcorn State quarterback could be a good NFL player.

That's confidence. Now Fisher is a Rams coach who is seen to be able to walk between the raindrops and keep a job despite a slew of seasons missing the playoffs. But for how long?

Rams owner Stan Kroenke has bet his entire legacy — not to mention billions — on this franchise move, selling the home state of Missouri down the proverbial river and becoming persona non grata there. He can't be too patient with Wentz taking two or three years to develop under Fisher's watch.

But Wentz matches a lot of the qualities that McNair had: size, improvisational skills, guts, toughness, arm talent, poise and a desire to be great and to outwork the competition. If those gifts come to fruition early in L.A., it could be the lifeline that Fisher needs.

The Rams should want to avoid the kind of situation the Titans had with Marcus Mariota, having him learn one system with one head coach as a rookie and then scrapping it midseason and going with Mike Mularkey. But drafting Mariota allowed the Titans to make this deal with the Rams, who sent a dizzying allotment of picks for a player who turns 24 in December and must adjust quickly.

Wentz's first college start was at Iowa State. His first NFL start could be at the Seattle Seahawks for all we know. Good luck, kid.

Could it be Goff and not Wentz? That's possible. The Rams are said to be meeting with him and Wentz between now and April 28, when the Rams will kick off the draft. Maybe they have a change of heart. But it's about 90-10 right now for Wentz. And believe it or not, the offense that North Dakota State ran was far more NFL-compatible than the one Goff ran at Cal.

The Rams showcase Todd Gurley heading up the run game, a couple of decent weapons in receivers Tavon Austin and Kenny Britt, and a young offensive line that has talent and could grow into shape together. But more is needed at QB, and it's hard to bank on much coming from a draft in which your next pick after No. 1 doesn't come until an hour into Day 3 of the draft.

Wentz ran an offense that did a little of everything, and ball distribution and the run game were big parts of the foundation. That's likely the way it will be again if he's the pick.

Goff, the kid from up the coast in the Bay Area, will likely have to wait to hear his name called. It could be as soon, though, as No. 2 to the Cleveland Browns or to a team they trade with. And if Wentz is the guy, the Rams would be far more intriguing then they were yesterday.

- - - - - - -

Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at edholm@yahoo-inc.com or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Eric_Edholm

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Ecstatic, pure and simple.

(And so's Hekker, "Hey guys, another ginger, and he's our QB!"

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I voted about having a bad feeling about this because I do not think Goff or Wentz will ever be more than decent NFL starting QBs.

We could definitely use a decent QB to finally end our merry-go-round at the position, and to add stability and punch to this offense. But for that price tag you better be getting a legitimate impact player at his position.

Time will tell. I hope I'm wrong.