Poll: Biggest Surprise For 2019 Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who Will Be The Rams Biggest Surprise in 2019?

• Rapp will start and excel.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Henderson will be a beast at RB.

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Gaines will plug in next to Donald and become Mini-Me

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Goff will become a Consensus top tier QB.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • An udfa will make the team and become special teams beast. (Name)

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Clay Matthews will look 5 years younger, and get 12 sacks.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Other (provide detail)

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The OP phrased it as “biggest surprise”.

Well, Rapp starting ahead of either a healthy Weddle or JJ would be the biggest surprise for me. Rapp will get snaps, probably lots of them. But they will be in packages of Wade’s design and choosing. But to seize a starting position ahead of a healthy Weddle or JJ? Uh, uh...

I’m very high on Rapp and all the other Rams mentioned, so if they do well it wouldn’t surprise me at all, just to be clear.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yes, but for Blythe to make this list, biggest surprise, he’s going to have to go All-pro, or something.

If he is stable-Able, it will not surprise me. He has become pretty solid overall.

Fair enough~ I'm just going to defend Blythe because I have ROD dollars on him retaining the starting right guard job. :p

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The OP phrased it as “biggest surprise”.

Well, Rapp starting ahead of either a healthy Weddle or JJ would be the biggest surprise for me. Rapp will get snaps, probably lots of them. But they will be in packages of Wade’s design and choosing. But to seize a starting position ahead of a healthy Weddle or JJ? Uh, uh...

I’m very high on Rapp and all the other Rams mentioned, so if they do well it wouldn’t surprise me at all, just to be clear.

Good points, 43, although what if Rapp is used, as projected, in kind of a Barron role, a third safety in the box, plugging holes, maybe picking up a back on a wheel route. 30-40 snaps. That wouldn’t surprise me a bit, nor you, it sounds. It could be described as a kind of starting role, without displacing either Weddell or Johnson.

I agree, though. Short of an injury, I would be surprised if he put either of those two on the sidelines.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
With Talib staying healthy Peters returns to his menacing pro bowl thieving ways, and leads the NFC in interceptions.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I voted "other." I think Gerald Everett takes the next step in his development, supplants Higbee as the starter, and becomes the tight end we envisioned he'd be when he came out.

boy that will be huge if he does. Our O needs to be able show a differ look than 11 personel. Keep the DCs working. I went w/ Gaines he's a beast imho

#DeathRowRams

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All you ungrateful bastids never mention our boy Jake McQuaide, Long Snapper Extraordinaire! He's also doing his side hustle on HBO.....
SZeAV3R.jpg

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Henderson making an impact is a safe bet considering rookie halfbacks tend to get production right away

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Goff has a history of improvement. He did it college, and has done it in the Pro's. He is continually underestimated by 'experts' he has ticked off because he didn't BUST, like they confidently predicted after year one. So whenever some misstep happens, the jackals are ready to pounce to say "see, I told you so."
Sorry A-holes, Goff is a Tractor!

I kinda lean towards Colin Cowherds QB pyramid, which places Goff at Tier 3, that's the $18-20 million dollar range and in the top 11-18 grouping. That sounds about right to me.

I wish folks would stop trying to elevate Goff to someplace he isn't (and that's elite). He may get there someday but not tomorrow or this season. Please don't use his college record, it was modest at best. Even his (ahem) bowl game was lower tier. We know where he is at present and that's fine. After all, If McVay is OK with him, who am I to gripe?

Truth is however, for a drafts 1st pick, I remain somewhat less than satisfied. That said, he's serviceable (with the right supporting cast).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda lean towards Colin Cowherds QB pyramid, which places Goff at Tier 3, that's the $18-20 million dollar range and in the top 11-18 grouping. That sounds about right to me.

I wish folks would stop trying to elevate Goff to someplace he isn't (and that's elite). He may get there someday but not tomorrow or this season. Please don't use his college record, it was modest at best. Even his (ahem) bowl game was lower tier. We know where he is at present and that's fine. After all, If McVay is OK with him, who am I to gripe?

Truth is however, for a drafts 1st pick, I remain somewhat less than satisfied. That said, he's serviceable (with the right supporting cast).
You have a right to your opinion. I think Cowherd is a blowhard and give little credence to his opinions.

View: https://twitter.com/A_Brown1941/status/1126285543971725312

tempests

Hall of Fame
I picked Clay, as he hasn't been "that guy" in five years..

Goff playing at a high level shouldn't be that big of a surprise. Only to those who are bound and determined not to see anything in him.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I beg to differ. Goff is still getting better, and there are not dozen QBs I would put over him. Maybe 5-7 at best.

Would you take Carson Wince, or Matt Ryan over Goff?

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Goff has a history of improvement. He did it college, and has done it in the Pro's. He is continually underestimated by 'experts' he has ticked off because he didn't BUST, like they confidently predicted after year one. So whenever some misstep happens, the jackals are ready to pounce to say "see, I told you so."
Sorry A-holes, Goff is a Tractor!

Was there some misstep I don’t know about?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

3 years in the league
2 pro bowls
2 playoff appearances
1 Super Bowl appearance

I think he is coming along

In all seriousness, I do think he has some room to grow. And I can already hear the - it’s not because of him that we are winning argument.

I’m not sure I can name 10 QBs I’d rather have. I’m not sure I could name more than 5, really.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

Really you’re less than satisfied? He was the fastest #1 pick ever to reach the super bowl. Our team has won back to back division crowns and made it to the playoffs in first his 2 years as a full time starter. Not to mention making it to the super bowl last year. That after not making the playoffs since 2004.

He has the most wins of any qb the last 2 seasons combined. His stats over the last two years are just about top 5/10 in every single category. He’s improved every single season as a pro. He is just 24 years old.

Can I ask what would make you happy from him if all I listed above leaves you “less than satisfied”??

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I beg to differ. Goff is still getting better, and there are not dozen QBs I would put over him. Maybe 5-7 at best.

Would you take Carson Wince, or Matt Ryan over Goff?

I didn't say he's not getting better, I'd sure hope he'd improve year over year. Yes, I'd take Wentz but injuries are beginning to become an issue. I'd take Sam Darnold in a heart beat, but that's all fantasy. Goff's here and will remain so unless (fill in the blanks). I do give Goff credit for staying healthy and on the field.

BTW, Wentz and Ryan are rated tier 2 in the Herd pyramid, Goff is in tier 3 along with guys like Cousins, Stafford, Newton, Garappolo, Dalton and Prescott. There are 11 QB's in the tiers above Goff.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I didn't say he's not getting better, I'd sure hope he'd improve year over year. Yes, I'd take Wentz but injuries are beginning to become an issue. I'd take Sam Darnold in a heart beat, but that's all fantasy. Goff's here and will remain so unless (fill in the blanks). I do give Goff credit for staying healthy and on the field.

BTW, Wentz and Ryan are rated tier 2 in the Herd pyramid, Goff is in tier 3 along with guys like Cousins, Stafford, Newton, Garappolo, Dalton and Prescott. There are 11 QB's in the tiers above Goff.

Colin Cowpie? I'm not surprised. People outside of Rams fans don't give Goff any credit.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I understand your position. You seem to point to this blog, or whatever, as proof of Goff’s rightful position in the rankings.

It’s just some dudes opinion. Like yours. Or mine. But the facts and the numbers bear witness to a different ranking. Goff is 25 years old, top ten in any category, twice led his team to the playoffs, once to the Super Bowl, and twice selected to the Pro Bowl.

You’d take Sam Darnold in a heartbeat??

@lachamp is that you?