Playoff seeding

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
i'm tellin ya, mcvay held back against the vikings and showed them little of what he's got in store for them. i think he had them pegged as the rams biggest threat so he wanted to show them nothing during a regular season game. they will get the rams A game if they meet in the playoffs.

Dude, I truly hope that is the case. The Vikings are the only team that truly beat us, in my periscope.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They have to beat both Minnesota and Philly so what difference is the order?
Being 3 seed means if Philly loses, the Rams could host to NFC championship

The difference is which team you have to play in round 2. One is simply an easier matchup. That's it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dude, I truly hope that is the case. The Vikings are the only team that truly beat us, in my periscope.

Agreed. I think the Rams are going to be a different team if they end up going into Minnesota in the playoffs, but they're definitely one of the teams that physically manhandled us. IMO they are the team with the strongest chance to knock the Rams out in the NFC field.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone is talking 3 or 4 seed, what about the 2 seed? Correct me if I'm wrong but if Minnesota loses out and the RAMS win out the RAMS would be the 2 seed with a 12-4 record and Minnesota would drop to 11-5. Minnesota has @Green Bay with Rodgers back, I can see them losing that one, then the Bears come to town for an old fashion division sloberknocker and by some miracle the Bears pull off the upset! We can dream can't we? We'll get to see the Packers Vikings game unfold Saturday so we'll know where we stand come Sunday, but most importantly beat the Titans!

Last edited:

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Agreed. I think the Rams are going to be a different team if they end up going into Minnesota in the playoffs, but they're definitely one of the teams that physically manhandled us. IMO they are the team with the strongest chance to knock the Rams out in the NFC field.
Rams can handle the Vikings. The stadium noise threw off their offensive timing in the first game. They will play to their actual ability next time, as they just did against Seattle. Whitworth was right-- they needed the experience to grow.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ok - I’m ready to talk about it.

The Eagles currently have the 1 seed - with games against the Raiders and Cowboys remaining.

The Vikings have the 2 - Packers and Bears reminding

Let’s assume they both win out.

Do we want the 3 seed or the 4 seed?

Which is the better track? To play the 6 seed? (Lions, Seahawks, Falcons) and then if we win go to Minnesota? Or would we rather play the 5 seed (probably Panthers - maybe the Saints) and then go to Philly?

We may get the the point where week 17 gives us this choice - where we can rest our 1s against the 9ers knowing we will play 1 home game on wild card weekend and then hit the road to either Minnesota or Philly.

Myself, I’d just go for the 3 and let the chips fall - you may end up at home for the NFC championship game that way even though I think Minnesota is tougher than Philly right now.
I'd rather face anyone other than Minnesota and Carolina....and this Rams team is probably the best road team in the NFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference is which team you have to play in round 2. One is simply an easier matchup. That's it.
Meh, if Minnesota is that invincible, they have to play them at some point. Playing them in round 2 means they have a chance to play the NFC championship in LA

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I want the key starters to get that week of rest man. I think that's important when you don't get the round 1 bye.

THIS.

If we beat Tennessee I'm not a fan of playing 22 backups as I think it is bad for the psyche of the team (and I'm sure McVay thinks the same). BUT I would agree giving guys a week off like Barron and Ogletree who have been playing through injuries is key. Imo play the starters for the first half and hopefully we can muster a 3+ possession lead. I think that's enough, even with a lot of backups sprinkled in during the 2nd half, to beat the niners (even with Jimmy G).

Ants

Starter
I think Eagles will finish with the 2 seed which is perfect because I think it's pretty obvious we'll take 3. So IFF we win our first game we get Philly and I want to smash them.

I'm just worried about Atlanta honestly. I hope they dont take 6th bc that is the kind of team that can play us well. I'd much rather the Sants or Panthers for the first game.

See, I think the opposite.
First of all, to me, Eagles or Vikings doesn't matter. They are both good teams, though Eagles are more beatable. But would you rather play in Philly on a windy 20 degree day, or in a comfy Dome (with LOUD fans)?
Doesn't matter. We just have to get there.

My focus would be on the opponents for the previous game. I would much rather play Atlanta over the Saints or Panthers.
Panthers are a tough, solid team. Say what you want about Cam quitting...that's history. The Saints have a great team and could easily go toe to toe with us and beat us. .

So looking at it strictly matchup-wise, I think the first game is way more important than the NFC Championship game.

But, you want to be the best? - you have to beat the best. Rams just have to win regardless of opponent.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
To be the best, you have to beat the best. Whoever emerges from the NFC will surely be battle tested, more so than the AFC champion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So any faint hopes for getting the #2 seed are gone. Green Bay has little chance to beat Minnesota with Rodgers but he won’t play now that the Packers are eliminated

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/19/nfc-playoff-picture-everybody-wins/

NFC playoff picture: Everybody wins
Posted by Josh Alper on December 19, 2017

There was a new quarterback in Philly, a trip to Seattle for the Rams and a visit from Aaron Rodgers for the Panthers, but all three teams wound up as winners in Week 15.

That was the case for the other three teams that entered the week in playoff position as well, which means that the meaningful part of the snapshot looks exactly the same as it did at this time last week.

With the Saints hosting the Falcons on Sunday, everyone can’t win again next week but Atlanta’s tiebreaker edge over its closest competitors means that the picture won’t be changing much.

LEADERS

1. Eagles (12-2)
: They clinched a bye and can wrap up the top spot by beating the Raiders this week.

2. Vikings (11-3): A division championship is guaranteed and a bye is a win away.

3. Rams (10-4): Sunday’s slaughter of the Seahawks felt like a passing of the torch, but the NFC West hasn’t been clinched yet.

4. Saints (10-4): Beat the Falcons and the division title is theirs to enjoy.

5. Panthers (10-4): They need help from the Falcons before beating the Falcons to move up from Wild Card position.

6. Falcons (9-5): Monday night’s win was a big help to the defending NFC champions as they try to return to the postseason.

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN

7. Lions (8-6): They have the tiebreaker edge on the 8-6 teams, but a loss to the Falcons may make that moot.

8. Seahawks (8-6): A loss to the Cowboys this weekend will end the Seahawks’ run of playoff appearances.

9. Cowboys (8-6): They remained alive long enough for Ezekiel Elliott‘s return, but just winning out isn’t enough for the Cowboys.

10. Packers (7-7): There will be no fairy tale ending for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

11. Redskins (6-8): They held off the Cardinals, but it’s too little too late.

12. Cardinals (6-8): Finishing with a .500 record is the only upside left in Arizona.

13. Buccaneers (4-10): Did Monday’s loss push them closer to a coaching change?

14. 49ers (4-10): Thanks to Jimmy Garoppolo, the Niners are feeling better about being a four-win team than most in recent memory.

15. Bears (4-10): Mitch Trubisky’s future looks good, but those four wins don’t feel so good in Chicago.

16. Giants (2-12): Their offense showed up against the Eagles, so the defense and special teams did their part to make sure the Giants keep losing.

ausmurp

Starter
See, I think the opposite.
First of all, to me, Eagles or Vikings doesn't matter. They are both good teams, though Eagles are more beatable. But would you rather play in Philly on a windy 20 degree day, or in a comfy Dome (with LOUD fans)?
Doesn't matter. We just have to get there.

My focus would be on the opponents for the previous game. I would much rather play Atlanta over the Saints or Panthers.
Panthers are a tough, solid team. Say what you want about Cam quitting...that's history. The Saints have a great team and could easily go toe to toe with us and beat us. .

So looking at it strictly matchup-wise, I think the first game is way more important than the NFC Championship game.

But, you want to be the best? - you have to beat the best. Rams just have to win regardless of opponent.

Obviously focus of the team is on the first game, not the second. The discussion is about the seedings as a whole though. I'm just pointing our that the Eagles are not even close to the Vikings without Wentz. I think that is obvious to most people.

As for Atlanta, they are very inconsistent but way scarier to me than Panthers or Sants who I've watched a lot of this yr. The Panthers are very similar to the Seahawks on offense except they have slightly better blocking and better RBs. Cam can be contained the exact same blueprint we always use to contain Wilson. I think we would smash Panthers. Sants we know we can beat bc Drew Brees always struggles against us and we already beat them once. Atlanta is so weird of a team that they *could blow us out. I don't see the other teams doing that. Just my opinion though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams clinch a playoff berth with a Carolina loss, Atl loss and Detroit loss or tie.

Rams clinch the division with a win or tie or a Seattle loss or tie.

Seattle is eliminated with a loss or a tie and an Atl win or tie.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/19/13-of-this-weeks-16-games-have-playoff-implications/

13 of this week’s 16 games have playoff implications
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 19, 2017

With two weeks to go in the NFL season, five teams have clinched playoff berths. But no team has clinched a playoff seed, and 19 teams remain in contention.

How to keep it all straight? Take a look at our cheat sheet for this week’s games, telling you which ones have playoff implications for both teams, which ones have playoff implications for one team, and which ones you can comfortably ignore.

PLAYOFF IMPLICATIONS FOR BOTH TEAMS
Rams at Titans: The Rams can clinch the NFC West with a win. The Titans would win the AFC South with two wins and a Jaguars loss on Sunday.

Dolphins at Chiefs: The Dolphins have very slim playoff hopes, which rest on winning out and getting a lot of help. The Chiefs clinch the AFC West with a win.

Bills at Patriots: The Patriots control their own destiny for home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. The Bills are still fighting for a wild card and will have a great chance if they can upset the Patriots.

Falcons at Saints: The winner of this game clinches a playoff berth. The loser will still have a good chance of making the postseason.

Seahawks at Cowboys: The loser of this game is eliminated from playoff contention. The winner still has a chance, but will need help.

Raiders at Eagles (Monday): Right now this game has implications for both teams, but it might be meaningless before kickoff. The Eagles would clinch home-field advantage with either one more win or a Vikings loss. The 6-8 Raiders’ very slim playoff hopes hinge on winning out and getting a whole lot of help, including the 8-6 Chargers, 8-6 Bills and 8-6 Titans all losing out. If any of those teams win on Sunday, the Raiders are out of it.

PLAYOFF IMPLICATIONS FOR ONE TEAM
Colts at Ravens (Saturday): At the moment the Ravens are the AFC No. 7 seed, but if they win out they’ll be a wild card team. The Colts are out of it.

Vikings at Packers (Saturday): The Vikings have clinched the NFC North but are still fighting for a first-round bye and a chance at home-field advantage throughout the playoffs — which for the Vikings would include the Super Bowl. The Packers were eliminated when the Falcons won on Monday night.

Lions at Bengals: The Lions can make the playoffs with two wins, and help in the form of either the Falcons or Panthers losing twice. The Bengals are playing only for pride — which they don’t have much of, judging by their last couple games.

Chargers at Jets: The Chargers are still alive but will be eliminated with a loss. The Jets are out of it.

Buccaneers at Panthers: Carolina clinches a playoff berth with a win. Tampa Bay is out of it.

Jaguars at 49ers: Jacksonville has already clinched a playoff berth and will clinch the AFC South with a win. San Francisco is out of it but may be a tougher test than expected with Jimmy Garoppolo leading the 49ers on a three-game winning streak.

Steelers at Texans (Monday): Pittsburgh can clinch a playoff bye by winning out, and can still earn home-field advantage if the Patriots stumble. The Texans are out of it.

PLAYOFF IMPLICATIONS FOR NEITHER TEAM
Browns at Bears: The Browns are trying to avoid going 0-16, while the Bears are trying to avoid the embarrassment of losing to the Browns.

Broncos at Redskins: Two of this year’s more disappointing teams are already out of it.

Giants at Cardinals: A lump of coal on Christmas Eve.