Pissing Me Off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IF he was targeting the head yeah. But he wasn't. He didn't lower his head, Cooks did. That's why Cooks head was hit, he dropped down in the wrong direction. He put his head down DIRECTLY into the line of contact which was well below where it would have been if he had not lowered his head.

That isn't the fault of the defender. It isn't the fault of Cooks. It's just a play that happens in this sport sometimes.

That's all there is to it.
Sorry but absolutely ridiculous. Cooks lowers his helmet height maybe 3”. Watch it. There is no fucking doubt the defender comes in leading with his helmet. If you have ever watched Cooks run he gets small almost immediately. The defender is coming at an angle and is clearly launching helmet and shoulder to the head. Watch the first two angles with an open eye.

View: https://youtu.be/Y8uWAltl7L8

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And most of the time when a defender is coming a player stiff arms or turns away.
Seriously? You’re going to go with that on THAT play? Find video of a player stiff arming when a player is bee lining straight at him at that kind of speed. Find one of a player simply turning the other way. Good luck with that.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The three things that officials look for are:
1) If a player lowers his helmet to establish a linear body posture prior to initiating and making contact with the helmet
2) There is an unobstructed path to his opponent,
3) The contact was clearly avoidable and the player delivering the blow had other options.

It looks like its a 3 strikes and you're out for Thompson from the way I see it. You could say Cooks lowered his head, but I think that was for protection more than anything, make yourself smaller, limit the hit, and from the stills both players lower their helmets at the same time. But if the laws are there to PROTECT players, then this should have been a flag against the defender because going to point 3 above, Thompson had different options.

The thing is, I find disturbing similarities between both hits, Now if these players were rookies I could give them the benefit of the doubt and as has been said this isn't the way the Seahawks train to tackle.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pizzed off?
Better to be pizzed off, than pizzed on I suppose

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i couldn't find the first rtp penalty from that baltimore game but the rusher barely touched brady's helmet with his pinky finger. that was 10 years ago. and then those two seafuck dickheads can do that and not get flagged? fuck off.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah that ends this conversation.

Because according to your scale you have a 17 foot long DNA rifle.
Apparently you didn't rewatch it. Cooks hunches down when he catches the ball like he almost always does, then curls his helmet down in an attempt to avoid heavy contact. He is not running toward the defender but straight ahead as the defender comes in from an angle straight at Cooks' head. Cooks doesn't get much lower at all - maybe a few inches.

I agree that it doesn't refer to height. I was responding to Les' notion that because he went low, the defender had no options. But it doesn't mean the offending player had to have his face directly at the ground. It is the use of the helmet - not specifically that it is only the very top of it.

Here is verbatim:

There was a particular emphasis placed on player protection, which resulted in rules changes and points of emphasis to reduce risk and prevent injury.
Can we all agree that this is supposed to be the over riding reason for this rule as well as the defenseless receiver rule, targeting (which I believe only actually exists in college rules), and contact to the helmet rules?

The rule states that it is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent.
It sure looks like this is exactly what McDougald is doing.

The officiating standards for the Use of Helmet rule are:

• Lowering the head (not to include bracing for contact) As Cooks was doing for three or four yards before contact
  • Initiating contact with the helmet to any part of an opponent. Contact does not have to be to an opponent’s head or neck area — lowering the head and initiating contact to an opponent’s torso, hips, and lower body, is also a foul.
  • Making contact on an opponent (both offense and defense) Does anyone think when watching those replays that Cooks was the one initiating contact?
The standards for ejection are, if: These are the standards for ejection - not a penalty or a fine and I still think they apply - every last one of them.

• The player lowers his helmet to establish a linear body posture prior to initiating and making contact with the helmet;
  • The player delivering the blow had an unobstructed path to his opponent; and if
    • The contact was clearly avoidable

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Out WRs need to learn to dive when catching passes over the middle in traffic to protect themselves, like Bruce and Holt used to do. Cooks can't be getting concussions like this. He won't make it thru his Rams contract.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Looked today to see what fine Stewart got for his blatant horse collar on Kupp...... well, he didn't get any. Glad to see how serious the NFL is for player safety. Now I'm really fucking pissed.

Last edited: