PFT gets in a classic dig at Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If a nuclear bomb were dropped on the Ed Dome, only cockroaches and Jeff Fisher would survive.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/07/in-todays-nfl-few-coaches-get-time-to-build-a-team/

In today’s NFL, few coaches get time to build a team
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 7, 2016

496332812.jpg
Getty Images

In 2014, seven new NFL coaches were hired. Four of those coaches have made the playoffs, and the other three have been fired.

That’s life for a coach in today’s NFL: You’d better win quickly, because you won’t get time to build a team slowly.

The news that the Buccaneers had fired head coach Lovie Smith came as a surprise on Wednesday night, but maybe it shouldn’t have been: Smith has coached two seasons and hasn’t made the playoffs, so perhaps we should have expected him to have the same fate as the other two coaches from the class of 2014 who haven’t made the playoffs, Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Pettine.

In the coaching class from 2013, there’s been similar turnover: Rob Chudzinski was fired after one year, Marc Trestman was fired after two years and Chip Kelly was fired in his third year. Bruce Arians and Andy Reid remain, but that’s no surprise as they’re in the playoffs. It is a bit surprising that Mike McCoy and Gus Bradley are still on the job, although they both may have to make the playoffs next year to avoid getting fired in their fourth seasons.

The class of 2012 had seven new coaches, and five — Greg Schiano, Romeo Crennel, Joe Philbin, Dennis Allen and Mike Mularkey — have already been fired. A sixth, Chuck Pagano, was nearly fired despite winning three playoff games in his four years.

The seventh, Jeff Fisher, is safe despite failing to make the playoffs in four years. If a nuclear bomb were dropped on the Edward Jones Dome, the only survivors would be cockroaches and Jeff Fisher’s coaching career.

From the 2011 class, just two of the eight coaches hired — Ron Rivera and Jason Garrett — remain. Pat Shurmur, John Fox, Leslie Frazier, Hue Jackson, Jim Harbaugh and Mike Munchak are all gone; Fox was fired after a 12-4 season.

So that’s the state of coaching in the NFL today: It’s almost impossible to keep your job for more than a couple years if you don’t win. Owners like to pay lip service to concepts like building a strong foundation for long-term success, but owners are usually too impatient to find out if coaches are going to succeed in the long run or not. In the NFL you win right away, or you’re fired.
--------
There’s something oddly comforting about the prospect of Jeff Fisher being in the league for 200 years and probably coaching 30 different teams. He’s the Highlander of pro football.
--------
Your comment on Fisher could not be more accurate. What does this guy have on people that he keeps his job?
--------
I have no idea how Jeff Fisher keeps his job… I bet when he does get fired, there will be another sucker team courting him.. Just ridiculous
--------
so, blame teams for not keeping coaches long enough to build teams and create a foundation, then criticize the rams for doing just that? fisher is a good coach who does not have that franchise qb that makes good coaches geniuses.
---------
I tend to wonder if Jeff Fisher would have such luck keeping jobs if he wasn’t on the competition committee. He’s been on the committee (in some form or other) since 2000.
---------
The comment about Jeff Fisher was actually pretty funny. I don’t know how this guy survives year after year, other than the fact that he has always seemed to figure out how to defeat his divisional opponents. I guess the owner didn’t want to fire a guy who went 4-2 against his own division (including a sweep of two time NFC Champion Seattle), and 3-7 against the rest of the league.
---------
Jeff Fisher will always have a job as long as he is willing to throw away draft picks on players who don’t deserve to be drafted, so the NFL can look better in the eyes of people who don’t watch football.

jjab360

Legend
That's pretty funny lol.

I'm starting to think that staying the course might be the right thing to do, Fisher would probably succeed with a real QB. The problem is he has nobody to blame but himself for not having one yet.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't know
Not cool on anyone cracking on my Rams
Makes me just want to stab those guys in the eyes
And last I checked nuclear war jokes weren't all that funny
FU-PTF

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Fisher must be feeling some heat by now. Lets hope that heat gets his butt in gear next year....

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like Jeff Fisher a lot, and I am OK with him getting another year, I don't love it, but the Rams aren't far away, I just don't like the idea of starting over unless there is a for sure upgrade out there.

And even he does suck and get fired next year it helps our cause for hunting for an attractive coach, it at least shows that this organization is patient and willing to give you adequate time to build a winner if we gave a guy 5 years before we finally pulled the plug. Unlike most other NFL teams today.

But PFT are kinda dicks, the nuclear bomb quote was funny, but still a dick comment.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hitting the reset button every few years has always been the path to building a consistent stable NFL franchise.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I would say that staying the course is the way to build a successful franchise, but in this case no team has ever stayed such a poor course for this long except the Bengals once. And that guy was done mid season. So after week 6 or so of 2016, we'll be in virgin territory. We actually have no evidence to support the notion that a four time losing coach can turn it around in year 5. Nobody has tolerated losing that long to get to that point.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I would say that staying the course is the way to build a successful franchise, but in this case no team has ever stayed such a poor course for this long except the Bengals once. And that guy was done mid season. So after week 6 or so of 2016, we'll be in virgin territory. We actually have no evidence to support the notion that a four time losing coach can turn it around in year 5. Nobody has tolerated losing that long to get to that point.

Sam Bradford. If he lived up to a fraction of the hype we wouldn't be having this conversation.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Sam Bradford. If he lived up to a fraction of the hype we wouldn't be having this conversation.

True, but remove the name Sam Bradford and replace it with Jeff Fisher and your statement still works.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I can tell most of those people posting the negative comments are coming from someone I would not allow in my life. Calling for anyone to lose their job fits directly in the premise of not throwing stones. Sad that people think it is ok to do that with anyone let alone a guy trying to run a franchise in professional sports. as if the only thing that matters is their own personal gratification that comes from something they have absolutely no input or control towards.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stan kept Fish around and I'm not gonna lie... Even though I knew he deserved to be fired I still think he can be the lynchpin of a winning organization if he simply does a better job with his offensive hires. And thus far this offseason he seems to know that, so I'm all in on season 5.

And I'm with @Dieter the Brock ... People crackin on my team that aren't fellow fans p!$$ me off. For me it's kinda like self righteous types, really get under my skin.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And I'm with @Dieter the Brock ... People crackin on my team that aren't fellow fans p!$$ me off. For me it's kinda like self righteous types, really get under my skin.
" It's like, I can 'Bad Mouth' my wife, but IF you do it I'll break your Face!!"
I'm all for letting Fisher Finish his contract. I think we are a QB away from making the Play-Off's!!

GO RAMS!!
addon.jpg

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams are closer to a playoff appearance with Fisher rather than with a new coach...that being said if the Rams truly want a "dynasty" or any extended multiple year win streak or a trip to the SB they need a new skipper at the helm. I also think we can all agree that if the Rams fall short of a 500 season next season Fisher is done. So Jeff!!!!!! Time to make the changes you have as of yet been hesitant to make. It's win time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the Rams are closer to a playoff appearance with Fisher rather than with a new coach...that being said if the Rams truly want a "dynasty" or any extended multiple year win streak or a trip to the SB they need a new skipper at the helm. I also think we can all agree that if the Rams fall short of a 500 season next season Fisher is done. So Jeff!!!!!! Time to make the changes you have as of yet been hesitant to make. It's win time.

Even though I know it will never happen, I'll say it again... IF he would hire Martz he would have a dynasty on his hands because both coordinators would get it done and neither would be hired away.

IF he hits on OC and drafts a good QB of the future this team still might be a dynasty even with him in charge. He's a good overall head coach who can maximize defensive talent, he's just not gonna make up for bad coaches and QBing on the offensive side of the ball. The obvious problem, however, is let's say he hits on DeFilippo... Dude is gonna immediately get poached away for a head coaching position.

Goes back to what I mentioned before about having a good strategy approach as well at the OC level: locking up guys for either side of the ball who are not going to be head coaching hot names and who can give you top-notch coordinator performance without being poached is one of the most important facets to winning multiple seasons.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it wrong to want Lovie Smith to be in charge of my beloved Rams?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lovie do a less than spectacular job when he was the Rams DC?

As far as Jeff Fisher goes; I'm one of the ones here who pushes for positivity over negativity because that's the way I roll most of the time, but in the case of JF I'm pretty much positived out. That said, as long as he's the Rams HC I will continue to hope that 2016 will finally be the year of the Rams turnaround.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-panthers-reaping-the-rewards-of-continuity/

Dave Gettleman: Panthers reaping the rewards of continuity
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 7, 2016

Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman obviously didn’t expect to be 15-1, and didn’t expect to be getting as much praise as he’s getting.

But as he reflected on the construction of the team that took the top seed in the NFC playoffs, he was careful to point out the benefit of the stability he inherited.

Of the 10 players the Panthers are sending to the Pro Bowl, Gettleman inherited eight of them from previous General Manager Marty Hurney, along with a coach of the year in Ron Rivera. So without having to overhaul the roster, he’s been able to get their cap situation back into order and establish the Panthers as a perennial contender (having won three straight division titles).

“As I have said a number of times, Marty left some really good pieces, and through the draft and I think we have made some very judicious signings in free agency.,” Gettleman said, via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review. “We had the cap issue at first and we’re working through that. We’ve been able to extend the guys we feel are the core — Cam [Newton], Luke [Kuechly] and Greg [Olsen] and TD [Thomas Davis].

“You always have work to do but I think we have used every avenue — we’ve traded for players, taken guys off the waiver wire and practice squads. We’ve used every avenue available to us. [Pro personnel director] Mark Koncz and his staff on his pro side and [college scouting director] Donny Gregory and his staff have done a great job.”

Gettleman has been able to dig the team out of salary cap problems, problems which stemmed from owner Jerry Richardson’s CBA-drive pre-lockout decision to not spend money, followed by spending all of it at once after the lockout.

Now, Gettleman’s problem will be retaining key pieces, as cornerback Josh Norman (another inherited piece) is on the verge of becoming an unrestricted free agent, and defensive tackle Kawann Short is entering the final year of his rookie deal next year.

But a large part of the reason they’re viable now and into the future is the stability, as he stuck with Rivera when many wouldn’t have, and is now enjoying the rewards.

“The Steelers, the Giants have proven what continuity does,” Gettleman said. “I haven’t had one moment where I have regretted anything in terms of Mr. (Richardson) keeping Ron and working with Ron has been just a joy. We communicate and the continuity is huge. Again there are so many moving parts to what we’re doing that when you disperse more moving parts it just doesn’t work.”

With seven teams changing coaches this offseason, that’s a lesson other teams might do well to learn.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lovie do a less than spectacular job when he was the Rams DC?

he did a pretty good job. the rams d was great in 01 except at the end of both halves of superbowl 36, where they looked completely lost. and they were a turnover making machine in 03 until the playoff game where they were just meh.