Peter King: Rams Must Trade Up, Draft Quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I can't absolve him of the pick before half-time. He blew the read. I can't see the All-22 so I don't know what Alabama did to disguise the coverage but he read iso man on the single receiver and threw back-shoulder. Instead, Alabama had hi-lo coverage with the CB trailing and the safety coming over the top. Which is why he threw the ball straight to the CB.

He should have checked off to his next progression or thrown it away. But if he's going to throw that ball, he's gotta loft it over the outside shoulder. But he blew the read. Like I said, don't know what happened. Not sure if he simply missed the safety pre-snap or if Alabama tricked him.
See that's interesting cause I thought Cook saw the defender the entire time and was trying to throw it over the shoulder and it was inaccurate due to just trying desperately to get the ball into the end zone -- which I personally have no problem with

I'd really like to see that play again now with your info in mind, I keep reading here and there how Cook tends to be inaccurate - with the exception of that horrible throw I have yet to see it

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See that's interesting cause I thought Cook saw the defender the entire time and was trying to throw it over the shoulder and it was inaccurate due to just trying desperately to get the ball into the end zone -- which I personally have no problem with

I'd really like to see that play again now with your info in mind, I keep reading here and there how Cook tends to be inaccurate - with the exception of that horrible throw I have yet to see it

Sure:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14477589

I think he's trying to go back-shoulder and is expecting Jones to be running stride for stride with Burbridge without safety help. If that happens, Burbridge knows to stop when it's thrown and he grabs that ball right at the goal-line. But Alabama sneaks their safety over the top which allows Jones to take up a trail position and play the QB. Which is why Burbridge keeps running because he knows the back-shoulder throw isn't there.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Wow, you guys are really beating the hell out of this horse!!!

I gave up trying to bring a dose of reality in regards of the odds and the merits of trading away the farm, dog, and wife to move up to #1 if that was even remotely possible.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, you guys are really beating the hell out of this horse!!!

I gave up trying to bring a dose of reality in regards of the odds and the merits of trading away the farm, dog, and wife to move up to #1 if that was even remotely possible.

Yea, let's not do this.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

looks like the cowboys want everyone to think they're going qb at #4.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ith-drafting-a-qb/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Tony Romo has talked to Jerry Jones, is cool with drafting a QB
Posted by Darin Gantt on January 5, 2016, 6:20 AM EST
503288356.jpg
Getty Images
Tony Romo still thinks he can come back at a high level, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones believes that too.

But after watching another season go off the rails when he was injured, both sides know what’s coming next.

Via Todd Archer of ESPN.com, Romo said he’s already had a conversation with Jones about the future at the position, and is fine with using the No. 4 overall pick on a quarterback if he’s the best fit for the Cowboys.

“We’re going to evaluate everybody and the organization is going to look at who to take and they’re going to take the best player,” Romo said. “If the best player there is a quarterback, then that’s what our team needs. Our team needs good players. That’s what we need. And if it’s the best player at a different position, . . . I’m just obviously a player on the football team and I don’t have to make those decisions, and I’m glad.

“My job is go out and get better and make sure this team wins next year. And I’m going to do everything in my power to ensure that.”

Thanks to going 4-12, the Cowboys are in position to draft the kind of impact passer they haven’t since Troy Aikman. In fact, they’ve barely used any picks at all on quarterbacks, with the last being a 2009 fourth-rounder on Stephen McGee. The only other quarterbacks they’ve drafted at all under Jones are Aikman (No. 1 overall, 1989), Steve Walsh (supplemental draft, 1989), Bill Musgrave (fourth round, 1991) and Quincy Carter (second round, 2001).

But with Romo turning 36 this offseason and coming off a pair of broken collarbones, it’s clearly time. That’s why Jones and Romo sat down the night before the Dec. 27 Bills game and talked about it.

So now you can all start filling in your mock drafts, for what appears inevitable.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I am amazed at so many people saying the Rams need a QB, WR's, and TE. The OL is the part that is still horribly broken. Give the offense a solid OL and see what happens. I think Keenum is starting to mature into a decent QB and his stats show that too.
Which brings me to my next point. IMHO I do not think the Rams OL coach is doing a very good job. I see Barksdale in SD starting as the LOT and doing a pretty good job. I see the Rams OL still not doing well especially as a unit. I want a new OL coach.
For the draft I would not trade up unless they are absolutely positive the QB is going to come in and start and play well NOW. If not I take the BPA or even trade up a few spots if they have another Donald, Gurley, or Tavon pegged. Then I concentrate on OL, LB, WR, or any other other defensive player they think stands out. I believe this defense is on the verge of becoming the best ever next season.
The Rams also need to sign ALL the upcoming FA defensive players on their team. This is the No. 1 priority in the off season.
They also need to take a long hard look at G Rob. It's been 2 years and he is not playing near as well as he should be by now.
I don't know what this guy is talking about. The Rams desperately need a QB. In fact the Rams should draft 2 QB's. That's how bad they need a QB.