Peter King: Rams Must Trade Up, Draft Quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
@Akrasian
I asked you to find middle ground and instead, you went out of your way to insult my stance and reiterate your stance that things are going to happen in the future exactly as you believe. Not to mention the fact that you mischaracterized and misstated multiple points from me. It's pretty clear you can't take a step back and discuss this rationally. Hell, you won't even accept my contention that different NFL teams will evaluate Goff differently. So I'll just leave you with this:

That excites me a little. If Cleveland is one of the teams that prefers Lynch and takes him over Goff, we could jump in just after them. Not sure cuz I'm not looking at the draft order, but the next QB needy team is San Fran at 5 right? Maybe we can jump in at #4 and get Goff. I'd only make this trade though if he was on the board and team #4 was on the clock. Give them a quick ring ring and inquire at least. But Lynch had a brutal bowl game, maybe the tides will switch.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Conner Cook in a Ram uniform would be pretty cool

He looked bad in his bowl game. Though his bad o line and receiver drops could have played into that. But he could have had a handful of picks in that game. Accuracy was a bit off too. I've only seen him play about three times this year though. So i could have just missed the good games.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yeah which is why he might be sitting there at #18

On that pick before halftime, it wasn't a pretty pass but he had to make something happen - that drive leading up to that pick was nice. I think that Alabama defense was just the difference, they look unstoppable

From the guys we are talking about Goff, Lynch, Cook or Wentz, I really like Cook the best pro prospect - but I'm just going by what I see in games and on YouTube

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Marcus Mariota, RGIII, Derek Carr, and Andy Dalton all came out of spread offenses in the past 5 years and played at a high enough level that the 2015 Rams would have made the playoffs if they were our starter.

In fact, Paxton Lynch played in the same system that Andy Dalton played in. Guess where Andy Dalton's team ended up his rookie year? The playoffs.

Fact is that Mannion is more ready to play. But it's not about being ready to play. It's about being the better QB. Nick Foles was more ready to play last year than any of these guys will be next year...but he was a far lesser QB. If Mannion is more NFL ready and the better QB, he'll play. He'll win the competition.

I do expect one of those kids to step in and take us to the playoffs.
Great post. Throw in Joe Flacco from 7 years ago and you have a 1-AA QB, out of the spread who QB'd his team into the playoffs.
Of course that team had a dominant D and great running game.... Oh, wait a minute

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I am amazed at so many people saying the Rams need a QB, WR's, and TE. The OL is the part that is still horribly broken. Give the offense a solid OL and see what happens. I think Keenum is starting to mature into a decent QB and his stats show that too.
Which brings me to my next point. IMHO I do not think the Rams OL coach is doing a very good job. I see Barksdale in SD starting as the LOT and doing a pretty good job. I see the Rams OL still not doing well especially as a unit. I want a new OL coach.
For the draft I would not trade up unless they are absolutely positive the QB is going to come in and start and play well NOW. If not I take the BPA or even trade up a few spots if they have another Donald, Gurley, or Tavon pegged. Then I concentrate on OL, LB, WR, or any other other defensive player they think stands out. I believe this defense is on the verge of becoming the best ever next season.
The Rams also need to sign ALL the upcoming FA defensive players on their team. This is the No. 1 priority in the off season.
They also need to take a long hard look at G Rob. It's been 2 years and he is not playing near as well as he should be by now.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's not out of the realm of possibility the Browns cut ties with Johnny Problem and draft Goff
It's not out of the realm of possibility the Cowboys take Goff.
The niners? Certainly.
It's not out of the realm of possibility a team like the 4 win Chargers trade their franchise QB for a 1st and 2nd, move up and take Goff.
I don't buy the argument just two of the top 10 teams are QB-needy. Practically every team in the NFL is one play away from being QB needy. Or one year away from being QB needy. That being said, if the Rams think they need a QB, I hope they find a way to get "their guy".

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMO, it doesn't makes total sense for the Cowboys to pass on a potential franchise QB (if they see one) for a rookie at another position in hopes that said rookie is going to help them enough short term to get over the hump.
I believe a rookie LB could really help the Cowboys as much if not more than a rookie QB...Romo isn't going anywhere unless he's injured again. I don't consider a broken collar bone a serious injury....Their secondary could also use some help. Rookies on defense can make an impact...

Your problem is that you assume that all these things in the Rams' favor are reasonable, as if other teams don't have their own interests in mind. it's sad, since you're normally not a fan-boy. But in these threads your arguments are on that level. Here's the thing - the Browns have long wanted to get an elite QB, and the reasonable thing is to think they will try to do so in this draft. Certainly nothing in the past two years would make it seem like Manziel is the answer. Or do they normally bench the answer? And why wouldn't the Cowboys want an elite QB to develop for a year or two? The last opportunity they had to draft and develop an elite QB was Aikman, now they have a chance, their starter had two major injuries this past season, and his contract is such that he is going to be amazingly expensive in two years anyway. And why would a team trade for a late teens draft pick (as you have suggested repeatedly), when they can get an elite level prospect plus another pick or two from other teams? And if Goff's bowl game was so fantastic that it showed he was an elite level prospect, a can't miss type - why wouldn't other teams at least recognize him as a very good prospect, and act accordingly?
Lots of stuff here...I got a laugh outta the fan-boy comment....
Browns and elite QB's....Weeden now Johnny....I actually think Johnny has done well, on the field...Off the field...another story. But wouldn't surprise me to see him under center in a Browns uni...Wouldn't surprise me to see him holding a clipboard on the Dallas sideline either...
Like I said above, Dallas isn't really looking for a future QB IMO...In fact, with Romo, they are a dangerous team, ready to win right now. Their top picks should go to strengthening their roster. They need starters...A top RB...A top CB... A top LB... They should definitely battle for the NFC East crown....
I didn't really understand this question:
And why would a team trade for a late teens draft pick (as you have suggested repeatedly), when they can get an elite level prospect plus another pick or two from other teams?
Goff has been pretty steady all season.. It's a shame he played AF in a bowl game and NOT a top team from the SEC...Or at least a top defense...But some teams still won't like his size ( skinny frame) or his offense (spread)...he does have talent that should be obvious to all, but opinions are like assholes...everybody has one....

Memphis Ram

Legend
I believe a rookie LB could really help the Cowboys as much if not more than a rookie QB...Romo isn't going anywhere unless he's injured again. I don't consider a broken collar bone a serious injury....Their secondary could also use some help. Rookies on defense.

Romo isn't going anywhere? Maybe not in 2016, but he'll be 36 year old in a few months and had back issues prior to the recent broken collar bone. How much longer has he got? Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Jerry Jones doesn't see this issue.

Plus, LBs can typically be had later in the draft. Their best LB, Sean Lee, was even a 2nd round selection. Some rookie defenders can have an impact, but most do not. Sure, they fill the position with a body, but that doesn't mean that they necessarily play well enough to be considered impact players.

Memphis Ram

Legend

On that pick before halftime, it wasn't a pretty pass but he had to make something happen - that drive leading up to that pick was nice. I think that Alabama defense was just the difference, they look unstoppable

From the guys we are talking about Goff, Lynch, Cook or Wentz, I really like Cook the best pro prospect - but I'm just going by what I see in games and on YouTube

Which games have you watched? I'd like to watch them, too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
he'll be 36 year old in a few months and had back issues prior to the recent broken collar bone. How much longer has he got?
36 is the new 26....where you been memphis? :rolllaugh:
3-5 years....I'd guesstimate
LB's like Ragland & Smith....1st rounders...impact (maybe) players...CB's like Mackensie Alexander & Jalen Ramsey...1st rounders...impact (maybe) players....instead of a QB that would most likely sit for 2-3 more years, I'd get a guy that can help the team in 2016 & 2017....

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/connor-cook/

I liked his game vs Michigan...even his game vs Bama, you could see some things...

Memphis Ram

Legend
36 is the new 26....where you been memphis? :rolllaugh:
3-5 years....I'd guesstimate
LB's like Ragland & Smith....1st rounders...impact (maybe) players...CB's like Mackensie Alexander & Jalen Ramsey...1st rounders...impact (maybe) players....instead of a QB that would most likely sit for 2-3 more years, I'd get a guy that can help the team in 2016 & 2017....

36 years old WITH his recent injury history? Okie Dokie.

BTW, Smith tore up his knee in the Bowl Game yesterday.
Alexander has yet to intercept one pass in college.
Ramsey is a talent, but is he a FS or a CB in the NFL?
I like Ragland. But, is he swift enough to fit the Cowboys defense?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

the Rutgers game, Michigan and the beating they took against Alabama - the rest unfortunately are highlights on YouTube which if course don't give the big picture

Do you know if there a good source for seeing entire games after the fact? I am so much more interested I the QB position this year than most - hahah especially with this fun debate over Goff !

Pretty much I follow USC by default and really like high school recruiting, but as you know those 4 and 5 star recruits don't always pan out. I really hope Max Browne becomes a great one - he's the guy I'd like to see in Rams blue and gold

Anyway never thought much of Conner Cook until recently thanks to these posts so know I'm looking at him in retrospect

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
BTW, Smith tore up his knee in the Bowl Game yesterday.
Yeah, I saw that....Was it an ACL? I also saw Ronnie Stanley go down on the last play too...Someone rolled up on his leg/ankle....

Ramsey probably a corner...first few years...Alexander has skills...how many PBU's? Ragland would work great here, I assume he could play anywhere.

36...recent injury...behind the reputed best o-line in the game....I'll take that chance...Maybe they add that back from the Ohio State...???

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Dieter the Brock
@LACHAMP46

Got to watch the Michigan game, but it's hard to imagine that he showed much completing only 46.2% of his passes. Sounds like the same inconsistent player I've watched for a couple years now.

Draftbreakdown, youtube, KODI, ESPN3, etc. Plus, I usually just scouring the internet and look for team message boards. Oftentimes a poster will post a link that one couldn't otherwise find.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Got to watch the Michigan game, but it's hard to imagine that he showed much completing only 46.2% of his passes. Sounds like the same inconsistent player I've watched for a couple years now.
hmm, resident draft-guru @jrry32 and I were discussing this... http://ramsondemand.com/threads/wentz-headed-to-sr-bowl.41503/page-5
a lot of his passes are not completed, but if you really look at him, his game can't be summed up in just stats. Just like I didn't think Hackenberg's game today is just stats. I like to see QB's struggle versus superior competition & pressure..it can simulate a pro-game and how a relative kid may respond. Lynch, Cook, Brissett, and a few other QB's struggled this bowl season..But the type of throws...down the field, versus short outs....slants...and accuracy in trying to complete these passes, I like to watch. I saw a couple of Hackenberg passes that were too hot, but that's a touch thing, and I'm not really worried about that. I saw some serious accuracy stuff from Lynch, weak out throws...inaccurate dump off passes..Maybe it's footwork, but that kinda stuff bothers me...and when the QB NEVER tries a deep pass..not the bomb but posts & deep outs...just doesn't look like a pro QB...We have that now..Case
Cook can make all the throws..but under pressure he'll struggle, like a lot of them.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
the Rutgers game, Michigan and the beating they took against Alabama - the rest unfortunately are highlights on YouTube which if course don't give the big picture

Do you know if there a good source for seeing entire games after the fact? I am so much more interested I the QB position this year than most - hahah especially with this fun debate over Goff !

Pretty much I follow USC by default and really like high school recruiting, but as you know those 4 and 5 star recruits don't always pan out. I really hope Max Browne becomes a great one - he's the guy I'd like to see in Rams blue and gold

Anyway never thought much of Conner Cook until recently thanks to these posts so know I'm looking at him in retrospect

A question in general about Conner Cook ; what makes people think he's better than Sean Mannion ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Dieter the Brock
@LACHAMP46

Draftbreakdown, youtube, KODI, ESPN3, etc. Plus, I usually just scouring the internet and look for team message boards. Oftentimes a poster will post a link that one couldn't otherwise find.

Watch the game. Trust me. That was more a testament to Michigan's defense than Cook's play. This video should have most of the throws (I don't know if it has all):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wetPcwuns0k

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't absolve him of the pick before half-time. He blew the read. I can't see the All-22 so I don't know what Alabama did to disguise the coverage but he read iso man on the single receiver and threw back-shoulder. Instead, Alabama had hi-lo coverage with the CB trailing and the safety coming over the top. Which is why he threw the ball straight to the CB.

He should have checked off to his next progression or thrown it away. But if he's going to throw that ball, he's gotta loft it over the outside shoulder. But he blew the read. Like I said, don't know what happened. Not sure if he simply missed the safety pre-snap or if Alabama tricked him.