Peter King: Football morning in America

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I wouldn't call Cooks a disappointment just from the standpoint of production. It's easy to devalue productive receivers until you don't have them. When you have Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin its going to be real hard to get any offense going. That said, I think Cooks is currently expendable with Woods, Kupp, Reynolds and Everett on board.

Gurley definitely struggled to see holes last game, it was noticeable, and he is not physically the same player in my opinion. But the crappy Oline all year may have to do with his lack of vision, too much to think about after getting the ball for example.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Merlin, I enjoy your posts, not coincidentally because I tend to agree with you about 95% of the time. The above sentence (might) fall into that 5% category, though.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but— I think the Rams see Cooks as a “game changer.” Or, more accurately, as a “game plan changer.” IMHO, not only is Cooks an extremely talented player, he also fundamentally changes HOW the Rams play on offfense. I’ll never forget the video of the first time Goff hit Cooks on a long bomb in practice— McVay was going absolutely nuts on the sideline, saying something like, “THAT is why we traded for this guy!”

IMHO Cooks is far and away the best deep threat on the Rams. Kupp is an elite receiver but not a burner... same with Woods, to a certain extent. IMHO Cooks can impact a game even when he doesn’t make a catch— just the THREAT of what Cooks can do significantly expands the Rams’ scheme options.

For the above reason, I think McVay probably sees a Cooks as virtually ‘untouchable.’ I really can’t see McVay trading Cooks... he’s just too integral.

Has Cooks not performed up to his contract? Maybe. Probably.

Is he indispensable to this offense?
Maybe. Probably.

Would b glad to hear your thoughts on this, Merlin, cuz I’m sure you’ve put ten times more thought into this than I have. Cheers.
I don't think I put any more thought into this than anyone else 34. We all have our opinions and mine is that first off Cooks isn't nearly as good when a DB is physical with him, i.e. the better DBs that don't fear his speed.

He also has a very small catch radius, and his hands (which are very good) seem to get really bad once he has to extend for a catch.

Lastly he's not very good in contested catches. All three of these things were on display in the Super Bowl and part of the reason I cooled on him afterward. He is a good receiver, excellent at stretching the field as you pointed out. But when we start looking at production (particularly in big games) vs cost, I think he's being paid more than he's worth to this offense.

Woody is a better wideout than him. And Kupp is too. Both will need to be paid more in the future, particularly Kupp who we have to keep. Stretching the field can be found for a more affordable rate IMO.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I don't think I put any more thought into this than anyone else 34. We all have our opinions and mine is that first off Cooks isn't nearly as good when a DB is physical with him, i.e. the better DBs that don't fear his speed.

He also has a very small catch radius, and his hands (which are very good) seem to get really bad once he has to extend for a catch.

Lastly he's not very good in contested catches. All three of these things were on display in the Super Bowl and part of the reason I cooled on him afterward. He is a good receiver, excellent at stretching the field as you pointed out. But when we start looking at production (particularly in big games) vs cost, I think he's being paid more than he's worth to this offense.

Woody is a better wideout than him. And Kupp is too. Both will need to be paid more in the future, particularly Kupp who we have to keep. Stretching the field can be found for a more affordable rate IMO.
Yeah, maybe I’m biased in favor of Cooks because in my mind I’ll always compare him to the guy he replaced, Sammy “Flat Earther Serpent King” Watkins.

Watkins has far less production at a higher cost, so I’ve always been thankful for Cooks.

Lastly, I think Cooks is very unlikely to be traded given his salary structure, but I’ll leave that to the cap gurus.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
You can get a Ted Ginn Jr type every year to replace Cooks. Maybe Reynolds can get a little better and can be his replacement?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I wouldn't call Cooks a disappointment just from the standpoint of production. It's easy to devalue productive receivers until you don't have them. When you have Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin its going to be real hard to get any offense going. That said, I think Cooks is currently expendable with Woods, Kupp, Reynolds and Everett on board.

Gurley definitely struggled to see holes last game, it was noticeable, and he is not physically the same player in my opinion. But the crappy Oline all year may have to do with his lack of vision, too much to think about after getting the ball for example.

Sometimes a RB's "vision" is a matter of knowing what the OL is going to do and anticipating that what is a sliver will open up and likewise, what looks like a hole will close fast.

I wonder how different for Gurley the mean, median and mode are for his runs. I'm just curious.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

there's no way the rams let kupp walk. he is just as important as donald and ramsey.

i don't know who they will ship out but kupp stays.

IMO, Kupp is like another coach being on the field with his depth of understanding of how to read defenses,

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams will definitely place a high priority on Kupp. Likely trading another high salary payroll-spot to make it work.

Gurley, Cooks, Woods... even Higbee’s deal can be horse traded by the time Kupp is due.

IF it were to come to that. Lots to play out between now and then.

dang

Legend
Merlin, I enjoy your posts, not coincidentally because I tend to agree with you about 95% of the time. The above sentence (might) fall into that 5% category, though.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but— I think the Rams see Cooks as a “game changer.” Or, more accurately, as a “game plan changer.” IMHO, not only is Cooks an extremely talented player, he also fundamentally changes HOW the Rams play on offfense. I’ll never forget the video of the first time Goff hit Cooks on a long bomb in practice— McVay was going absolutely nuts on the sideline, saying something like, “THAT is why we traded for this guy!”

IMHO Cooks is far and away the best deep threat on the Rams. Kupp is an elite receiver but not a burner... same with Woods, to a certain extent. IMHO Cooks can impact a game even when he doesn’t make a catch— just the THREAT of what Cooks can do significantly expands the Rams’ scheme options.

For the above reason, I think McVay probably sees a Cooks as virtually ‘untouchable.’ I really can’t see McVay trading Cooks... he’s just too integral.

Maybe. Probably.

Would b glad to hear your thoughts on this, Merlin, cuz I’m sure you’ve put ten times more thought into this than I have. Cheers.
Cooks was brought in specifically to replace Watkins. Cooks as a burner and route runner is more potent than Watkins was. Watkins hands especially in the red zone are missed.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Cooks had over 1200 yards last year - he is amazing.

Gurley still the jury is out, BUT and it is a big BUT the oline sucks and has opened a fraction of the holes they did last year. You put any running back in this situation and they would have a tough time. Combined with being behind alot also he"s on a carry count which is good and bad.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Cooks had over 1200 yards last year - he is amazing.

Gurley still the jury is out, BUT and it is a big BUT the oline sucks and has opened a fraction of the holes they did last year. You put any running back in this situation and they would have a tough time. Combined with being behind alot also he"s on a carry count which is good and bad.

Here’s the thing I don’t get about Gurley. Here’s a guy who prior to this year didn’t just put up All-Pro numbers but Hall of Fame type numbers.

I mean...as a player with that kind of talent and the legacy you could leave as a player for the team and coaching staff you play for-where’s the passion?
How do you accept the role you are currently in with the talent and ability to be a Hall of Fame player?

And I don’t want to hear about injuries. The guy suits up every game. I mean look at the players years ago. How many concussions did Walter Payton play with? Ever see Earl Campbell and what his knees looked like every week and what he went through to play every week? Didn’t Emmet Smith play with a separated shoulder in a playoff game against the Giants? I could go on and on about what injuries guys played with back then as opposed to what these guys go through today. There is no way I see Gurley’s ailments being anymore significant than what prior players have played with-if anything I would say his “injury issue” pales in comparison.

I also don’t want to hear about our crappy o line as an excuse. I’ll admit it’s not the greatest but there are plenty of Hall of Fane RBs who played on crappy teams with crappier offensive lines and they were still able to perform at the highest levels.

It’s a shame because I just don’t think this guy has the heart to want to be great on a consistent basis. Sure he has his moments but after the payday he got he should play like an animal every week. He’s no Steven Jackson.

I think McVay sees this too and that’s why Gurley’s involvement in the offense has dropped dramatically. McVay comes from an old school football family and he’s probably tired of Gurley going through the motions.

Rant over.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Here’s the thing I don’t get about Gurley. Here’s a guy who prior to this year didn’t just put up All-Pro numbers but Hall of Fame type numbers.

I mean...as a player with that kind of talent and the legacy you could leave as a player for the team and coaching staff you play for-where’s the passion?
How do you accept the role you are currently in with the talent and ability to be a Hall of Fame player?

And I don’t want to hear about injuries. The guy suits up every game. I mean look at the players years ago. How many concussions did Walter Payton play with? Ever see Earl Campbell and what his knees looked like every week and what he went through to play every week? Didn’t Emmet Smith play with a separated shoulder in a playoff game against the Giants? I could go on and on about what injuries guys played with back then as opposed to what these guys go through today. There is no way I see Gurley’s ailments being anymore significant than what prior players have played with-if anything I would say his “injury issue” pales in comparison.

I also don’t want to hear about our crappy o line as an excuse. I’ll admit it’s not the greatest but there are plenty of Hall of Fane RBs who played on crappy teams with crappier offensive lines and they were still able to perform at the highest levels.

It’s a shame because I just don’t think this guy has the heart to want to be great on a consistent basis. Sure he has his moments but after the payday he got he should play like an animal every week. He’s no Steven Jackson.

I think McVay sees this too and that’s why Gurley’s involvement in the offense has dropped dramatically. McVay comes from an old school football family and he’s probably tired of Gurley going through the motions.

Rant over..

I don't agree with any of the above...none of it

Ram65

Legend

Maybe. Probably.

You can get a Ted Ginn Jr type every year to replace Cooks. Maybe Reynolds can get a little better and can be his replacement?

I thought the Rams might get Cooks to sign at a lower rate than the $16.2 Million a year. That was the going rate and Watkins who can't stay healthy got $16 Million for only three years where Cooks got a five-year extension with one year remaining on his original deal for a total of six years. He was only 24 so the Rams locked him up long term in his prime. New deals are passing Cooks numbers all the time.

Cooks is what he is a fast smaller WR who catches passes everywhere. He gets yards on bubble screens and runs. He isn't afraid to go over the middle. He gets deep which opens things up for the other pass catches as he is often double team. Defenses have to account for his speed. Goff has missed him a number of times on deep passes. Cooks did step up when Kupp went down.

Cooks had 8 catches for 120 yards in the Super Bowl where yards were hard to come by for the Rams. The non-interference call and the missed late throw by Goff may have been made by bigger stronger WRs but, weren't easy plays to make. Cooks has missed a couple of higher out throws this year. Last year he made some tough catches on high and low passes. Cooks said he was working on getting stronger this offseason.

Overall there isn't going to be cap savings next year or much the year after by trading Cooks. He wouldn't be easy to replace a WR with his skill set. It takes time to develop most WRs with Kupp a great exception. Funny Cooks is two months younger than Kupp. He already helped the Rams make the Super Bowl. Rams will have to find a way to resign Kupp and keep Cooks.

Last edited: