Perspective is badly needed here

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He definitely needs to learn from this season. He is almost Martz like in his stubbornness to adapt at times. There have been games where he does brilliantly though. But then there’s games like the SB where he seemingly refuses to try anything at all until the very end when it’s too late.

A decent twitter read about the game. Goes on forever so not linking all of them but this is the first one.

View: https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1092791873092141056?s=21

Well his Ex OC & his QB coach just got HC positions. I give McVay so much credit for the way the organization has turned around with him a HC !!
McVay at least protects his QB to the point he doesn’t get hurt or take any unnecessary hits. Martz got Warner destroyed . Excellent point though about not changing there play calls until to late. - thxs

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Huh?? How did he get outcoached by Payton??

That simply makes no sense, given the outcome and the way Payton had an emotional breakdown over the non-call, which trickled down to his players.

I'll accept he got outcoached in the Super Bowl, but to say he got outcoached in the NFC Championship, particularly after the Rams won by coming back from a 13 point deficit in an extremely hostile environment simply defies logic.

To each his own . I think McVay needs to go for the win on the 1 yard line. The Rams should have lost down the stretch. I know there were some real bad penalties against the Saints that didn’t get called.
As far as the INT by Brees in OT,the ball was not deflected so it could have been a PI ?
Then to loss on a 58 yard field goal is not exactly melting down either. The Rams won that I’m glad for though McVay still didn’t do an excellent job of play calling. Still wonder how you take Gurley out of 2 games after being the opoy & also having another opoy season again. I know he won a lot of fantasy fans games.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
To each his own . I think McVay needs to go for the win on the 1 yard line. The Rams should have lost down the stretch. I know there were some real bad penalties against the Saints that didn’t get called.
As far as the INT by Brees in OT,the ball was not deflected so it could have been a PI ?
Then to loss on a 58 yard field goal is not exactly melting down either. The Rams won that I’m glad for though McVay still didn’t do an excellent job of play calling. Still wonder how you take Gurley out of 2 games after being the opoy & also having another opoy season again. I know he won a lot of fantasy fans games.

The officiating was equally bad for both sides. So don't bring that into it.

Payton's team had the ball at the 13 with less than two minutes to play and his opposition having only two timeouts. He could have literally had Brees do three kneeldowns, and the third would have taken a big chunk off the clock. Then they could have kicked a chip shot field goal and forced the Rams to drive the field with no timeouts. Instead, he got greedy, threw on 2 of three plays, and left about 1:40 on the clock with the Rams having a timeout left. After the PI no call, he simply wouldn't let it go, becoming completely discombobulated, and it definitely affected his team. Go look at how Michael Thomas reacted on the INT - not only does he push off, but instead of trying to locate the ball, he *immediately* starts play acting for the ref, looking for the flag. That's a direct result of Payton continuing to harp on the officials and complain about the non-call long after it was over. As I said, Payton melted down, refusing to get over the call, continuing to complain to the officials even into the overtime. Instead of focusing on the situation in front of him, he focused on what was already done and couldn't be changed.

Arguing about McVay not going for it on the 1 - especially in a game we won, is futile. But consider the risk if he doesn't get it - the momentum swings significantly at that point, and the Rams are still behind. Instead he played the percentages, tied the game and didn't give the Saints a momentum boost. You can speculate what might have happened had he decided to go for it, but we know what actually did happen when he didn't - we tied the game, didn't give the Saints a much needed momentum boost, and we eventually won.

As for not using Gurley that much in the game, you obviously haven't been paying attention to his health status. He's been playing hurt, as we all know, despite the denials. If he was fully healthy, I'm sure he would have been used more. His fantasy stats from earlier in the season are completely irrelevant to the argument.

And on the INT in overtime, the only PI could have been offensive. Johnson had position, Thomas turned into him and pushed him over. Even the official on the broadcast said that, but he also noted that don't call PI on balls that float like that due to hits on the QB.

If you want to say Payton outcoached McVay in the NFCC, fine. I think most posters here will take that kind of "outcoached" any day, when the end result is us winning the NFCC in the opponents house.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The officiating was equally bad for both sides. So don't bring that into it.

Payton's team had the ball at the 13 with less than two minutes to play and his opposition having only two timeouts. He could have literally had Brees do three kneeldowns, and the third would have taken a big chunk off the clock. Then they could have kicked a chip shot field goal and forced the Rams to drive the field with no timeouts. Instead, he got greedy, threw on 2 of three plays, and left about 1:40 on the clock with the Rams having a timeout left. After the PI no call, he simply wouldn't let it go, becoming completely discombobulated, and it definitely affected his team. Go look at how Michael Thomas reacted on the INT - not only does he push off, but instead of trying to locate the ball, he *immediately* starts play acting for the ref, looking for the flag. That's a direct result of Payton continuing to harp on the officials and complain about the non-call long after it was over. As I said, Payton melted down, refusing to get over the call, continuing to complain to the officials even into the overtime. Instead of focusing on the situation in front of him, he focused on what was already done and couldn't be changed.

Arguing about McVay not going for it on the 1 - especially in a game we won, is futile. But consider the risk if he doesn't get it - the momentum swings significantly at that point, and the Rams are still behind. Instead he played the percentages, tied the game and didn't give the Saints a momentum boost. You can speculate what might have happened had he decided to go for it, but we know what actually did happen when he didn't - we tied the game, didn't give the Saints a much needed momentum boost, and we eventually won.

As for not using Gurley that much in the game, you obviously haven't been paying attention to his health status. He's been playing hurt, as we all know, despite the denials. If he was fully healthy, I'm sure he would have been used more. His fantasy stats from earlier in the season are completely irrelevant to the argument.

And on the INT in overtime, the only PI could have been offensive. Johnson had position, Thomas turned into him and pushed him over. Even the official on the broadcast said that, but he also noted that don't call PI on balls that float like that due to hits on the QB.

If you want to say Payton outcoached McVay in the NFCC, fine. I think most posters here will take that kind of "outcoached" any day, when the end result is us winning the NFCC in the opponents house.
Fair enough thumbs up & great passion!! Solid points . I’m hopefully going to watch both games back to back again. Since I was not in the best space to go over it in depth.
- I was seriously upset about the whistles in the stadium during the time The Rams were on offense. Really BS the Refs did not get on the PA . Goff not have his helmet either was not cool .
Either way I don’t want Brees to have the ball to win it.In the end I’m glad The Rams won & got the experience they did. I hate Payton especially after he rubbed a victory in Greg Williams & The Rams face into it by talking crap. Then his thing with Peters. Serves him right no doubt. F’ the Saints.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
It's actually pretty funny when you think it was only a few short years ago this team was sickening to even watch. If we scored 20 points it was an offensive explosion. We have an owner that will spend money, a GM that will take chances, and a coach that IMO could be the greatest hire we've ever had. Demoff is really good with the cap and a roster that is leaps and bounds ahead of what it was 3-4 years ago. And I'm pretty confident this team will make improvements in the off season. It sucks we were so close and if a few things go our way we are the champs. But as much as it sucks we are even farther away from the 15-65 bullshit we all endured. 24-7 in two years since boy wonder was hired. I see no reason that changes anytime soon and I'll bet money we are in this conversation next year and for quite some time.