Perspective is badly needed here

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But I've been a Rams fan for 30 some years.. I've seen them average a super bowl every 10 years, and have way more seasons where they were a laughing stock organization.

Yes and while it's fair to observe the Dan Marino effect not to mention our own severely shortened window back in 99-01, it's pretty clear to myself at least that we're far better suited to making a good run of many years this time around.

No telling when we'll be in the next Super Bowl. But just IMO if they can eliminate just 2 or 3 subpar performing positions on defense and don't let the OL fall apart we're going to be a deep playoff team again next year. Goff is going to get better, and McVay is also growing as a head coach. He's already elite as a HC as far as I'm concerned, and like we saw with Belichick he is going to continue to get better.

Les has a challenging offseason ahead, but he doesn't need to make every position elite. He just needs to limit the subpar roster quality to ensure we have the fewest holes possible that can be exposed in the playoffs.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Yes and while it's fair to observe the Dan Marino effect not to mention our own severely shortened window back in 99-01, it's pretty clear to myself at least that we're far better suited to making a good run of many years this time around.

No telling when we'll be in the next Super Bowl. But just IMO if they can eliminate just 2 or 3 subpar performing positions on defense and don't let the OL fall apart we're going to be a deep playoff team again next year. Goff is going to get better, and McVay is also growing as a head coach. He's already elite as a HC as far as I'm concerned, and like we saw with Belichick he is going to continue to get better.

Les has a challenging offseason ahead, but he doesn't need to make every position elite. He just needs to limit the subpar roster quality to ensure we have the fewest holes possible that can be exposed in the playoffs.

I totally agree. We all have to remember that Sean McVay is literally 33 years old. He's still learning, and I believe that this just has to be the fuel for this team for not only next year's run but having that mentality every single year. Just continuous excellence. He's a special Head Coach who's going to continue getting better and better.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Especially the LA Times. I only go there to read sports but they are over the top. A good friend read that someone at the times wrote saying the Rams should not go to the White House if the win the SB. And then you have this beat writer Dylan Hernandez who sounds like a soured Saints fan in his column today about Goff and Plaschke was not much better in a similar article.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's my Perspective...

Rams just finished a marvelous season, although coming up a bit short in the SB. In the freaking SB!

I would have KILLED for such a season from ‘05 through ‘16. Lol.

Rams have improved under S&M for 2 straight years, and very dramatically, at that. Why shouldn’t we expect more improvement in year three?

Same thing with Goff since high school. Each year has been better than the last. Why should we not expect THAT trend to continue?

I fully expect another strong FA and draft from S&M. Yet another trend that will likely continue. If that happens, we will field an even better team in ‘19 than we did in ‘18. Probably a bit younger team, too. As in built for the future.

Man, our future is bright. Can’t wait for all the FA and draft discussions ahead about how to improve this ascending team.

The above is my kind of perspective. Lol.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
So happy with this season ! Shame on anyone who would be upset with the players.

Billichik is one of the best defensive minds ever , he had 2 weeks to gameplan and he out coached mcvay .

This was year 2 of Mcvay and Goff, they will be back and better than ever .

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
First season under McVay we got to the playoffs.
Second season we get to the Super Bowl.

Amazing.

Win, lose, or draw, Rams for life.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I like the positivity. I remember a lot of the same words spoken after Super Bowl 37 about that team. Great HC who got schooled by Bellicheck. But we had Faulk, Holt, Bruce, and Warner still. Orlando Pace was still in his prime. Lovie left to be HC in Chicago, but still, the team's future looked bright.

Dave waited to see that game last night and didn't quite make it. Let's hope it won't take another 17 years to get there again, because many of us are not as young as springtime anymore.
In 20 years I will be older than my father when he died, your words equal my thoughts at times. Weird how progressing along you one day say hey life wont be here forever. Every trip to the superbowl is it's own journey neither guaranteed by the past seasons success nor ruled out by it's failures, but an autonomous voyage that must be taken by overcoming a brand new set of circumstances.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In 20 years I will be older than my father when he died, your words equal my thoughts at times. Weird how progressing along you one day say hey life wont be here forever. Every trip to the superbowl is it's own journey neither guaranteed by the past seasons success nor ruled out by it's failures, but an autonomous voyage that must be taken by overcoming a brand new set of circumstances.
In 17 years, I will be older than my father, grandfather, great-grandfather, great-great grandfather, and great-great-great grandfather(s) when they died. I hate to think that way, because my Mom's side lived to be much older....But still, it makes me review how much time I have spent being a fanatic about the Rams in my life. Crazy thoughts after a super bowl loss, aren't they?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@LoyalRam it sure is my friend weird how it works. We are a couple oldtimers that have seen this team and life through a lot and you learn to value your opportunities. On to next season

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Hate to say it but now you guys know how some of Vikings fans felt after our Super Bowl loss to the Raiders. Just never really in the game. It sucks. The only good thing that came out of that game was I lost my virginity at halftime. ;)

Saw that game. Vikings got thrashed bro... c'mon you and I both know it. That's a bad comparison. I'll say more like Super Bowl 9 Vikes-Steelers is a closer comparison. But yeah it sucks to lose the SB when you are that close.

ramdonnie

UDFA
McVay just turned 33. If he improves with time like fine wine, then he could be around for the next 40 years. We Rams' fans have a lot of enjoyment ahead. Can you imagine if making the playoffs becomes a regular thing for a change? How about getting to the SB every other year? Someone is going to break the Pat's SB records, why not the Rams?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I dunno about you, but I play Couch, Left Cushion.

Yeah, I usually play Right Cushion, but I’m versatile— I can play Center Cushion in a pinch.

Getting back to X’s point about fans using the word “we”— personally, I love it when ppl refer to the Rams as “we.” I think it’s a sign of true fandom, it means you identify with the team.

“We not me” goes for us fans, too!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sat in departures waiting for the red-eye back to London landing at 6.55am and straight to the office from there. Just typing out that sentence tells me perspective is needed. Why? Because could I envisage doing that to watch 'my' team in the Super Bowl recently? Hell no.

2 years ago we sucked, last year we lost in the Wild Card round and the common belief was that progression would be getting to the NFC Championship game. Well we did that and more.

Sure we laid an egg (offensively) last night; if I'd thought that 2 TDs would have won the game beforehand I'd habe bitten your hand-off and there's an understandable sense of dismay, regret, knowing what could have been; but there's plenty we still have.

Last night for instance - defensively we were exceptional. And with Donald more or less nullified. All year we've been calling for the rest of the D to step up and they did.

What else do we have? Ok, we have our QB, RB, 4 WR, 2 TE all coming back before you add in Kelly + potentially CJ. I'm not going to pretend I'm convinced by Goff and next year is important for him personally but that is as good a set of contracted skill players in league. I also doubted mid-season that I'd be confident about our TEs but I am now.

The OL needs depth and maybe 2 starters depending whether Whitworth decides to continue playing but we have Noteboom and Allen with a years experience under their belt. Our 2018 draftees played the least snaps of anyone last year so either we monumentally screwed up the few picks we did have; or we've allowed them a year to learn the schemes, bed in, and make a bigger impact in year 2. I favour that scenario. Added in our 1sr rounder back as it stands for the next draft, couple of picks in round 3 with a good defensive depth to the draft I can see us almost having the potential to have 2 drafts worth of players ready to make an impact.

Moving onto coaching McVay had a horror last night. No getting away from it but I think the offseason will actually be a godsend to him; review what went wrong against the Pats but also Chicago and Philly and adjust accordingly. I don't think the sun shines out his rear-end but I do think he's open enough to review what went wrong, intelligent enough to identify it, and not pigheaded enough to ignore it.

Finally Snead and Demoff I believe are the aces up our sleeves and I wouldn't swap them for any in the league. They'll surprise me no doubt again this off-season but I sure can't wait to see how.

Realise this has turned into a long monologue/rant fuelled by lack of sleep, alcohol, and pills to fight man-flu; and whilst I'm devastated about last night perspective is needed. We're an organisation who has made enormous strides in the last two years but it wasn't boom or bust. We are still well set to push on.

Very well said & a awesome perspective!!

I’m already looking ahead to next season. I think the goal is to win the SuperBowl or bust !! That is where the bar just got set !!

Glad The Rams went to the SuperBowl. Was upset they won against New Orleans because McVay got out coached by Patton as well.
The perspective to me is the experience the franchise got from going was priceless, as well as a Rams fan as yourself.
Enjoyed your post - Cheers !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Miss LA Champ , just like Dave. Some good times looking at how The Rams could get better. It wasn’t all negative the way I remember. Just different view points, but solid Ram fans from LA. Old School !! Good posters around here over the years. The Rams move on !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
early and will change bunches
train
A friend who is a Bears fan. Look out !! That defense is going to be special.

LOVED COREY LITTLETON!! Rams SuperBowl MVP if not for the game, minus the Gronkowski catch, but they ran that play 3 times straight wearing him out in coverage & he was right there with 2 more defenders.
Goff was late on a wide open Cooks pass in the end zone for a easy TD. He did throw a dime to Cooks in the corner that would have tied the game. It got me out of my seat with my hands going up. Tough catch & good defense, but needs to make that play.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The team is still in great hands. The only thing that can derail us for years to come is injuries. That’s not to say they’ll be in the super bowl next year because this league is hard to win. But they’ll be in contention.

Also, screw the ones not putting this in perspective. The game sucked ass but this team is likeable and good.

View: https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/1092514084107489282?s=21

I will go on the record & want start a McVay post, but I think he needs to give up the play calling ? I think he is a GREAT head coach, but then again Sean Paton does it so maybe I’m wrong. DV would step in & change plays.

Hard call, but I respect what McVay tried to do by waiting to break the huddle, but come on man. You need to get rhythm & not be afraid of the opponent.

Like I said earlier glad The Rams made it to The Super Bowl. McVay got out coached by New Orleans as well.
The take from the SuperBowl is the experience this Rams franchise got together & where the Bar is set.

Psycho_X

Legend
I will go on the record & want start a McVay post, but I think he needs to give up the play calling ? I think he is a GREAT head coach, but then again Sean Paton does it so maybe I’m wrong. DV would step in & change plays.

Hard call, but I respect what McVay tried to do by waiting to break the huddle, but come on man. You need to get rhythm & not be afraid of the opponent.

Like I said earlier glad The Rams made it to The Super Bowl. McVay got out coached by New Orleans as well.
The take from the SuperBowl is the experience this Rams franchise got together & where the Bar is set.

He definitely needs to learn from this season. He is almost Martz like in his stubbornness to adapt at times. There have been games where he does brilliantly though. But then there’s games like the SB where he seemingly refuses to try anything at all until the very end when it’s too late.

A decent twitter read about the game. Goes on forever so not linking all of them but this is the first one.

View: https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1092791873092141056?s=21

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
And I'm talking all over the place, from the LA Times to internet Ramsdom. I simply cannot believe the amount of butthurt takes I have seen, and it's disappointing tbh.
This is an amazing time to be a Rams fan. (y)
Totally agree......and if Cooks catches that ball, we are in a tight, tight game.....proud of our boys, who I once called fluffy!

McVay, like Shula after the 1971 year, will figure it out....perfectly so, even.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
McVay got out coached by New Orleans as well.

Huh?? How did he get outcoached by Payton??

That simply makes no sense, given the outcome and the way Payton had an emotional breakdown over the non-call, which trickled down to his players.

I'll accept he got outcoached in the Super Bowl, but to say he got outcoached in the NFC Championship, particularly after the Rams won by coming back from a 13 point deficit in an extremely hostile environment simply defies logic.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He definitely needs to learn from this season. He is almost Martz like in his stubbornness to adapt at times. There have been games where he does brilliantly though. But then there’s games like the SB where he seemingly refuses to try anything at all until the very end when it’s too late.

A decent twitter read about the game. Goes on forever so not linking all of them but this is the first one.

View: https://twitter.com/sharpfootball/status/1092791873092141056?s=21

That's a great twitter thread - everyone here should read it. So should McVay. He was right to say he got outcoached.

Not ragging on him though, as I think he's a guy who learns and adjusts ... maybe not at the speed we want him to at this point, but I'm confident he'll break this down similarly to the author and become a better coach for it.