Outcoached?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not buying the "outcoached" bit.
Sure, I think McVay's play calling was mind boggling, but I didn't see where Nagy pulled off some sort of coaching brilliance. Chicago offense scored 13 points, 3 of which on a gift turnover that they lost 9 yards before kicking the FG. Hardly Lombardi-esque.... I actually thought they cut the Rams some breaks with their play calling, often ripping off big runs and then failing to convert some pass plays.
Trubisky was a disaster himself, puzzling how they allowed him to make some mistakes.
Anyways, the Rams lost. That's it. No secret sauce IMO, they controlled the lines on both sides of the ball.
I just don't see losing a game automatically qualifying as being "outcoached"

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sure, I think McVay's play calling was mind boggling, but I didn't see where Nagy pulled off some sort of coaching brilliance. Chicago offense scored 13 points, 3 of which on a gift turnover that they lost 9 yards before kicking the FG. Hardly Lombardi-esque.... I actually thought they cut the Rams some breaks with their play calling, often ripping off big runs and then failing to convert some pass plays.
Trubisky was a disaster himself, puzzling how they allowed him to make some mistakes.
Anyways, the Rams lost. That's it. No secret sauce IMO, they controlled the lines on both sides of the ball.
Really good perspective.

But the fact remains... these last two games have not been very "Rams-esque" (to steal your wording).

Let's see how they come out this week. ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really good perspective.

But the fact remains... these last two games have not been very "Rams-esque" (to steal your wording).

Let's see how they come out this week. ;)
Yeah, I can live with the "disappointing" 30-16 wins but can surely do without the ugly losses.
Well, I can do without ANY loss but that's another story. Lol
Look forward to them righting the ship against the Iggles

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our Oline got beat like a red headed stepchild, which affected everything else. I agree, McVay didn't get outcoached. You can't win when your star RB has been bottled up (what was it, 6 attempts for 6 yards?), and the Dline is getting two feet of penetration as soon as the ball is snapped, and other guys are getting a free shot at Goff at times.

We got beat and now it's gut check time. You have it, or you don't.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'd really like to believe that but...we beat the Seahawks twice this year and the second game looked much like the first as far as scheme is concerned.

DUH...that's 'cuz we beat them the first time!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
On a positive note, our D looked MUCH better the last 2 games. Remember, all you have to do is get hot at the right time. Better to struggle now, then a month from now.
With Talib: 13.4 ppg
Without Talib: 30.7 ppg

He is the difference.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah. I agree. Play calling seemed very strange. It was almost like the Bears were somehow in the perfect defense for every play the Rams ran. Did the Bears video tape the Rams walkthrough? Sure seems like they did.

Nah they just stuffed the run early and let McVay put himself in bad spots by calling deeper pass plays against a nickel defense while not stopping the Bears 4 man rush.

i think the reason the Giants put up so many points on them is the Bears D was looking ahead to the Rams game

LOL yeah well I don't think that every time the Bears defense lined up against the Giants offense they were thinking about tape they hadn't even watched yet of the Rams.

With Talib: 13.4 ppg
Without Talib: 30.7 ppg

Ehhhhh.......love ya @Legatron4 ..........but..........what are the opposing teams records in those games?

If Talib by himself was worth minus over 17 points per game for opponents he would be getting paid 75MIL a year LOL.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Ehhhhh.......love ya @Legatron4 ..........but..........what are the opposing teams records in those games?

If Talib by himself was worth minus over 17 points per game for opponents he would be getting paid 75MIL a year LOL.
Nah. He’s the secondary leader. Our back end guys are making more plays with him. Joyner looks much better and Peters is playing looser. Talib is definitely worth more though.

Eric Berry is the same for the Chiefs defense. You will see a big difference when he comes back.

…..

Legend

Unless your genius offensive coaching mind was the mind and coach calling the plays.

Maybe McVay outcoached himself. Offensives play callers do that all the time.

In any case, not the end of the world. Everyone has off days, even coaches. Onward to Atlanta from here.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
as you all saw,the Bears coach had a BRILLIANT game plan.He had Donald double and even triple teamed many timee making it known he would not let Donald beat them on defense and make a big play as he has all year long,that if that was going to happen,someone else was goign to have to do it,that did not happen,nobody else came up with anything. thai will be okay now by the playoffc wont work

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless your genius offensive coaching mind was the mind and coach calling the plays.

Maybe McVay outcoached himself. Offensives play callers do that all the time.

In any case, not the end of the world. Everyone has off days, even coaches. Onward to Atlanta from here.
Ummmm who ARE you?

It's also important to take in to account the physicality of that game. Imagine if they ran Gurley 25 times and he got hurt on top of the Rams losing? Would be red alert in here.

As much as I wanted to run Gurley more as well he might have gotten seriously hurt the way the Bears were penetrating.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
the Bears coach had a BRILLIANT game plan.He had Donald double and even triple teamed many timee making it known he would not let Donald beat them on defense and make a big play as he has all year long

You realize Donald has been double and triple teamed all season long right?

Bears just succeeded. The players do factor in there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...s-rams-need-jared-goff-to-return-to-mvp-level

After two down games, Rams need Jared Goff to return to MVP level

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Shortly after the Los Angeles Rams suffered a humbling loss to the Chicago Bears, quarterback Jared Goff offered a forewarning.

“I don’t think this will be the last time I have a bad game,” Goff said. “And I don’t think it will be the last time I have two bad games in a row, if I play for as long as I want to.”

It happens. Quarterbacks have bad games. It has just been a rare occurrence this season for the Rams' third-year quarterback who has led the team to an 11-2 season and a second consecutive division title.

So following a bye week, Goff earned a pass after a lackluster performance in a win over the Detroit Lions in which he was 17-of-33 for 207 yards with a touchdown and interception.

But after he threw a career-high four interceptions, and passed for a season-low 180 yards while completing only 45.5 percent of his throws in an uninspiring 15-6 loss to the Bears, it begs the question: What’s going on with Goff and can he turn it around Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles with the NFC's top playoff seed and home-field advantage still in reach?

“Nothing wrong with me,” Goff said, when asked if he was physically OK. “I just have to play better.”

Goff, never one to panic or express much concern, kept his calm and collected demeanor when repeatedly asked Sunday and again earlier this week for the cause of the consecutive down games. He acknowledged that he had not played well and said, “There’s a lot of things to work on,” but never offered much insight. When pressed for specifics, Goff said “I need to take care of the ball better.”

Through 11 games, Goff had six interceptions, and elevated himself into the MVP discussion with a perfect passer rating against the Minnesota Vikings and a thrilling, four-touchdown win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

In the past two games, however, Goff has been intercepted five times, with several other close calls. Against the Lions, he was strip sacked, and a week later the Bears knocked him into the end zone for a safety.

“He’s going to work himself out of it,” said receiver Robert Woods, who has 1,032 receiving yards this season. “Tell him to just keep firing, keep being confident, keep staying poised in the pocket and just keep your eyes downfield.”

Rams coach Sean McVay shouldered much of the blame for Sunday’s loss and said he should have put his players, including Goff, in better positions to succeed. But McVay also credited the Bears’ defense, which has a league-best 34 takeaways and ranks fourth in the league with 40 sacks.

“He’ll be the first to tell you he’s got to take good care of the ball and we can’t make some decisions,” McVay said of Goff. “But I think I also have to stop putting our players in some spots that aren’t really conducive for finding a way of having success on those given plays and if everybody executes their role to the best of their ability.”

Running back Todd Gurley II bailed Goff out in Detroit, as he rushed for two touchdowns in the fourth quarter to lift the Rams to a 30-16 victory. But McVay lent Goff no such help from the MVP candidate on Sunday. Gurley carried the ball only 11 times, and gained just 28 yards -- his fewest rushing yards since 2015.

The 29-degree weather in Chicago offered little help to Goff, either, though the Northern California native would never admit it.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Goff has played in just five NFL games when the temperature at kickoff was under 40 degrees. The Rams went 2-3 in those games. This season, Goff has failed to pass for a touchdown in only two games: One was in Denver, where it was 25 degrees at kickoff, and the other was in Chicago.

And then there’s the absence of Cooper Kupp, the trusted third receiver who started 10 games and was on pace to have a 1,000-yard season along with Woods and Brandin Cooks before he suffered a torn ACL against the Seattle Seahawks on Nov. 11.

Receiver Josh Reynolds and tight end Gerald Everett had outstanding performances in the immediate aftermath of Kupp’s injury in Week 11, but in the past two games, the offense has appeared to be a shell of its former self -- a certain side effect of Kupp’s absence.

Goff, for his part, has continued to look ahead, knowing the Rams' ultimate goal is still very much in play, even if the road there just became a bit tougher.

A win over the Bears would have secured a first-round playoff bye. Now the Rams must defeat the Eagles, plus rely on the Bears to lose to the Packers. As for the battle for home-field advantage, that too isn’t entirely in the Rams’ hands any longer. At 11-2 and tied with the New Orleans Saints for first place in the NFC, the Rams lose the head-to-head tiebreaker by virtue of their Week 9 defeat to the Saints. So the Rams must continue to win, and hope for the Saints to lose.

“A lot of things could be a lot worse than 11-2 going with three more weeks in the season,” Goff said.

He's right, of course. But for a team that’s 11-2, with expectations of a Super Bowl, the Rams can’t afford many more miscues from their quarterback as they fight for playoff position in what could prove to be three of the most important games of the regular season.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Sorry if this has already been posted. Don't know if I agree with all of it, but insightful nonetheless.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Sorry if this has already been posted. Don't know if I agree with all of it, but insightful nonetheless.

My Rough Summary:
  • McVay LIED (again)
  • Bears played Nothing deep, Nothing Cheap.
  • McVay adjusted.
  • Greedy Goff version is not elite/above average Goff version -- Hero Ball is not Winning Ball.
  • Goff forgot/ignored the CB scouting reports.
-----------------

From the Vid:
YxT2rXp.png

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
You realize Donald has been double and triple teamed all season long right?

Bears just succeeded. The players do factor in there.

I dont remember in all the Ram games I have watched all year where they showed close ups so many times of the other team doing that or the announcers talking about it either.a couple times or so during the broadcasts but not anywhere near the number of times they showed the Bears do it or talk about anywhere near as times as they did in the Bears game.