Outcoached?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I am more disappointed rather than mad this morning. When our RB doesn't get enough touches it will always be a negative turn out. If McVay just committed to the run in the first half even though it was for 1-3 yards a pop. It would have opened up the field, and gave more time in the pocket for Goff to throw the ball. Goff has been a little off these past two games. I wonder are they tired mentally, and physically at this point of the season?

If our play calling is like this in the playoffs.....Forget about getting past our first opponent who ever it will may be. Run to set up the pass....Not other way around. It doesn't matter if we just get 1-3yds. What it will do during later in the game is set up for the bigger plays. Just my opinion.

…..

Legend
We got out coached this time....thats obvious. Looking forward to watching the post game presser.

Shout out to Nikel Roby Coleman.....he stood out last night. I think a couple others did as well...on defense. We saw some outstanding individual efforts from the defense at times.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After watching last night's debacle in Chicago, I will admit McVay was outcoached by Nagy. McVay has been regarded as a creative genius but in the last two months have we seen anything new that we haven't seen before? Where has the jet sweep gone? The screens to Gurley, or Gurley up the seam? Where is our red zone creativity?
Good post. Well written and stated!

I'm not writing us off (obviously), but we do seem to have fallen down to earth. Goff is looking very average. Lots of missed throws, plenty of interceptions etc. The red zone offense is predictable and inefficient, and the run game has lost its edge. McVay seems to have exhausted his box of tricks and the frustration is palpable. Time to open up another box, Sean! Because the team that showed up last night, will be one and done in the playoffs.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think a lot of you are overreacting about this game. We're allowed to have a bad game or two in a season. It happens to every team we just didn't overcome our miscue's against a good defense.

A couple of things I want to point out to everyone that thinks we were out-coached last night.
Chicago lost to a bad Giants team last week. They couldn't stop the run to save their life. They made the NY Giants looks like SB contenders. The week prior they almost lost to a bad Detroit team. Need I say more? The difference maker in this game wasn't Mitch T. It was our offense playing like crap. And I mean the whole offense...
WR's dropping passes, Goff being way out of sync, Offensive linemen playing outta sorts, even Whitworth had some really bad penalties and whiffs. The Hailmary at the end of the first half was garbage, the WR's didn't even look back for the ball. Cooks wasn't on the same page as goff on a handful of plays, Woods dropped some passes in traffic that he usually catches, Reynolds was absolute garbage last night. Was that guy even there? He was so turned around on so many plays, shades of Brian Quick. Goff was staring down receivers and had happy feet. Not that I blame him our Oline played a pretty poor game last night. Sully was also garbage last night, that guy needs to work on his anchor technique because teams are going to start bullrushing him the rest of the season. Might be time for Allen to get some snaps if this becomes a problem.
Everyone wants to say what about Gurley? What about him? He played a piss poor game last night as well. There were 3 or 4 check downs that he either whiffed on or completely forgot to turn his head around to look for the ball.

Yes I agree McVay got away from the run, even the screen pass but our players were so outta sorts last night I doubt any type of playcalling would have worked out for the better. Our guys got beat yesterday, not scheme, not X's and O's, they just whooped our butts and outplayed our Offense. I have a feeling the film room this week is going to be embarrassing for just about everyone.

What I came away with this game is, the Rams don't like playing in 20d weather. No one does, but we were not ready for it and that in itself is inexcusable. My biggest question this week (before we even played the Bears) was, why did we leave Detroit fly all the way back to LA, do our weekly practice and then fly all the way back to Chicago for the game? That's a lot of travel in a short amount of time. Why didn't we practice outside in the cold all week to acclimate our guys as best we could before the game? I honestly think the logistics of travel and having the play in the cold was our biggest enemy this week. Why travel a total 4000 miles going back n forth when you're an hour plane ride outside of Chicago?! Last year I was in awe of McVay and the FO when it came to logistics, this year, not so much!

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
On a positive note, our D looked MUCH better the last 2 games. Remember, all you have to do is get hot at the right time. Better to struggle now, then a month from now.
I agree overall. But nearly 200 yards rushing surrendered and the Bears controlling TOP was no victory. We couldn’t get them off the field.

nighttrain

Legend
I think a lot of you are overreacting about this game. We're allowed to have a bad game or two in a season. It happens to every team we just didn't overcome our miscue's against a good defense.

A couple of things I want to point out to everyone that thinks we were out-coached last night.
Chicago lost to a bad Giants team last week. They couldn't stop the run to save their life. They made the NY Giants looks like SB contenders. The week prior they almost lost to a bad Detroit team. Need I say more? The difference maker in this game wasn't Mitch T. It was our offense playing like crap. And I mean the whole offense...
WR's dropping passes, Goff being way out of sync, Offensive linemen playing outta sorts, even Whitworth had some really bad penalties and whiffs. The Hailmary at the end of the first half was garbage, the WR's didn't even look back for the ball. Cooks wasn't on the same page as goff on a handful of plays, Woods dropped some passes in traffic that he usually catches, Reynolds was absolute garbage last night. Was that guy even there? He was so turned around on so many plays, shades of Brian Quick. Goff was staring down receivers and had happy feet. Not that I blame him our Oline played a pretty poor game last night. Sully was also garbage last night, that guy needs to work on his anchor technique because teams are going to start bullrushing him the rest of the season. Might be time for Allen to get some snaps if this becomes a problem.
Everyone wants to say what about Gurley? What about him? He played a tick poor game last night as well. There were 3 or 4 check downs that he either whiffed on or completely forgot to turn his head around to look for the ball.

Yes I agree McVay got away from the run, even the screen pass but our players were so outta sorts last night I doubt any type of playcalling would have worked out for the better. Our guys got beat yesterday, not scheme, not X's and O's, they just whooped our butts and outplayed our Offense. I have a feeling the film room this week is going to be embarrassing for just about everyone.

What I came away with this game is, the Rams don't like playing in 20d weather. No one does, but we were not ready for it and that in itself is inexcusable. My biggest question this week (before we even played the Bears) was, why did we leave Detroit fly all the way back to LA, do our weekly practice and then fly all the way back to Chicago for the game? That's a lot of travel in a short amount of time. Why didn't we practice outside in the cold all week to acclimate our guys as best we could before the game? I honestly think the logistics of travel and having the play in the cold was our biggest enemy this week. Why travel a total 4000 miles going back n forth when you're an hour plane ride outside of Chicago?! Last year I was in awe of McVay and the FO when it came to logistics, this year, not so much!
Great post J

train

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
What I came away with this game is, the Rams don't like playing in 20d weather. No one does, but we were not ready for it and that in itself is inexcusable. My biggest question this week (before we even played the Bears) was, why did we leave Detroit fly all the way back to LA, do our weekly practice and then fly all the way back to Chicago for the game? That's a lot of travel in a short amount of time. Why didn't we practice outside in the cold all week to acclimate our guys as best we could before the game?

Regarding the acclimation, something I've wondered about: If the Rams are willing to relocate to a luxury resort in Colorado to prepare for the altitude of Mexico City, doesn't it make sense to spend the week in Fargo or someplace as cold as friggin' Antarctica or someplace preparing for the cold of Chicago?

Belichick has forced practice in blizzard-warning conditions and one of his spawn, Matty Patty, had his team practice in snow to prepare way down the road for a cold weather game. Maybe there's something to the idea of a need, and a strategic advantage, to get acclimated to real cold weather.

Ants

Starter

Yep. All we have to do is look at "the best" team in the NFL:
The Saints put up a total clunker against Dallas (a team comparable to the Bears), followed by a struggle against the Bucs (of all teams).
It happens. As long as we iron out some issues (and keep the guys healthy), we should be fine. (y)

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
The common theme I noticed as the remaining games wind down is that the competition is keener and the cream rises to the top as team vie for playoff positions and standings. And that common theme is trick plays. Rams got suckered into the DT as RB and an eligible OL as WR and the Bears scored. If you take away that TD and Safety, the game was essentially tied at that point.

Even the Patriots got suckered and BB over played his genius and got burnt. Teams are playing for the kill and not just because they can show up. Ask the Steelers yesterday if they could just show up against the Raiders.

The next remaining games are dress rehearsals for the long-haul. And McVay has got to have the Rams play at times methodically fast and furious and sometimes physical by running the ball. And McVay must open the playbook and use all available personnel as much as possible. Justin Davis got a very good yardage yesterday. Why not incorporate two RB at the same time? McVay got owned by Nagy, who will be coach of the year. And the pass-Pass-Pass Offense will only expose Goff for the pounding.

RamWoodie

Legend

Everyone wants to say what about Gurley? What about him? He played a tick poor game last night as well. There were 3 or 4 check downs that he either whiffed on or completely forgot to turn his head around to look for the ball.

While you make important points...I look at it this way:

In regular season you can have an off game...in the playoffs if you have one...YOU'RE DONE!

I just hope it makes everyone focus and honed in on each opponent from here on!

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I agree with most we were badly out coached. Love the guy but can't will your way of playing if the other team is geared to stop it and seeing that it was, it was very unlike him to not make the adjustments like it was a battle of wills but our team lost this battle. Got to use Gurley however you can yes this was a regular season game but not just any old regular season game. If the Rams play to win on the field rather than play to win on paper in this game which the Bears were having none of we could really have a shot at winning out and having homefield which we could use apparently. There is still football to be played but I believe the saints face far more desperate teams down the stretch and I think as bad as the panthers have been they can beat the saints in Carolina they are wounded. With that being said Eagles will be wounded as well but there defense is crap so we should pull a win out even if Wentz has a chip on his shoulder cause we cost him his shot at playing in the Super Bowl.

Also one last point everyone and their mother keeps mentioning the conditions and I get Rams sunny LA blah blah blah but there were no conditions it was just cold not even windy cold which is what makes that stadium known for, no rain, no snow, nothing. This is football man got to play cold, hot, rain, snow, etc. As good as we hope to be now and in the future the road won't always go through sunny LA.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It seems like our offensive line has regressed in the last month or so. Maybe it's the fact that they're pass-blocking on nearly every play and haven't been able to get in a rhythm.

A very good point!

If we play the Bears again, I think we'll see a very different result. Remember that Seattle beat us 16-10 and Minnesota beat us 24-7 last year. The next time we played those teams we put up 42 points on Seattle and 38 points on Minnesota. I don't see McVay being made the fool twice.

I'd really like to believe that but...we beat the Seahawks twice this year and the second game looked much like the first as far as scheme is concerned.

TexasRam

Legend
I agree Mcvay should have called more short passes. But his game plan nearly worked if not for better execution.

Goff really has only 1 interception that was his fault. The Hail mary and the two that he was hit as he threw make it look worse than it was.

If Josh Reynolds played a little better we win that game in soldier field in the cold.

To get out with no injuries is a victory.

The sky is not falling.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Maybe the Rams should have run more then.

How did he play piss poor?

What I came away with this game is, the Rams don't like playing in 20d weather. No one does, but we were not ready for it and that in itself is inexcusable.

Not ready for it would fall on what guy?

why did we leave Detroit fly all the way back to LA, do our weekly practice and then fly all the way back to Chicago for the game? That's a lot of travel in a short amount of time. Why didn't we practice outside in the cold all week to acclimate our guys as best we could before the game? I

Who is the guy that would make that call?

Last year I was in awe of McVay and the FO when it came to logistics, this year, not so much!

You say in your opening that it wasn't coaching it was execution then point all of your fingers at the HC hahaha.

But his game plan nearly worked if not for better execution.

Well he didn't respond to the defense and what they were doing. He's admitted he didn't have a good game, lets see where it goes from here.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
[QUOTE="TexasRam,

"Goff really has only 1 interception that was his fault. The Hail mary and the two that he was hit as he threw make it look worse than it was."

Goff almost threw 3 in consecutive plays , if not for Cooks playing defense. He was off all night

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chicago's defense is really, really good....
Not every week, but when they needed it this week they were. I always hate catching a team coming off an embarrassing loss. We caught the Vikings earlier this year coming off a bad loss, and they gave us all we could handle. We caught the Bears coming off a bad one this week. It happens. Tip your hat to the Bears, and assume we will see them again. Without the cold, and hopefully a better game plan, now that we have seen them.