Our WR'ing Core is Desperately Lacking and Number 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not saying they're finished products. Just that you get an idea of what they could be. Most of the good WR's in this league had shown something by their second year. For example, if you look at the top 20 WR's in the NFL, all but Vincent Jackson, Jordy Nelson, and Harry Douglas had show they were really good by their 2nd year. Nelson didn't get to show as much in his first two years because he was behind two other great WR's in GB. Douglas is having a big year this year because Atlanta has lost both Jones and White so he's now forced to be their primary. .

So the number of reps also has a lot to do with how much and how quickly they can develop.

Givens has gotten a lot of reps over his first two years, Austin is getting quite a few this year. I would not put quick in that same category but what he has done has resulted in mixed results. He did score yesterday right??

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What's your definition? Just curious as to how people define it.
Not sure that I have a standard for what a #1 guy is I think it depends on the team and offense.

Megatron for Detroit
Bruce for GSOT

If I was going to pick a #1 guy for this Rams team I would have to say it would be Cook even though he isn't a WR per se. The problem with that is this offense isn't an offense that targets a specific guy more than others every week. And I don't think with the young guys and team we have that targeting one guy 8-10 times and everyone else 2-5 times is a feasible plan. Even Bruce did not get that kind of distribution.

It appears they want to be a team that throws 20-30 times a game and distributes the ball equally to 5-7 guys. So do we need another guy to develop or keep working with the guys we have????

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure that I have a standard for what a #1 guy is I think it depends on the team and offense.

Megatron for Detroit
Bruce for GSOT

If I was going to pick a #1 guy for this Rams team I would have to say it would be Cook even though he isn't a WR per se. The problem with that is this offense isn't an offense that targets a specific guy more than others every week. And I don't think with the young guys and team we have that targeting one guy 8-10 times and everyone else 2-5 times is a feasible plan. Even Bruce did not get that kind of distribution.

It appears they want to be a team that throws 20-30 times a game and distributes the ball equally to 5-7 guys. So do we need another guy to develop or keep working with the guys we have????
That's kinda what I figured. It's too difficult to define. You just know one when you see one, and it's only because people are able to compare to receivers who are already (or were) high producing receivers, that we're able to know what one "looks like." If Fitzgerald had hands of stone, he wouldn't be one. If Calvin Johnson was as lumbering as Cook is, he wouldn't be one either. I think Quick has all the makings of being that kind of prototypical #1 receiver. At this point, I think he just needs to be thrown into the fire and be in on nearly every offensive snap.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Of course the coaches don't give a shyte about the draft at this point. And I'm not in panic mode. Just pointing out potential upgrades.
Nah. Snead said about a week ago that researching the draft class is most of what he's doing right now. I don't know what they're seeing out there but you can be sure that Snead is all over it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them bring in a big "#1" type WR with one of their first picks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's kinda what I figured. It's too difficult to define. You just know one when you see one, and it's only because people are able to compare to receivers who are already (or were) high producing receivers, that we're able to know what one "looks like." If Fitzgerald had hands of stone, he wouldn't be one. If Calvin Johnson was as lumbering as Cook is, he wouldn't be one either. I think Quick has all the makings of being that kind of prototypical #1 receiver. At this point, I think he just needs to be thrown into the fire and be in on nearly every offensive snap.

Totally agree and I think many on here do as well. It really makes me wonder why it's not happening. He sure seems to have the prototypical build and all but... Yeay - I realize all the talk about not knowing how to play the position or fighting for the ball, etc... But it sure seems he is out there contributing when he's in the game. I'd like to see for myself why he simply isn't getting the targets. I'll try to watch some of the coach's film later in the week to see if I can see anything. Dunno.

hfkurt13

UDFA
I still say if a guy drops one or two, sit him for a while.

Hands should be top thing in selecting a receiver. It can be taught but a plucker usually has naturally gifted ball skills.

Obviously I don't know what the coaches are currently saying or doing but it doesn't seem to be sticking with some of these guys for whatever reason.

V3

Hall of Fame
So the number of reps also has a lot to do with how much and how quickly they can develop.

Givens has gotten a lot of reps over his first two years, Austin is getting quite a few this year. I would not put quick in that same category but what he has done has resulted in mixed results. He did score yesterday right??

Why do you think he's not getting the reps? The coaches know he can't handle it. The game is too fast for him. They can't rely on him running the right routes, knowing the plays, etc. He has balls hitting him in the head because he doesn't know what's going on. Do you think if Quick knew what he was doing that the Rams coaches would not give him the reps?

Now that the Rams won't make the playoffs, it doesn't really matter if he messes up or not so they should be giving him a lot more reps for the remainder of the season. Same with Bailey. I'd even throw Pead in there. Get them all reps and see what you have.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Nah. Snead said about a week ago that researching the draft class is most of what he's doing right now. I don't know what they're seeing out there but you can be sure that Snead is all over it. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them bring in a big "#1" type WR with one of their first picks.

Well I did say *coaches* don't give a shit. :wink:

ausmurp

Starter
Yes, we have to keep on drafting WRs until we hit on one. Also coaching has to come into question now. Ever since we let Henry Ellard go, coincidentally, our WRs have been horrible (after Bruce and Holt left). The first step would be to go get Ellard back as our WR coach - over pay the man if we have to. I honestly have no idea why we let him go in the first place, as he is part of the formula that created one of the best WR duos in NFL history with Bruce and Holt.

duckhunter

Starter
Why do you think he's not getting the reps? The coaches know he can't handle it. The game is too fast for him. They can't rely on him running the right routes, knowing the plays, etc. He has balls hitting him in the head because he doesn't know what's going on. Do you think if Quick knew what he was doing that the Rams coaches would not give him the reps?

Now that the Rams won't make the playoffs, it doesn't really matter if he messes up or not so they should be giving him a lot more reps for the remainder of the season. Same with Bailey. I'd even throw Pead in there. Get them all reps and see what you have.

Your post gave me a chuckle about hitting receivers in the head.

Propose practicing without the helmets for receivers and DBs. Tell the QBs to see how many head shots they can get. Oh shyte, our QBs don't have the accuracy to hit the back of their heads. Another one of my brilliant ideas up in smoke.

I'm sick I know it.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Your post gave me a chuckle about hitting receivers in the head.

Propose practicing without the helmets for receivers and DBs. Tell the QBs to see how many head shots they can get. Oh shyte, our QBs don't have the accuracy to hit the back of their heads. Another one of my brilliant ideas up in smoke.

I'm sick I know it.

im sure bradford, even with a bum knee, can stand and deliver some bombs to the receivers' dome pieces

duckhunter

Starter
im sure bradford, even with a bum knee, can stand and deliver some bombs to the receivers' dome pieces
It would be good for a laugh and our guys probably need one.

Drive the point home to be turning the head and looking for the ball for both WRs and DBs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't care if you have an opinion that differs from mine. I tried to indirectly tell you that having some kind of attitude added into a post is irritating but obviously you like sounding like that... it's cool. It irritated me but I guess it takes all forms to make the world.
Not everyone thinks the same, and that's not a bad thing,. To me, it's freaking obvious how much that we need a #1 receiver. Any further clarification needed?
Clarification was never the issue...

Then be more more direct next time, instead of telling me that I am contradicting myself. Then don't infer things, or get personal, attack my position, not my humor, or sarcasm, and be direct, so that I can directly answer a question, or problem that you may have with me. I think we are probably on the same page mostly. Then you get personal again in your next post.

I think it is brutally clear that we've needed a #1 for a long time now. My point is don't WASTE a draft pick on one, but if our brain staff thinks there's potentially a #1 guy, then get him. I don't want to WASTE any more 2nd to 5th round picks. I'm also, not only OK, but would suggest, that we sign someone through free agency, been suggesting this for years, so yeah I'm FRUSTRATED about it, this wasn't about you. Don't make it about me.

Hard thing about that route are all the cap ramifications, and is he on the down side, etc? Josh Gordon would have been perfect if he would have become available. I wanted Vince Jackson a couple years ago, not ideal, because of his money. There is no perfect solution, but we can't keep making the same mistakes over and over again, that is lunacy.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 asked me this a couple weeks ago in a convo about Tavon.:

What's your definition? Just out of curiosity. Is there a minimum height requirement?
No, it's a guy that you can go to on any down and distance, and he will make a play on the ball for you. He will usually make a bad QB look good, by catching every 50/50 ball, and will make a LOT of "out of frame" catches. He's also an above average hands guy, and a guy that you can't press effectively...

Steve Smith has been doing those things for years, so NO, it's not a size thing.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then be more more direct next time, instead of telling me that I am contradicting myself. Then don't infer things, or get personal, attack my position, not my humor, or sarcasm, and be direct, so that I can directly answer a question, or problem that you may have with me. I think we are probably on the same page mostly. Then you get personal again in your next post.

I think it is brutally clear that we've needed a #1 for a long time now. My point is don't WASTE a draft pick on one, but if our brain staff thinks there's potentially a #1 guy, then get him. I don't want to WASTE any more 2nd to 5th round picks. I'm also, not only OK, but would suggest, that we sign someone through free agency, been suggesting this for years, so yeah I'm FRUSTRATED about it, this wasn't about you. Don't make it about me.

Hard thing about that route are all the cap ramifications, and is he on the down side, etc? Josh Gordon would have been perfect if he would have become available. I wanted Vince Jackson a couple years ago, not ideal, because of his money. There is no perfect solution, but we can't keep making the same mistakes over and over again, that is lunacy.

Way to put your big boy pants on lol. That was good and i agree. ;)

Alan

Legend
I agree that we don't have a real #1WR at present but what I don't know is how big the priority is. I'm pretty sure we'd have a pretty decent passing attack if we just caught the ball. I'm not sure that requires a #1WR.

lockdnram21

Legend

right now quick has the third most reps behind givens and austin. pettis and bailey have been getting equal reps. this has been going on the ladt 3 weeks

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree that we don't have a real #1WR at present but what I don't know is how big the priority is. I'm pretty sure we'd have a pretty decent passing attack if we just caught the ball. I'm not sure that requires a #1WR.

I agree and wish I knew what the solution was. All I know is we never really drafted a "safe" highly touted WR. Austin had many speculations on his size and what not, Quick was a known project, Givens fell to the fourth partly due to his size, Pettis was a third rounder largely because he lacked speed and explosiveness. We just have all these incomplete skill players... can we get just one WR that's the "whole package." Sammy Watkins fits that bill. I'll bet we can trade down and still get him, too. It wouldn't surprise me if his stock rises considerably after the combine, however. Not quite like Julio's did but you know what I mean. I'm just talking, though. I'm not 100% sold on any WR coming out. There are no super stud WR's this year but Sammy is not far off.

lockdnram21

Legend
I agree and wish I knew what the solution was. All I know is we never really drafted a "safe" highly touted WR. Austin had many speculations on his size and what not, Quick was a known project, Givens fell to the fourth partly due to his size, Pettis was a third rounder largely because he lacked speed and explosiveness. We just have all these incomplete skill players... can we get just one WR that's the "whole package." Sammy Watkins fits that bill. I'll bet we can trade down and still get him, too. It wouldn't surprise me if his stock rises considerably after the combine, however. Not quite like Julio's did but you know what I mean. I'm just talking, though. I'm not 100% sold on any WR coming out. There are no super stud WR's this year but Sammy is not far off.

i think Quick or Bailey is our answer