Our WR'ing Core is Desperately Lacking and Number 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis with the question:
I agree and wish I knew what the solution was. All I know is we never really drafted a "safe" highly touted WR.
Austin had many speculations on his size and what not, Quick was a known project, Givens fell to the fourth partly due to his size, Pettis was a third rounder largely because he lacked speed and explosiveness. We just have all these incomplete skill players... can we get just one WR that's the "whole package." Sammy Watkins fits that bill. I'll bet we can trade down and still get him, too. It wouldn't surprise me if his stock rises considerably after the combine, however. Not quite like Julio's did but you know what I mean. I'm just talking, though. I'm not 100% sold on any WR coming out. There are no super stud WR's this year but Sammy is not far off.

That's an excellent point. I don't remember there being one of those available. Several of the highly touted ones have turned out well so far but they were all chancy.

I would like to draft a highly rated OC in the first round. :lol: I'm constantly amazed that we haven't been able to find ways to consistently get the ball to Austin in positions where he can excel. Even a mediocre route runner should be be able to get open when playing the slot receiver position. Even if only by scheme.

Of course, even if I had the answer they wouldn't listen to me.:D

ausmurp

Starter
Watkins is an elite tallent, he's on the same level as Blackmon was imo. He has been touted higher than DeAndre Hopkins since last year. He is the complete package, and we cannot afford to pass on him like we did on Alshon Jeffery and Keenan Allen. We need this guy. Then we can go CB/FS/OL/whatever else we need.

ausmurp

Starter
That's an excellent point. I don't remember there being one of those available. Several of the highly touted ones have turned out well so far but they were all chancy.

I would like to draft a highly rated OC in the first round. :lol: I'm constantly amazed that we haven't been able to find ways to consistently get the ball to Austin in positions where he can excel. Even a mediocre route runner should be be able to get open when playing the slot receiver position. Even if only by scheme.

Of course, even if I had the answer they wouldn't listen to me.:D

Disagree kindly. Alshon jeffery and Keenan Allen were both touted as the most NFL ready WRs in their corresponding drafts, and coincidentally they're both producing well this year. It took Jeffery a yr but Keenan Allen is the best rookie WR of the 2013 draft class, has over 800 yds receiving, and will surpass 1,000 yds receiving. Not many rookie WRs have done that in NFL history.

Last edited by a moderator:

ausmurp

Starter
We could always trade for Justin Blackmon and be done with this argument :) If he would just play and not be a drunk retard.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'm on the side that we do not draft a WR high this year, its not that I think we are set for good at the position, its all of our receivers are very young. They need time to develop. Sign a vet in off season if anything.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm on the side that we do not draft a WR high this year, its not that I think we are set for good at the position, its all of our receivers are very young. They need time to develop. Sign a vet in off season if anything.
I'm not really anti,I just think it's a low priority if a freak fell in our lap we wanted to take a flier on in the late rounds ,but I have DB and OL and LB as my priorities

Alan

Legend
ausmurp possibly missing my point:
Disagree kindly. Alshon jeffery and Keenan Allen were both touted as the most NFL ready WRs in their corresponding drafts, and coincidentally they're both producing well this year. It took Jeffery a yr but Keenan Allen is the best rookie WR of the 2013 draft class, has over 800 yds receiving, and will surpass 1,000 yds receiving. Not many rookie WRs have done that in NFL history.

Being touted as the "most NFL ready" is not a glowing recommendation. What I meant by chancy is that all the WRs had some questions/red flags so you were basically taking a chance with a high round pick. There weren't any Julio Jones available. Like I said, some of them (as you mentioned) turned out to be pretty good but that's hindsight. I don't remember what I didn't like about Allen but I do remember that Alshon (better known as the Pillsbury Doughboy) was slow and didn't get much separation in college.

BTW, is "disagree kindly" the same thing as "with all do respect, you sir are full of shyte"? :lol: :bigup:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'm not really anti,I just think it's a low priority if a freak fell in our lap we wanted to take a flier on in the late rounds ,but I have DB and OL and LB as my priorities

I Agree. we've drafted high at WR the last 2 years, give those guys some time to become great. I also think we have a hidden gem in Stedman, he just needs his chance to shine.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

I wanted Keenan in horns this year... :sad:

Correction**

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While Cook has been mostly lackluster; I remain patient.

This offense ain't clicking.

Why should we expect Cook or anyone to consistently blow up in this scenario?

But dude does need work.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watkins is an elite tallent, he's on the same level as Blackmon was imo. He has been touted higher than DeAndre Hopkins since last year. He is the complete package, and we cannot afford to pass on him like we did on Alshon Jeffery and Keenan Allen. We need this guy. Then we can go CB/FS/OL/whatever else we need.

Blackmon went in the top 10 so do you think selecting Sammy in the top 5 is justifiable? Just curious. My dream scenario is trade down then get Sammy but its risky. Evens reminds me of a bigger, stronger, K. Allen so it's not like he's a bad option if we do miss out on Allen.