One man's opinion: Rams will finish 9-7

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What do YOU think the Rams' record will be?

• 7-9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worse than 7-9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9-7

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 8-8

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Better than 10-6

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • 10-6

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
STAN McNEAL
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/story/One-mans-opinion-Rams-will-finish-9-7?blockID=915437&feedID=8745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st- ... eedID=8745</a>

793957.jpg

ST. LOUIS -- Ten wins should be enough for the Rams to make the playoffs. Even if 10 aren't enough, no one should be disappointed in the Rams if they win that many games.

They have a legitimate chance, too, even though their schedule is the fourth toughest in the NFL based on 2012 winning percentages.

But to win 10, they'll need to win at least one more game than they are picked to win in this breakdown.

Game by game:

Arizona. This is more than a should-win. It's also a must-win. The Cardinals have a new head coach, Bruce Arians, and are breaking in a new quarterback, the not-getting-any-younger Carson Palmer.

The Rams' defense should be able to shut down the Cardinals thoroughly enough to give Sam Bradford and Co. a chance to break in their new attack without needing to be in top form. Considering the three games that follow, a loss to the Cardinals would be as devastating as any loss a team could suffer in its opener. Record: 1-0.

At Atlanta. Too bad this won't be at the Dome so Steven Jackson could be given a returning hero's welcome. He deserves one. With his new team, Jackson will be expected to eat up time in fourth quarters when the Falcons have leads to protect. Look for him to be busy this game. The Falcons have too much offense for the Rams to keep up. Record: 1-1.

At Dallas. Playing in a 100,000-seat stadium can be daunting. But any aura that once followed the Cowboys has been replaced by drama, often silly drama. This is a team that doesn't always play up to its talent.

Its defense, however, should be improved with Monte Kiffin taking over as coordinator. And the Cowboys, like the Rams, upgraded their offensive skill positions in the draft. At this point, expecting a victory at Dallas is asking too much from such a young squad as the Rams. Record: 1-2.

San Francisco. The Dome goes prime time on NFL Network with a game against the conference champs. The fans will be ready. So will the Rams who, because of the short week, won't have as much time as usual to be reminded about the offseason trash talking of Cortland Finnegan and Chris Long. This feels like a statement game, with the Rams having the last words: "Look at us. We just beat a Super Bowl team. We're legit." Record: 2-2.

Jacksonville. The Rams haven't won at the Dome by more than 20 points since 2003. Until this one. The Jaguars ranked 29th in offense and 30th in defense last year, and they're not supposed to be much better in 2013. Record: 3-2.

At Houston. The Texans won 12 games last year before losing in the second round of the playoffs. There's no reason to believe they won't be at least as good in 2013. Certainly, they'll be good enough to beat the Rams at home. Record: 3-3.

At Carolina. If Cam Newton plays like he did in his second season, the Rams should prevail. If he plays like he did in his first season, the Panthers should win. Since I expect Newton to reach new heights in his third season, I expect the Panthers to win. Record: 3-4.

Seattle. Facing Newton in the previous game should help when Russell Wilson visits St. Louis for the first Monday Night Football game at the Dome since 2006. Like they did against the Niners, the Rams prove they can play entertaining -- and winning -- football. Record: 4-4.

Tennessee. The Rams put it all together and make sure Fisher doesn't lose to his former team. Record: 5-4.

At Indianapolis. A matchup between Bradford, the first pick of the 2010 draft, and Andrew Luck, the first pick of the 2012 draft. The veteran comes through with the upset. Record: 6-4.

Chicago. The Rams will be coming off their bye week; the Bears will be coming off a battle against the Super Bowl champion Ravens. Advantage, Rams. Record: 7-4.

At San Francisco. San Francisco ends its three-game winless streak against the Rams. Record: 7-5.

At Arizona. Winning division games on the road is difficult, especially for a team as young as the Rams. They'll come close, but they won't sweep the Cardinals. Record: 7-6.

New Orleans. The Rams sacked Drew Brees six times in his last visit to St. Louis, in 2010. He will be treated just as rudely this time as the defense leads the way for the home team. Record: 8-6.

Tampa Bay. With the playoffs still a possibility, the Rams roll over a team that has an over-under win line set at 7.5 by one sports book. The over-under for the Rams, by the way, is seven. Record: 9-6.

At Seattle. For the third time in four years, the Rams will finish their season at Seattle, where they have lost eight straight. Make it nine after this one, as the Rams finish 9-7 and just miss the playoffs.

You can follow Stan McNeal on Twitter at @stanmcneal or email him at stanmcneal@gmail.com.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I can see 9-7, but I think we sweep the Cardinals and finish 10-6.... But finishing with a winning season would be nice either way.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I say we win at Dallas & Carolina but lose to Chicago. Hence, 10 - 6.

A55VA6

Legend
I went with 10 wins. I feel like we should be able to get anywhere from 8-11 wins. Anything less is a bad season. 7 wins won't make me content this year.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I may be a total homer here, but I really think we are going to make a big step this year. The only team I see as being a really tough one to win is ATL because it's in ATL. Aside from that, none of these teams are that much better than us, IMO. I think Austin, Cook and Long are going to end up making a huge difference. I also think our D becomes top 10 this year if not top 5. I am beyond sick of hearing about SF and SEA. Screw those teams. We beat them last year with pretty much no offense. As much as I love Jackson, I actually think we will be more dangerous without him. He was a beast, that's for sure. But, he was not really a threat to break one over 50 yards anymore. The only problem I see with the RB group is pass blocking. But aside from that, we have speed and skill at every position now. I say 11-5. Hells yeah, let's do the damn thing. :censored:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree with 9-7

However i think we sweep AZ but lose to the Saints in a shootout.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man we're homers.

most of us picked 10 and 6.

but i feel this is realistic with the d fisher has put together. the offense just needs to improve a little to reach 10 wins and i think it will.

jap

Legend
A lot will depend on how quickly young guys man up (3rd & 2nd year players, rookies) and how quickly some team units gel (OL, DL, LB's, DB's, D front seven, entire D; RB's, WR's, Sam the Ram, entire O; ST kicking squad, ST punting Squad, ST KR squad, ST PR squad, ST extra-curricula play squads).

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I must be a homer cuz I see 12-4 as being very attainable and thats giving the whiners and shecocks the win at their places. Atl and Houston are the only other games I see as possible losses Carolina and NO dont scare me, and honestly I dont think Atl places enough D to make them scary, Dallas is going to be struggling with the media circus that will surround them when they start 0-2 and Chi is gonna b iffy Cutler is already sayin it will take him 3 yrs to learn the O and they fired the man behind their D without Lovie they will struggle. Shit 14-2 isnt out of reach.

So go ahead and pass the koolaid cuz I drank all mine.

jap

Legend
RamBall said:
I must be a homer cuz I see 12-4 as being very attainable and thats giving the whiners and shecocks the win at their places. Atl and Houston are the only other games I see as possible losses Carolina and NO dont scare me, and honestly I dont think Atl places enough D to make them scary, Dallas is going to be struggling with the media circus that will surround them when they start 0-2 and Chi is gonna b iffy Cutler is already sayin it will take him 3 yrs to learn the O and they fired the man behind their D without Lovie they will struggle. shyte 14-2 isnt out of reach.

So go ahead and pass the koolaid cuz I drank all mine.

Those heights are attainable, but so are depths like 6-10. A lot will depend upon a lot of very young guys working hard to be fit, to be mentally prepared, and injury-free. we can't have too many breakdowns (injuries, drop off in play) among the older vets either.

I refrained from making any numbers predictions because of the extreme youth on this team. I love to think positive, but I have been burned enough times to be cautious. I really want to see how good a coach Sam is, with all his attempts to go the extra mile to reach his young receivers crew (WR's, TE's, and RB's). Without discounting the efforts of the position coaches in the least, synergy with Sam the Ram could help make the difference between the usual number of rookie boners and a well-oiled machine.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
Stranger said:
I say we win at Dallas & Carolina but lose to Chicago. Hence, 10 - 6.

Please not Chicago, I am surrounded by bear fans. I don't want to hear my brother in laws mouth on Thanksgiving day about how great the bears are.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wv said:
I said 8-8 because Fisher does 8-8 really well.

w
v
That's really what you expect based on the schedule?
Or are you bein a wise guy?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
10-6. Also think we sweep the Cardinals. I really want to see a shootout with the Saints or the Panthers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Its my thought that a 10-6 2013 season is very possible or even better depending on one very big area...The OFFENSIVE LINE! if this OL gets its act together there is no telling how high this team will fly!

Injuries or inability to jell in this OL area will cause this season to fall way short of this team super possibilities. One injury to either Tackles would be one serious blow. The interior OL run blocking performance was pathetically impotent with Wells, Williams, Smith & Watkins ...same players Fisher is using this season in the interior.

Bradford must be comfortable with his OL to do it job for him to be successful. None of the other areas really have much to say about nothing if this OL FAILS!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam understanding the key element to success:
Its my thought that a 10-6 2013 season is very possible or even better depending on one very big area...The OFFENSIVE LINE! if this OL gets its act together there is no telling how high this team will fly!

Injuries or inability to jell in this OL area will cause this season to fall way short of this team super possibilities. One injury to either Tackles would be one serious blow. The interior OL run blocking performance was pathetically impotent with Wells, Williams, Smith & Watkins ...same players Fisher is using this season in the interior.

Bradford must be comfortable with his OL to do it job for him to be successful. None of the other areas really have much to say about nothing if this OL FAILS!

That's exactly how I see it too.

Despite the fact that ShaneG disagreed with my take on our lack of depth there it has me worried. I see a rookie with a yet to be healed Lisfranc injury, a 5th round pick who has shown nothing and a bunch of castoffs from other teams. We don't even know who our LG is going to be.

While I predicted an 11-5 record, it was predicated on our O-line starters coming together and staying healthy. And finding an answer at LG of course.

tempests

Hall of Fame
So he has the Rams 8-0 at home but 1-7 on the road? Rarely is an NFL team that schizophrenic.

Tennessee, Tampa Bay and New Orleans are tough matchups. Indy and Chicago are a little more unknown, but the Rams aren't going to beat them all.

I said 7-9. 9-7, give Fisher HC of the year and don't think twice. It is just hard to see any more wins with this schedule.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
tempests posting from his teapot:
So he has the Rams 8-0 at home but 1-7 on the road? Rarely is an NFL team that schizophrenic.

Tennessee, Tampa Bay and New Orleans are tough matchups. Indy and Chicago are a little more unknown, but the Rams aren't going to beat them all.

I said 7-9. 9-7, give Fisher HC of the year and don't think twice. It is just hard to see any more wins with this schedule.

Welcome to ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :yay1:

New to posting or are you a grizzled veteran from another board looking for the rarest of all breeds, intelligent easygoing posters?