Okay Wolford or Allen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you think should be our 3rd string or practice team QB?

• Total voters

oldnotdead

Legend
They could carry 3 QB's until the bye week. That way teams will already have their rosters established and probably wouldn't want to carry a 3rd QB at that point. He's more likely to clear waivers in week 9 than on Saturday. But I think teams will call about the availability of Bortles. If they can get anything at all for him I say do it and carry Wolford as Goff's backup with Allen on the PS. I think Allen will clear waivers.

I agree Wolford is the kind of QB you can carry as #2 for years. He could get rich doing nothing but run the scout team.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I'll admit to being an Allen supporter before last night. But Wolford does have that "it" factor. No.....he is not the 2nd coming of Kurt. But he is fun to watch.

fearsomefour

Legend
Allen.
And it’s not that close.
More decisive. Better touch. Led receivers pretty well. Plays better in the pocket.
His passes seems to float high a little bit.
Needs to get his elbow up a bit probably.
I was impressed with him the last two weeks.
It’s against backups playing a pretty vanilla defense, but, he got the ball out on time for the most part.
It’s not close.
Some new evidence has come to light....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wolford will most likely make PS.

Yes. He absolutely will.

Just a day ago that's what we all would say. I didn't even see the game and no way a 4th preseason game of non-starters changes that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the NFL should make a new roster rule that allows for keeping a 3rd QB that's inactive. It would suck to lose someone that might have potential just because you can only keep 53 guys.
They do have that rule, it’s called the practice squad

fearsomefour

Legend
I was behind Allen, still am in the sense he can play.
Allen....44/69 431 yards 0 TD 3 Int
Wolford....25/44 249 yards 3 TD 0 Int

Allen has a better completion percentage, Wolford is more mobile.
Allens problems come from the ball sailing.
Throws high. The pic on the throw to Proel was just horrible. His other two pics were on deeper throws that, ironically, he left low. Either bad back shoulder throws or, I suspect, deep balls he didn’t get enough air under. The ball floating on short/mid routes is a technique thing. One wonders at this point if he wound fix it. After a horrible start vs Houston he settled down and made some nice throws.
Wolford does some nice things. His TD pass to the TE last night was a thing of beauty.
I don’t like roll outs generally as a way of evaluating. They rolled him out a lot....makes sense given his wheels and small size.
What I like about both QBs.....and it is something the Rams haven’t had in that 3rd QB spot in quite awhile.....is they both can go through reads. Allen was ahead here and was better in the pocket. Wolford displayed big improvement in both categories vs Houston. Both have good pocket awareness and can run and makes plays on the run, Wolford is better here.
I would keep them both. One on the roster and one of the practice squad.
The goal here would be to choose the guy you trust the most within the offense to replace Bortles as the 2 after this year.....and sign him to a multi year deal. Have that 2 QB spot covered without spending a ton.
I do like splitting the reps possession to possession. Still hard to judge apples to apples. But getting both guys on the field with the same O group I like.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Wolford has really nice footwork for not being used to dropping back under center. He also throws a really tight and catchable ball. He was reminding me of a young Drew Brees last night. He had 2-3 off throws, besides that he was dealing. I want him to back up Goff in 2020.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wolford reminds me of Austin Davis with a stronger arm. He's capable of making big plays. But at times the accuracy isn't there. They came out aggressive to start the second half. Threw down field 3 straight plays. The first two he had open receivers but the passes were too far off the mark to complete them. The 3rd was a good throw but it would have taken a great catch by Webster. I do like the aggressiveness though. He's doesn't seem to be afraid of pulling the trigger on those throws.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wolford, Allen just doesn’t impress me at all. I honestly see a lil Doug Flutie in Wolford

RamWoodie

Legend
I got Allen. Bigger arm, quicker release, and quicker reading defense. I understand it was preseason...but I think McVay can do more with Allen.

Wolford looked good last night... but throughout preseason Allen was better.

fearsomefour

Legend
I got Allen. Bigger arm, quicker release, and quicker reading defense. I understand it was preseason...but I think McVay can do more with Allen.

Wolford looked good last night... but throughout preseason Allen was better.
Has a pretty quick release this is true.
Compared to Bortles everyone has a quick release.

nighttrain

Legend
Allen was signed in Sept of 2017 and he seems to have not gotten any better, time to try a new direction, as in Wolford
train