Okay Wolford or Allen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you think should be our 3rd string or practice team QB?

• Total voters

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I like Wolford. I'm curious to see what he'd do with the 1s and 2s. He throws a nice ball for a guy his size. When he puts it on a line you can see the arm strength. The accuracy seems more consistent than Allen at this point and Allen has been here 2 full years. I thought Allen played pretty well last night, but I still cut him and put Wolford on the PS.

nighttrain

Legend
I think Wolford is really fun to watch play. But I honestly think his height and his launch point ultimately hold him back.

He throws a really nice ball. Has a really fast and tight release. However due to his height he is going to get the ball batted down a ton and/or not have throwing lanes.
Wolford is just an inch shorter than Allen.
train

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Wolford is just an inch shorter than Allen.
train

It's all about that launch point.

He's actually taller than Drew Brees.

When Drew throws he's almost on his tiptoes and the launch point is high - near the top of his head or above even.

Again, I really like watching Wolford play.

I just feel like ultimately that launch point will be holding back point.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I prefer Wolford by just a little bit.

More importantly, McVay goes out of his way to praise Wolford for reading D and going through his progressions. Didn’t say anything similar about Allen.

Remember Allen missed that easy TD throw to Kelly earlier because he didn’t even look that way? That’s huge.

Of the 2, it’s gotta be Wolford. However, both are destined for the practice squad this year, IMO.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I voted Allen.

Last two games, he’s looked pretty good. Nice deep ball last night.

Plenty of mobility.

Made a play out of the bad snap against the Cowboys.

Former Razorback.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I voted Wolford. As others have pointed out, he reads the field better than Allen. And to my untrained eye, he's just more exciting to watch.

But since the winner is headed to the practice squad, the question becomes which one has the most upside? Again, I think Wolford.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wolford..He’s younger and can get better.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Blah blah. It's a poll. Vote or be quiet. Plus you get free ROD credits just for voting.
200w.webp

OK, I broke down and voted for Wolford because I like his future potential, ... BUT, I prefer Allen now as our 2019 back-up as he's more accustomed to McVay's system, has a bit more experience, and because we have a real shot at returning to the Super Bowl. jmo.

nighttrain

Legend
OK, I broke down and voted for Wolford because I like his future potential, ... BUT, I prefer Allen now as our 2019 back-up as he's more accustomed to McVay's system, has a bit more experience, and because we have a real shot at returning to the Super Bowl. jmo.
our BU QB is irrelevant in that w/o Goff Rams are not going to sniff the SB
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
our BU QB is irrelevant in that w/o Goff Rams are not going to sniff the SB
train

It wouldn't be irrelevant if Goff gets us to where we need to be towards the end of the regular season or even into the play-offs. If Goff went down tomorrow, then yes, you would be right.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I said Allen. I always like a QB with a live arm. That ball is coming off his hand smoking. He has good pocket presence but as NT said....................it doesn't really matter, neither of them have what it takes to step in and lead us to a championship.

nighttrain

Legend
It wouldn't be irrelevant if Goff gets us to where we need to be towards the end of the regular season or even into the play-offs. If Goff went down tomorrow, then yes, you would be right.
i can see Bortles wining a game or two if needed, but Allen or Wolford, ouch
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Bortles came to us as a damaged former starter, but he still took his former team to at least one playoff game. In McVay’s system, who knows how well he could do? I guess what !’m saying that while my expectations would be lowered, I still think he could lead the Rams to the playoffs...and maybe further. IE, there could still be hope if Jared went down. For the year....

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think the NFL should make a new roster rule that allows for keeping a 3rd QB that's inactive. It would suck to lose someone that might have potential just because you can only keep 53 guys.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Probably Wolford, but shpuldn't dwell on it too much because I think we will only hang on to Bortles.
Then again we only jave Bortles signed for one season, right?
We migjt opt to keep one of the other QB's as well...so, Wolford.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will go with the guy that has not been with the Rams for a couple of years...Already know what Allen bring to the table

oldnotdead

Legend
Murray, Mayfield, Wilson, Brees, and a host of others put the height question to bed a long time ago. Just like arm strength is overrated and accuracy is far more important.

They were calling Brees too short and weak-armed. He went to a personal trainer and improved his arm strength. Accuracy was Brees' strength and McVay knows that there is less that can be done to improve upon accuracy if it's not simply a matter of mechanics.

IMO Allen is what he is right now. For a QB entering his 3rd year Allen should be better. Let's see if there is more upside to Wolford. Allen might be okay if he's subbing for an in-game injury. But even the Rams know they would be in trouble if he had to play more than a quarter or two. Why do you think they went out and signed Bortles? The minute they signed Bortles it was a vote of no confidence by the Rams for Allen. Bortles buys them a year to develop another QB.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Okay... I finally got thru last night’s game...

Wolford

Having a 3rd QB that can scramble is good for the snaps that role gets... And... he looks like the more confident passer.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
I voted Allen because he has a better arm to me. But if we ever get to a point where we're seriously playing either of these guys Wolford does have a higher ceiling so I should ahve voted for him. He looked like Keenum last night a little bit lol.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think they are both way better than Mannion, and closer to Bortles that anyone would like to admit, including me. I voted.