OG Davin Joseph visiting Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
LesBaker wondering what's the big deal:
What does it hurt to bring him in?
So he passes the physical and sucks us into offering an injury friendly incentive laden deal. Which does what for us except giving us a false sense of security that one of our holes has been filled. Until he gets injured in TC and we're left scrambling for street FAs to fill his void.

Other than that, probably nothing. :)

Do you see a different scenario Les?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he passes the physical and sucks us into offering an injury friendly incentive laden deal. Which does what for us except giving us a false sense of security that one of our holes has been filled. Until he gets injured in TC and we're left scrambling for street FAs to fill his void.

Other than that, probably nothing. :)

Do you see a different scenario Les?

Or...we draft a couple of OLs prepared for someone getting hurt. Or we sign another OG for depth.

I don't get the defeatist attitude when there are plenty of FAs out there still and we didn't fall into the trap of overpaying out of desperation on day 1.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Or...we draft a couple of OLs prepared for someone getting hurt. Or we sign another OG for depth.

I don't get the defeatist attitude when there are plenty of FAs out there still and we didn't fall into the trap of overpaying out of desperation on day 1.
Its sort of the opposite of the "yeah but" attitude:whistle:.
Like yourself Jrry,many fans in here are smart and have opinions on the Rams' absenteeism on day one and two of FA.
I agree with you that it's dumb to overpay for big names,but FA plays a role in upgrading talent as well as adding depth. The Rams have essentially put all their eggs in one basket on draft day concerning our OLine and our secondary. Thats my opinion,and it seems to be a popular opinion.

I have faith that our football people know what they're doing...but lets be real here,as it stands today we are relying on J.Long's knee,S.Wells' entire body,B.Jones' progression from zero NFL experience and JAGS Barnes and Smith up front. We have two first round picks and Fisher's history not picking OLine in the first is well documented. Maybe you can understand why this defeatist attitude exists at this point in time. Cut us some slack...yeah? :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its sort of the opposite of the "yeah but" attitude:whistle:.
Like yourself Jrry,many fans in here are smart and have opinions on the Rams' absenteeism on day one and two of FA.
I agree with you that it's dumb to overpay for big names,but FA plays a role in upgrading talent as well as adding depth. The Rams have essentially put all their eggs in one basket on draft day concerning our OLine and our secondary. Thats my opinion,and it seems to be a popular opinion.

I have faith that our football people know what they're doing...but lets be real here,as it stands today we are relying on J.Long's knee,S.Wells' entire body,B.Jones' progression from zero NFL experience and JAGS Barnes and Smith up front. We have two first round picks and Fisher's history not picking OLine in the first is well documented. Maybe you can understand why this defeatist attitude exists at this point in time. Cut us some slack...yeah? :D

I don't even think that it's necessarily dumb. I just don't get all the pessimism on the second day of the league year. We have a long way until the season.

I guess I'd rather just be upbeat and positive until there's reason to be defeatist...like being 2-10 after the first 12 games. ;)

Might as well be happy while I can haha.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't even think that it's necessarily dumb. I just don't get all the pessimism on the second day of the league year. We have a long way until the season.

I guess I'd rather just be upbeat and positive until there's reason to be defeatist...like being 2-10 after the first 12 games. ;)

Might as well be happy while I can haha.
I'll gladly have some of your kool-aid my friend...but could you spike it with a little somethin first?...just to get me through till the draft?

Alan

Legend
jrry32 with this:
Or...we draft a couple of OLs prepared for someone getting hurt. Or we sign another OG for depth. I have a bridge in NJ I'd like to sell you if you're interested in a great deal. LOL!

Drafting a couple of OLs to prepare for the inevitable: So you think the capital they'd spend for a contingency plan would be the same as what they'd spend for a starter?

Sign another OG for depth: There's depth and then there's quality depth. Who do you have in mind to sign as quality depth? When a team thinks that Chris Williams is the best guard out there and Smith is getting quality bites and expense paid trips (ala Joseph) that should tell you what's available. It does to me.

Defeatist attitude: Your definition of a defeatist attitude doesn't seem to take into account reality. I'm merely looking at what's left in FA at our positions of need and while I see some possibilities at CB, the rest of the cupboard seems pretty bare to me. Just my opinion of course. I don't even remotely call that a defeatist attitude.

Fall into the trap of overpaying: Both the Verner and the Schwartz deal didn't fit that description.

Nick Wagoner:
Speaking of the offensive line, the free-agent market simply doesn't offer much in the way of options who actually would provide an upgrade to the team's starting five. But the Rams are kicking the tires on at least one veteran option.

Another defeatist?

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
He's only 30. If that's old I'm ancient. But if he's healthy he was a pro bowl player. I mean we have no idea if guys like Jones or Barnes will be any better yet.
We need depth if nothing else with all the guys that are now gone.
HEALTH ! That's the key word here, check him out completed physical & drills and see if he looks like a player, what else can you do?
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Drafting a couple of OLs to prepare for the inevitable: So you think the capital they'd spend for a contingency plan would be the same as what they'd spend for a starter?

Sign another OG for depth: There's depth and then there's quality depth. Who do you have in mind to sign as quality depth? When a team thinks that Chris Williams is the best guard out there and Smith is getting quality bites and expense paid trips (ala Joseph) that should tell you what's available. It does to me.

Fall into the trap of overpaying: Both the Verner and the Schwartz deal didn't fit that description.

John Jerry? Daryn Colledge? Willie Colon? Harvey Dahl? Richie Incognito? Charlie Johnson? Uche Nwaneri? Garrett Reynolds? Wade Smith? Kevin Boothe? Eric Winston? Marshall Newhouse? Jason Fox?

No, drafting OL depth in the mid to late rounds is not the same as paying for a starter. And they would have had to draft a starter either ways.

Verner is a zone CB. We fired our DC that ran the zone scheme and are changing schemes. He's not a good fit for what we want to do. Schwartz would have been a solid signing but he might have chosen the Giants. We did supposedly have interest.

I'll gladly have some of your kool-aid my friend...but could you spike it with a little somethin first?...just to get me through till the draft?

Barrett Jones is ready to step in and be a top 5 OG in the NFL.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
th

Thanks.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 falling deeper into the kool-aid abyss:
John Jerry? Daryn Colledge? Willie Colon? Harvey Dahl? Richie Incognito? Charlie Johnson? Uche Nwaneri? Garrett Reynolds? Wade Smith? Kevin Boothe? Eric Winston? Marshall Newhouse? Jason Fox?

No, drafting OL depth in the mid to late rounds is not the same as paying for a starter. And they would have had to draft a starter either ways.

Verner is a zone CB. We fired our DC that ran the zone scheme and are changing schemes. He's not a good fit for what we want to do. Schwartz would have been a solid signing but he might have chosen the Giants. We did supposedly have interest.

I know you spend an incredible amount of time analyzing the college players. You do a great job at that too. If you get any free/extra time you should do the same thing with the players already in the NFL. I say that because it's obvious to me that you didn't do that before listing those players you mentioned above. I did say quality depth if you remember.

Yes, Verner is better at zone coverage than man but if you really think that we're not going to be playing lots of zone I think you haven't really analyzed the situation. Thinking that we'll be playing lots of man coverage this year, or any year, ignores the fact that Fisher is our HC. I'm really surprised that you think the DB scheme last year wasn't at the behest of Fisher. Astonished actually. Even if the common opinion that we haven't been playing man because of our lack of a quality FS is true, how long do you think it will take a rookie, if we draft one, to get up to speed enough to enable us to play man on any kind of regular basis? Are you relying on another total unknown in Cody Davis to fill that role. Again I can only salute your, IMO, totally unwarranted confidence in something you have never actually seen. As with Barrett Jones. More on him below.

Barrett Jones is ready to step in and be a top 5 OG? LOL! Based on what empirical evidence? I love your enthusiasm but I also like a dose of reality. Just not after 2030 hours. :LOL:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Barrett Jones is ready to step in and be a top 5 OG? LOL! Based on what empirical evidence? I love your enthusiasm but I also like a dose of reality. Just not after 2030 hours. :LOL:
This was a special request from me to Jrry. I needed some kool-aid. He's not being serious here. At least...i don't think so.

jjab360

Legend
I know you spend an incredible amount of time analyzing the college players. You do a great job at that too. If you get any free/extra time you should do the same thing with the players already in the NFL. I say that because it's obvious to me that you didn't do that before listing those players you mentioned above. I did say quality depth if you remember.

Yes, Verner is better at zone coverage than man but if you really think that we're not going to be playing lots of zone I think you haven't really analyzed the situation. Thinking that we'll be playing lots of man coverage this year, or any year, ignores the fact that Fisher is our HC. I'm really surprised that you think the DB scheme last year wasn't at the behest of Fisher. Astonished actually. Even if the common opinion that we haven't been playing man because of our lack of a quality FS is true, how long do you think it will take a rookie, if we draft one, to get up to speed enough to enable us to play man on any kind of regular basis? Are you relying on another total unknown in Cody Davis to fill that role. Again I can only salute your, IMO, totally unwarranted confidence in something you have never actually seen. As with Barrett Jones. More on him below.

He was joking lol.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram calling my attention to a faux pas:
This was a special request from me to Jrry. I needed some kool-aid. He's not being serious here. At least...i don't think so.

Sorry, I missed that.
images

You guys need to use blue for us hard of thinking posters. :LOL:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea, you're barking up the wrong tree, Alan. There were a couple guys that were stretches near the end(Newhouse and Fox). Winston may not be able to play OG but it's possible and Wade Smith is quality depth but he's not a good scheme fit. So you can take them out if you like. The rest? They're ALL quality depth at OG.

I think I have. I think I've analyzed Gregg Williams a good bit and I doubt Fisher would bring in Williams to tell him what plays to call. He fired Walton because he couldn't handle it.

We'll play some zone but I think you're mistaken if you believe we'll be playing zone like we did last year. Williams is big on bringing the blitz and manning up.

Verner was not a scheme fit. Williams, Fisher and Chuck Cecil all coached him. I think they have pretty good insight on whether he fits in our scheme or not. It's not like he was given $10 million a year. His contract was affordable...because teams didn't offer him big money because he isn't an ideal fit in their schemes. That's why he ended up signing with Tampa Bay for a significantly cheaper deal than Talib, Davis and Shields all received.

If you think I haven't analyzed this situation, you're SORELY mistaken.

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram needing to learn a valuable lesson:
Its all good. You want a drink too?
Never drink and smoke pot at the same time cause you can end up saying or doing something stupid.
Oh wait...I guess that ship has already sailed. :ROFLMAO: Sure! Dark beer if you have any. :)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Never drink and smoke pot at the same time cause you can end up saying or doing something stupid.
Oh wait...I guess that ship has already sailed. :ROFLMAO: Sure! Dark beer if you have any. :)

man, I have done that a few times, and regretted it big time lol. I do stupid stuff on each solo, combining them is like combining dumb and dumber into one.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 back with this:
Verner was not a scheme fit. Williams, Fisher and Chuck Cecil all coached him. I think they have pretty good insight on whether he fits in our scheme or not. It's not like he was given $10 million a year. His contract was affordable...because teams didn't offer him big money because he isn't an ideal fit in their schemes. That's why he ended up signing with Tampa Bay for a significantly cheaper deal than Talib, Davis and Shields all received.
Well I'm not going to debate the merits of those players you mentioned because we obviously aren't ever going to agree on them. I think they're all dregs who aren't even as good as what we had.

So moving on we get to your statement that I quoted above. Let's say that you're right about what you say there. What sense does it make to make any offer for a player who isn't a scheme fit. I see zero sense in that. I did agree with you that he was better in zone coverage but that's a far cry from saying he sucks at man. An opinion that apparently is seconded by Snisher and thus their attempt to sign him.

BTW, I said you hadn't analyzed the situation because I felt that was more polite than saying your analysis was crap. :LOL: I mean no offense by that jrry but I always try and be polite to my fellow posters. You seem to be a little upset over that. :( Perhaps in the future I'll be a little more direct but I meant no disrespect. Especially over something stupid like a difference of opinion.

Last edited: