Official Training Camp Thread - Day 9!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
@WestCoastRam & @CodeMonkey
That dude Battle looks like a pro....Does he play like he looks yet?
Since they haven't really played yet it's impossible to say. I will just say that you can see Battle's head above all the other guys when they're standing in a group. Havenstein looks great too. Those pictures of a fat guy when we drafted him are a damn far sight away from the guy I see in practice.

Ram65

Legend
Only 3 more open practices at Rams Park this camp, including today's at 3:30 p.m. Bring you signs, but make sure they're small. :)

That stinks! Only two open practices remaining.

OK first preseason game Friday Night 8-14-15 @Raidas!!!!:whistle:

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I can't imagine Battle winning a job in preseason. Could he win it during the year, possibly. Depends on him, probably depends more on if Havenstein falls apart. If Havenstein is serviceable, I just don't see it happening this year.
If Battle is the better player in preseason then he should be the right tackle. Just because Haverstien was drafted in the second round does not automatically make him the starter.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Frank Cignetti:”Everyday we’re pleased with the process”

Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti talks about the progress of the Rams offense this offseason.

Watch Cignetti's Comments

Cignetti needs to cut down on beginning every statement with "I'll tell you what." Just answer the question coach, it's that simple.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Interesting on Battle. As excited as I'd be for him to win an OL spot, I just don't see where. The only place he could is if he beat out Havenstein, which seems a little unlikely.

Definitely intriguing to watch this OL grow. We have a lot of super talented young pieces to plug in and it's going to be a great thing to watch for the future.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Battle is the better player in preseason then he should be the right tackle. Just because Haverstien was drafted in the second round does not automatically make him the starter.

You're absolutely right. Thank you for making a different, but very good point. ;)

RamzFanz

Damnit
My random observations:

It seemed a much more serious tone today.

There was a lot of work on the run game. Pead got a lot of reps and looked good.

I can't get over Battle. He is huge. Playing on the second team at LT, one has to wonder how long and where before this guy cracks the starting line up. He sure looks the part.

Where was Givens? He got a ton of playing time in the first practices but was almost unseen today. Maybe he was getting an autograph from Reverend Ike? We never saw Bruce. Damian Williams, Tyler Slavin, Isiah Ferguson and even Daniel Rodriguez got more work at WR. Coach likes Williams, who is actually a 6 year pro, to potentially take that last WR spot. Whoever gets it, Givens is on the bubble is the general feeling.

Rodriquez worked as the kick returner. Didn't see anybody else catch kicks today.

Tavon Austin was wearing number 1 today. He dances too much. He runs ten miles but doesn't gain a yard. That stuff doesn't work in the NFL very often.

The defense was not blitzing like crazy today. And, I didn't hear coach Williams yelling. Maybe Fish told him to lay off a little.

I was on the lookout for Jacob Hagen, number 43, for our our newest member @tinman1. He took part in special teams and some plays at safety in 11 on 11. No spectacular plays but he hustles. I read where he won the rookie "take the ball" contest. Apparently he has huge hands.

Zack Laskey did line up in the FB spot a few times but he is sure not the kind of body I picture as a traditional FB. Too Small. I suppose that sort of football has fallen by the wayside but I do not understand it...especially when you have an "impose your will" kind of team. Why not get a big trucking bruiser to run block for your Ferrari? The FB position is a relic for some reason.

Funny note: There was a guy in the audience yelling "get low and stick 'em!". This guy has was impossible to ignore and, according to Coach, has been kicked out of practice before by Spags. Coach put the over/under at 25 times he would yell his favorite phrase and that was about the right line. I counted close to 20. ha ha

Good report. Don't forget, get low and stick 'em! I'm watching you!

RamzFanz

Damnit

It's hard to show you're better unless you get to play the ones. I just like knowing he's there if we need him.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
A couple things guys. Its obvious that the scrimmage brought holy Hell down on most everyone involved. I'm sure the coaches breaking down the film first had a thick book of notes to share with ALL positions on the Whole team.

I'm not happy that Fisher seems to have had Coach Williams call off the constant Blitzes and great surprise Defenses as it IMHO was helping more than it was hurting IN THE LONG RUN. Coach Fisher wanted to throw the young OL a bone today knowing we don't have Mason busting through small creases. Glad Pead is making the most of his FINAL chance.

Also CONGRATS to Big BROCKERS on his new Baby Girl and his absence was a BIG DEAL not being next to Aaron Donald today and don't anyone think it did'nt make a big deal. Fairley has'nt impressed as much as our homegrown ones and C. Long being our oldest player is getting a Long rest this off season so far. He is worrisome as he stays nicked and dinged to keep him from 100% as many games as WE NEED him this Breakout Season. I see a new High Drafted DE next season. Fishers favorite. If we tank we might end up with OSU's BOSA to replace Long. Get well Chris. Let the team hire him a personal Massuse and accupuncturist if need be.

Am loving SO MUCH the pick up of the draft pick in the Supplemental on Battle who without OTA's and workouts with the team in the weightroom and bonding and lack of playbook shows he might of always been in trouble but he is NO DUMMY and we got a giant steal along with the youth and depth we already had on the OL. Glad if anyone does'nt EVER relax after starting game one as Battle could replace your ass if you don't STAY on the very TOP of your game. Love the pick so much now.

I think tons of the more complex offense goes in while prying eyes are not watching and Fisher goes pure Vanilla in first two pre-season games. Worried Tavon Austin has really dissapeared so far on the outside and what Fisher had said was a priority is much harder than we thought in getting him the ball. He was suppose to have worked with Randy Moss in his offseason but I can't imagine what they did. Its not showing yet. One of my biggest fears is his wasted talent.

I see lots of seam passes and short screens and dump offs to start the season. Shame T.A. route running lacks precision that Reverend Ike possesed. He should have worked out with IKE instead. Lots of small stuff I'll hold for some quieter times . Coach needs to never brag again about us doing well on penalties as they have doubled ever since he uttered those words. Thanks again Ramz Fanz your fun to be around and we really appreciate how you pick coach O's brain and you too have a good eye. We go behind the curtain in 2 more practices. Oxnard reporters get ready to report for us PLEASE.

RunRamRun

UDFA
could be they like his speed along with his size and he has pretty good hands. I heard laskey is around 237 pounds. Not huge but not really small either. How did his blocking look?

Good report. Zack Laskey did line up in the FB spot a few times but he is sure not the kind of body I picture as a traditional FB. Too Small. I suppose that sort of football has fallen by the wayside but I do not understand it...especially when you have an "impose your will" kind of team. Why not get a big truc

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 8/9: Offensive Progress

By Austin Lankford

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-89-Offensive-Progress/0e26a5f5-eaed-44a4-b8d3-16e2b22a8b29

The Rams took the field on Sunday in what was probably the hottest day of training camp so far, but head coach Jeff Fisher was happy with the way his team responded.

“They pushed right through it, which is impressive,” Fisher said. “We didn’t have to mention a thing and they pushed themselves through it and I was really impressed. They knew that we had to get through today and tomorrow, which are big days for us because then we start to taper off as we get closer to the preseason.”

Frank Cignetti also addressed media on Sunday for the first time since training camp opened and is pleased with the progress.

“We have a great staff and they do a great job teaching,” the first-year offensive coordinator said. “The players are doing an awesome job preparing and they’re bringing it out on the field. We’re getting great effort, we’re getting good execution, and every day you can see that we’re making progress.”

Cignetti also stated the offense is on its third time installing the playbook, and as the preseason nears, the players are becoming more comfortable. He specifically mentioned Nick Foles’ strong grasp of the offense to this point.

“He has adapted well and you can see it every day out here,” Cignetti said. “Every time he gets another rep at a concept, he sees it better and he’s more decisive in his decision making process. Every day we are pleased with the progress we are seeing with Nick.”

Both Fisher and Cignetti are also glad to have Case Keenum back in a Rams uniform with the potential of winning the back-up role behind Foles.

“What we like about Case is the game isn’t too fast for him,” Cignetti said. “He processes information very well, he’s smart, he’s a rhythmic passer, and he’s very accurate. We ask our quarterbacks to run the offense and keep us out of a bad play and he can come to the line of scrimmage and recognize the defense right now and make the proper adjustments.”

Keenum’s transition back to St. Louis has been smooth because the offense hasn’t altered too much from last year when Brian Schottenheimer was coordinating the unit.

“The foundation was in place when coach Schottenheimer put an offense in here for three years,” Cignetti said. “We tweaked it a little bit, but the foundation of the terminology and the core concepts were in place, so there is a lot of carry over.”

Fisher said the Rams wanted Keenum back from the Texans after he was signed off St. Louis’ practice squad last year, but didn’t know what Houston’s situation would be.

“So we decided that the best way to get Case back would be to offer them a future pick,” Fisher said. “He’s productive and he understands the offense in his second year in it. He’s further ahead than he was last year, he can make all the throws, and he’s got that enthusiasm and the 'it' factor in the huddle.”

With Cignetti nearing the end of his first full training camp as an OC he said he isn’t shocked at the progress the team has made.

“I’m not surprised at all because I think we have a great group of coaches and players who are committed to being the best they can be and every day,” Cignetti said. “We see our guys come out here and give great effort and execute.”

Fisher also likes the state of the offense heading into the first preseason game in Oakland, once again noting his confidence in his young offensive linemen.

“Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein are coming on, and Andrew [Donnal] is coming along,” Fisher said. “I’d like to get Cody [Wichmann] back out there and Demetrius [Rhaney] missed a lot of time last year due to injury so it’s been great for him too. We will wait and see how we fair against the Raiders and Cowboys in practice, but there’s no reason for me to think that they can’t line up and play.”

Fisher did say that one of the growing pains with young offensive linemen is learning to effectively communicate in the heat of a game.

“It’s the lack of reps and the lack of experience because if there’s a communication issue up front and you cut somebody loose, that’s a free run on your quarterback,” Fisher said. “So we have to make sure that doesn’t happen and at this point, they are getting their reps.”

SIGNING FORTSON

The Rams added defensive tackle Marcus Fortson to the roster late last week and he completed his first practice on Sunday. Fortson played in college at Miami and has been out of football since last August, although he did participate in this year’s veteran combine. He said he got the call from the Rams on Thursday and arrived in St. Louis that evening.

“I woke up Friday morning and had a full day of physicals, worked out and then signed,” Fortson said. “It was a major blessing, man.”

Fortson went undrafted in 2012 and was picked up by the Patriots where he spent time on both the practice squad and active roster.

“It’s all up to me at the end of the day,” Fortson said. “If I do what I need to do and work hard and put out good film, I should be good.”

DONALD'S ENCORE

Fisher said on Sunday that the 2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year is looking for a strong second season.

“He has worked very hard the entire offseason,” Fisher said. “He started this offseason on a mission and he’s in great shape. He knows that every snap he has a chance to win and he’s motivated by that. He’s going to be good for us and very hard to block this year.”

BRUCE VISITS CAMP

Hall of Fame wide receiver and Rams legend Isaac Bruce was present for Sunday’s practice.

“His career speaks for itself we have a lot of respect for the former players, whether they have played a year or ten years or a potential Hall of Famer,” Fisher said. “We just want to make sure they’re welcome here and you’ve seen a number of them through the years. The doors are open to any former player who wants to come out to practice or come in the building and say hello. We welcome them.”

BROCKERS' BABY

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers was absent for Sunday’s practice, but for a very good reason. His wife gave birth to a baby girl.

MaKaela Marie has made her arrival!!! 7 Ibs 11 oz 20 1/2 in. @ 2:37 pm today. Mummy's perfect lil princess
— Faith Brockers (@foreverFAITH_90) August 9, 2015

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'm watching you!!!!!!
smoking_monkey.gif

FRO

Legend
Interesting tidbit on the UDFAs. I thought it was going to be very hard for any to make the team anyways. This isn't 2012 where the roster was so bad that UDFAs we needed to fill roster spots. That being said it's sort of sad to see any UDFAs make it. Our roster has greatly benefited by UDFAs.