Official Training Camp Thread - Day 9!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Surprising with how Rhaney has seemed to be doing quite well and the others have been doing poorly more or less.

From what you have seen, do any truly seem like real starters, as in they could start for other teams? Or are they just all we have?

I have only watched Barnes exclusively with the ones and he looked every bit a starter today to my eye. I will focus on the other the last 2 open camps.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I have only watched Barnes exclusively with the ones and he looked every bit a starter today to my eye. I will focus on the other the last 2 open camps.
Thanks man. Glad to hear Barnes looking good.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Watching some of this hall of fame game makes me not worry about our OLine. Both teams had their starting OLine out for the first quarter plus a bit and both lines looked bad more often than not.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It seems we're all resigned to Cook having maxed out his ability but it's important to note that Cook hasn't had consistent QB play nor has he shown the kind of numbers he had at Tenn at the end.
Cook had career high catches last year...with backups...and I always figured he'd perform in the right circumstances...namely, good game plan with solid QB play...TE's still are a QBs best friend....love his measurables...

Didn't remember which thread I got this in Westcoast...

RamBill

Legend
Isaac Bruce, Jackie Joyner-Kersee make for star-studded Rams practice
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-kersee-make-for-a-star-studded-rams-practice

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis sports royalty attended Sunday's Rams practice.

Legendary Rams receiver Isaac Bruce and legendary track star Jackie Joyner-Kersee watched the Rams go through their paces for the two-plus hour workout in what was easily the hottest day of camp so far.

Bruce and Joyner-Kersee, who is from East St. Louis, Ill., �do some work for Mercy Sports Medicine and stopped by to watch the Sunday session. It was the first practice Joyner-Kersee has attended since the team moved to St. Louis in 1995.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has long been a proponent of welcoming former players and coaches back to the building and, of course, had no problems with Joyner-Kersee coming by too.

"[Bruce's] career speaks for itself and when we came in, the respect factor that we have for the former players whether they played one year or played 10 years or potential Hall of Famers," Fisher said. "We want to make sure that they're welcome. So you see a number of them over the years. ... The door is open to everybody. Any former player that wants to come out to practice or come in the building and say hi, we welcome them."

Bruce, who maintains his regular home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is spending his days running a gym he opened there as well as helping coach the Dillard High football team in his spare time.

-- Defensive tackle Michael Brockers did not participate in the practice but missed for the best of reasons: He became the father to a baby girl.

-- Among those sitting out the team portion of practice Sunday afternoon were running backs Tre Mason (hamstring) and Todd Gurley (knee), cornerbacks Brandon McGee (foot) and E.J. Gaines (foot), guard Cody Wichmann (calf), linebacker Korey Toomer (ankle), end Chris Long, defensive tackle Doug Worthington and safety Maurice Alexander. Tight end Brad Smelley also departed practice early for what appeared to be a hand injury.

-- With no Mason and no Gurley, Benny Cunningham continues to get a lot of work with the first-team offense. Cunningham looks quick, decisive and completely comfortable in the confines of the offense. The Rams clearly will be a better team with Gurley and/or Mason but they have to feel like Cunningham is a really solid option as the No. 3 back and not just on third down.

-- Former Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery also attended Sunday's practice.

-- The rotation at center started back at the top with Tim Barnes. As expected, offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti made it clear the Rams would like to see their centers in game settings before settling on a starter.

-- Coordinator Gregg Williams had his charges working hard early and often, including a round of up/downs early in practice. Had to be tough given the 70 percent humidity and a heat index nearing triple digits.

-- The Rams continued to have some issues with pre-snap penalties. It's an area Fisher said is a point of emphasis but in the two practices since he mentioned how much better it had been in camp, it's taken a turn for the worse.

-- Some highlights from the practice: Quarterback Austin Davis connected with receiver Brian Quick for a long gain down the right sideline during team drills. ... Undrafted cornerback Imoan Claiborne, who missed Saturday's special teams practice, returned with a couple of interceptions in a three-play span. ... Receiver Damian Williams made a nice touchdown catch over cornerback Marcus Roberson in the corner of the end zone during one-on-ones. The catch drew Bruce's approval.

-- The Rams are back at it Monday with practice set for 4:30 p.m. ET. It is the penultimate open practice for fans in St. Louis in this training camp.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
My random observations:

It seemed a much more serious tone today.

There was a lot of work on the run game. Pead got a lot of reps and looked good.

I can't get over Battle. He is huge. Playing on the second team at LT, one has to wonder how long and where before this guy cracks the starting line up. He sure looks the part.

Where was Givens? He got a ton of playing time in the first practices but was almost unseen today. Maybe he was getting an autograph from Reverend Ike? We never saw Bruce. Damian Williams, Tyler Slavin, Isiah Ferguson and even Daniel Rodriguez got more work at WR. Coach likes Williams, who is actually a 6 year pro, to potentially take that last WR spot. Whoever gets it, Givens is on the bubble is the general feeling.

Rodriquez worked as the kick returner. Didn't see anybody else catch kicks today.

Tavon Austin was wearing number 1 today. He dances too much. He runs ten miles but doesn't gain a yard. That stuff doesn't work in the NFL very often.

The defense was not blitzing like crazy today. And, I didn't hear coach Williams yelling. Maybe Fish told him to lay off a little.

I was on the lookout for Jacob Hagen, number 43, for our our newest member @tinman1. He took part in special teams and some plays at safety in 11 on 11. No spectacular plays but he hustles. I read where he won the rookie "take the ball" contest. Apparently he has huge hands.

Zack Laskey did line up in the FB spot a few times but he is sure not the kind of body I picture as a traditional FB. Too Small. I suppose that sort of football has fallen by the wayside but I do not understand it...especially when you have an "impose your will" kind of team. Why not get a big trucking bruiser to run block for your Ferrari? The FB position is a relic for some reason.

Funny note: There was a guy in the audience yelling "get low and stick 'em!". This guy has was impossible to ignore and, according to Coach, has been kicked out of practice before by Spags. Coach put the over/under at 25 times he would yell his favorite phrase and that was about the right line. I counted close to 20. ha ha

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Cook had career high catches last year...with backups...and I always figured he'd perform in the right circumstances...namely, good game plan with solid QB play...TE's still are a QBs best friend....love his measurables...

Didn't remember which thread I got this in Westcoast...

Very true man but I think he's still south of his highest yardage total. I'd love to see him hit 800 yards. I don't think that's insane if the offense just plays better than last year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Watching some of this hall of fame game makes me not worry about our OLine. Both teams had their starting OLine out for the first quarter plus a bit and both lines looked bad more often than not.

Watching it as well, and agree, the lines look bad.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My random observations:

I can't get over Battle. He is huge. Playing on the second team at LT, one has to wonder how long and where before this guy cracks the starting line up. He sure looks the part.

If Battle had been in our original draft class, I think he'd be playing at RT ahead of Havenstein. Missing OTAs and having the playbook afterwards has really set him behind.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If Battle had been in our original draft class, I think he'd be playing at RT ahead of Havenstein. Missing OTAs and having the playbook afterwards has really set him behind.

Agreed.

Edit... Let me back up a little...Havenstenstein looks fantastic too. I'll just say I'm excited by what I see in both guys.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what if this guy challenges for RT and wins it without OTAs, etc? How good would that be (and not because Havenstein didn't do well, btw)

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can't imagine Battle winning a job in preseason. Could he win it during the year, possibly. Depends on him, probably depends more on if Havenstein falls apart. If Havenstein is serviceable, I just don't see it happening this year.