OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've got plenty of OG's if we'd just play them (Saffold & GRob), we also have decent depth with Brown, Donnal & Wichmann, ... what we really need is a starting LT and Center, so rather than screw around with Saffold or Robinson any more, just fill what we know needs filling.

Kromer's philosophy (which I agree wholeheartedly with) is to build from the inside out. I don't think he's going to be content with the interior OL. I see this team going out and paying one of the top OGs on the market while also adding a Center in the draft and/or FA.

I think he'll roll with Saffold or Greg at LT. He might bring in competition if there's a FA or draft pick that he likes. But I don't see him sticking Saffold and Greg at OG and saying, "We're good."

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Kromer's philosophy (which I agree wholeheartedly with) is to build from the inside out. I don't think he's going to be content with the interior OL. I see this team going out and paying one of the top OGs on the market while also adding a Center in the draft and/or FA.

I think he'll roll with Saffold or Greg at LT. He might bring in competition if there's a FA or draft pick that he likes. But I don't see him sticking Saffold and Greg at OG and saying, "We're good."

That's standard from within. It's the same if you say we are building a foundation, and are going to reinforce its structure to grow.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Saw a thing on Connor Barwin likely getting cut from the Eagles. He would be a real good fit across from Quinn I think.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Saw a thing on Connor Barwin likely getting cut from the Eagles. He would be a real good fit across from Quinn I think.

He plays fast @'with good energy .

Rams need to figure out the CB spot first. -- What happens with Josh Forrest ?? I think he might be a good fit.

This Corey Littleton won Rams rookie of the year being udfa.

The thing that sucks right now is from the standpoint of what McVay said , or Komer said. He can see how a guy is going to be by just working with him for a short time.
In Greg Robinsons case they like what he brings on film. They say right now they are like scouts. You really don't know the player. From that aspect with Free agents coming up they don't get a chance to know there own players first.

They have to trust Snead & general info.
It makes sense to bring in a D . Jackson ior Garçon because of there relationship & knowledge.
It will be interesting to see the direction The Rams go in FA.

-- I think finding a center is very important. They got some good scouting in & The Rams coaching will be able to work the team before the draft. That is a plus for them. Funny how Fisher didn't take advantage of all the practice time the team was allowed.It is crazy the lack of practice time the coaches get with there players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One FA Every NFL Team Should Sign

[www.msn.com]

AAmLt6k.img

LOS ANGELES RAMS: RONALD LEARY, OG (COWBOYS)
If the Rams want to get Todd Gurley going, Leary would be a perfect fit. He’s an elite run blocker and has been great for the Cowboys at left guard. He’s the type of player Gurley could put his head down and run behind, gaining good yardage consistently. Leary can also hold his own in pass protection, too.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Potential trade bait for a thumper ? Thought this was interesting as many here spoke highly of him last year. Would come with a reasonable CAP, but likely a fairly expensive trade.

RotoWorld :
According to the Buffalo News' Vic Carucci, it "remains to be seen" if 2016 second-round LB Reggie Ragland fits in new coach Sean McDermott's defensive scheme.

The Bills traded up to select Ragland last year only to see him tear his ACL and miss his entire rookie season. He was projected to be a terrific fit in ex-coach Rex Ryan's 3-4 as an inside thumper, but Ragland's future is now unclear. At 6'2/252, there may only be room for either Ragland or Preston Brown (6'1/251) at middle linebacker. In Carolina, both of McDermott's outside linebackers -- Thomas Davis (6'1/231) and Shaq Thompson (6'1/220) -- were speedy and athletic. Ragland isn't cut from that same cloth.

Source: Buffalo News
Feb 10 - 12:01 PM
I liked Ragland in last years Draft, but he didn't fit our system. Now with Phillips changing us to a 3-4, maybe he deserves a look!! After Phillips has a chance to take a good look at what the Rams already have!(y);):D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

View: https://twitter.com/rotoworld_fb/status/830087696114671616

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski expects the Eagles to trade SLB Mychal Kendricks.

In August of 2015, Kendricks signed a big extension worth $29 million over four years. He was a great fit in the previous 3-4 system, but Kendricks immediately fell out of favor under current DC Jim Schwartz, who didn't really have a spot for Kendricks. He ended up playing just 273 snaps in 2016. Shedding Kendricks will likely be one of EVP Howie Roseman's top priorities. The former No. 46 overall pick turns 27 later this summer and is due a $4.85 million salary.

There's more smoke. He'd be interesting next to Ogletree.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One FA Every NFL Team Should Sign

[www.msn.com]

AAmLt6k.img

LOS ANGELES RAMS: RONALD LEARY, OG (COWBOYS)
If the Rams want to get Todd Gurley going, Leary would be a perfect fit. He’s an elite run blocker and has been great for the Cowboys at left guard. He’s the type of player Gurley could put his head down and run behind, gaining good yardage consistently. Leary can also hold his own in pass protection, too.

Just some small negative stuff here on the soon to be 28 yr old Ron Leary. Ron Leary went undrafted in 2012 due to degenerative left knee condition that was said could potentially cut his NFL career short. Had two back to back good seasons starting @ OLG (2013/2014) in 2015 Rookie La'el Collins beat Leary out of his starting LG post early plus he had all kinds of injury issues. In 2016 Collins was the starting OLG over Leary again until Collins was injured & IR'd. Leary's left side partner was the best LT in the NFL too. He will not have that here.
http://www.nfl.com/player/ronaldleary/2533454/combine

I would have no issues with the signing of Ron Leary to take up residency @ Rodger Saffold home post. The going rate cost $$$ for this starting LG will be very high over 9 million a season.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ron-leary-10312/market-value/

I would prefer to first go after Andrew Whitworth or Riley Reiff @ LT but that will be very hard to accomplish. A Ron Leary signing on that left side may be the next best move.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Leary's left side partner was the best LT in the NFL too. He will not have that here.

And let's not forget his right side partner either, Frederick is arguably the best Center in the game. I was screaming it to the rafters during his draft, but my voice couldn't produce an echo in our forums, much less the Rams front offices. Leary would be smart to stay right where he is if the money is offered. Couldn't ask to be sandwiched between two better offensive linemen. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There's more smoke. He'd be interesting next to Ogletree.
Maybe Snead could do a deal where we give them two veteran 43 DE's Wm Hayes & Eugene Sims for a 34 ILB Kendricks & veteran center Jason Kelce?

Jeff Fisher's former DC Jim Schwartz is going to go to a 43 this season. The DE position was said to be the best unit on the team in 2016 but turned out to be a major disappointment. They did get some strong play of Brandon Graham, but the Eagles didn't get good production from Connor Barwin or Vinny Curry.

Vinny Curry could bounce back but Schwartz is sure to desire some versatile DE'ers like these two Fisher favorites. Schwartz would get a good report from Fisher on this.

Wage Phillips having an experienced ILB'er like Kendricks would give him some options if he wanted to have a player like the 6-2 245 pound Ogletree @ the left OLB post.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would prefer to first go after Andrew Whitworth or Riley Reiff @ LT but that will be very hard to accomplish. A Ron Leary signing on that left side may be the next best move.

Not fan of Riley Reiff, he cannot play LT IMHO, love Whitworth would be shocked if he signs anywhere, but where post season is more of a guarantee.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe Snead could do a deal where we give them two veteran 43 DE's Wm Hayes & Eugene Sims for a 34 ILB Kendricks & veteran center Jason Kelce?

Jeff Fisher's former DC Jim Schwartz is going to go to a 43 this season. The DE position was said to be the best unit on the team in 2016 but turned out to be a major disappointment. They did get some strong play of Brandon Graham, but the Eagles didn't get good production from Connor Barwin or Vinny Curry.

Vinny Curry could bounce back but Schwartz is sure to desire some versatile DE'ers like these two Fisher favorites. Schwartz would get a good report from Fisher on this.

Wage Phillips having an experienced ILB'er like Kendricks would give him some options if he wanted to have a player like the 6-2 245 pound Ogletree @ the left OLB post.

Ogletree won't be playing outside. Doesn't have that skill-set.

I also don't think Kelce fits Kromer's system. Kromer normally looks for bigger, stronger guys.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just some small negative stuff here on the soon to be 28 yr old Ron Leary. Ron Leary went undrafted in 2012 due to degenerative left knee condition that was said could potentially cut his NFL career short. Had two back to back good seasons starting @ OLG (2013/2014) in 2015 Rookie La'el Collins beat Leary out of his starting LG post early plus he had all kinds of injury issues. In 2016 Collins was the starting OLG over Leary again until Collins was injured & IR'd. Leary's left side partner was the best LT in the NFL too. He will not have that here.

Respectfully, I disagree. Collins didn't beat out Leary. The Cowboys played him because of how young and talented he is. Leary outplayed Collins when he was on the field. He actually significantly outplayed Collins in 2016.

Yes, Leary had quality players next to him. But Leary certainly contributed to all of it. He's a good OG.

I would have no issues with the signing of Ron Leary to take up residency @ Rodger Saffold home post. The going rate cost $$$ for this starting LG will be very high over 9 million a season.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ron-leary-10312/market-value/

I think Leary gets 5 years $40 million. I'd pay him that.

The Bengals reportedly want to keep Whitworth, and Whitworth reportedly wants to stay. The Lions moved Reiff from LT to RT because he wasn't cutting it there. That's not the type of player I want to pay in FA.

Plus, Kromer's philosophy is to build inside out. Kromer believes that building a strong interior OL will significantly improve tackle play.

And let's not forget his right side partner either, Frederick is arguably the best Center in the game. I was screaming it to the rafters during his draft, but my voice couldn't produce an echo in our forums, much less the Rams front offices. Leary would be smart to stay right where he is if the money is offered. Couldn't ask to be sandwiched between two better offensive linemen. jmo.

The Cowboys don't have the money to keep Leary. They already have La'El Collins in-house to replace him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
..... don't think Kelce fits Kromer's system. Kromer normally looks for bigger, stronger guys.

Well then Aaron Kromer should be very happy with the overall size & power of this young Ram OL unit. But they sure need a fine major tune up, some major replacement parts & a total rewiring connection.;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Evening @den-the-coach

The 2017 UFA's OLT is small in numbers & small in talent period. Fact is those two would be the best that there is out there to pick from. If you don't like Reiff you are sure not going to like the others. Odds are not in the Rams favor in finding a good UFA OLT. Do you have a better UFA OLT plan? What would you do if it were your call @ LT?

Andrew Whitworth might reconsider ........to the warm sunny rich natural grass stadium for one last season but it will cost big.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evening @den-the-coach

The 2017 UFA's OLT is small in numbers & small in talent period. Fact is those two would be the best that there is out there to pick from. If you don't like Reiff you are sure not going to like the others. Odds are not in the Rams favor in finding a good UFA OLT. Do you have a better UFA OLT plan? What would you do if it were your call @ LT?

Andrew Whitworth might reconsider ........to the warm sunny rich natural grass stadium for one last season but it will cost big.

I let Greg and Saffold battle for the job. Unfortunately, we have what we have this year. If it doesn't work out, we can go after a LT in FA or the draft (when we have a 1st round pick) next year.

We'll see what the Rams do. But if I'm spending big FA money on an OL, I need to get a quality starter. Getting a mediocre LT doesn't do anything for this team imo. A good/great OG does far more for this OL than a mediocre LT.

Whitworth would be great, but I don't think it's happening.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Do you have a better UFA OLT plan? What would you do if it were your call @ LT?

Cleveland has a ton of draft picks and a ton of CAP space, ... as well as our old 4/3 DC Greg Williams. I trade Hayes, Ogletree & Barron for LT Joe Thomas, ILB Christian Kirksey & their #33 pick in the 2'nd round. The Browns would still have 2 first round picks, including the overall #1 and a second round pick after the trade, the Rams would now have 2 high second round picks. The Rams also gain another near $6mil. in available CAP space above the near $39.mil they already have. jmo. :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cleveland has a ton of draft picks and a ton of CAP space, ... as well as our old 4/3 DC Greg Williams. I trade Hayes, Ogletree & Barron for LT Joe Thomas, ILB Christian Kirksey & their #33 pick in the 2'nd round. The Browns would still have 2 first round picks, including the overall #1 and a second round pick after the trade, the Rams would now have 2 high second round picks. The Rams also gain another near $6mil. in available CAP space above the near $39.mil they already have. jmo. :D

Why not just trade Hayes, Ogletree, and Barron for the #1 overall pick? ;)

No offense but you're dreaming if you think that's a realistic trade offer. Joe Thomas for Ogletree might be doable (but I think it would be a silly move to make). Barron and Hayes aren't worth the #33 pick.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why not just trade Hayes, Ogletree, and Barron for the #1 overall pick? ;)

No offense but you're dreaming if you think that's a realistic trade offer. Joe Thomas for Ogletree might be doable (but I think it would be a silly move to make). Barron and Hayes aren't worth the #33 pick.

OK, then the Cleveland 52 pick. Look, i'm just having some fun with BonifayRam, i'm not expecting it to go down, ... these player for player trades are pretty rare. I don't think my trade values are all that out of line, but I'll aways favor the Rams getting the better end of the stick. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK, then the Cleveland 52 pick. Look, i'm just having some fun with BonifayRam, i'm not expecting it to go down, ... these player for player trades are pretty rare. I don't think my trade values are all that out of line, but I'll aways favor the Rams getting the better end of the stick. jmo.

I don't see us getting more than Thomas, Kirksey, and a Day 3 pick. And again, it's not a deal that I'd love.