OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

"So whoever holds his rights after the season will be able to keep him in place another year under one of the various RFA tenders."

He's not saying that he's staying a Brown, just that they might keep him. Which... I don't see Cleveland doing. Many experts and journalists have written about Los Angeles Rams being a good fit for Gordon, written after your article...

I'm no expert, definitely a noob when it comes to NFL, but... the possibility of having Gordon on this team, I get really excited and wonder about the possibilities.

Take a look at some of these write ups:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-daily-focus-the-3-best-team-fits-for-josh-gordon/
"2. Los Angeles Rams: While the Rams added their quarterback of the future with the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft, they still lack a top-end wide receiver. Heading into the 2016 season, their starting wide receivers look to be Kenny Britt (76.1), Tavon Austin (60.3) and rookie Pharoh Cooper. Austin is not without value, rushing for 434 yards and forcing 14 missed tackles on 52 carries last year, as well as forcing 19 missed tackles on 52 receptions, but throughout his three year career he has graded poorly as a receiver. Britt was a solid big-play threat last year, and was 13th among wide receivers in the NFL with 382 yards on passes travelling 20 yards or more downfield last year, but also dropped five of the 41 catchable passes thrown his way, and lacks the consistency needed to be a top wide receiver. Adding Gordon would give the Rams a viable number one receiver for new quarterback Jared Goff."

http://isportsweb.com/2016/11/06/why-josh-gordon-and-the-los-angeles-rams-would-be-a-perfect-match/
"A Perfect Match"

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2016/12/08/The-201718-LA-Rams-blueprint-to-get-over-the-dreaded-playoff-draught
"Step 5: Sign WR Josh Gordon, LT Matt Kalil, C Eric Kush

With Josh Gordon it's not really going to be up to him commanding money. He really doesn't have a leg to stand on in demanding a big deal since he really hasn't played much outside of pre-season in two years. He still showed flashes in pre-season and is highly talented. He is only 25-years old and while he may seem like a risk, he's a risk the Rams really should have already taken. He won't receive more than five-million annually which is perfect for the Rams. In a scenario where Britt leaves or even if he stays I believe the best option would be Terelle Pryor, but he is going to cost too much and Browns will be able to pay him what he wants easier than the Rams."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Josh Gordon crap pops up every year. He's played 5 games over the past three years because of suspensions. He still hasn't been reinstated yet. The Rams would be fools to count on that guy.

I don't care if they bring him in if it costs us nothing (as long as they don't actually expect him to play). But people really need to stop deluding themselves when it comes to that kid. He's always prioritized alcohol and pot over his football career.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well then Aaron Kromer should be very happy with the overall size & power of this young Ram OL unit. But they sure need a fine major tune up, some major replacement parts & a total rewiring connection.;)
Will be very interesting with all the young offensive linemen.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I let Greg and Saffold battle for the job. Unfortunately, we have what we have this year. If it doesn't work out, we can go after a LT in FA or the draft (when we have a 1st round pick) next year.

We'll see what the Rams do. But if I'm spending big FA money on an OL, I need to get a quality starter. Getting a mediocre LT doesn't do anything for this team imo. A good/great OG does far more for this OL than a mediocre LT.

Whitworth would be great, but I don't think it's happening.

All I got to say is F - Saffold !!!!

Seriously not a fan of his !!!

Injury thing has nothing to do with it either. I'm very intrigued by Komer coming in and trying to straighten the O'line out .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I got to say is F - Saffold !!!!

Seriously not a fan of his !!!

Injury thing has nothing to do with it either. I'm very intrigued by Komer coming in and trying to straighten the O'line out .

Neither am I. But there's not a better LT on the market (other than Whitworth who reportedly wants to re-sign with the Bengals). And he fits Kromer's scheme well. My hope is that Greg wins the job.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My hope is that Greg wins the job.

I believe all of us are hoping that the light comes on for Robinson, hopefully, Kromer can get him to spend more time in the film room then the weight room.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe all of us are hoping that the light comes on for Robinson, hopefully, Kromer can get him to spend more time in the film room then the weight room.

Guess I am all alone again because I would not fit into "hoping the light comes on Greg Robinson" @ LT. But I do have hope for all of our OL'ers since there is reason to hope that with a new HC, a new OC, new offense scheme & a brand new OL coach, In addition the OT's will get a class on McVay's OT Stretch/Outside Zone Scheme. So that's a bunch of new stuff going on here for GRob to consume.

Since GRob's arrival he has lined up most of the time next to Rodger Saffold then Jamon Brown & Garrett Reynolds. The best (by far) effective period of time as the OLT starter came when GRob was teamed with veteran WWC Garrett Reynolds. Has any member here gave any recent thoughts that signing UFA OLG Garrett Reynolds back in here & let him know this time that Garrett can start @ LG all season if he can get GRob back to that level of late season 2015 performance?

Now that Paul Boudreau & Jeff Fisher & Boras are all gone Garrett Reynolds may not be pissed off at the Rams any longer. Garrett looked to me to have gotten the shaft by one or two of the coaches names above. Because by October Garrett was getting try-outs by other teams so his injury must have not been as bad as we were lead to believe. Eventually Garrett signed late with the Lions. If Snead did get OG Garrett Reynolds back maybe then you guys would let me join you guys around the peanut boil hoping party for GRob.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
"So whoever holds his rights after the season will be able to keep him in place another year under one of the various RFA tenders."

He's not saying that he's staying a Brown, just that they might keep him. Which... I don't see Cleveland doing. Many experts and journalists have written about Los Angeles Rams being a good fit for Gordon, written after your article...

I'm no expert, definitely a noob when it comes to NFL, but... the possibility of having Gordon on this team, I get really excited and wonder about the possibilities.

"Step 5: Sign WR Josh Gordon, LT Matt Kalil, C Eric Kush
I'd take Gordon in a heartbeat so long as it's a highly incentivized low cost 'show me' type contract, but he's an RFA, so we'll have to see how Cleveland designates or offers him.
I've already allowed for a Matt Kalil or William Beatty in mocks and posts, but again with the 'prove it' contracts. Kush would be fine as a back-up if we can't get Wichmann to work, although I still want a much better player than Barnes starting. jmo.

Last edited:

ninedeuce

Rookie
I'd take Gordon in a heartbeat so long as it's a highly incentivized low cost 'show me' type contract, but he's an RFA, so we'll have to see how Cleveland designates or offers him.
I've already allowed for a Matt Kalil or William Beatty in mocks and posts, but again with the 'prove it' contracts. Kush would be fine as a back-up if we can't get Wichmann to work, although I still want a much better player than Barnes starting. jmo.

Josh Gordon + Kush = a lifetime ban

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Roger Saffold is worthless as a veteran presence and team leader. While lining up next to GRob he has done nothing to help him, Garrett Reynolds, when he played LG the last 6 games of '15, coincided when the best the Rams OL has played, mentoring GRob to have a 6 game string of no false starts, no holding penalties and not allowing a sack.

Not only has Saffold not developed into a team leader, his play has regressed.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Roger Saffold is worthless as a veteran presence and team leader. While lining up next to GRob he has done nothing to help him, Garrett Reynolds, when he played LG the last 6 games of '15, coincided when the best the Rams OL has played, mentoring GRob to have a 6 game string of no false starts, no holding penalties and not allowing a sack.

Not only has Saffold not developed into a team leader, his play has regressed.
I have mentioned Garrett's impact a few times - totally agree he had a positive impact on the line. Never understood what happened there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Roger Saffold is worthless as a veteran presence and team leader. While lining up next to GRob he has done nothing to help him, Garrett Reynolds, when he played LG the last 6 games of '15, coincided when the best the Rams OL has played, mentoring GRob to have a 6 game string of no false starts, no holding penalties and not allowing a sack.Not only has Saffold not developed into a team leader, his play has regressed.

Late Morning hello bubba ,while I would fully agree with you here that OLG Garrett Reynolds outplayed Rodger Saffold in 2015 over the last half of the season, Saffold's skills & abilities should be shifted from the interior back to specifically the Left OT position. I would add that GR was the best starting Ram OG in 2015. What really happen to GR & Boudreau?

New HC McVay is in no position to cut ties with the only bona fide NFL caliber LT on the team right now. Rodger Saffold may be our only real hope in 2017 @ starting LT because I know GRob isn't. Garrett started 11 games for the Rams in 2015 & proved to have earned the starting LG post next to GRob in 2016.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/7...s-roster-preview-depth-chart-garrett-reynolds

I never understood why early last season in training camp & pre season Boudreau yanked Garrett Reynolds from the starting LG post & exclusively worked GR on the RIGHT side primarily working GR as the 2nd & 3rd team right OG. If you recall Boudreau also yanked late 2015 starter @ RG Cody Wichmann & had him working @ starting LG instead? . Meanwhile Boudreau had Jamon Brown as 1st team RG? Rodger Saffold was the starting RT & doing very well at it. After the first season game 3 of the 5 OL post had new players in the starting positions:headexplosion:.

GR was injured late in the KC game playing as Boudreau's 3rd string ORG. Fisher gave out zero news on this injury nothing! Then when the final 53 player roster was posted GR went to the IR:thinking:. Ok then September 9th, 2016 Fisher released GR from the IR with a injury settlement?? By October last yr the next thing I read is GR was working out for other teams trying to get a roster spot. GR ended up back on the Lions active player roster. All that sound right to you bubba?:rant:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
To not recognize GRob's six game streatch of very good play and not continue to develop on it is all on coaching.

And a "good morning" to you also Bonifay.

I think you may be early on discounting GRob at LT. Playing six games in a row without penalties, picking up blitz' and not giving up a sack is no mean feat in the NFL and proves to me GRob CAN play LT on a consistent level.

Let's wait and see what Kromer can do with this OL before we throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
To not recognize GRob's six game streatch of very good play and not continue to develop on it is all on coaching.
After a half decade as the Rams OL coach what can be said positive about Paul Boudreau's Ram legacy during that time?

Got rid of OLT Jason Smith when he arrived in 2012.
Refurbished veteran washed out OLT Wayne Hunter in 2012 to start for 4 games.
Transformed WWC OT Robert Turner into a starting center & LG in 2012?
Refurbished washed out veteran ORT Barry Richardson for 1 full season 2012.

Refurbished washed out LG Chris Williams to start 16 in 2013.
WWC ORT Joe Barksdale to start 16 games @ RT in 2013.
WWC Practice Squad center Tim Barnes to 53 player roster & finish 5 games as starting center 2013.

After those above listed events in 2012 & 2013 finding positives on Paul Boudreau was very hard.