OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless, or on the condition his hands have improved?

I think Thomas is every bit the special teamer that Marquez is. And I think Thomas has shown a lot more potential at WR.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Terrelle Pryor went to camp as a wide receiver last year. This isn't his first year as a WR.

Those plays still don't count. They don't put him on pace for 1000 yards. He didn't catch the ball.

I get it. I don't care. Jackson and Garcon have a proven track record. Britt does not. How do you not get that?

Go look at what happened the last time Jeff Fisher was fired. Britt became a locker room cancer. We already had some issues with Britt quitting on routes in 2016. I don't trust Britt.

Give me a WR who knows the system with a track record of success over Britt.

I said that we should sign a guy like Jackson or Stills to fill the deep threat role and then either sign a FA or draft a WR to fill the possession WR role.

I'm not saying target Jackson or Garcon JUST BECAUSE of McVay. The fact that they know McVay's system is only a benefit. I'd be saying target Jackson or Garcon if we had hired Kyle Shanahan. They're proven veteran WRs.

Actually, we are cautious about throwing a bunch of money at a guy with only one year of production on a bad team.

I do think Josh Gordon was overrated by people making similar arguments that you have.(trying to build him up because he played on the Browns)

I'm not much interested in continuing to bet on underachievers. Goff deserves a safe bet.

Lmao he pulled his hamstring in camp in 2015 only had 1 catch in the 2015. So yes last year was his first year in camp and playing as a wr.

You said Britt didn't catch the ball that's because the QB couldn't get it to him. It's funny how you say that doesn't count when you are the one that Loves projections or when it comes to Goff about his good throws that get dropped you still use that as a sign that Goff is ready. But I guess you use what you can to support your arguments: which I commend and you do a great job of that.

You might be the only one that says Josh Gordon is overrated when he is on the field.

I'm just go let the people who get paid to make these decision to make them and see how they improve the team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lmao he pulled his hamstring in camp in 2015 only had 1 catch in the 2015. So yes last year was his first year in camp and playing as a wr.

No, it wasn't. You just admitted it wasn't. That would as incorrect as somebody claiming that 2017 is Jared Goff's first year as a starting QB.

You said Britt didn't catch the ball that's because the QB couldn't get it to him. It's funny how you say that doesn't count when you are the one that Loves projections or when it comes to Goff about his good throws that get dropped you still use that as a sign that Goff is ready. But I guess you use what you can to support your arguments: which I commend and you do a great job of that.

Goff has been in the NFL for one year. Britt has been in the NFL for eight years. I won't be recommending we throw a bunch of money at Goff if all you can say about him after eight years is that he would have produced if not for other people.

Kenny Britt's track record is what it is. I don't trust him. If Fisher had been a better coach and was still here, it would be a different story.

You might be the only one that says Josh Gordon is overrated when he is on the field.

That doesn't bother me. There are people who claim he's better than A.J. Green, Antonio Brown, etc. when he's on the field. I have no problem saying he's overrated when they claim that.

I'm just go let the people who get paid to make these decision to make them and see how they improve the team.

It's not like we have a choice in that. :LOL:

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think Thomas is every bit the special teamer that Marquez is. And I think Thomas has shown a lot more potential at WR.

I agree with you completely, but if Thomas & Marquez equal in special teams, would you be comfortable keeping him over a sure-handed possession guy in Marquez?

Potential is great and all, and I agree Thomas has the higher potential, but we can't keep holding onto guys with bad hands.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I agree with you completely, but if Thomas & Marquez equal in special teams, would you be comfortable keeping him over a sure-handed possession guy in Marquez?

Potential is great and all, and I agree Thomas has the higher potential, but we can't keep holding onto guys with bad hands.
I do agree that we need WR's can actually receive, but I would say give Thomas more than 1 rookie season to prove himself and his hands. He's a 6th rounder, and that was one of his issues in college. I don't know the numbers on his actual drops this season, my guess is 3, and of course the one in Seattle was huge, but I don't think he dropped as many passes as people think he did. And a whole offseason working on catching is an attainable goal, he seems to grasp everything else better than most. He has shown great separation at the pro level. Bottom line, I think it's too early to cast a guy off after only a few games of his rookie year.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I can see Barron moving to SS and playing the TJ ward role. Last year Phillips used Ward in the box, to cover TEs, and as a nickel LB. Barron can be that same type of versatile. Barron surprisingly hasn't really been able to play any true SS because most of his NFL safety experience came in a cover 2 scheme even though you could argue that is his best position. IMO he can be every bit as good as Landon Collins playing SS if he is used in the right way.

Im also not too concerned keeping Mo at FS in this scheme. As rams fans we should all know the limitations Darian Stewart has a starting FS, but he still excelled in Phillips scheme. Mo has some the same limitations but is bigger and more athletic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes. Marquez doesn't really offer much as a receiver.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see Barron moving to SS and playing the TJ ward role. Last year Phillips used Ward in the box, to cover TEs, and as a nickel LB. Barron can be that same type of versatile. Barron surprisingly hasn't really been able to play any true SS because most of his NFL safety experience came in a cover 2 scheme even though you could argue that is his best position. IMO he can be every bit as good as Landon Collins playing SS if he is used in the right way.

Im also not too concerned keeping Mo at FS in this scheme. As rams fans we should all know the limitations Darian Stewart has a starting FS, but he still excelled in Phillips scheme. Mo has some the same limitations but is bigger and more athletic.

Agreed. I trust Phillips. He builds a scheme around what he has. Ideally, we could move Joyner to FS and Alexander to SS. But I'm not sure that happens this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rotoworld is citing a Cincinnati reporter saying the Bengals won't resign Zeitler based on his salary expectations of around $12 million a year.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rotoworld is citing a Cincinnati reporter saying the Bengals won't resign Zeitler based on his salary expectations of around $12 million a year.

Would we pay that? I have absolutely 0 knowledge when it comes to things like this.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Would we pay that? I have absolutely 0 knowledge when it comes to things like this.

I highly doubt we would pay that considering our many other problem areas. $12.mil. would almost double what both Robinson & Saffold get. I believe the Rams bringing in coach Kromer is more about developing young talent & what we have than signing the most expensive ace in the hole available, although I do expect to see some new faces on the OL, i'd be very surprised if Zeitler were one of them. Even if we did sign him we'd still be left with open sores at Center and LT to deal with. jmo.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
desean jackson wants to stay in washington.
so much for being so close with mcvay.
i thought he is from la.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
desean jackson wants to stay in washington.
so much for being so close with mcvay.
i thought he is from la.

Works for me, id rather we have Garcon anyway. Those gang roots are too close to home for me to feel comfortable with him working the neighborhood. Maybe word leaked to Jackson's agent that the Rams would prefer to look elsewhere. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washi...-desean-jackson-makes-it-clear-i-want-be-here

After spending the last three seasons with the Redskins, wide receiver DeSean Jackson wants to stick around.

The nine-year veteran, who is set to become a free agent next month, spoke to Larry Michael on Redskins Nation on CSN and expressed his desire to re-sign with the Redskins.

“I want to be here,” said Jackson, who led the NFL with his average of 17.9 yards per reception in 2016.

Jackson played with the Eagles for six seasons before they released him and he signed with the Redskins. During the latter part of last season there was a lot of talk of Jackson wanting to return to Philly. But perhaps things have changed.

“My family, my house, I have everything here,” he said. “I don't want to be in a transaction, moving.”

“Now the ball is in my corner a little bit. I can sit back and say, 'Let's see what we can do. Two-year, three-year, four-year deal? Maybe a 10—ha!”

He said that he will choose the “best offer” when it does come down to time to decide. The best offer doesn’t necessarily mean the most money but now that Jackson has turned 30 this could be his last chance at a big payday. If he does offer the Redskins a hometown discount it is likely to be relatively small.

TexasRam

Legend
Let me clarify what I meant on overpay for Garçon or Jackson.

I'm not gong to get all stupid. If let's say Garçons market is 7 mil a year. I am very aware that other teams are going to Persue him. I haven't had a consistent pro bowl level WR in years. I have invested heavily in my QB, an offensive minded coach and my draft picks are limited. If I don't show HUGE interest in this WR, my odds of being the one team of say 5 teams that get him isn't very likely unless i lure him in. I start discussions with his agent in terms of the 8-9 mil range or longer guaranteed money or whatever.

Same thing with Zeiltler. A proven vet
Can demand money and will
Be highly pursued.

I'm taking my chance on awarding a few proven consistent pro bowl level players some nice contracts. They are worth every penny if they have constantly done it.

My offense is abysmal. I am targeting free agency with some rock solid players to build with. If I do not lure them with a better offer than other teams then i repeat last years results.