OFFICIAL Rams Free Agency Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
no reason why we fans can't do the same, especially when the Ogletree/Barron CAP hit comes in at near $19.3 mil.

Which brings up two questions, who do you replace them with and how do you spend that cap money? Take a guy with a history in a scheme just like Wades and replace him with somebody who plays the same position but not in a defense like Wades? And will cost more and has never played a full season. That doesn't make much sense to me. I'll trust in Wade absolutely when it comes to the players he wants but I just can't see him replacing a 3-4 ILB with a 4-3 MLB and going with the slower player.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which brings up two questions, who do you replace them with and how do you spend that cap money? Take a guy with a history in a scheme just like Wades and replace him with somebody who plays the same position but not in a defense like Wades? And will cost more and has never played a full season. That doesn't make much sense to me. I'll trust in Wade absolutely when it comes to the players he wants but I just can't see him replacing a 3-4 ILB with a 4-3 MLB and going with the slower player.

Good question, i'm gonna guess that Wade has already drawn up a short list of potential defensive free agents he might like to study further. Same with watching film of potential draftees he likes. I imagine he'll take a very close look at teams like Cleveland which are transitioning back to a base 4/3 to see if there are some 3/4 guys that fit his system for possible trades, and probably a few of his own guys playing elsewhere that he might like to have back with him. The Rams have a lot of free agents of their own, so it's quite likely the team is going to look very different, and that's without adapting any new specialty Phillips scheme players which may or may not be introduced. After its all said and done following free agency and the draft, Wade will work his magic on transforming our remaining vets to fit his vision. Whether he takes a quick or slow approach, using more free agents or relying on future drafts for the re-build, only time will tell.
While its been discussed some, I believe the Rams may want to work quick if they want to enter their shiny new stadium in 2019 as the clear local favorites over the Chargers. Not all fans are die hards like us ROD fans, if we are losing and the Chargers are play-off bound, we'll get our nose rubbed in it. I've gotta believe that Kroenke gave McVay a mandate to turn things around by our Inglewood opening, so lets get on with it. jmo.

A55VA6

Legend
I disagree. I'd rather have Garcon. Garcon is more proven, doesn't have the baggage, and knows the scheme. Britt only played 5 games with Goff. Chemistry is overrated. Goff will build chemistry with whatever WRs we give him. We have to break in a new scheme and coaching staff anyways.

I've more or less accepted that Britt is gone. I'm good with it. I don't trust him without Fisher, and I didn't like his attitude at times this year. I think Garcon's game will age better than Britt's. I think Garcon has a much better track record. I think Garcon is a better leader for this young WR corp. And I think Garcon's knowledge of the scheme would come in handy.

But yes, we definitely need to improve at WR. My preference is to add DeSean or Garcon (or both) and let Britt walk.
Can't argue with that, really.

I'm pretty confident we can bring in at least 1 of those 2 WR's and I think that will help our offense greatly.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's the problem. If he could play OLB, he would be perfect for that amount of money...... .......That's why I'm not sweating the ILB spot. Personally, I think Barron and Ogletree can handle it. But if not, I'm sure Wade can direct us to what he needs. The rest of the NFL seem to undervalue the ILBs that he likes.
I would agree completely here Jrry32 on any concerns on the two ISLB'er concerns. I feel that both Barron & Tree will excel. The depth is there too with Bryce Hager, Josh Forrest, Nic Grigsby, Reggie Northrup & Cassanova McKinzy. My concerns will be how Robert Quinn handles this Phillips defense & who will take up the important strong OSLB'er role. Who in this current roster would do that?

That's why I would be interested in Packers UFA strong side OLB Nick Perry. Having an experienced NFL 34 OLB with playoff experience & coming back to LA where he played his college ball appears to be a good fit. If your going to spend the cap $$ invest it in a pass rusher. No telling if Quinn will ever be healthy in 2017. If Quinn does what he has been doing the last two years 2015 & 2016, the Rams might have give some serious thought @ fielding one edge rusher if they signed UFA Nick Perry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1) So does Quinn play DL in a 4/3. Not sure what your comparison between Forrest & Ogletree's size is supposed to mean, they are pretty close.

Quinn isn't playing ILB in a 3-4 either. The point of my comparison between Ogletree and Forrest is that Forrest is about the same size. I'm not sure why he makes sense as a thumper either. He's not made for that role.

2) Time will tell whether he's a great fit or not, i'm not nearly as certain as you seem to be, but I am hoping for the best. I really don't care about the award, not as much as I do that he graded at #51 overall among the 87 graded LB'ers, and that his run blocking was terrible. As a 3/4 ILB, those run blocking skills requiring him to take on and chipping blockers are likely even more pronounced.

I watch the Rams every week. I don't need to use PFF's terrible grades. It's kind of odd that the Rams would have a good run defense considering our entire back seven were poor at defending the run according to PFF.

PFF doesn't account for scheme or understand how schemes and player responsibility work.

His role as a 3-4 ILB won't be any different than his role in Gregg Williams's defense. If anything, it's probably a bit easier for him.

3) I've never assumed this, and my past posts should be proof enough. I also understand that 'Phillips is known for building his defense around his talent', but there is often two ILB'ers with two different skill sets, and I question whether Ogletree can find success with either one or if he is more suitable to his old role as a WLB where he was doing very well. I also question the wisdom of paying such big money to a guy who will be playing his 3'rd position in 3 years, especially if the position isn't his best and he's a season from free agency. Ogletree isn't a thumper and he won't be playing that role, but he will be required to block or chip offensive linemen. I suspect his role would be closer to what is expected of Brandon Marshall.

It's a bit hard to believe that you don't assume this when you keep claiming that Wade Phillips is going to put Ogletree in a role that misuses his skillset. It doesn't really add up.

4) I expect that Wade will do his best to work Ogletree's strengths, but all players have strong points & flaws, and while I hope that Phillips turns 'Tree' into a HoF'er, he may yet turn out to be a better WLB than ILB.
You seem upset that someone would question his ability in this new system, but fans also question whether Hayes, Brockers, Quinn, & Barron will fare well, ... it's not out of the ordinary to seek answers where changes of responsibility occur, there will be adjustments and hopefully it all goes smoothly. You yourself gave credit to whomever was responsible for certain Denver ILB moves, stating ; 'If you look at Denver, they've treated their ILBs as replaceable', ... no reason why we fans can't do the same, especially when the Ogletree/Barron CAP hit comes in at near $19.3 mil.

I've reached the point of getting irritated by the notion that the Rams just need to trade every defensive player. People have questioned the fit and floated the idea of trading every defensive player on this team who isn't a FA, even Aaron Donald. And it often comes from misunderstanding Wade Phillips and his scheme.

Barron and Hayes are the two guys who don't 100% fit. Hayes could play a rotational role at DE. Barron could play ILB or SS. But I could see the Rams trading one or both for the right value. The other players fit this scheme perfectly well. Quinn has an identical body to a number of successful OLBs in Wade's scheme. He's the prototype for what Wade wants in a WOLB. The same is true of Ogletree at WILB.

Wade Phillips took this job for a reason. That reason wasn't to trade every player on this defense away and rebuild it from scratch. He reportedly did not want to work for the Redskins because he didn't want to have to rebuild that defense. He took our job because he felt our defense had the right pieces.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The market value on a player like Garcon or Jackson is $7 million to $9 million per year. I have a feeling that both end up in the $7.5 million to $8.5 million per year range.

If that's where you draw the line on their value, we're not going to get any FA WR without overpaying. I don't think your expectations are realistic.
That's my value on those 2. Jackson is going to want 10 million at least and Garcon is going to want that 8-9 million. Neither 1 of those guys put our receiver corps over the top so yes I put that as over paying. Like I said I understand why they would look attractive but to me the contract that they would want isn't something I would do. I would much rather pay Britt his 6-7 million per year and sign a a guy like Pryor for 10-11. If we are going to pay market value for a wr I rather he be Pryor

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
lol it's funny now how Olgetree isn't a thumper. Sounds like the same thing that was said about JL. I can't wait until people get out of that mindset that your ML has to be a thumper. The game is more faster and athletic then ever. Just look at the lineman they are big yes but they are fast and quick. The defense has to be able to counter that. Tight ends are as fast as wr now your linebackers has to be just as fast. Ogletree will get it together. I wasn't a fan of him moving to the middle but he didn't do terrible for his first time playing it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my value on those 2. Jackson is going to want 10 million at least and Garcon is going to want that 8-9 million. Neither 1 of those guys put our receiver corps over the top so yes I put that as over paying. Like I said I understand why they would look attractive but to me the contract that they would want isn't something I would do. I would much rather pay Britt his 6-7 million per year and sign a a guy like Pryor for 10-11. If we are going to pay market value for a wr I rather he be Pryor

You want to sign Pryor for $10 million to $11 million per year despite the fact that he only has one year of production, has legitimate character concerns, and didn't produce more than Jackson or Garcon?

We definitely disagree there.

I also don't know what "put our receiver corps over the top" even means.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A) Quinn isn't playing ILB in a 3-4 either. The point of my comparison between Ogletree and Forrest is that Forrest is about the same size. I'm not sure why he makes sense as a thumper either. He's not made for that role.

B) I watch the Rams every week. I don't need to use PFF's terrible grades. It's kind of odd that the Rams would have a good run defense considering our entire back seven were poor at defending the run according to PFF.
PFF doesn't account for scheme or understand how schemes and player responsibility work.
His role as a 3-4 ILB won't be any different than his role in Gregg Williams's defense. If anything, it's probably a bit easier for him.

C) It's a bit hard to believe that you don't assume this when you keep claiming that Wade Phillips is going to put Ogletree in a role that misuses his skillset. It doesn't really add up.

D) I've reached the point of getting irritated by the notion that the Rams just need to trade every defensive player. People have questioned the fit and floated the idea of trading every defensive player on this team who isn't a FA, even Aaron Donald. And it often comes from misunderstanding Wade Phillips and his scheme. Barron and Hayes are the two guys who don't 100% fit. Hayes could play a rotational role at DE. Barron could play ILB or SS. But I could see the Rams trading one or both for the right value. The other players fit this scheme perfectly well. Quinn has an identical body to a number of successful OLBs in Wade's scheme. He's the prototype for what Wade wants in a WOLB. The same is true of Ogletree at WILB.

E) Wade Phillips took this job for a reason. That reason wasn't to trade every player on this defense away and rebuild it from scratch. He reportedly did not want to work for the Redskins because he didn't want to have to rebuild that defense. He took our job because he felt our defense had the right pieces.

A) No one has used the word thumper but you. A JACK ILB doesn't necessarily call for a thumper, this is your word, not mine.

B) I also watch the Rams every week, ... I also enjoy reading PFF's take, not as a bible, but as a guideline which helps verify some of what we've seen for ourselves. Judging PFF is like judging someone else's marriage, we only get to see what little is given us by a single camera angle, rarely the entire unobstructed play. Unless you are privy to game film, you only get to see the biased view presented by the TV Network, which most always focuses on the ball. Even replays don't always tell the entire story. In an instant the ball is snapped and the camera angle changes to where the OL and much of the defense is obscured, then the camera narrows down to the ball, the carrier or QB, the receiver and ultimately the immediate defensive threat. Everyone else is out of the picture for a time, so without the complete picture of NFL film, few fans can generate an accurate portrayal of what everyone is doing. This is where PFF enters the picture, they have access to film we fans rarely see, they can go about their business relating unbiased action on the field to a grading system. No-one claims their many scouts and coaching analysts never make mistakes, but they wouldn't be in business if they had no more to go on than we fans. PFF isn't judging schemes in its grading, just the individual player on a given play.

C) I've never assumed a thing, although I reserve the right to question. I've never even said Ogletree can't meet Phillips' standard, but based on his CAP, entering free agency in a year, and his less than stellar first and perhaps last year as a 4-3 MLB, i'm not sure we will see a huge statistical improvement as a first year 3-4 ILB. I've never said any such thing as Phillips "is going to put Ogletree in a role that misuses his skill set".
Just the opposite, I feel Wade will do his best to help Ogletree, i'm just not sure whether he'll be more successful as a 3-4 ILB than as a 4-3 WLB where he has a proven skill set.

D) I'm sorry you get irritated, but i'm also yet to see a post where a fan "floated the idea of trading every defensive player on this team who isn't a FA". Fans have every right to question how a new scheme will work or how it possibly affects those few players which may need to adjust their game somewhat. Even if the challenge may be more subtle than some understand, it's still a change and some will likely prove better than others with the adjustment. Even Phillips will have to adjust some in order to adapt to his new players' skill set. Somehow, it appears you've given us permission to discuss challenges for Hayes & Barron, but ruled the others off-limits. How one reaches the conclusion that all but Hayes & Barron are a 100% fit is a bit beyond me at this point in time, but i'll go ahead and hope you are correct while also holding out hope the other two aren't that far behind.

E) Guess i'll have to accept this line as a strawman of sorts, being i've witnessed no such post by others or myself suggesting such an idea.

jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
........Barron and Hayes are the two guys who don't 100% fit. Hayes could play a rotational role at DE. Barron could play ILB or SS. But I could see the Rams trading one or both for the right value. The other players fit this scheme perfectly well. Quinn has an identical body to a number of successful OLBs in Wade's scheme. He's the prototype for what Wade wants in a WOLB. The same is true of Ogletree at WILB.......

A detailed discussion on Wm Hayes might be interesting. I have a better feeling about Hayes fitting in with the Phillip's D but I understand why some would have some concerns. Trading the soon to be 32 yr old Wm. Hayes when he has a 5.5 million salary cap hit for all takers would place that in the unlikely area. Releasing a fully healthy, well proven effective general well rounded strong side 43 DE to save close to 2.5 million in cap funds might get some considerations but I would not do it.

Hayes is a thick strong mule of a DE who back in 2013 & 2014 played a ton of interior DL & played very well. WH is 6-3 & every bit 300 pounds last season. His pass rush abilities are slowly degrading but his locker room & leadership skills are just fine. the younger stout Ethan Westbrooks is a RFA presently & has already proven in 2016 he can be every but as good as Hayes & much better than Sims @ a much cheaper salary cost. Westbrooks is an ascending player neither Sims & Hayes fall into that category. Both Sims & Hayes will cost a near 9 million this season to keep both. I am a strong advocate releasing Eugene Sims instead & save the 2.5 million

On Barron not being a Phillips fit...what else is new to Mark Barron? Barron should not be underestimated he will usually rise to the occasion if its near the LOS. Problem for the Ram Org is the serious salary cap cost of releasing Barron makes that a No Go discussion period.

Its been posted before that some members think that a move of Mark back to strong safety ....thus bumping a better well rounded DB strong safety called Mo Alexander out....NOT going to happen in 2017. Alexander is in his finale season under contract so that might be a 2018 conversation. But how many SS will make 11 million a year? The present going price for a pro bowl SS is around 6 mil. Barron has yet to have a good season playing SS in the NFL. Rams could get UFA SS TJ McDonald back @ a max of 4 million a yr so why pay Barron 10 to 11 million?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams could get UFA SS TJ McDonald back @ a max of 4 million a yr so why pay Barron 10 to 11 million?

The Rams are paying Barron that money either ways unless they trade him. Personally, I think T.J. is gone. I think moving Alexander to SS and Joyner to FS is the best use of our talent. But it might not be possible in 2017.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A) No one has used the word thumper but you. A JACK ILB doesn't necessarily call for a thumper, this is your word, not mine.

You keep describing the role as a role that the thumper would normally play (with the language you use to describe it). And I think we both recognize that it is the role a thumper normally plays. I don't see that being Ogletree's role in this defense.

B) I also watch the Rams every week, ... I also enjoy reading PFF's take, not as a bible, but as a guideline which helps verify some of what we've seen for ourselves. Judging PFF is like judging someone else's marriage, we only get to see what little is given us by a single camera angle, rarely the entire unobstructed play. Unless you are privy to game film, you only get to see the biased view presented by the TV Network, which most always focuses on the ball. Even replays don't always tell the entire story. In an instant the ball is snapped and the camera angle changes to where the OL and much of the defense is obscured, then the camera narrows down to the ball, the carrier or QB, the receiver and ultimately the immediate defensive threat. Everyone else is out of the picture for a time, so without the complete picture of NFL film, few fans can generate an accurate portrayal of what everyone is doing. This is where PFF enters the picture, they have access to film we fans rarely see, they can go about their business relating unbiased action on the field to a grading system. No-one claims their many scouts and coaching analysts never make mistakes, but they wouldn't be in business if they had no more to go on than we fans. PFF isn't judging schemes in its grading, just the individual player on a given play.

I am. NFL Rewind has All-22 film.

I've made many detailed posts why grades judging individuals without recognition of scheme are not useful. So I won't write another novel here. I'll just say that their grading system is deeply flawed and not particularly useful. Yes, it can tell you who the elite players are and the terrible players are. Beyond that, it doesn't tell you much.

C) I've never assumed a thing, although I reserve the right to question. I've never even said Ogletree can't meet Phillips' standard, but based on his CAP, entering free agency in a year, and his less than stellar first and perhaps last year as a 4-3 MLB, i'm not sure we will see a huge statistical improvement as a first year 3-4 ILB. I've never said any such thing as Phillips "is going to put Ogletree in a role that misuses his skill set".
Just the opposite, I feel Wade will do his best to help Ogletree, i'm just not sure whether he'll be more successful as a 3-4 ILB than as a 4-3 WLB where he has a proven skill set.

He was named to the All Pro team in his "less than stellar" first year as a 4-3 MLB.

The role that Phillips will likely use him in resembles that of a 4-3 WLB.

D) I'm sorry you get irritated, but i'm also yet to see a post where a fan "floated the idea of trading every defensive player on this team who isn't a FA". Fans have every right to question how a new scheme will work or how it possibly affects those few players which may need to adjust their game somewhat. Even if the challenge may be more subtle than some understand, it's still a change and some will likely prove better than others with the adjustment. Even Phillips will have to adjust some in order to adapt to his new players' skill set. Somehow, it appears you've given us permission to discuss challenges for Hayes & Barron, but ruled the others off-limits. How one reaches the conclusion that all but Hayes & Barron are a 100% fit is a bit beyond me at this point in time, but i'll go ahead and hope you are correct while also holding out hope the other two aren't that far behind.

You can do what you please. But I ran out of patience for it a long time ago. And I've gotten especially tired of seeing people downplay our defensive players while doing it.

And I never claimed that ONE fan floated the idea of trading every defensive player. I claimed that taking all of the discussions over the past month together, fans (as a collective) have floated the idea of trading just about every defensive player on this team. And that includes Aaron Donald.

E) Guess i'll have to accept this line as a strawman of sorts, being i've witnessed no such post by others or myself suggesting such an idea.

jmo.

Yet, there are plenty of posts about trading Ogletree, Barron, Hayes, Brockers, Quinn, Donald, etc. Phillips didn't take the job to gut this defense. He'll make some changes, but he's going to build around the core we have. Ogletree is one of the core members.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
of course the whole pff crew is garbage but that ONE clown who gave ogletree an all-pro vote is the real thing.
ogletree is horrible against the run. he always was. in college and the nfl. guy can't shred blocks.
barron and him as the two ilbs must be a joke. both play the moe in wades scheme.
i guess the rams just don't resign mcdonald and move barron at ss.
and why the heck should the rams move one of the best nickel corners to safety when our fs was pretty good?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams are paying Barron that money either ways unless they trade him. Personally, I think T.J. is gone. I think moving Alexander to SS and Joyner to FS is the best use of our talent. But it might not be possible in 2017.

Exactly, Barron will be paid & as things are currently Phillips needs Barron @ LB'er & does not need him in the DB. With Mark Barron's ultra high price tag why would any team trade for him? Yes TJ McDonald & his negative baggage he has collected should not return. Finally as usual in the safety unit we fully agree that if possible Mo & LJ would be the best starting 2017 safety tandem.

Your last sentence indicates you are fully aware of the big issues & decisions that must be made in the CB unit before the regular season begins. LJ (who is in his final season under contract) may be badly needed in the CB cadre unit of 2017....let hope that's not the case. I would hope that Snead & McVay could pull off a similar 2012 draft event when Snead help identify & select 2 starting Ram corners (JJ & Tru) in the second day of the draft.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You want to sign Pryor for $10 million to $11 million per year despite the fact that he only has one year of production, has legitimate character concerns, and didn't produce more than Jackson or Garcon?

We definitely disagree there.

I also don't know what "put our receiver corps over the top" even means.
I said if I were to over pay any receiver it would be Pryor. Lol what are you talking about their stats are basically identical but Pryor did that in the Cleveland offense with subpar abs and he has way more upside then either of the two. What concerns do Pryor have that Jackson doesn't have??.

Put our receiver corps over the top means finding a guy that makesbour receiver corps a legitimate threat in the passing game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said if I were to over pay any receiver it would be Pryor. Lol what are you talking about their stats are basically identical but Pryor did that in the Cleveland offense with subpar abs and he has way more upside then either of the two. What concerns do Pryor have that Jackson doesn't have??.

Yea, their stats are basically identical. That's the point. He didn't produce more than either of them. Yes, Cleveland's QBs sucked, but Washington spread the ball around in their passing game. Travis Benjamin, in 2015, produced similarly to Pryor, in 2016, with the same sort of QBs. Somebody is going to produce when you give them enough targets.

So yes, Pryor has more upside due to his age, but he also has a lot more downside because he has no track record beyond this year. It's a far greater risk on a WR who hasn't proven to be better than Jackson or Garcon.

What concerns does Pryor have? He's had multiple ex-teammates call him out, and multiple CBs have called him out. The guy has done something to make so many people dislike him.

Put our receiver corps over the top means finding a guy that makesbour receiver corps a legitimate threat in the passing game.

Then I disagree with you. Jackson or Garcon both do this. Especially if we add another WR in the Draft or FA. We need a proven player. I'll pay market value for that. Britt and Pryor would leave me very disappointed because neither is proven.

If we go for a guy like Pryor, we need to add a proven vet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly, Barron will be paid & as things are currently Phillips needs Barron @ LB'er & does not need him in the DB. With Mark Barron's ultra high price tag why would any team trade for him? Yes TJ McDonald & his negative baggage he has collected should not return. Finally as usual in the safety unit we fully agree that if possible Mo & LJ would be the best starting 2017 safety tandem.

Your last sentence indicates you are fully aware of the big issues & decisions that must be made in the CB unit before the regular season begins. LJ (who is in his final season under contract) may be badly needed in the CB cadre unit of 2017....let hope that's not the case. I would hope that Snead & McVay could pull off a similar 2012 draft event when Snead help identify & select 2 starting Ram corners (JJ & Tru) in the second day of the draft.

The Browns might be a team willing to trade for Barron. Gregg Williams seemed to really like him, and the Browns have over $100 million in cap room. To them, Barron's price tag is no big deal. It actually helps them.