Official Bears@Rams Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
So not a joke. Google it if you like.

Edit: upon further review...this very well may be reporter Marc Sessler's attempt at humor. If so, a) it's funny and b) it works because it's so utterly believable that our OC would be a PI tracking down a missing girl on the side... What threw me was that it was published on NFL.com without much tongue-in-cheek. It was published fairly straightforwardly. So, after googling the name of the missing girl and finding the ONLY results return his article... Yeah, it's probably a gag. He got me.

That said, now I'm hooked on the serial... I dunno if he can be an OC, but this gumshoe thing sounds fascinating!

Sessler is part of the Around the NFL team that do 3 podcasts a week and they're actually really entertaining and I highly recommend having a listen. Frank Cignetti does sound like the name of a PI and its a gag those guys have been running with all season. This is just an extension of that.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I just want to know why I have to be a Rams fan. I can't just stop being a Rams fan, but they piss me off so much I wish I could.

Why couldn't I have been born a Patriots fan? Why God, why?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So not a joke. Google it if you like.

Edit: upon further review...this very well may be reporter Marc Sessler's attempt at humor. If so, a) it's funny and b) it works because it's so utterly believable that our OC would be a PI tracking down a missing girl on the side... What threw me was that it was published on NFL.com without much tongue-in-cheek. It was published fairly straightforwardly. So, after googling the name of the missing girl and finding the ONLY results return his article... Yeah, it's probably a gag. He got me.

That said, now I'm hooked on the serial... I dunno if he can be an OC, but this gumshoe thing sounds fascinating!

The Case of the Missing Offense.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We sure do suck, I hate the way I get sucked in every off-season to the "this is the season" hype. I love the way Foles is still active and on the field, just hate his offensive prowess and his inability to make passes his passing yards and TD count is just shocking. Surely we can't be worse off than to start Keenum now - why not.

I also am disillusioned with our D - I mean Washington and Chicago tear us to shreds - ohhh how we do underachieve.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I just want to know why I have to be a Rams fan. I can't just stop being a Rams fan, but they pee pee me off so much I wish I could.

Why couldn't I have been born a Patriots fan? Why God, why?

Maybe its an old curse put on your ancestors. "Your children and all of your descendants will be cursed by the sign of a mountain goat for desecrating our sacred symbol, the chicken. All because you wanted a sandwich".

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Frank Cignetti and the Case of the Wounded Referee.

Frank Cignetti and the Mysterious Holding Call.

Frank Cignetti and the Disappearance of the Run Blocking LT.

These bad detective jokes doing anything for ya?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Starting today people will start posting "bright side" stuff but I'm still too depressed. Foles & the offense is the obvious focus and those complaints will be well represented, the problem is people won't admit that the defense is not in as good of place as we thought. The "it's only one game" excuse will get the D off the hook for most, but for me this exposed everything we kinda knew but didn't want to admit, the D is NOT rock solid and set for years, there's tons of work that needs to be done to replace most of the personnel. Those that think the next draft is just going to be a QB and WR to fix the offense will be sorely disappointed.

* The only rock solid pieces that consistently do their job are Donald, Quinn, TJ McDonald and just his year I'd put JJ in this category. All the rest I can take or leave at this point, and I still wouldn't overpay for or franchise JJ. I think (hope) EJ Gaines will join this group again next year, so that's some good news.

* The love for Hayes and Sims is misplaced, get rid of them in favor of the next generation of Westbrooks/Longacre. Hayes/Sims are feast or famine guys, they lack every play consistency to be real starters and the big plays they make are canceled by what they give up on most plays; overall makes them average replacements at best not starter material. The defense is far worse without Chris Long, injury is sapping his value but his every play steady production when healthy is far more valuable that the swing & miss types. Fairley is just another guy, despite what any idiot money-making grade sites claim, give me LTP next year instead.

* The success of the LBs is too much of a razor thin margin and the whole unit needs an overhaul. JL is the only fundamentally sound piece and he's pathetic athletically. Then the other guys are pathetic fundamentally despite being athletic. It relies on JL to be rock solid fundamentally, but he can't shed a block so is out of position to plug any hole or cover for the gambling-type LBs. So the entire LB contribution comes down to Ayers/Barron being in the right gap or place out of sheer scheme luck. Ogletree is even worse than Ayers/Barron in fundamentals but his extreme athletic ability makes up for it at times, but he needs a stud MLB in the middle than can complement him. I'm now on the bandwagon that the Rams must acquire a new franchise MLB to fix this defense. Unless the D-line stops the run the defense is gashed for big running plays, the problem is you have Donald and others sell out to pass rush at times that creates even bigger running lanes with no decent LB play in run support.

* Tru is just an ok CB, nothing special, too passive most of the time. McLeod had a nice run of games without mistakes to the point I was ready to admit I was wrong on him and that he could indeed be a good player, but his old self came back. Horrible angles, clearly his upside is just average with the spectre of choking on a big play always present.

Ok that's my last vent thread comment. I'm sure I'll be back to loving all these guys shortly, but had to get it out, even if nothing is making this bad taste in my mouth go away. No matter how bad our offense, there was no excuse for this defense not to crush the awful Bears. This should have been at a minimum a repeat of the Pittsburgh game but with the score reversed.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I certainly didn't expect THAT!

Words almost escape me...

I have to lay this on Fisher.

He chose the players... he chose the coaches... it's truly his team from the inside out. Can't blame Spagnuolo or Linehan any more. Can't really trot out the youth thing.

Nope, he has created a team in his own image and his image doesn't work in 2015. It did back late in the '90's and early 2000's.

But the game has moved on and Fisher has not.

His image? Create an outstanding running game (strong Oline and premier RB). Add a dominating defense (top 5 in the league) and consistent special teams.

When you build a team in this image, the margin for error is razor thin. We saw that yesterday.

IF the defense has a bad day, you're sunk.

IF the opponent dominates your Oline, your sunk.

IF the opponent keys on your premier RB and shuts him down, you're sunk.

Fisher's teams are as fragile as a Faberge egg... one bump and it all falls apart.

If the opponent goes up by 14 points, you can pretty much call it a night... the team he has built is not capable of making comebacks, unless it involves the defense.

Everything has to go his way for a Fisher team to win. Again, extremely slim margin for error.

Sadly, errors occur far too often with Fisher teams. Discipline? Nope.

So, IMHO, Fisher needs to go... his style just doesn't win consistently in today's NFL. I now believe it never will.

Saddest thing? He's not going anywhere. We have an absentee owner who is preoccupied with "other matters" (defined as how to get richer).

OK, so the words didn't escape me... I did say "almost". :LOL:

I think the best way to describe how i fell today is... empty.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some actually thought we were a playoff contender. We're nothing of the sort. I don't see us reaching .500. We have 7 games left and I don't see us winning 4 to get to .500. Another 6 or 7 win season. A Jeff Fisher trait.
This is, admittedly, a "homer board". Most members are eternally optimistic.

I admire that.

Unfortunately, the body blows this team administers are that much harder to take when you are an optimist.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hahahahahaha 4 years in and we're putting in performances that Spags would even balk at?

I'm through.
I'd have to say that the thought ran through my mind yesterday....

This looks like a Spags team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You got to admit Fisher looks impressive on the sideline with his arms folded like a statue.....impressive indeed. :confused:
He does strike an impressive image.

I think a lot of Rams fan bought into the image... just needed to look closely at the record and read Titan fan boards.

Those told me everything I needed to prepare for the Jeff Fisher years.

Sure was hard trying to prepare others, though.

A55VA6

Legend
Re-watched the game from yesterday and Nick Foles is awful in every aspect. Decision making, accuracy, timing, mechanics, etc.

In the next few games if the Rams basically get eliminated from playoff contention, I woudn't mind starting Mannion just to see where he's at.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Foles trade was bad

And made worse by signing him to an extension before they had a firm grasp on which Nick Foles they acquired.

I know a lot of fans are still high on Snead, but my overall take is he's average... at best.

Kind of a reflection of this team.

You are not a talented team if you perform like this. It's not all coaching.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They say "timing is everything".

Weren't Fox and Gase available this past off season?

Fox has a proven record of not only getting teams out of the dulldrums, but getting them into the playoffs.

Fisher has a proven record of... well... not a whole heck of a lot.

Gase has a proven record of knowing how to run a productive offense.

Cignetti has a... guess I have to stop there...

Think of this... instead of having Fisher and Cignetti running our offense... we could have had Fox and Gase.

Some of those play calls (especially that screen against the blitz) were "professional grade".

I'd lay a significant amount of money down saying that, if Fox and Gase were running the Rams offense, we'd be 6-3 right now (at the worst).

A55VA6

Legend
The last 4 games we converted 8 of our last 51 3rd downs. For the season just we're just 24%. No other team below 30%.

Psycho_X

Legend
Some of those play calls (especially that screen against the blitz) were "professional grade".

Aye, this is my biggest beef with this offense is that none of the play calling seems to really match the flow of the game like other offenses do. It's like we just throw the same plays at the other team week in and week out... some times multiple times in a single game... and hope they work. Doesn't seem like we call any plays based on what we think the defense may or may not be doing or to try and maintain rhythm or get the opposing defense out of a certain rhythm. Just kills me. This game and the Green Bay game were the most unbelievable in regards to this.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well, I certainly didn't expect THAT!

Words almost escape me...

I have to lay this on Fisher.

He chose the players... he chose the coaches... it's truly his team from the inside out. Can't blame Spagnuolo or Linehan any more. Can't really trot out the youth thing.

Nope, he has created a team in his own image and his image doesn't work in 2015. It did back late in the '90's and early 2000's.

But the game has moved on and Fisher has not.

His image? Create an outstanding running game (strong Oline and premier RB). Add a dominating defense (top 5 in the league) and consistent special teams.

When you build a team in this image, the margin for error is razor thin. We saw that yesterday.

IF the defense has a bad day, you're sunk.

IF the opponent dominates your Oline, your sunk.

IF the opponent keys on your premier RB and shuts him down, you're sunk.

Fisher's teams are as fragile as a Faberge egg... one bump and it all falls apart.

If the opponent goes up by 14 points, you can pretty much call it a night... the team he has built is not capable of making comebacks, unless it involves the defense.

Everything has to go his way for a Fisher team to win. Again, extremely slim margin for error.

Sadly, errors occur far too often with Fisher teams. Discipline? Nope.

So, IMHO, Fisher needs to go... his style just doesn't win consistently in today's NFL. I now believe it never will.

Saddest thing? He's not going anywhere. We have an absentee owner who is preoccupied with "other matters" (defined as how to get richer).

OK, so the words didn't escape me... I did say "almost". :LOL:

I think the best way to describe how i fell today is... empty.

I am 100% in agreement about offensive philosophy.